PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever had this issue with their AK?

223addict
01-26-2009, 7:52 PM
I fired it once and wasn't expecting this to happen, so I couldn't tell what went wrong, but the dust cover flew off my AK I fired. I checked everything out and replaced the cover. making sure it engaged securely, fired again, and the dust cover flew off again.

Any Ideas?

nrakid88
01-26-2009, 7:57 PM
Does it feel loose when its on? Try putting it on and cycling the bolt, does it fall off? Can you pull on it and see if it gets loose during anypoint in the bolts cycling? Im not an AK man, but I know the more info you put up here the faster you'll get good feedback on how to fix it.

salvageland
01-26-2009, 7:59 PM
this happened to me once....i think some of the bullet loads are too hot and it forces the bolt carrier all the way back and pulling back on the top cover where the bolt handle meets it..... hasn't happened ever again though...

EBR Works
01-26-2009, 8:02 PM
Sounds silly but make sure it is on tight. There is a bit of technique to get it on correctly. Insert the front of the dust cover into the opening below the rear sight block, then simultaneously push down and forward at the rear until the release button pops out of the rear of the cover. The front of the dust cover should be fully in the opening below the sight block. It's easy to get it on partially and it will pop off.

chuck762
01-26-2009, 8:02 PM
Sounds like the receiver is a little too long. Is this a home bent/built/assembled receiver?
A quick fix is to weld or braze on a thin piece of sheet metal on the rear of it and blend it in. Then refinish it.

savageevo
01-26-2009, 9:10 PM
If the bolt carrier is hitting the cover when it flies back, try to find out where it is hitting and either bend the cover if possible or dremmel the area where it is hitting. good luck

mvpatriot
01-26-2009, 9:25 PM
screw the cover! It's an AK!

herburt
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
you should lose the dust cover, shove some mud in there and you should be gtg.

GoingPro
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
you should lose the dust cover, shove some mud in there and you should be gtg.

+1 to that

mblat
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
cover.... who need stink'ng cove anyway?

jeffyboy
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, I had it happen to my first AK. The cover would pop right up after a few rounds. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they checked it out and rolled a new cover. They test fired it to make sure it was good to go.

With the cover in place can you move it? If it's loose you should replace it.

JTROKS
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Take the dust cover off and replace it with duct tape. Duct tape just doesn't come in silver you know.

Lateralus
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Yes, I had it happen to my first AK. The cover would pop right up after a few rounds. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they checked it out and rolled a new cover. They test fired it to make sure it was good to go.

-1 manliness point. Every AK problem can be solved with a hammer and pliers. :)

In all seriousness, every AK I've ever owned has needed the dust cover bent around in some way. It isnt rocket science; just take a long, good look at it and make the necessary adjustments. Beer helps.

Trench Broom
01-27-2009, 3:56 AM
After the dust cover is properly installed, firmly push it all the way forward until it stops. Is there a gap between the back of the cover and the rear trunnion? If it's not too much, you can carefully bend the metal ( underneath the opening where the spring latch fits through ) out slightly with some smooth-jawed pliars to increase the length a bit, and create a closer fit.