PDA

View Full Version : Proof of residency for long gun?

liquidmx
01-26-2009, 4:25 PM
I purchased a firearm that's about a 2.5 hr drive from where I lived. (I was traveling through, noticed the shop, stopped in, and got a decent deal, total impulse buy, but whatever, haha.).

Anyways, the person behind the counter informed me that I needed to show proof of residency for a long gun when I come in to pick it up in 11 days. (I didnt get into the 11 day thing). Do you need to show proof of residency for a long gun? I cannot remember if I did with my last purchase (as of late I have been on a handgun kick). I am concerned for two reasons...One the only thing I have for proof of residence are OHV registrations (which I will bring with me but I am not sure how they will react to this even though the shops in the bay area are good with it). But I want to cover all bases and make sure I understand things properly.

Any help and links to supporting materials are appreciated. I already looked through the DOJ FAQ and couldnt find anything specific for what's required for long gun purchases...then again I am a newb at this legal stuff.

Thanks again!;)

Edit: Just found what I was looking for on the CA DOJ website. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Salty
01-26-2009, 4:36 PM
Was it a Big 5? I got the same 11 day wait and request for proof of residence when buying a lever gun at Big 5. I think it's just company / store policy. That, or mistraining.

For whatever reason, some gun stores would rather over-regulate than read the laws.

ETD1010
01-26-2009, 4:40 PM
The new 4473 from has a new option under the driver's license # section. it now states "alternate form of identification is address does not match driver license, or ID provided". I take that as needing an alternate form, but only if your id shows a different address than where you live.

ZRX61
01-26-2009, 4:46 PM
Was it a Big 5? I got the same 11 day wait and request for proof of residence when buying a lever gun at Big 5. I think it's just company / store policy. That, or mistraining.

For whatever reason, some gun stores would rather over-regulate than read the laws.

It's actually 10 days at Big5.. providing you show up on the 10th day just a bit later in the day than you did on the day of purchase. Last time I was there it was 2 minutes later than I had been on the day of purchase... That was good enough.

liquidmx
01-26-2009, 5:07 PM
Nope, this was a mom & pop shop.

Salty
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
It's actually 10 days at Big5.. providing you show up on the 10th day just a bit later in the day than you did on the day of purchase. Last time I was there it was 2 minutes later than I had been on the day of purchase... That was good enough.

Depends on the Big 5 I guess. On my pickup slip they wrote down 8am on the 11th day (when they open up) when I could have legally picked it up the night before.