PDA

View Full Version : Cheap AR Lowers to AVOID?

High and Right
01-26-2009, 3:37 PM
Hi all,

Im on orders and am looking to get some AR lowers. Found some at a local shop who will ship them to my hometown shop/FFL, but and it's a BIG BUT_T...they are really cheap...130$ ea..and the name is sort of funky...some brand I've never heard of...and I'm not at all sure that they'd be worth the trouble...(even now with the new PEZZZZ in orifice...)
What are some of the "stay away" AR lowers?

Thanks!

Frijolito1988
01-26-2009, 3:40 PM
Why not just name the lower and we will tell you ,

most, huge majority of lowers are made from the same manufacturer the companies just put their logos on it.

alpalwal
01-26-2009, 3:40 PM
I haven't heard of any particular brands to stay away from... Overall I think they're basically the same, just different logos and other small differences. Some are forged and some are cast, but I've never heard of someone breaking a lower....

shark92651
01-26-2009, 3:42 PM
What is the brand name? Perhaps it's not unheard of from others. The only lower I know that people warn to stay away from is Hesse/Vulcan.

bwiese
01-26-2009, 3:42 PM
You probably should stay away from Vulcan, Blatckthorne or Hesse lowers.

Noobs should prob not build their first OLL with a Bushmaster Carbon15 lower either (lowers are fine, but noobs should stick to tried & true for their 1st build.)

All other lowers should be fine.

It's funny that people keep worrying how good their lowers are, and then go put crap uppers on 'em.

Tweak338
01-26-2009, 3:43 PM
Friends don't let Friends buy Vulcan/Hesse..

Damn Bill, beat me to it!

JerryM
01-26-2009, 4:38 PM
I just LOLLED!!!

I went to the vulcan website, and it states:

Vulcan Armament Inc. [The Best-Built Firearms in the World]

I know I should do a search but, what's the story with them lowers?

BroncoBob
01-26-2009, 4:41 PM
I just LOLLED!!!

I went to the vulcan website, and it states:

Vulcan Armament Inc. [The Best-Built Firearms in the World]

I know I should do a search but, what's the story with them lowers?

Well you wouldn't expect them to say the "crappiest" built firearms...:rofl::rofl:

Flying Bones
01-26-2009, 7:04 PM
You probably should stay away from Vulcan, Blatckthorne or Hesse lowers.

Noobs should prob not build their first OLL with a Bushmaster Carbon15 lower either (lowers are fine, but noobs should stick to tried & true for their 1st build.)

All other lowers should be fine.

It's funny that people keep worrying how good their lowers are, and then go put crap uppers on 'em.

HIJACK! What are the crap uppers?

ArkinDomino
01-26-2009, 7:28 PM
HIJACK! What are the crap uppers?

...stag...

:hide:

devildog999
01-26-2009, 7:37 PM
...stag...

:hide:

I swear to god boy I will come down to the hole you should find fast and beat your a**!!! ;)

You better bring that couch too ;)

:36:

missiontrails
01-26-2009, 8:32 PM
How are the Smith Wesson M&P15 lowers? I just bought one today because I liked the black finish, and the apparent overall finish work of the metal.

Sky_DiveR
01-26-2009, 8:43 PM
I swear to god boy I will come down to the hole you should find fast and beat your a**!!! ;)

You better bring that couch too ;)

:36:

:rofl2: :rofl2::hurray:

Toolfreak66
01-26-2009, 8:46 PM
S&W are good. I love the one I shot.

JerryM
01-26-2009, 9:23 PM
Well you wouldn't expect them to say the "crappiest" built firearms...:rofl::rofl:

Very true. It is just amazing at what some companies/people will claim to sell their crap. :eek:

louscamaro91
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't know of anyone of the new Vulcans that had problems. As a matter of fact I had problem's with my bushmaster and stags. Never any problems with the new vulcan lowers. Took my vulcan lower to frontsight and put thousands of rounds down range no problems what so ever. I will say that Hesse is bar none the biggest POS lower you could get. Stay away from Hesse but give the new vulcan lowers a chance. They are made by a completely different company than when they were making hesse.

gunrun45
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Vulcan and Hesse are the same company. The owner changed the name to avoid publicity problems that he had as Hesse.

That being said...
I purchased 6 stripped Vulcan receivers. I have built 3 of them into various rifles. I have had ZERO problems with them. I have also had MANY friends buy them and only one had a problem. His did not have the hole drilled for the buffer retainer detent. That was a 3 second fix and I have seen this problem on several high end guns over the years.

As long as you don't get a sealed mag well version of the vulcan lower I would be willing to bet that you will be fine.

As a side note... Olde West in Redding has literally sold HUNDREDS of Vulcan AR stripped lowers (for around $100-$130) without any comming back.

818gtiguy
01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
What about the normal Calvary Arms lowers, not the composite ones??I have only seen a couple.

devildog999
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't know of anyone of the new Vulcans that had problems. As a matter of fact I had problem's with my bushmaster and stags. Never any problems with the new vulcan lowers. Took my vulcan lower to frontsight and put thousands of rounds down range no problems what so ever. I will say that Hesse is bar none the biggest POS lower you could get. Stay away from Hesse but give the new vulcan lowers a chance. They are made by a completely different company than when they were making hesse.

How much did those *****s pay you to praise their crappy Vulcans and talk smack about my Stag?!!! :mad:

You should find the hole ArkinDomino is hiding in and join him ;)

Sky_DiveR
01-27-2009, 12:54 AM
How much did those *****s pay you to praise their crappy Vulcans and talk smack about my Stag?!!! :mad:

:rofl2: :boxing_smiley::lurk5:

AndrewMendez
01-27-2009, 6:23 PM
whatever Happened to you get what you pay for??? If your going to spend that much for a gun, it better look, feel and shoot damn good! Check out Rock River Arms, or Spikes. Stags are very popular and a lot of people dont have any problems with them. But i swear that all the lowers are the same!

louscamaro91
01-27-2009, 7:59 PM
whatever Happened to you get what you pay for??? If your going to spend that much for a gun, it better look, feel and shoot damn good! Check out Rock River Arms, or Spikes. Stags are very popular and a lot of people dont have any problems with them. But i swear that all the lowers are the same!

Nailed it on the head all the lowers are the same unless they are billet

eaglemike
01-27-2009, 8:23 PM
Nailed it on the head all the lowers are the same unless they are billet or forged!
Do you know what you just said? :)

wash
01-27-2009, 8:38 PM
I bought a pinned (and glued) magazine Vulcan before the local FFL's started ordering OLL's.

Then I waited a while to buy an upper, then I waited a while to buy the lower parts. Then I finally put it together when I could have bought an OLL without the pin and glue in there.

After I un-pinned it and worked the glue out if it, it has a really nice fit with my Colt upper and everything else dropped right in.

I haven't put thousands of rounds through it yet but so far it looks and performs as well as can be expected.

I wouldn't buy one again because I know their reputation isn't the best but it was either a Vulcan or a Fab10 at the time and I chose the Vulcan (because it was cheaper).

ArkinDomino
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM

:D
stag = teh sux0rz

Tunis
01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Stag is manufactured by CMT! I've had zero problems with my Stag lower and upper. The only thing I hear people complain about is the deer logo! LOL!

devildog999
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
:D
stag = teh sux0rz

Yeah, you wouldn't say that if you weren't hiding in your hole!

fusionstar
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
i would say stag is run of the mill average stuff. Definately not sucky, but definately not a LMT.

PS: no LMT is not the best but they are in the top 3-4 ish. The best stuff are custom.

Now Vulcan, Blackthorne, Hesse. I have nothing to say.... but bad.. negative things so I will shut up.

hybridatsun350
01-27-2009, 10:25 PM

That is true in too many cases. As long as a lower is in spec you are good to go, but there is so much more to worry about when looking for a quality upper! :cool2:

Cardinal Sin
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Aren't some of the Lauer lowers made by LMT? I think they have some that are made by Superior.

pacrimguru
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
i have a few stag uppers and a lower and they have all been fantastic. i've seen vulcans up close and gotta say the workmanship is lacking.

wash
01-28-2009, 1:00 PM
That is true in too many cases. As long as a lower is in spec you are good to go, but there is so much more to worry about when looking for a quality upper! :cool2:
Only having one AR, I thought about it and took what I think is the easy way out. I bought a Colt upper. I haven't heard anything negative except for the oddball pin sizes, but this upper has the standard size holes.

It's a 20" A2 Hbar but the price was right and I wanted a featureless build with Iron sights any way.

It could have been luck or it could just be that both were machined to spec because my Vulcan lower mates up very nice with only a tiny bit of play.

I'm pretty sure that the Vulcans are not really made by Vulcan and are functionally just as good as any other in spec lower. Mine went together without a hitch even though I had never built an AR and did it by myself. My old Bushmaster catalog was the reference I used. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The only thing that I wish was different is the hole they drilled to pin in the magazine. Now that the pin is gone it doesn't effect the function and it's hidden by the mag release.

The end result is a rifle that I'm proud of. It shoots well, it's more accurate than me. I don't know if it has the latest whiz bang feed ramps but it feeds fine. Colt must sight in their uppers pretty well because the first shot was on paper at 100 yards, I think I just had to adjust the front sight post once to get it hitting dead center. It would put five rounds in to a little over 2" which surprised the hell out of me because I thought the rear sight aperture was way to big for me.

From what I have heard there were very few problems with the other Vulcans that were sold by Irvington Arms (they said they had sold dozens).

I'm not a Vulcan fan but if there is a workmanship problem with Vulcan AR lowers its not very common.

CSACANNONEER
01-28-2009, 1:12 PM
A lower is a lower. I'll never recommend that anyone buys a Vulcan but, I'm about to buy one just to say I have it. Maybe, I'll put it in a frame with the Vulcan/DOJ letter.