PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Green Handgun ammo options do I have?

MikePGS
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello all. I actually live in Michigan but do to my paranoia about lead (i know i know) i'd rather use "green" ammo. I'm interested in hunting deer at this time and (eventually) black bear. Thinking probably a .357 or .44 mag, most likeout out of some flavor of S&W. Any recommendations to loads and or revolvers? Also is a 4 inch barrel too short? If so what is the minimum I should use to humanely take either deer or (eventually) black bear. If a different revolver/ammo combo would be needed for each please specify. Thanks in advance.

Gunaria
01-18-2009, 5:12 PM
Most hunting hand guns that I ever see usually have a 6in barrel or longer. As for Pb free handgun ammo you are probably going to have to hand load it with Barnes X bullets. Oh and welcome to CalGuns.

IH8CALAWS
01-18-2009, 5:52 PM
You can hunt with a 4" if you practice with the gun you'll be hunting and the ammo you'll use while hunting, a 6'' is alot easier to hit you'r target at greater distances. If you chose to go with a 4'' barrel I'd deffinitely use 44mag, actually thats probably the smallest hand gun round I'd hunt with period. As far as the bullets Gunaria has the same answer that I was going to give.

frigginchi
01-18-2009, 6:57 PM
I don't think there is any ammo that shoots out hugs. But if you need lead free look for Corbon DPX.

MikePGS
01-18-2009, 7:16 PM
Is DPX of a sufficient weight to kill a deer or bear though? I know the copper bullets tend to be lighter than lead, and higher weights are almost always recommended.

frigginchi
01-18-2009, 8:10 PM
They weigh close to the same.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/dpx.htm

Is DPX of a sufficient weight to kill a deer or bear though? I know the copper bullets tend to be lighter than lead, and higher weights are almost always recommended.

MikePGS
01-18-2009, 8:46 PM
What i mean is that I thought people typically used 158 or 180 grain (in .357) for deer and or bear, whereas DPX is only available in 125.

frigginchi
01-18-2009, 9:09 PM
.357 will work fine for deer, but .44 mag is the absolute minimum for bear.

The DPX relies on weight retention and expansion.

scr83jp
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello all. I actually live in Michigan but do to my paranoia about lead (i know i know) i'd rather use "green" ammo. I'm interested in hunting deer at this time and (eventually) black bear. Thinking probably a .357 or .44 mag, most likeout out of some flavor of S&W. Any recommendations to loads and or revolvers? Also is a 4 inch barrel too short? If so what is the minimum I should use to humanely take either deer or (eventually) black bear. If a different revolver/ammo combo would be needed for each please specify. Thanks in advance.Check Magtech they have solid copper handgun bullets and ammo 380,38spec,357mag,40s&w,9mm,44mag,45acp,45gap,454casull,460mag & 500s&w. Do a google search for Magtech Solid Copper Bullets they are jacketed hollow points that open up with a petal configuration.I purchase a 100 round bag of 454 copper bullets & 45acp ammo from midwayusa.