PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help the lady pick out a gun

JJ1911
01-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Evening,

My girlfriend comes shooting with me sometimes and she really likes it. She is a small girl, 5'4 95ish lbs and her favorite gun to shoot is my 1911, because she says the frame fits her small hands and because the felt recoil is very managable, even in .45.

The only thing is she has some difficulty pulling back the slide. I jokingly tell her to simply grow stronger but I know thats not exactly realistic! She can pull back the slide on my Sig/HK USP just fine, but she does not like the trigger/grip on either of them.

Are there any other guns we could look into? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Vectrexer
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Time for some time at a range shooting their rentals pistols. She may find that she likes something totally different than every opinion that you get on this site.

Suggestions are good but nothing is better than actually shooting the pistol to confirm comfort and accuracy. Not to mention appearance as well.

JJ1911
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Thats very true, and I should have mentioned she has tried HK USPs, Glocks, Sigs. We have to spend 15 dollars per gun rental, so I sort of wanted to get some suggestions of guns to try, isntead of just taking a shot in the dark ( no pun intended).

11011500a
01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
have you looked at 22lr conversion for the 1911 or 1911 style 9mm?

Vectrexer
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
If you're near SSF drop by Jackson you're free to try out the Steyr and whatever else I bring that day. :)

leelaw
01-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Sig P225. Where are you located?

11011500a
01-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Steyr are hard to find, they do have a nice grip and over all are well balanced. My gf loves the steyrs.

Vectrexer
01-15-2009, 1:06 AM
Sig P225. Where are you located?

Have to admit I like my P6.

01-15-2009, 2:40 AM
You didn't mention what she wanted to use the pistol for. If she is going to use it for fun/practice, you might want to check out Ruger's 22/45s. They are fairly inexpensive (to buy & shoot) and mimic the 1911 grip.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Rimfire%20Autoloading&famlst=54

the_donald_
01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
JJ - I can only speak of experience so I'll share this. My GF & I knew we were going to spend a considerable amount of $ on researching our first guns. So we went ahead and spent the costs to become members at our local range.

It was expensive upfront, but it gave us access to free rentals, range time, and discounts on ammo & targets. Up 'til now, about 5 mos into the membership, we have more than broken even. Considering how many guns we've rented & how much time we've spent on the range, using multiple lanes at times, and bringing guests to the range (sharing a lane - free of cost to members).

In essence, we've got our $ back (and then some). It's research we would have done anyways & $ we would've spent anyhow. We've shot almost everything they have, and it's proven to be well worth it.---I'm a strong believer in practical assessment.

I decided on a Kimber Custom II, and my GF loves it. She's damn accurate & does have trouble racking the slide (so I make sure to keep it well-oiled & racking like butter when we go shoot). She was considering either a Kimber Pro or Ultra, but I think she's decided on a Sig P226 9MM. My second choice would have been a Sig P226 in 40 cal, but as soon as I shot a 1911....well, that's a story for another post.

EricC
01-15-2009, 2:37 PM
My fiance is about the same size as your gf and she has no problem racking the slide on my HK P2000. You can customize the back straps to fit her grip best and there are a couple different trigger configurations to choose from.

Ironchef
01-15-2009, 3:28 PM
Get an M&P 9mm. My friend just found one at a shop in Fairfield for $499.

If she has problems pulling the slide back, just have her catch the rear sight on her belt and push the gun down! That'll move the slide back, and it's safe toO! :)

My wife has trouble with slides too. It's more about grip on the slide and how they grab..if it's slingshot style, they need strong fingers. If whole hand on slide, then watch for the palm not to get caught in the action (if they ride it forward). I say do a sling shot and let your arms do the work..one pushing forward, one pulling back before letting go. It's easier to let go with the sling shot for beginners.

KylaGWolf
02-15-2009, 10:22 PM
My boyfriend has a Ruger 9mm and a Springfield XD 40. Unfortunately I am unable to pull the slide back on either of them. I have shot the Ruger one time. But I have to find something that is easier for me to use in a safety situation. So we are doing the renting a gun route to find one that is going to be a good fit for me. I shot a 22lr Ruger that wasn't bad at all. On Friday I tried a Glock 19 and not sure if I liked that one or not. Next trip to the range I am thinking of trying the Glock 17.

artherd
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Finding a gun you are comfortable with - is paramount. The Glock 17 should have an easier slide to pull than the 19.

Stick with 9mm autos, anything in .40 will generally have heavier springs.

Also, think about grip and practice too.

Finally, think about a revolver.

Tunis
02-16-2009, 4:38 AM
how old is your 1911? which 1911 do you have? my les baer 1911's slide was so tight when i first got it, even i couldn't pull it back easily! but after a few thousand rounds down the barrel, pulling the slide back is like butter! if she likes the grip of a 1911, but in a different platform, find one with a single stack magazine configuration or one with adjustable/interchangeable grips. good luck! :thumbsup:

brassburnz
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
My daughter liked my 1911 so much I set one up for her that is just about identical to mine. One trick she learned is to cock the hammer and then rack the slide. The added resistance of the mainspring is just enough so she can't rack the slide.

You can also try to re-spring your gun for shooting lighter target loads. Most 1911's are set up for shooting 230 grain hardball. The mainspring is 22 to 23 pounds and the recoil spring is 20-22 pounds. If you shoot 185 grain lead semi-wadcutters, you can change the mainspring to 18-19 pounds and the recoil spring to 16-18 pounds.

If you decide to go with a 1911 in 9mm luger, the mainspring at 19 pounds is about as low as you want to go and get reliable hits, but you can lower the weight of the recoil spring down to 13-15 pounds. I've heard some people go as low as 10 pounds, but I think they have a heavier mainspring.

My Marvel .22 conversions use a 9 pound spring, IIRC with a 19 pound mainspring. They are the most accurate guns I own and just about the cheapest to shoot. If your girlfriend really likes the 1911, get a Marvel Unit 1 conversion for your 1911. They are relatively expensive ($400) but are well worth it. In the long run it will pay for itself, much like your membership to the range.

50 rounds of .22 ammo= $3.00
50 rounds of .45 acp = $18.00

After 500 rounds, or 10 boxes, you saved $150.

www.marvelprecision.com

Evening,

My girlfriend comes shooting with me sometimes and she really likes it. She is a small girl, 5'4 95ish lbs and her favorite gun to shoot is my 1911, because she says the frame fits her small hands and because the felt recoil is very managable, even in .45.

The only thing is she has some difficulty pulling back the slide. I jokingly tell her to simply grow stronger but I know thats not exactly realistic! She can pull back the slide on my Sig/HK USP just fine, but she does not like the trigger/grip on either of them.

Are there any other guns we could look into? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

wolf13
02-17-2009, 8:09 AM
My girl friend recently bought a gun, and picked a sig 239 in 9mm. She is about the same size as your girlfriend, and said it fit her hand perfectly, and the recoil was very manageable for her. We tried the smaller hk, and a beretta, but nothing felt as good to her as the sig.

sigfan
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I second that one... my wife has a Sig p239 9mm that she loves due to the single stack. She has fired other double stack pistols but they are a little too thick for her hands. She's 5' 100 lbs.

dexter9659
03-04-2009, 8:05 PM
Perhaps a 9mm 1911 is in order is she likes the feel the slimmer 1911 grip. A browning Hi-Power also could make for a nice fit.

nick
03-04-2009, 8:14 PM
Evening,

She might not be pulling it right. Try different ways f racking the slide with her.My girlfriend, who's quite strong, had an issue racking the slide of a Glock. She was doing it wrong.

notnowjohn
03-04-2009, 8:38 PM
Thats very true, and I should have mentioned she has tried HK USPs, Glocks, Sigs. We have to spend 15 dollars per gun rental, so I sort of wanted to get some suggestions of guns to try, isntead of just taking a shot in the dark ( no pun intended).

Since you appear to be in the Bay Area, consider making the trip to Bullseye in San Rafael. They offer more than just Glocks and Sigs to rent and *I believe* they charge you a daily rental fee instead of a per-gun rental fee. This means that for an extra $20 (or so), you can try ever gun they rent. Bring one out, shoot a few magazines worth of ammunition, bring it back, get another one, repeat.

http://www.bullseyerange.com/range/range_guns.html

You should call to confirm, though.

stormy_clothing
03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
d/p

Gnome
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Sig P220.

stormy_clothing
03-20-2009, 3:32 PM
my mom is like the ultimate feminist so when my dad bought her a p22 I thought shed be semi offended, she liked shooting it though.

However when I gave her a g23 she loved it and when I swapped my g21 for a g21sf she asked to borrow it several times.

I by reloads at the range for 13 bux for 50 or bulk wolf and it suits the type of shooting I do 25 yards with good accuracy with my eyes out to 100 yards.

Anyway there is no reason except physical limitations to get a girl any less of a gun than you would shoot yourself. Plus I think buying a 22 because it's cheap is like buying a mustang with a 4 cylinder automatic - yeah it gets the job done like masturbation but with no pizzaz - might as well just be an airsoft gun.

Midian
03-20-2009, 3:53 PM
Try a CZ 75. Betcha that'll fit her real nice.

Bongos
03-21-2009, 8:01 AM
Show her the shoulder technique in pulling back the slide on the 1911, anyone can do it, you just have to know how

glockwise2000
03-22-2009, 9:45 AM
KAHR

B Strong
03-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Evening,

Try a Glock 36 - single stack slim frame, .45, the slide isn't as tough to operate as a 1911 type.

deb7566
06-27-2009, 8:10 PM
My first gun was a 38 revolver. But, the gun I fell in love with is the Beretta 92F. It is very balanced and smooth.

Jonathan Doe
06-27-2009, 8:57 PM
I gave my wife a S&W model 66 2 1/2" barrel. She likes it. If the lady is not very familiar with the firearm, I would recommend a revolver.

sirgiles
06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
ladyhawk made by nighthawk customs.