PDA

View Full Version : History lesson, Who made the first mag locks for OLL?

cj cake
01-26-2009, 5:30 PM
I have been wondering about this for a while. The first one I bought was a stainless steel mag lock from SemiAutoSam. I also remember one from sporting conversions a while back. So who pioneered the OLL mag lock? In what order were they introduced, and what happened to SemiAutoSam?
Maybe someone can answer this.

Jicko
01-26-2009, 5:31 PM
Sporting Conversion.

Hopi
01-26-2009, 5:31 PM
Prince 50 for the CA market.

But Sporting Conversions had a maglock out years before 2005.

The BB came 1.5 years after the first OLL made it into the state.

Jicko
01-26-2009, 5:34 PM
SAS one is "after" Sporting Conversion's.

Then come P50 commercialization of the "set-screw" mag lock.

After than, is P50's Bullet Button.

Then B-15.

Then Raddlock.

Then B-16.

cj cake
01-26-2009, 5:39 PM
Does anyone know if a "Sporting Conversion" mag lock is still sold anywhere?

Jicko
01-26-2009, 5:41 PM
Does anyone know if a "Sporting Conversion" mag lock is still sold anywhere?

I have some for sale.... IF you are intersted.... PM me.

Ak47owner
01-26-2009, 5:42 PM
What about the bushmaster carbon 15.. would that fall in to this discussion? Because it was one of the very first sealed mag wells. Not BB related though.

Jicko
01-26-2009, 5:45 PM
What about the bushmaster carbon 15.. would that fall in to this discussion? Because it was one of the very first sealed mag wells. Not BB related though.

Of course NOT. Those are "CA specific" lower receivers..... like the FAB10 etc... we are talking about OLL, the true, real, "AR-15" lower receivers.... those can be made "free" once you are outside of CA.... and can again be made "CA-legal" when you come back in....

Hopi
01-26-2009, 5:47 PM
SAS one is "after" Sporting Conversion's.

Then come P50 commercialization of the "set-screw" mag lock.

After than, is P50's Bullet Button.

Then B-15.

Then Raddlock.

Then B-16.

What about that guy offering the $1 do-it-yourself kits? :D

maybe I can find that thread....

Ha: Look what Jicko's done now.... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32499&highlight=prince+50)

Ak47owner
01-26-2009, 5:47 PM
Of course NOT. Those are "CA specific" lower receivers..... like the FAB10 etc... we are talking about OLL, the true, real, "AR-15" lower receivers.... those can be made "free" once you are outside of CA.... and can again be made "CA-legal" when you come back in....

It was just a thought :surrender:

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2009, 6:11 PM
Back in '03 or '04, there was a guy selling 80% recievers at some of the Socal gun shows. He also sold his own mag lock AND his own BB as well as all the jigs and tooling to finish 80% recievers.

Casual Observer
01-26-2009, 6:27 PM

That was actually made up by Evan (of Evan's Shooter's World and Gunsmithing infamy) and he actually owns a patent on the aluminum version, hence why the Bushmasters are made out of plastic.

He even got a letter, signed by everyone's favorite DOJ agent Iggy, saying his sealed mag well is "CA legal". He hands out a copy of this letter with every rifle he sells.

He still spreads plenty of misinformation. He asserts that any AR-15 configuration not given the DOJ blessing of a letter is illegal and so forth. And that his rifles (starting at about $2500) are the only truly legal ones.

Imagine the look on people's faces when I tell them their Colt and Bushmaster lowers, modified by Evan's, are actually listed lowers and are illegal no matter how they are modified.

evollep3
01-26-2009, 7:37 PM
reading the jicko thread i thought Prince had a patent on all his buttons?

Flying Bones
01-26-2009, 7:48 PM
That was actually made up by Evan (of Evan's Shooter's World and Gunsmithing infamy) and he actually owns a patent on the aluminum version, hence why the Bushmasters are made out of plastic.

He even got a letter, signed by everyone's favorite DOJ agent Iggy, saying his sealed mag well is "CA legal". He hands out a copy of this letter with every rifle he sells.

He still spreads plenty of misinformation. He asserts that any AR-15 configuration not given the DOJ blessing of a letter is illegal and so forth. And that his rifles (starting at about $2500) are the only truly legal ones.

Imagine the look on people's faces when I tell them their Colt and Bushmaster lowers, modified by Evan's, are actually listed lowers and are illegal no matter how they are modified.

Do you know where Evan's Shooters World was located? Was it Marysville?

Jicko
01-26-2009, 7:52 PM
reading the jicko thread i thought Prince had a patent on all his buttons?

Nope.

Jicko
01-26-2009, 7:53 PM
What about that guy offering the $1 do-it-yourself kits? :D

maybe I can find that thread....

Ha: Look what Jicko's done now.... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32499&highlight=prince+50)

:D

I didn't even make a dollar..... I just provided info for the community to benefit....

mvpatriot
01-26-2009, 9:56 PM
:D

I didn't even make a dollar..... I just provided info for the community to benefit....

+1 to that!
Thats why I laughed when I got flamed for wondering why people were trying to sell a tap kit for the rear takedown pin instead of SHARING info.