View Full Version : Need plumber in Norcal

01-20-2009, 6:57 AM
I have a quick leaking faucet that's a single knob bathtub/shower.
I need an experienced plumber to help me out here, as I'm not keen on plumbing. Bring your tools and sealants and puddy or whatever.

After loads of research and trips to the hardware store, I have an old old price pfisher setup that's NOT REPAIRABLE. :rolleyes:
The valve deal is part of the cross-shaped casting, and the whole thing needs to be replaced. I can buy the parts before hand. I'm just not comfortable doing this job myself since I've never done any plumbing and don't know any tips and tricks.

Money is limited, but I have loads of ammo! :p

04-22-2009, 7:37 AM
Are there any plumbers out there? :gene:

The situation has only gotten worse. The leak is leaking more and my last bill was too high to ignore. The (40 year old plus) main valve to shut off water outside is busted too now, since I've used that a few times to shut the water off when I left the house...

If there aren't any calguns norcal plumbers, I'm going to have to call someone out of the yellow pages or something.

04-22-2009, 9:41 AM
Im a plumber but livermore is kinda a drive for me.

04-28-2009, 4:18 PM
Im available,Pm sent . Not certified,but real good at everything.

05-02-2009, 1:44 PM
im up in walnut creek still somewhat far :shifty:

05-22-2009, 12:43 PM
This weekend, I'll halfway teardown that thing again, and I'll take some photos...

05-26-2009, 9:31 PM
did you take the photos?

07-31-2009, 7:26 AM
I finally got a few photos up. As you can see, in this earlier model, the valve is part of the casting, and the valve itself can not be replaced. Even if I could find one, there's still the gaskets in the casting that are hard and degraded. The entire cross casting there needs to go. And I need a skilled plumber.




It's a tight squeeze, but I think if the right tools are on hand, a hole in the wall won't have to be cut in from the opposite side to replace this fixture.

08-02-2009, 6:40 PM
Just curious as to whats leaking exactly? the threaded connections or the valve cartridge? If you pull off the retaining ring holding in the cartridge it will pull straight out and you should be abel to replace it o-rings and all. We have a store here in modesto that would have a replacement for it and if they don't they'll get one for you its called Abes Plumbing. Pm me if you need the number.

08-02-2009, 6:44 PM
If you do decide to replace the whole valve you will have to cut the back wall open in order to solder on new couplings and unions to attach the new valve, luckily it's copper pipe! i've had to do this numerous times hopefully it's just sheetrock on the other side.

08-02-2009, 9:15 PM
Well that's what I planned to fix the first time I took this thing apart.

I pulled out that "cartridge" and it's worn out. I should have taken photos of that too. I can't find a replacement. And I can't get the O-ring out of that casting. It's hard and stuck in there.

08-08-2009, 6:33 AM
If you cant access the valve from the back side you can use a remodel plate, you will probally need to enlarge the opening to replace the valve these work good i have used them many times, just make sure to get one to match your new shower valve


08-16-2009, 9:36 PM
personally oppinion i would cut the sheetrock in the back, because that can be patched relativly easy and you wont have to enlarge any holes in your shower enclosure, which in theory should be sealed by the valve cover but still not a fan of bigger holes in my shower. id cut the sheetrock if possible and re-install a new valve and then patch the sheetrock