PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Handgun or Longgun

Kestryll
01-26-2009, 3:48 PM
Okay, not only do I need some info but i think a primer on this might be a good thread to have on hand.

What are the procedures for flying with a firearm?
Special things to do, look for or declare on check in?
What special things do you need?
Special locks? Special case? Paperwork? Etc.

stphnman20
01-26-2009, 3:51 PM
Yes delcare at check in! IF possible call in advanced.
Bring 2 locks. One for the gun and one for the case.
I Never brought paper work with me but it's a good ideal..

Kestryll
01-26-2009, 3:54 PM
Oh, also meant to add, what about ammo?

stphnman20
01-26-2009, 3:59 PM
Don't know about ammo.. sorry..

Matt C
01-26-2009, 3:59 PM
This is what I've always done, I know some people do it differently:

Hard gun case inside soft luggage/bag. Locked with TSA locks (that they can open). I declare the stuff at check in, show the desk person that everything is unloaded, fill out the card, they stick it inside the hard case, and everything goes on the conveyor belt. I put a bit of scotch tape on the back side of the hard case before it goes back in the bag, and as yet, my stuff has never been inspected by TSA. (Probably a dozen trips).

Obviously you could go through the whole thing where TSA inspects it in front of you and you lock it with "real" locks, but if someone really wants in your case they will probably get in. I don't travel with high value firearms, if I need to I fedex them overnight with extra insurance. And I don't want to hassle with TSA, esp with OLLS.

I never used a gun lock.

Ammo is ok as long as it's a small amount (how much depends on the carrier EMAIL to ask so you have the response in writing) and it's in the factory eggcrate box. Mags are ok if in a holster (the primer just has to be protected) but they might hassle you for that.

HowardW56
01-26-2009, 5:05 PM
This is what I've always done, I know some people do it differently:

Hard gun case inside soft luggage/bag. Locked with TSA locks (that they can open). I declare the stuff at check in, show the desk person that everything is unloaded, fill out the card, they stick it inside the hard case, and everything goes on the conveyor belt. I put a bit of scotch tape on the back side of the hard case before it goes back in the bag, and as yet, my stuff has never been inspected by TSA. (Probably a dozen trips).

Obviously you could go through the whole thing where TSA inspects it in front of you and you lock it with "real" locks, but if someone really wants in your case they will probably get in. I don't travel with high value firearms, if I need to I fedex them overnight with extra insurance. And I don't want to hassle with TSA, esp with OLLS.

I never used a gun lock.

Ammo is ok as long as it's a small amount (how much depends on the carrier EMAIL to ask so you have the response in writing) and it's in the factory eggcrate box. Mags are ok if in a holster (the primer just has to be protected) but they might hassle you for that.

My experience has been similar, but I never bother with putting the case inside another bag. I did get rejected for ammo once, but I had it in plastic reloading case, I have never had a box of factory ammo questioned. I don't bother with a gun or trigger lock, just the TSA locks on a hard case.

Basically the same drill: Declare it, fill out the form, demonstrate that the weapon is unloaded, place the form and weapon back into the case lock it, hand it to the agent... I have never had TSA open the case...

One note, I always hustle from the aircraft to the baggage claim area, it would be easy for someone else to pick the case up and leave... I've always beat the bags to the claim area...

Have a good flight!!

Python2
01-26-2009, 5:14 PM
If you are going out of the country like hunting in Africa for example, in addition to what was metioned above you need to get US custom certificate for all FA you are carrying. You need to bring your FA to the nearest US Custom to validate serial number and give you the little rice paper. You need this certificate when returning to the US.

Matt C
01-26-2009, 5:17 PM
One note, I always hustle from the aircraft to the baggage claim area, it would be easy for someone else to pick the case up and leave... I've always beat the bags to the claim area...

Yeah, that's why I put the case in another bag, less obvious.

Liberty1
01-26-2009, 5:18 PM
:xeno:

oops, sorry boss :D

HowardW56
01-26-2009, 5:19 PM

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

HowardW56
01-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Yeah, that's why I put the case in another bag, less obvious.

Good point, but I usually just fly from LAX to Sacramento or San Jose and back the same day, no luggage, just a soft briefcase..

So the hard case is my only luggage...

Kestryll
01-26-2009, 5:30 PM

Yeah, I didn't search Mr. Smarty-pants!! :D

Search on this site sucks, someone should do something about it.... ;)

stphnman20
01-26-2009, 5:32 PM
Search on this site sucks, someone should do something about it.... ;)
Tell me about it! :p

Fate
01-26-2009, 5:41 PM
Search on this site sucks, someone should do something about it.... ;)The first step to recovery is admitting the problem. :D

lioneaglegriffin
01-26-2009, 5:41 PM
Oh, also meant to add, what about ammo?

so long as it isn't loose and is secure. an ammo case is fine. as a screener we never treated a long gun or handgun as a big deal in baggage. one marine tried to bring his m4 through passenger screening :eek:. We were easy him because he was in the service & he was going to iraq.

straight from the site.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Firearms & Ammunition

Photo of a firearm improperly packaged. You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Photo of a firearm properly packaged. We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

itchy finger
01-26-2009, 6:22 PM
Check the TSA web site. They list everything you need to do. I have foun d different procedures at several airports. They want everything packaged the same though. Put some type of a gun lock (trigger or cable) on the firearm, place into a lockable hard case and lock it inside your luggage. If it is a rifle, then it will need its own hard case since it won't fit into luggage. Declare it at the check in desk, but before you get in line, advise one of the airline personnel at the front of the line that you have a firearm. You will probably get placed into a short line for people with special items to check (large or over sized bags). The check in person will have you open the gun case and show that the firearm is locked and unloaded, give yoy a card to fill out and place inside the gun case, re-lock it and send it on its way or send you with the bag to the TSA inspection area. As far as ammo goes, it needs to be in the original box or some other type of container that prevents it from rolling around. The TSA web site lists everything out that you need to do. I have not used the TSA approved locks on my bag since it always get inspected with me there. Hope this helped.

bwiese
01-26-2009, 6:39 PM
Kes,

I regularly fly with guns & ammo - often several reg'd AWs. Never a problem.

In fact, I may need to travel to LA to demonstrate to the LA Gun Unit it's legal to fly with AWs as I would have made an appointment to see The Right People ;)

Double-check with your airline(s) that declared guns are allowed. There could be some bad airlines out there. Get their policy from their website and print it out/bring it with you so you can refute any FUD from counter personnel.

Add an extra 30 minutes just in case - though I've cut it down to 15min at SJC and SFO if I'm not flying out at terribly busy time.

You do NOT have to put any stickers - "Gun Inside", etc. - indicating presence of firearm. That's prohibited by law as it could be a big 'Steal Me' sticker. Still, it's pretty hard to not guess what's in a 46" long Starlite case with padlocks :)

Ammo must be separate from gun. While it isn't required, I ask for a separate 'Firearms Declared' red tag to put in the bag (usu my clothes bag) with the ammo. I think it's sensible to have one tag per bag with a gun item in it - just may reduce potential drama (what if your rifle were lost, [won't happen] and the ammo was detected in a bag without the firearms declaration tag?) Any container with guns needs, of course, a signed "Firearms Declared" tag.

Ammo must be boxed in factory box or secure container, and usual limit is 11lbs (could vary by airline). I've flown with an ammo box of mixed 223/308/45 ammo in my [reinforced] hanging bag, "just 'cuz".

You are swearing under oath and penalties that the guns are unloaded. There is really no need for the gate girl to check whether or not the gun is unloaded. If that is actual airline policy, ask the agent if she really would know what the gun looks like loaded vs unloaded. Request a private screening room "because pulling the gun out might make a lotta people nervous."

If your gun case can accommodate, break down rifles. On handguns, run a cable lock thru bbl/slide, and/or separate slide from frame. (Consequent easy visbility on TSA scanner may allow them to not open case.)

It's a good idea to put some biz cards or printouts with your name/ address/ cell phone #/ destination / destination contact inside your gun case and luggage.

In theory (FAA rules), no one is supposed to have access to lock key or combination except you. That may mean long delays while you meet with TSA in a special area. To 'go with the flow', you could use TSA locks on your gun case. I give sealed envelope w/combo code to agent - along with my cellphone #! - and it's given to TSA guys if they wanna open or inspect. This is far less likely to delay your travel than accumulation of waits finding a private area for you to open for TSA, etc. [This can really vary by airport architecture since TSA is often way removes from passenger area and is in bowels of airport.]

If the TSA and FAA and BATFE want to get into a p*ssing match over who has a right to access/inspect your case at what time, fine - "TSA says give us the combo" is legit request from law enforcement authority. It's not your job to separate which agency can pee highest on the totem pole. (In reality there'll be no grief.) Plan B is to give them the key and then they will return it to you - stick around near the counter for return of key (or they may call your cell#). (Bring a spare!)

On multileg flights with tight connections ask the gate folks at your next flight if your luggage has made it. They'll probably assure you it has. Then mention you are travelling with legally-declared firearms in your luggage, and wish to ensure your luggage won't end up circling the conveyor in Hoboken exposed to Colombian luggate thieves while you're enroute to Boise. They'll often get a serious non-blonde look and then ask for a physical luggage check of your items with the ground crew (and recitation of what bags of yours they see ("Uh yeah, one black heavy hanging bag, one big long green thing,...")

I avoided lost luggage on a tight connection in PDX once, by doing this, and was upgraded to First class. In fact I now recommend flying with guns as it lets you have more control/monitoring of your luggage ;)

Do not rely on your luggage w/gun being kept at "Oversize Luggage Office" (or whatever name they use) just because you requested "Hold for Verified ID". That's a pretty idea, but things get busy and little things like this slip on a busy day.

When you arrive at your destination, don't linger. Deplane quickly, don't take time to get coffee, visit at the gate, pee, etc. Stride briskly to your luggage conveyor - sometimes planes + ground crew can emit luggage faster than folks can get off and walk down the councourse.

You wanna be at the carousel when your luggage/rifle case is dropped from the chute!!

Dressing nicely helps - shined shoes, press pants. I usu have my S&W cap on but otherwise look sharp - once was thought as a factory rep for HK (hey it was the free shirt I got with my USP 40 ;)

rabagley
01-26-2009, 7:17 PM
I travel fairly frequently with firearms.

Don't trust the airline websites to provide complete information on guns and ammunition. You have to satisfy both the airline and the TSA. This is slightly more of a pain on ammunition than on firearms. The TSA states that ammunition has to be in a separate suitcase or locked container from any firearm. Each airline has their own rules on ammunition and they change them (just to be a PITA, I suspect).

Basically, up to three unloaded guns in a locked case (a real key lock, not a TSA lock), optionally within another bag. You will need to be prepared to quickly demonstrate that the gun is unloaded to someone who does not understand guns. Make it easy to get to the guns, and put them back. The appearance of the guns should make it painfully clear that they are unloaded. For any gun where you might have to peer into a chamber (semiautos, revolvers, bolt actions, etc.), I like to separate the gun into two or more parts. For lever actions, having the action open is sufficient.

As for ammunition, you need a locked case without a firearm in it (TSA rule). If reloads, pack the ammo in factory-looking boxes. Despite their superiority, MTM boxes will not do (I wonder if you could make up a factory-like label and make them look like a better-than-usual factory box). The (ammo + case) may have weight limits (no more than 11 lbs), number of rounds limits (no more than 50 rounds), or other limits (these are airline specific rules and the specifics change frequently). Look up the airline specific rules several days before your flight. Ammunition components (empty casings, etc.) are often subject to the same rules, so if you policed your empties, put them back in the box and bring the whole box back.

After demonstrating that the guns are unloaded and signing the waiver, you need to be the only person holding the key(s) to the lock(s). Depending on the airport, you may need to wait for TSA to inspect your bag, or you may just need to stay close to the gate so that they can get the key when they need it. At LAX you should wait near the TSA inspection station where they scan your bags until they give you a thumbs-up or call you over to give them the key. At any other airport, ask what you should do.

Depending on the number of rounds you're bringing, there is a worst case. Be prepared to ship your ammo via UPS ground. You'll need to label the package "ORM-D" and declare the contents to the UPS employee you ship it through. Do not expect to have just any UPS reshipper be able to accept a package containing ammunition. Some will, some won't. Best bet is to drive directly to a UPS depot to ship the package.

tiki
01-26-2009, 7:37 PM
Its pretty painless to fly with firearms.
I even flew to Vegas with 2 handguns on 9/11/02. I just loved pulling them out at the counter to demonstrate that they were unloaded, as a previous poster mentioned, to someone that had no clue what an unloaded gun looked like.

My only concern when travelling with firearms is theft or loss of baggage. The agents usually don't have a clue. They just looked at the gun, ask if its unloaded. I had one look at the magazine in the gun and say that it was loaded, so I ejected it to show her that there were no rounds in it and that was that.

I always lock my bag with my lock. ALWAYS. I usually get to the airport early enough that I don't mind waiting for TSA if I had to, but I have never waited more than 5 or 10 mins and that was at Vegas and Orlando because of the crowds. Sacramento is a breeze.

Anyway, after showing that the gun is unloaded, I sign the little tag, put it in my guns case, and lock the case (its the combination lock kind). Then, I put that in my suitcase and lock it with my padlock and inform the agent that I want to walk over to TSA and wait there until they say they don't need to get into it. Once they xray it and they are ok with the bag, then they put the TSA sticker on it and away it goes.

The only time I have had an issue was once I was going to Vegas to Front Sight for an armorer's course and I had a can of compressed air in the bag with the gun case. They flagged me on the compressed air and said that it was not allowed. I then told them that it was just like Right Guard except without the stinky stuff inside. A few head scratches and the bag went, gun and compressed air.

I haven't flown with long guns before but I would imagine that it would be a lot harder to steal a big locked case. You might also want to check what the maximum that the airlines cover for lost bags. Most are around $2500, so if you may only want to take one of your Les Baers with you. :)

I usually don't fly with ammo. It's just a hassle with the extra weight. You can get all dressed up if you want, I don't. I wear jeans and a tshirt and a hat on backwards. This is America and I'm not breaking any laws. I don't need to act like i'm applying for a job or trying to sneak something into the country. Relax, fly the friendly skies. :)

Synergy
01-26-2009, 8:25 PM
I have flown with handguns. Never a long gun. I either read a TSA or airline site that no one can inspect your firearm with out you present. Never hand over keys or combo.

My experience is only with United. I open the case at the counter, insert the orange card lock it back up and the agent sends it down the conveyor. I have always been asked to wait beside the counter for clearance. Usually a TSA agent comes out and says your clear, good to go. Then I head to the gate like normal.

Everything else has already been stated. I never carried ammo.

yellowfin
01-26-2009, 9:17 PM
I keep my pistols stripped when flying because any idiot can look for half a second, even if totally unfamiliar, and tell it's unloaded. Also they can see it's unloaded when they run it through the Xrays that way.

lioneaglegriffin
01-26-2009, 9:28 PM
I either read a TSA or airline site that no one can inspect your firearm with out you present.

this is true if they need to do something they will call you down to address the problem.

KimoBBZ
01-26-2009, 9:41 PM
From another thread... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1911219+1 I've done a fair amount of flying and the one thing I can say is that the regs from each airline VARY WIDELY and so does the knowledge of them by their counter staff. Moreso when flying out of CA... airline staff in just about any other state in the union seem more familliar with the process. Plus now you've got the TSA to deal with.

Do your homework.

1. Check the regs for the city you are flying to - make sure your firearm, accessories, and ammo are legal.

2. Check the airline regs online & print them off to BRING WITH YOU when checking in. I used to call too, to verify. How the firearm is secured, ammo limits and etc. will be detailed on their web site. Some want the pistol in a seperate locked container, placed inside your luggage, others allow it to be thrown loose (but unloaded) in a locked luggage. Some specify the luggage needs to be "hardsided", some require ammo to be factory boxed, seperated from the pistol, some allow several pounds of ammo, some limit the number of rounds. And on it goes...

3. Transport as legal & normal to the airport, already in the LOCKED LUGGAGE. Be EARLY, add another 45 min when traveling with firearms. You'll need to check-in manually (no unassisted, express check in for us firearm owners!) and simply state quietly to the conter person "I have an unloaded firearm to declare". It's at this moment you'll know if you'll need those regs you printed out. :cool:

They will either say "Oh, set it aside" and will process you as normal then call the TSA person over to walk you and your luggage/firearm to "the spot" for inspection... or semi-freakout and say something like "I'll be right back" be prepared for them to scamper until they find someone who DOES know what to do.

4. Same with the TSA, treatment here will vary, some know the drill and are casually cautious... some are openly suspicious and try to "interview" you. As with LEO, less is more, say as little as possible, but like Patrick Swayze says "Be NICE, until it's time to NOT BE NICE".

As I typically travel with 3 pistols and all that goes with them, to the unfamilliar that might seem excessive for a vacation trip to Florida I guess, as I was subjected to unnecessary comments between the TSA folks (in front of my family, mind you) along the lines of "If he's not a cop, I wonder why he needs all this?" , "Wonder where the war is?", etc. Finally one of them actually directed a comment to me: "Are you a competition shooter or something?" I replied simply "no". He pressed: "Well, why to you bring all this with you?"

I replied simply, making good eye contact: "Because, it's my legal right to." It was all business after that, but be careful with these guys... they could on a whim, delay you further and mess up your time table.

This was a single incident,most times things go really smooth, if slow - give yourself plenty of time when flying with weapons.

anthonyca
01-26-2009, 9:43 PM

LOL thats great.:D

Matt C
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Ammomust be separate from gun.

FUD From Bill?!?!?:eek: Say it ain't so!

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

bwiese
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM

TSA may indeed say that.

Last I checked with my airlines, they generally required that.

I'd rather not have to deal with details after a long line and risk missing my flight due to arguments.

Matt C
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
TSA may indeed say that.

Last I checked with my airlines, they generally required that.

I'd rather not have to deal with details after a long line and risk missing my flight due to arguments.

Which airline? I've never heard that... Anyways that's why I email first to get a written answer on policies, something like does your airline follow these TSA guideline and those paste the TSA regs.

artherd
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I have frequently flown with boxed ammo - and loaded mags - in the same hard case as my unloaded firearm.

I will not give TSA my combination per federal law (FARs are law). If they press me, they can talk to Don & Chuck.

I have never been asked, and flying with firearms has been a pleasant and easy experience. (except for one time when my luggage was "delayed"...)

rabagley
01-27-2009, 7:42 AM

When I travelled in December 2008 with my guns, the TSA agent required that the ammo be in a separate case from any gun and stated that this was based on a recent memo. I had the TSA regs with me and printed out and he said that the web site may be out of date. The airline (Southwest) had no such regulation and was more than happy to allow the ammo in the same box.

Kinda screwed me up because after pulling the gun case apart to pull the ammo, I had to check my carry-on with the ammo in it and I don't like to check my carry-on. That's what I carry so that I can still do business if the airline loses everything else.

baldoHHO
01-27-2009, 8:27 AM
As far as long guns- theyre inspected at a special section at TSA and are
always loaded last and off loaded first- First class treatment- most handlers are admirers/fans. This is what we did when i was with the airlines. Btw-
there is a special approved container for long gun (s).

bwiese
01-27-2009, 9:00 AM
I have frequently flown with boxed ammo - and loaded mags - in the same hard case as my unloaded firearm.

I will not give TSA my combination per federal law (FARs are law). If they press me, they can talk to Don & Chuck.

With risk of a flight delay looming I don't want to get into an interagency p*ssing match.

If TSA says they want the key, fine. TSA can deal with FAA, as I am acting under a request from a law enforcement agency - it's not my job to figure out who's top dog.

As for ammo separately, it also is helpful (again some airline rules can vary). Rather than worry about grief of delays I wanna make things smooth.

It's much different than if I'm driving my truck and a cop gives me grief - I'll take my time there.

Matt C
01-27-2009, 9:07 AM
As for ammo separately, it also is helpful (again some airline rules can vary). Rather than worry about grief of delays I wanna make things smooth.

It's much different than if I'm driving my truck and a cop gives me grief - I'll take my time there.

Fair enough but you said "Ammo must be separate from gun." :fud: ;)

11Z50
01-27-2009, 9:19 AM
I've found it varies between airlines as well. I always call ahead, or drop by a few days in advance to make sure there are no changes, or if there are any additional requirements.

For example, one airlines required the pistol to be in a locked case, ammo in a factory box, but OK in the same piece of luggage. Another wanted the ammo in a separate piece of luggage, but didn't care what kind of container it was in.

When I was commuting to Virginia to work, I bought a box of good JHPs and left them with a colleague there. That way, I just had to transport the pistol in the locked case, which was a bit easier. When the contract was over, he got a box of free ammo for his trouble.

One unexpected advantage to getting a pistol thru security happened at Ronald Reagan when flying home. I was flying Alaska Air, and declared the handgun at the check in. The nice lady at the counter called TSA and walked me past the long line and had them check my pistol, and bags thru the checkpoint. That saved me quite a wait in line.

My experience is that if you do a little research in advance it will save you lots of time (and aggravation) later.

megavolt121
01-27-2009, 9:38 AM
I would suggest against flying with a firearm as they are identified as a firearm and the folks at TSA get to see/touch/drool over them. There is also the possibility of one of them snatching it or telling someone down the line to.

When I have had to travel with a firearm, I usually mail it to myself to save the hassles. Arrange to use a friend or family members' address if possible, if not, contact a UPS Store or your hotel ahead of time to expect a package. Since its boxed up, no one will have any idea of what's inside.

Glock22Fan
01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Read the TSA site and the SouthWest site.
Posted here and read replies.
Field stripped Glock and laid it out in the plastic case my S&W 1011PD came in.
Padlocked plastic case and put it into suitcase.
Put box of ammo (<50), and unloaded standard capacity (15 rnds) mags in ziplock in same suitcase.
Went to airport.
Clerk gave me card to fill in, I showed her the Glock by lifting lid of case (didn't remove Glock). She just glanced and told me to put it away again with the card taped to the box.
Packed everything back in suitcase.
Walked suitcase over to XRay machine and waited for it to go through.
Flew to Houston.
Got to baggage claim before suitcase.
Opened suitcase just far enough to peek inside and see gun case.

Return was just the same. No hassle at all.