PDA

View Full Version : BCT + AIT = Residency?

TonyKat
01-13-2009, 8:48 PM
So as many of you know I'm going to Basic training soon. I'm doing OSUT which is one station unit training, meaning BCT+AIT in the same place one right after another. My question is does this count as proof of residency to buy a Springfield XDm which is not CA approved.

I know that a PCS would be but as I'm reserve and stationed here. This question only applies to BCT+AIT.

Maddog5150
01-13-2009, 8:57 PM
You probably dont want to even worry about personal weapons at that point. I believe in a TRADOC environment, you cant purchase firearms but I may be wrong. Wait till your flight home. I stopped in a gun shop in Georgia on my way to the airport and told them I was just looking and that I was from California. I had to fight my way out of there because everyone was trying to sell me an EBR :D

USN CHIEF
01-13-2009, 9:10 PM
Tonycat, off course we know you are going to bootcamp, you have only posted about it like 50 times. LOL. Like Maddog said, don't even worry about guns when you are in training. You probably are not even going to have free time to think about your guns that you have at home. Just go to your training and quit thinking about getting a gun while at training.

TonyKat
01-13-2009, 9:14 PM
Well I don't want to just forget about it if this is an opportunity to get some stuff I would otherwise have to do without. I'm never leaving this god forsaken state so I can use every chance I can get.

CavTrooper
01-13-2009, 9:30 PM
Well I don't want to just forget about it if this is an opportunity to get some stuff I would otherwise have to do without. I'm never leaving this god forsaken state so I can use every chance I can get.

This is an opportunity for nothing but training. You wont have residency, you wont have time. Residency is established when you are stationed somewhere, on PCS orders.

You have the chance to leave this state any time you wish, you just have to sack up and make it happen. Like instead of being a weekend warrior, you couldve gone active duty!

;)

kermit315
01-13-2009, 9:30 PM
I dont think it will work, because you are their strictly for training, not PCS. I know in the Navy, if you are to be in training for more than 6 months, they PCS you and cut you orders again when you get a duty station. If that was the case, you would be fine. But I dont think your orders will work if they are only TDY orders.

Just wait till you are back and worry about it then. by that time, the whole NRF thing should be sorted out.