PDA

View Full Version : Home defense 870

calibre50
01-24-2009, 11:42 AM
My scattergun. It has ghost rings, surefire foreend, mesa tactical, jumbo safety, 2 shot extension, speedfeed stock.

Black Majik
01-24-2009, 11:44 AM
An 870 done right. Very nice! :thumbsup:

8200rpm
01-24-2009, 1:05 PM
What? No cheesy plastic AR15 collapible stock, forward vertical grip, and heatshield from the latest Cheaper-Than-Dirt catalog? There's even possible wear on the action bar!

:cheers2: Here's to you for bucking the tide of riced-out, never shot, closet queen, tacti-lame 870's.

Scooterg55
01-25-2009, 8:12 AM
My scattergun. It has ghost rings, surefire foreend, mesa tactical, jumbo safety, 2 shot extension, speedfeed stock.

Nice looking shotgun with class. Looks like mine that I have except for the shell holder and no sling.

Very good taste

DocSkinner
01-25-2009, 8:24 AM
Been debating and 870 for a long time,
but it gets confusing - express vs non-express, defense guns versus hunting versions, magnum receivers, etc.

Would like one that I can swap barrels and use for both, but it gets confusing on which models allow you to swap barrels, and which barrels, and which don't...

Can any of you experienced 870 people do a good clarifying post on this?

8200rpm
01-25-2009, 3:15 PM
Magnum: capability to fire 2-3/4" and 3" shotshells. All recently manufactured 870's (Express, Wingmaster, Police) feature at least a 3" (Magnum) receiver/chamber. Remington recently stopped engraving "MAGNUM" on their magnum receivers. If the serial number ends with "M", it's a magnum receiver. The Super Magnums can fire 3.5" shells. For defensive use, 2-3/4" shells are sufficient, so the regular magnums will do.

EXPRESS: standard grade 870 with matte blued finish; synthetic, satin hardwood, or laminate wood stock. In 4-shot Express models, the magazine tube features "dimples" to hold the plastic magazine spring retainer in place. If you want to install a magazine extension in place of the magazine cap, the dimples must be drilled, dremeled or swaged out in order to allow the follower to move freely beyond the magazine tube into the extension. Such modifications to the dimples will void the warranty.

Also, most Express models retain the magazine cap by mating the magazine cap with the plastic magazine spring retainer via internal ratchet (teeth). Addition of an aftermarket magazine extension REQUIRES a barrel clamp or gunsmith installation of a ball detent in the barrel guide for proper retention of the magazine extension. Without a ball detent or barrel clamp, your aftermarket mag extension may un-thread itself with recoil.

Express models with factory +2 or +3 extensions do not have the dimples. Unlike 4-shot Express models, the factory +2 and +3 Express models also feature a proper ball detent in the barrel guide which retains the magazine extension.

WINGMASTER: high grade 870 with polished blued finish; high gloss walnut stock. 4-shot magazine tube without dimples; uses a friction fit steel magazine spring retainer. Proper ball detent in the barrel guide to retain magazine cap or aftermarket magazine extentions. THIS INFO ON WINGMASTER MAG TUBES MAY BE OUTDATED. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE SITUATION IS ON CURRENTLY MANUFACTURED WINGMASTERS. IF ANYONE HAS PURCHASED A WINGMASTER IN THE LAST YEAR OR SO, PLEASE CHIME IN WITH INFO ON THE MAGAZINE TUBE.

POLICE: law enforcement grade with parkerized finish; synthetic or satin walnut stock. 4-shot magazine tube with no dimples. Factory +2 models available.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

vinny_land
01-25-2009, 6:36 PM
Been debating and 870 for a long time,
but it gets confusing - express vs non-express, defense guns versus hunting versions, magnum receivers, etc.

Would like one that I can swap barrels and use for both, but it gets confusing on which models allow you to swap barrels, and which barrels, and which don't...

Can any of you experienced 870 people do a good clarifying post on this?

Try to get the 870s that are C&R eligible so that in the future...if you want to make a SBS you can (under California law). These shotguns will most likely say Wingmaster on them.

the_donald_
01-26-2009, 9:22 AM
8200rpm - Damn good write up, I've been on the fence about buying an 870 & this information helps.

calibre50 - I'm jealous, nice scattergun.

:thumbsup: To both of you

GrinderCB
01-26-2009, 9:44 AM
Also considering an 870 in some format, I checked the Remington website. For home defense you might look up the Model 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round. Turner's has what appears to be the same shotgun on its ad this week for $349.98 but lists it as the 870 Home Security Shotgun.

8200rpm
01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Also considering an 870 in some format, I checked the Remington website. For home defense you might look up the Model 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round. Turner's has what appears to be the same shotgun on its ad this week for $349.98 but lists it as the 870 Home Security Shotgun.

This is definitely the way to go if you're looking to buy a new 870 and want more than 4 shots. There's no reason to buy a brand new 4-shot 870 Express, then void the warranty by removing the dimples.

Big5 and Turners have the +2 extension version on sale for $349.

calibre50
01-27-2009, 3:43 PM
Scooterg55, I saw yours right before I posted mine, back to back threads on similar setups, gotta love it. Thanks.

proudamerican831
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
deleted