PDA

View Full Version : Sig P250

626Tony
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
As far as the new sig P250 (awesome gun) will it ever be legal in cali how often do they update the roster of approved guns??

SIGman Freud
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
From my limited base of knowledge, I believe it depends on two things:
1)Whether the manufacturer wants to sell to California
2)Whenever DOJ gets around to reviewing and finally approving such a handgun.

slick_711
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM
As far as the new sig P250 (awesome gun) will it ever be legal in cali how often do they update the roster of approved guns??

They update the roster regularly.

As to the Sig 250 ... hard to say. My Sig rep has been swearing up and down for over a year now that it's been submitted and that it will probably be on the list soon. That seems to be FUD, so I have no idea.

DedEye
01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
From my limited base of knowledge, I believe it depends on two things:
1)Whether the manufacturer wants to sell to California
2)Whenever DOJ gets around to reviewing and finally approving such a handgun.

Does the Sig P250 have a magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator? Without both these things it will not get CA approved.

Do a search on the Sig P250 and you'll see this has been covered before. Also take a look at the thread in 2A Politics and Laws about "The Roster has been Nullified." NRFs shall be your salvation ;).

snaggletooth
01-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Save your money. While the 250 is good concept, the execution on SIG's part is POOR. To be perfectly honest I though I was holding a sigma. For 200 more, why get it, when you have the same polymer feel as a SIGma. The frame can be squeezed with my thumb and index. Save you money and go with a traditional sig. Just my opinion, but do what you wish, just trying to save you some cash and heartache.

626Tony
01-23-2009, 2:46 AM
thanks guys

Jonathan Doe
01-23-2009, 6:10 AM
LASD is testing the P250 now. I shot 500 rounds out of it the other day and liked it. Most likely, it will be adopted by the department. My speculation. If so, I think the Sig will sell it in CA.

BLC
01-23-2009, 8:32 AM
They have a couple at my local gun shop. I think they are PD only though, correct me if I am wrong.

CHS
01-23-2009, 8:41 AM
If so, I think the Sig will sell it in CA.

They're already in CA. Being sold to LEO only.

The 250 DOES NOT have a magazine disconnect or a loaded chamber indicator. It will never be on the roster.

Jonathan Doe
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Maybe I should buy it, shoot for a while and sell it PPT. So someone can have it.:D

CHS
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe I should buy it, shoot for a while and sell it PPT. So someone can have it.:D

I'm just waiting on the NeRF thing to come through so that I can get a P250. I love the modular idea behind the gun.

If you decide to buy one, I *WILL* buy it from you.

Kelvrick
01-23-2009, 1:42 PM
We also need to secure 10 round mags for it somehow. Even if you can get it second hand from a LEO, what are you going to put your bullets in?

CHS
01-23-2009, 1:47 PM
We also need to secure 10 round mags for it somehow. Even if you can get it second hand from a LEO, what are you going to put your bullets in?

That's easy. The LEO who sells it to me will disassemble the mags and give them to me as rebuild kits. I will put them back together in a lawful, permanent, 10rd blocked state.

The magazine part is the easiest part. I can at least order those real easy off the web and get them sent to a middleman who will disassemble them for me.

The gun is the hard part. Can't be NeRF'ed (yet), can't be bought directly, so it has to come from a LEO PPT only right now.

Casual Observer
01-23-2009, 2:16 PM
I fingered the various P250's they had at SHOT show. I was not impressed.

It had the usual SiG quality, but it was a jack of all trades, master of none.

fairfaxjim
01-23-2009, 3:25 PM
The P250 is a pretty radical departure from Sig's normal offerings. Those that are die hard Sig fans will either love it or hate it - it's not your father's Sig for sure. The one I handled - didn't get to shoot it - definitely had the plastic gun feel (it IS plastic where you can feel it!) and had none of the solid no nonsense Sig feel. It is still pretty new, and seems to have some kinks to work out, not to mention that a lot of the components are yet to even be released.

As said above, you won't see this one on the roster anytime soon - despite that Sig has said they intend to get it listed (if and when they get it compliant) - the multiple guns possible on a single serial number will be an obstacle. For thos of us not LEO's, the PPT route or the NERF route - should it come to prime time - will be our only way to get one for quite a while.

CHS
01-23-2009, 3:40 PM
- the multiple guns possible on a single serial number will be an obstacle.

The Sig P250 is only ONE gun per serial number.

Just because you can switch out the frame, slide, and barrel doesn't mean that you get multiple guns per serial number. The frame/slide/barrel are not functional together, they need the lockwork which has the serial number and is the firearm.

Jeff P
01-23-2009, 6:08 PM
It is a nice pistol and a straight shooter. If you get an extra frame modules, it allows an option for the small or large hand gun shooter. The time you spend changing the frame modual is next to nothing. I would only say, you may want to install a magazine release on each of the modules you have. I shoot it out to 15 yards pretty well, and I'm just an average shooter. With about 400 rounds down the pipe.
The P250 is very easy to take a part and clean and lube. I found a 1.4" spacer, attached into the magazine bottom let's you only install 10 rounds. Yes its doesn't weigh much with the polymer frame, but that makes it easy to carry, control and site on target.

fairfaxjim
01-23-2009, 8:27 PM
The Sig P250 is only ONE gun per serial number.

Just because you can switch out the frame, slide, and barrel doesn't mean that you get multiple guns per serial number. The frame/slide/barrel are not functional together, they need the lockwork which has the serial number and is the firearm.

Yes, but that same serial number will allow you to make multiple configurations, and rumor on the Sigforum when it was first rolled out was that Sig probably wouldn't test the P250 because it's unique nature would make testing and approval too expensive.

DedEye
01-23-2009, 8:30 PM
Yes, but that same serial number will allow you to make multiple configurations, and rumor on the Sigforum when it was first rolled out was that Sig probably wouldn't test the P250 because it's unique nature would make testing and approval too expensive.

Internet rumors are just that.

Better reason: no LCI and no magazine disconnect.

Without those why would Sig waste their money on testing?

fairfaxjim
01-23-2009, 8:39 PM
Internet rumors are just that.

Better reason: no LCI and no magazine disconnect.

Without those why would Sig waste their money on testing?

That's true, and they wouldn't. They won't even try to add them because it wouldn't help in CA anyway. As for the rumors, there was a Sig factory guy on the P250 section, and the Sig reps were saying that it would be submitted for testing at the begining. That line quickly and quietly died away. They definitely won't add either LCI or mag disconnect if they feel the gun is otherwise un-rosterable. Basically it could be made to have to go through all of the tests in all of the possible configurations, which would create a very expensive testing matix, to be listed.

DedEye
01-23-2009, 8:41 PM
That's true, but at that time there was a Sig factory guy on the P250 section. They definitely won't add either LCI or mag disconnect if they feel the gun is otherwise un-rosterable. Basically it could be made to have to go through all of the tests in all of the possible configurations, which would create a very expensive testing matix, to be listed.

Or Sig could have just done the same thing IMI did, and only drop tested one of their models.

fairfaxjim
01-23-2009, 9:17 PM
Or Sig could have just done the same thing IMI did, and only drop tested one of their models.

Which model(s) was IMI able to get listed by drop testing only one and certifying the rest? Was it eh Baby Eagel? If so, then the requirement of PC12131.5. (a) were waived or ignored, as they have different dimensions, including calibers.

But, to go back to your original observation, has Sig tested any new guns since the LCI or mag disconnect have been required?

DedEye
01-23-2009, 9:21 PM
Which model(s) was IMI able to get listed by drop testing only one and certifying the rest? Was it eh Baby Eagel? If so, then the requirement of PC12131.5. (a) were waived or ignored, as they have different dimensions, including calibers.

But, to go back to your original observation, has Sig tested any new guns since the LCI or mag disconnect have been required?

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I was referring to the fact that only one of the Desert Eagles (in .44) is on the roster, and that that is the only one you can buy new in state. After you buy it though, you can purchase caliber conversion kits and new barrels. The same should work just as well for the 250.

jimrod
01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
The CA DOJ is not proactive in reviewing, testing and adding handguns to the roster - that is, they don't seek to add handguns to the list on their own. The manufacturer, in this case SIG-Sauer, must submit a request the model be reviewed and submit samples for examination/ testing along with payment to the DOJ to get it on the roster. After the model is listed, there is an annual fee they must pay to stay listed. If they don't, it comes off.