PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting in Los Padres

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 7:30 AM
I am going pig hunting for the first time in Los Padres this weekend. Can anyone give me any hints on where to go and what type of ammo I have to use. Do I need a forest pass there. have you ever gotten or seen a pig there.

Thanks for your help.

CSACANNONEER
01-13-2009, 7:40 AM
Lead free ammo! If you are parking a vehicle in the forrest, you will need an Adventure Pass.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 7:41 AM
By the way where I am going is near Black Mountain.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 7:42 AM
Do you know I can use my adventure pass from L.A. County or if I will need a different one.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 7:43 AM
Do you know anywhere to get lead free ammo for an 8mm Mauser on the shelf rather than by special order.

CSACANNONEER
01-13-2009, 7:46 AM
By the way where I am going is near Black Mountain.

I used to live about ten miles from there. I've taken many black tails from the Turkey Flats area but, I didn't know that hogs have moved into the area. Please PM me about your trip, I'd like to go back up that way sometime. So, if you're looking for a hunting partner, I'd be interested. Yes, your Adventure pass should be good in the whole state. Good Luck!

CSACANNONEER
01-13-2009, 7:48 AM
Do you know anywhere to get lead free ammo for an 8mm Mauser on the shelf rather than by special order.

I have no clue. Try Big5 and Wal-Mart? I've got some .30cal and .510 cal Barnes bullets that I need to load up but, I don't have any .323s right now.

Fjold
01-13-2009, 8:17 AM
Pigs need water and food. They have to go to water at least twice a day so you need to find water in the area and check around there to find out where they're going for food and shelter. Since it's cooler out now they don't need the dense shade but they still like to lay up in protected areas.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I will try anything to bag a pig. How far is water from Black Mountain. I tried Big5 and Walmart for non lead and no luck I see them for special order for about $90 a box but I can't wait to get it because I need it for this weekend.

Gunaria
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
If you need some lead free ammo in a pinch and you have a rifle bored shotgun you can pick up Winchester XP3 sabot slugs at Bass Pro Shop. The only other Pb free ammo that I have is in .308, I haven't seen any in 8mm mauser.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I unfortunately only have a smooth bored shotgun at this time. Would it hurt to fire a rifled slug through it. It has a poly choke on it as well so I dont even know if I could fire a slug throug it I have never tried out of that one. Any suggestions!

skateboarder74
01-13-2009, 1:44 PM
Just get a Mossin and I will give you a box LT. AP.

skateboarder74
01-13-2009, 1:49 PM
If you need some lead free ammo in a pinch and you have a rifle bored shotgun you can pick up Winchester XP3 sabot slugs at Bass Pro Shop. The only other Pb free ammo that I have is in .308, I haven't seen any in 8mm mauser.

What if you don't have a rifle boar. Will it ruin your gun?
I have a 870 "The work horse of shoot guns".

jkcerda
01-13-2009, 3:21 PM
for what i have understood from other hunters, you wont be ticketed for now as the ammo is not available in all calibers & even in some you cant find it, call the local DFG office to confirs & let them know you cant find the ammo in your caliber, hope my answer is correct .

good luck BTW.

Vigilante
01-13-2009, 5:16 PM
I've taken many black tails from the Turkey Flats area but, I didn't know that hogs have moved into the area.
A buddy of mine lived off of Park Hill Rd. until about 6 months ago, and he had seen a few hogs on his property within the last year that he lived there. So, they are out in the Pozo area, but they are hard to find. He only saw them at night of course. Another friend's uncle has 1000 acres in the same area and has seen pigs out there very rarely, but like I said, they are out there. I don't want to sound like a downer, but I'd say that your chances are pretty slim at Black Mountain.

Yes, your Adventure pass should be good in the whole state. Good Luck!
Mine states specifically which National Forests it is good at: Los Padres, Angeles, San Bernardino, and Cleveland. These might be the only forests that require an adventure pass though, which would then make the pass good throughout the state like you said.

How far is water from Black Mountain.
I don't remember seeing much water in the area. There are some seasonal creeks in the vicinity, but I don't know that they will have any water in them at this time of year.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-14-2009, 9:50 AM
I hope to get one this weekend and if anyone knows of anyone who can load me some 8MM Mauser non lead ammo please let me know I will give you all the brass and pay whatever I have to. I talked to the DFG of A and they sday that the ammo is available just very expensive and very hard to find and if I am caught with lead ammo I will have my rifle confiscated and go to court and........

Gunaria
01-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I unfortunately only have a smooth bored shotgun at this time. Would it hurt to fire a rifled slug through it. It has a poly choke on it as well so I dont even know if I could fire a slug throug it I have never tried out of that one. Any suggestions!

I'm reading the box right now and it says; For use in fully rifled barrels only.

So you can try to find a rifled barrel for your shotgun or postpone the trip until you have the correct rifle/ammo combo to hunt in the lead free zone.

Or if you can find a rifle in .308 win I can sell you some Pb free ammo for it.

The last alternative I can think of is go buy a muzzle loader and find some Pb free ammo for that.

Hope that helps.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
If it comes down to it I can just hunt with my Bow. I just wanted some range since I don't expect to see any to close to us. I appreciate the offer to hep me out with the .308 ammo though. I just only have money for what I have right now. I don't have any more funds to buy more toys.

cal3gunner
01-17-2009, 10:33 PM
did you make it out hunting and if so did you see any pigs?

I have spent lots of time in the Los Padres forest about an hour north of Santa Barbara. I've seen bears, deer, tule elk, bobcats, foxes, turkeys but never any pigs. The only ranchers I've talked to that have them on their property, only have them come in and cause trouble in the middle of the night.

I would love to bag a pig in So Cal. I just don't want to spend $500 to go on someone's ranch and shoot something they don't want there anyways.

As far as the nature adventure pass. I used to buy those but never had a ranger actually want to see it. Whenever they would pull up and we were stopped they would ask if I had one and I would say yes and that was good enough. The forest service then actually took the dirt road that we use off the list of needing the pass so I havn't bought one in years. So you can call and ask if the area you are going to requires it.

frigginchi
01-18-2009, 7:01 PM
You can use copper sabot slugs in your NON rifled shotgun. It will be good out to about 50 yards after that accuracy falls off. That is why they recommend a rifled barrel.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 7:44 AM
Unfortunately they don't make a rifled barrel for my shotgun. It is just too old. We got 2 coyotes on sat morn and nothing in the afternoon. Than on Sunday Morn we got a total of 3 pigs 1 with a bow that was mine and the other 2 with a rifle. After tagging those we saw 8 more but we figured we had enough already so we did not pursue them. Then on our way home we stopped around Gorman and called in and shot one more coyote at 285 yards. All in all it was a great weekend. It was freezing at night but still so much fun. Also sorry but we did not get very many pics for you guys we all thought someone else took the cameras we got a few pics but none of me and my pig. I hope when the skulls are done de-fleshing we get some pics of those to show you the gnarly tusks they had.

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 8:07 AM
A buddy of mine lived off of Park Hill Rd. until about 6 months ago, and he had seen a few hogs on his property within the last year that he lived there. So, they are out in the Pozo area, but they are hard to find. He only saw them at night of course. Another friend's uncle has 1000 acres in the same area and has seen pigs out there very rarely, but like I said, they are out there. I don't want to sound like a downer, but I'd say that your chances are pretty slim at Black Mountain.

Cool, I used to live on Parkhill between the curch and the USFS station. It was a while back but, I never saw or heard of pigs in the area. I guess they've moved in since I've been gone.

PCH,
If you go back that way and want another hunter in your party, let me know far enough in advance that I can get some non-lead ammo together, a new hunting license and pig tags.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds cool to me. The more eyes we get out there the better. It was really thick brush.

cal3gunner
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I would be up for pig and coyote hunting up there to. We should get a trip together.

CSACANNONEER. the one thing that walmart does have is a lot of lead free ammo. its about $45 for a box of 308 but you aren't going to do much better on the internet. They also had other calibers like 30-06 and 270.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
If you see any 8mm Mauser let me know. that is all I have to hunt with other than my bow and my .22LR's. I have a 30-06 as well but dont like the ammo they carry for it.

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
cal3gunner,

I prefer to roll my own. It's not a big deal as long as I've got the right bullets.

PCH,

If you're willing to shoot my handloads, we could get a couple of boxes of Barnes bullets and load some up. If you've got boxer primed brass, they should cost less than $1 a round to load.

cal3gunner
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you guys want to do a trip in Feb? That will give us time to get the lead free ammo sorted out.

skateboarder74
01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I just received my order from Dakota Ammo/COR-BON/Glaser. Not only did they charge me $44.00 for the box of 7.62x39 the got me with some great hidden fees. $3.00 adult signature required fee, $9.00 dollar handle fee and not to mention shipping. So that’s about $3 around. I feel ripped off.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I will see what I can do I have a few guided hunts scheduled in that month. I would get the barns triple x if you loaded them that would be cool. I have wolf brass that is reloadable. I would really appreciate the help and in return can hook you up with a coyote hunt in the future if you like.

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Feb is possible but, it depends on when my boss scheduals our company trip to Utah. We're talking about a fri-sun thing right? I'll order some .323 Barnes Triple X today. I'm thinking, 50 for you and 50 for me. How's that sound?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Skateboarer74 I feel your pain on that. I hate hidden fees.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Fri night through Sunday is cool with me I just have to find time that month.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
You should order when I have a little more money to pay you back. Right now is a little tight for me. I can bring my own to you if you like that idea better.That way you can show me how it is done.

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 1:11 PM
You should order when I have a little more money to pay you back. Right now is a little tight for me. I can bring my own to you if you like that idea better.That way you can show me how it is done.

I'll order a box or 50 bullets for you now and I'll load 20 of them up when I can. When we go on the trip, I'll bring my little Lee hand press and a few other things so we can load more at camp or in the truck if need be. I'll just want $ for the box-o-bullets and some replacement brass. OK?

skateboarder74
01-19-2009, 1:31 PM
I was palning on going to FHL in Feb. DO you think I would have better luck in Black Moutain?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 2:59 PM
FHL is normally a lot better chances of seeing them. We just got really lucky. I will probably see you there if you go in Feb depending on what weekend you go.

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 3:19 PM
Well I just placed a + $300 midway order. I'm sure glad I didn't really need much. The 8mm Barnes are about $40/50! I called Barnes and they wanted about $45/box. Anyway, I'll have lead free ammo in .308, .30-06, .38/.357 and 8mm within the next couple of weeks. Midway didn't have any .45acp bullets in stock. I've never had to get pig tags before. When I was younger, we didn't need them. So, can I just pick them up somewhere or, do I have to send something into DFG?

skateboarder74
01-19-2009, 3:46 PM
13-15

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 4:20 PM
Well I just placed a + $300 midway order. I'm sure glad I didn't really need much. The 8mm Barnes are about $40/50! I called Barnes and they wanted about $45/box. Anyway, I'll have lead free ammo in .308, .30-06, .38/.357 and 8mm within the next couple of weeks. Midway didn't have any .45acp bullets in stock. I've never had to get pig tags before. When I was younger, we didn't need them. So, can I just pick them up somewhere or, do I have to send something into DFG?

You can pick the pig tags up at any Walmart Kmart Big5 or whereever you dont have to special order them.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-19-2009, 4:21 PM
13-15

Sounds good to me. What area are you going to be in. I will be in 2 or 6 if it is open.

strangerdude
01-19-2009, 4:22 PM
let see some pics procoyotehunter

Rob454
01-19-2009, 4:22 PM
Bring a shotgun and some bird shot. youll have better luck picking off quail or chuckar. I go hunting in those areas all the time. While Ive seen some pigs they are RARE. The whole place got shot out a while back and they jsut havent come back. There are some on the ranches there but good luck getting those people to let you hunt on their land. The BS with being polite and asking to hunt on land its just that. BS. I have some areas where I go hunting and I know the people but for the most part its BLM or state land and thats abotu it
bring a shotgun. Youll have more fun trying to get quail IMO or go for coyotes i get a few everytime

skateboarder74
01-19-2009, 4:32 PM
Not sure never been before.

cal3gunner
01-19-2009, 5:00 PM
Pro coyote hunter, do you have a website for your hunting service? You can PM it if you don't want to post it.

CSACANNONEER, how much will it cost to load up 308 with the barnes bullets?I'm in ventura county and in the process of buying a reloader but probably won't have it up and running for rifle by Feb.

Do you guys want to do a day trip or an overnight trip?

CSACANNONEER
01-19-2009, 7:57 PM
Pro coyote hunter, do you have a website for your hunting service? You can PM it if you don't want to post it.

CSACANNONEER, how much will it cost to load up 308 with the barnes bullets?I'm in ventura county and in the process of buying a reloader but probably won't have it up and running for rifle by Feb.

Do you guys want to do a day trip or an overnight trip?

Barnes .308 bullets vary in price from $25ish/50 of frangible (not recommended for pig) to about $40/50 depending on type & weight. Powder and primer would be less than $.15/round. If you want to load up a couple boxes, you can come by and use my stuff. Just remember it's BYOB&B. Bring your own bullets and brass.

Salty
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
This non-lead ammo situation sucks. Non-lead 30-30 is $40 for 20 rounds, vs $13 for 20 rounds of lead soft points. The soft points can be found anywhere, where as the non-lead is always on back order. I hope more manufacturers start making non-lead ammo and the price goes down by way of competition. At $2 a round, I might as well just buy a reloading setup and take a class or two. And to think, the newspaper told me that it was only going to cost 4 cents more a round to save the condors. :mad:

CSACANNONEER
01-20-2009, 5:18 AM
This non-lead ammo situation sucks. ............ And to think, the newspaper told me that it was only going to cost 4 cents more a round to save the condors. :mad:

Hell, I thought non-lead ammo allowed me to hunt condors.

Reloading Barnes bullets in a 30-30 should cost just under $1/round right now.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
let see some pics procoyotehunter

As requested.Here is a pic of the pig that was shot with a BAR 7MM Mag. I will try to get some of the 2 shot with bows later today.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Mikespig.jpg

Also here is a pic of some local coyotes shot by me.It was not on the same hunting trip though. I have the skulls and skins from the three shot over the weekend but that is all I have left and we did not take any pics.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Mycoyotes8.jpg

I have a website it just needs to be updated with some more recent pics and dates of hunting and coyote sightings and weather conditions and moon phases I hunted on. I will post it as soon as I update it.
Edit/Delete Message

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
What do you guys think of the pics.

scombs263
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Awesome pictures. Whats your website with prices, I am sure I would love to get out and shoot a pig, coyote or bear.

skateboarder74
01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
What do moon phases have to do with hunting yotes

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2009, 1:42 PM
When I update the site I promise I will post it. As for right now I am not guiding because it was too expensive to renew the guide permit.

As for moon phase it has a lot to do with my success. I notice that I will see alot more in the morning on a new moon and on the full moon I will see them in the afternoons and night a lot more.

skateboarder74
01-21-2009, 3:29 PM
Sounds good to me. What area are you going to be in. I will be in 2 or 6 if it is open. May be if the hog-in is bad you could maybe help me get my first yote

glockman19
01-21-2009, 3:35 PM
OK

If we can get 8 guys together for a mid week 2 day hunt we can go to Tajhon Ranch and do a unguided 2 day hunt for $550 per person + insurance.

Anyone interested?

skateboarder74
01-21-2009, 3:38 PM
$550!!! Are the pig at Tajhon made of gold?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2009, 3:56 PM
Tejon Ranch went up again I see. I paid $350 for that hunt 2 years ago and got skunked. Not that I did not see any sign or try to track them there were just to many people around and they scared all my pig opportunities away.I would be interested but no funds right now.

Skateboarder74. Whenever you are ready to go let me know.

WHTXJ89
01-21-2009, 4:32 PM
i go to Tejon every year an do well these were from last years hunt i try to make it up there at least once a year

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x46/armen29/DSCN3042.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x46/armen29/DSCN3048.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x46/armen29/DSCN3052.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2009, 4:38 PM
Very nice pigs great job. Everyone who has gotten one please ost pics if you have any I would love to see them.

WHTXJ89
01-21-2009, 4:42 PM
next thing i want to do is try getting one with 75gr .223

Addax
01-21-2009, 5:03 PM
Very Nice Pigs!

Vigilante
01-21-2009, 8:14 PM
on Sunday Morn we got a total of three pigs 2 with bows and the third with a rifle. After tagging thos we saw 8 more but we figured we had enough already

This was not at Black Mountain was it? If so, are we talking about the same Black Mountain?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-22-2009, 7:43 AM
This was not at Black Mountain was it? If so, are we talking about the same Black Mountain?

It is black mountain up in the Los Padres forest if that is the one you are thinking of.

Vigilante
01-22-2009, 4:56 PM
It is black mountain up in the Los Padres forest if that is the one you are thinking of.

Sorry, I'm just surprised. I've seen deer up there, but I wouldn't think that you would be so successful with the hogs. You guys did real well, congrats.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-23-2009, 7:22 AM
Thanks on the congrats Vigilante. I am glad to see the pigs are moving a little more south from liggett and more north from Tejon. We see pigs all the time on private property all the time around where we hunt we just got lucky to see them on public property and definitely took advantage of the opportunity.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2009, 7:08 AM
NO more pics anyone?

WHTXJ89
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Heres a couple more

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x46/armen29/IMG_1550.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x46/armen29/IMG_1554.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Awesome pics. I hope to get another one soon. Let me know when you go out again I can see if I have the time and money to go with you.

WHTXJ89
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
for sure.
where are you pics

skateboarder74
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
It looks so delicious!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2009, 1:36 PM
for sure.
where are you pics

Mine is at the beginning of the thread. It is right above the coyote pic. i will see if I cant blow it up.

Here are some more pics.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Mybuddyspig.jpg
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Mybuddyspig2.jpg
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Mybuddyspig3.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
01-26-2009, 1:36 PM
It looks so delicious!

It is the best pork you will ever eat.

devildog999
01-26-2009, 3:22 PM
Never gone hunting for hogs but my buddy wants to plan something for later this year. Is .223 a good caliber to hunt hog with?

bigboarstopper
01-26-2009, 3:41 PM
Id suggest 270 or bigger. pistol calliber no smaller than a 41mag

cal3gunner
01-26-2009, 4:11 PM
I didn't get any pics but for what its worth. I took out two squirrels today while sighting in my rifle. One at 50 yards and one on the 200 yard berm. The 50 yard shot was standing useing the target stand as a side rest. (it was while checking groups at 100 yards)

The second shot was from the bench. It was great, the squirrel came out and stopped right where I could see him. I put one round into him. He was bouncing all over the place so I threw another round into him which tossed him into the air. The shots were only a couple seconds apart, not bad for a 4x power scope at 200 yards if you ask me. Both shots hit in the upper body because from the neck to mid waist was completely destroyed and the left arm was hanging on by a couple of threads.

So the rifle is sighted in. Now lets go get some pigs!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 8:15 AM
Never gone hunting for hogs but my buddy wants to plan something for later this year. Is .223 a good caliber to hunt hog with?

I am with big boar stopper on this. If you place the shot right on a smaller pig you should be okay but don't go for the big trophy pigs with it unless you have a sidearm on you at the ready when you go to retrieve it.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 8:16 AM
I didn't get any pics but for what its worth. I took out two squirrels today while sighting in my rifle. One at 50 yards and one on the 200 yard berm. The 50 yard shot was standing useing the target stand as a side rest. (it was while checking groups at 100 yards)

The second shot was from the bench. It was great, the squirrel came out and stopped right where I could see him. I put one round into him. He was bouncing all over the place so I threw another round into him which tossed him into the air. The shots were only a couple seconds apart, not bad for a 4x power scope at 200 yards if you ask me. Both shots hit in the upper body because from the neck to mid waist was completely destroyed and the left arm was hanging on by a couple of threads.

So the rifle is sighted in. Now lets go get some pigs!
Awesome! what kind of squirrels ground or tree. I hope the ground I hate those rabies infested rats.

tankerman
01-27-2009, 8:22 AM
Just get a Mossin and I will give you a box LT. AP.That's illegal read the regulations -

353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 8:33 AM
That's illegal read the regulations -

What is illegal. Shooting ground squirrels or the caliber for pigs. either is legal since the squirrels are not big game they fall under completely different regs than what you posted since they are non gmme and pigs method of take is any legal humane method.

tankerman
01-27-2009, 8:42 AM
What is illegal. Shooting ground squirrels or the caliber for pigs. either is legal since the squirrels are not big game they fall under completely different regs than what you posted since they are non gmme and pigs method of take is any legal humane method.Big Game - Hogs do fall under the standard Big Game Regs and no it has nothing to do with caliber, AP does not expand.

350. Big Game Defined.

"Big game" means the following: deer (genus Odocoileus), elk (genus Cervus), pronghorn antelope (genus Antilocarpa), wild pig (feral pigs, European wild pigs and their hybrids (genus Sus), black bear (genus Ursus) and Nelson bighorn sheep (subspecies Ovis canadensis nelsoni) in the areas described in subsection 4902(b) of the Fish and Game Code.

Here is the special section for Hogs

368. Wild Pig.

Wild pigs may be taken only as follows:

(a) General Season: Open all year.

(b) Bag and Possession Limit: There is no daily bag or possession limit for wild pigs.

There is no "taken be any method rule". Biggest difference is you can use a crossbow.

Cal mammal regs (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#368)

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 8:46 AM
The person above did not state what ammo he or she is using. Only if the cartridge has the power to knock one down. I have a .223 with Winchester expandable silvertips I us all the time for deer and small pigs and coyote. It is not illegal in any way to hunt with a .223 unles you have a high cap mag or the wrong ammo. I do however see your point. But I am not telling him or her to do anything illegal only giving a suggestion that the caliber would be sufficient to bring a small pig down. The ammo is up to the user not me. In some counties in California on private property you may use a rimfire cartridge to take a pig but that is not stated in the regs either.

tankerman
01-27-2009, 8:53 AM
Yes, the post I quoted says AP, Armor Piercing - it does not expand. he dude told the guy to use a Moisin and he would give him a box of AP.

Personally I would not shoot a hog with rimfire based solely on what a guy on the internet says.

I not about to tell a game warden that something is legal, but not stated in the regs. Counties do not set mammal hunting regs.
The person above did not state what ammo he or she is using. Only if the cartridge has the power to knock one down. I have a .223 with expandable tips I us all the time for deer. It is not illegal in any way. I do however see you point. But I am not telling him or her to do anything illegal only giving a suggestion that the caliber would be sufficient to bring a small pig down. The ammo is up to the user not me. In some counties in California on private property you may use a rimfire cartridge to take a pig but that is not stated in the regs either.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 9:07 AM
I must have missed that post on the AP ammo. It is illegal then to hunt with those rounds you are completely correct.On private property there is sometimes a different method of take policy but you have to get special permits also but it is not worth it. Especially for depredation laws. I would not shoot a pig with a rimfire either it is not sufficient enough power and would only make that animal mad. If you ever become a guide you will learn these different private property laws. They do not apply in almost 95% of the counties though in California I only know of 2.

hnoppenberger
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
8mm mauser lead free cartriges do not exist.

i hunt with a m48 sniper, and ive loaded with barnes triple shock x.

i believe barnes is the only lead free bullet for 8mm, and then you need to hand load it. worth it, IMO. hunting with a military mauser sniper is a badass experience.

skateboarder74
01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
That's illegal read the regulations -

You are 100% right soft point or holllow tip only!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 1:32 PM
8mm mauser lead free cartriges do not exist.

i hunt with a m48 sniper, and ive loaded with barnes triple shock x.

i believe barnes is the only lead free bullet for 8mm, and then you need to hand load it. worth it, IMO. hunting with a military mauser sniper is a badass experience.

It sounds like a lot of fun. I have found 1 manufacturer who makes the 8mm ammo in leasd free but it is $96 a box I will post the website in a little while.

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2009, 3:31 PM
I got my midway order! I'm ready to load some 8mm Barnes up and paper them at Angeles! I hope to do it either this weekend or the next.

a.tinkerer
01-27-2009, 3:48 PM
I'm just poking in here to note something about 8x57 and 8x60 rifles - it's important to know for double damn sure what size bullets you need.
There are .318 and .323 bullets, no lead-free bullets for the rifles that need .318, and stuffing .323 bullets down the tube of a rifle that needs .318 bullets (especially copper solids like the Barnes X line of bullets) can cause dangerously excessive pressures.

Many folks believe that only pre-smokeless powder rifles were produced with the smaller bore, this is not the case. I've handled, owned, loaded for, shot etc Mausers and high grade double rifles (even in the 8x60 magnum) that were built well into the 1930's - specifically for jacketed bullets, full nitro magnum loads, AND the smaller diameter .318 bullet.

Slug your bore AND slug the throat of your chamber.
Know for double damn sure what kind of clearances your rifle has before you stuff copper solids like the Barnes X (or others like GS Custom or North Fork) down your barrel.

Even if you already knew this and know that the .323 is the right thing for your rifle, this hadn't been noted earlier in the thread and someone might find this discussion, own a nice Mauser 8mm sporter (built in the 20th century for nitro powder and jacketed bullets but built for the .318), and go out and screw the rifle or his face up due to a massive pressure spike.
No fun.

Nice pigs though!
Good success to y'all on your future hunts.

Cheers
Tinker

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 4:15 PM
Bact to the subject of hog hunting in los padres forest. It stinks. I live in monterey. (Monterey county highest pig population in the nation). Until I got permisssion on private ranches I never killed one. King city are has some better than nothing public hunting spots but there only worth going to in the winter. Summertime forget it. I only killed pigs on that public with my hounds. Never just rifle hunting. Private property is practly impossible to get unless you have big bucks for a lease. Farmers have people knocking on their door every day by people looking for permission. Best bet. Laguna moutain in the winter. williams hill in the winter. Conden peak in the winter. Only permission a person can get is the salinas river. I believe it has the biggest hogs in the state. But actually getting one in that thick nightmare of brush of a river is a long shot. happy hunting P.S. I hate gamewardens

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Anytime you want to go hog or pig hunting let me know.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-27-2009, 4:36 PM
I'm just poking in here to note something about 8x57 and 8x60 rifles - it's important to know for double damn sure what size bullets you need.
There are .318 and .323 bullets, no lead-free bullets for the rifles that need .318, and stuffing .323 bullets down the tube of a rifle that needs .318 bullets (especially copper solids like the Barnes X line of bullets) can cause dangerously excessive pressures.

Many folks believe that only pre-smokeless powder rifles were produced with the smaller bore, this is not the case. I've handled, owned, loaded for, shot etc Mausers and high grade double rifles (even in the 8x60 magnum) that were built well into the 1930's - specifically for jacketed bullets, full nitro magnum loads, AND the smaller diameter .318 bullet.

Slug your bore AND slug the throat of your chamber.
Know for double damn sure what kind of clearances your rifle has before you stuff copper solids like the Barnes X (or others like GS Custom or North Fork) down your barrel.

Even if you already knew this and know that the .323 is the right thing for your rifle, this hadn't been noted earlier in the thread and someone might find this discussion, own a nice Mauser 8mm sporter (built in the 20th century for nitro powder and jacketed bullets but built for the .318), and go out and screw the rifle or his face up due to a massive pressure spike.
No fun.

Nice pigs though!
Good success to y'all on your future hunts.

Cheers
Tinker

Thanks for posting this here it will really help those who need it.

cal3gunner
01-27-2009, 4:55 PM
To answer the question about what type of squirrels i'm shooting. They were ground squirrels. I never get tired of blowing these guys up. I think I've killed ground squirrels with every gun I own. As I said before, I didn't get pics of the one I shot at 200 yards but here is a pic of one I got the first day I shot my 357 magnum. Thats the day I learned to NEVER shoot that thing with out ear plugs unless I really have to. The 110 gr hollow point did a good job on the squirrel and the sound out of a 3 inch barrel did a hell of a number on my ears.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn250/cal3gunner/DSC_0095.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 4:58 PM
http://http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/?action=view&current=470765-R1-042-19A_021.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 4:58 PM
http://http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-042-19A_021.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:01 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-042-19A_021.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:02 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/IMG_5442.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:04 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-014-5A_007.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:08 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/IMG_5463.jpg

cal3gunner
01-27-2009, 5:16 PM
Great pigs!

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:24 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-052-24A_025.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-27-2009, 5:26 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-050-23A_024.jpg

tankerman
01-27-2009, 8:05 PM
Nice protection on the dog. Buddy of mine lost two pitbulls to a smart old boar. Boar backed into heavy brush at the base of a cliff, then fed the dogs his ear, when they would go for it he followed through with tusk to the neck.
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-050-23A_024.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
01-28-2009, 8:55 AM
Awesome pics I have never hunted with dogs before. It looks like a blast though.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-28-2009, 8:57 AM
To answer the question about what type of squirrels i'm shooting. They were ground squirrels. I never get tired of blowing these guys up. I think I've killed ground squirrels with every gun I own. As I said before, I didn't get pics of the one I shot at 200 yards but here is a pic of one I got the first day I shot my 357 magnum. Thats the day I learned to NEVER shoot that thing with out ear plugs unless I really have to. The 110 gr hollow point did a good job on the squirrel and the sound out of a 3 inch barrel did a hell of a number on my ears.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn250/cal3gunner/DSC_0095.jpg

Awesome. I love to see those little ground squirrels blown up. I leave them for the coyotes after I shoot them.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-28-2009, 8:59 AM
Bigboarstopper those are awesome boars I wish I could get one even remotely close to that size. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

bigboarstopper
01-28-2009, 4:17 PM
I have more pics but im having problem finding out where to post or look at others photos. This site is hard to navigate at times. I want to find A sticky section devoted to just photos of peoples hunting but its really difficult to find anything in here. By the way did you read my reply to you a few pages back about where to hunt in public land and when. Was meant for you as the threat topic originally requested. p.s I hate gamewardens :D

professionalcoyotehunter
01-29-2009, 7:54 AM
I have more pics but im having problem finding out where to post or look at others photos. This site is hard to navigate at times. I want to find A sticky section devoted to just photos of peoples hunting but its really difficult to find anything in here. By the way did you read my reply to you a few pages back about where to hunt in public land and when. Was meant for you as the threat topic originally requested. p.s I hate gamewardens :D

I must have missed the reply to where to hunt. I will take another look at it today. We should make our own photo section for hunting. Just start a new thread and I am sure we will all post pics.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-29-2009, 7:57 AM
Bact to the subject of hog hunting in los padres forest. It stinks. I live in monterey. (Monterey county highest pig population in the nation). Until I got permisssion on private ranches I never killed one. King city are has some better than nothing public hunting spots but there only worth going to in the winter. Summertime forget it. I only killed pigs on that public with my hounds. Never just rifle hunting. Private property is practly impossible to get unless you have big bucks for a lease. Farmers have people knocking on their door every day by people looking for permission. Best bet. Laguna moutain in the winter. williams hill in the winter. Conden peak in the winter. Only permission a person can get is the salinas river. I believe it has the biggest hogs in the state. But actually getting one in that thick nightmare of brush of a river is a long shot. happy hunting P.S. I hate gamewardens

Found it. I don't know any of those areas you are talking about. I don't go up there much but I would be willing to learn. If someone would like to guideme or show me some sweet spots that would be great.;)

a.tinkerer
01-29-2009, 3:02 PM
BoarStopper, CoyoteHunter -

Just another note to say I appreciate the notes on unguided central coast boar hunting on public land.
I'll get my topo maps out and look at the places boarstopper noted.

BoarStopper, great hogs you're showing. Great dogs too.
I've hunted black bear over plott and walker hounds, big thrills for sure.
I can imagine that the excitement factor is similarly high with your dogs - and I can also figure the experience is distinctly different.

I'd like to see those dogs in action some time.

Cheers
Tinker

devildog999
01-29-2009, 3:20 PM
I have got to do some hog hunting. Can't wait to get my Remington 700 in .308 so I have something capable to hunt them with. My buddy wants to do something sometime this year so I am stoked

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 4:01 PM
All of the public places i refered to in the last pages are all in monterey or san benito county. Beware of stockdale moutain!!! While it may be one of the best places to hunt public land for hogs its the best warden trap. The public to private property boundries are very confusing. The nighboring property owner will call a warden if he sees somone parked at the entrance to the public land. The entrance into stockdale moutain has a small easment and its very confusing as to correctly enter or exit without tresspassing. Wardens or the land owner will camp out up the road and watch while you enter and exit the land and if you get off the easment you get a tresspassing ticket. Trust me. I have recieved a ticket and many others have as well. The scoop is the property owner wants to buy the land from the government and is trying to make a better case to the government to sell it to him by getting as many tresspassing tickets handed out as possible. But i think it is probabally the best place to go. During the winter time if its been rainy they close a section of the road to it because the road is dirt and gets muddy. happy hunting.... P.S I hate gamewardens :thumbsup:

GuyW
01-29-2009, 4:05 PM
P.S I hate gamewardens :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear more about why you dislike game wardens...

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 4:06 PM
you have a few hours?? Ill give you an ear full.

5150Marcelo
01-29-2009, 4:08 PM
Bigboar,
Awsome pics bro. Looks like youll have some carnitas for days! Im lookin for a bolt 308 gun right now, and when i do, I plan on headin somewhere for some pig.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-29-2009, 4:12 PM
Anytime someone want to go just let me know. I need someone to go with who knows where to hunt up there I had a friend guide me around up there who knew a lot of the land owners That is why we were successful. If anyone will let me I would more than willing be up for going with you guys. I will guve you a coyote hunt to rememeber in return or a few if you want.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-29-2009, 4:13 PM
couldn't someone with a good GPS get over there and set some rock piles and mark access? Also, if I call the wardens and ask where the access is shouldn't they tell me where the easement is? wow I call BLM down here in Palm Springs or even the San Diego deer biologists and they both are very helpful on identifying access to public land. That is *our* public land to hunt and we need to stop these kind of corrupt lock ups.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Good thinking buddy. I hate game warden traps. I have been subject to one a long time ago.

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 4:20 PM
before even thinking about stockdale I advise everyone to google "stcokdale moutain hunt". you will be a believer. As for taking people hunting with me I have to decline, I have a large group of people who always wanna come and most of the good places i go to are the permission of others.

5150Marcelo
01-29-2009, 4:31 PM
before even thinking about stockdale I advise everyone to google "stcokdale moutain hunt". you will be a believer. As for taking people hunting with me I have to decline, I have a large group of people who always wanna come and most of the good places i go to are the permission of others.

understood. Atleast keep the cool pics coming!:thumbsup:

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 4:41 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-032-14A_016-1.jpg

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 4:44 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-008-2A_004.jpg

cal3gunner
01-29-2009, 4:47 PM
I've never had a bad encounter with game wardens on land. I've spent a lot of time on boats spearfishing and lobster hunting. I've had lots of negative encounters with gamewardens on boats. They treat us all like poachers and anything that closely resembles a violation they'll threaten to write you up and leave it to you to figure out in court.

The captain of the boat i worked on knew more about the regs than the wardens did. When they would try and write tickets he would quote regs which stated we were in the law. We would have to give them our copy of the regs so they could look it up. Sure enough we were always right and never got any tickets as long as I was on the boat.

We almost called the Coast Guard to report them because they would put our divers in risk by sneaking up on us with all their lights off during a night dive when we had red white red lights on. They came close to running over our divers with their props. Its ok, they only boarded 2 of our boats 4 times in the same night while divers were in the water, but hey they did write up one of the customers for one undersize lobster so I guess it was worth putting all the people in danger for that one lobster.

bigboarstopper
01-29-2009, 5:12 PM
Game wardens dont come across hunters like they do fisherman or remotely as often. When they come across hunters everyone is armed and they are outnumbered. They get really nervous sometimes especially when we brake out in argument. I have gone back and forth with them sinse I was 15. Ive known most of the wardens in my area on a first name basis. They dont like the law that i hunt under which allows me to kill hogs at night with my dogs. (not a depredation permit). search (what the california dfg dosent want you to know) in here to know about the law. Anyhow I have been cited numerous times. Only convicted once at stockdale moutain for tresspass. We disagree on the law and the courts have been on my side. I dated a girl once who worked in the dfg office and she was working one saturday and called me to her office to show me something. She took me to the wardens bulliten board in the monterey office and showed me the 10 most wanted locals list. I was #1. I have been lied to by game wardens and they love to give tickets for nothing. I believe they think most people will plead guilty due to the fact that the fine is the same most of the time as an attorney retainer. Either way they see a ticket as a win. we pay to fight or pay the ticket. Its the same money out of our pockets. Thats how i feel. Happy hunting.... P.S. I still hate gamewardens

cal3gunner
01-29-2009, 5:42 PM
I hear ya. You should use the freedom of info act to request a copy of that most wanted list and then frame it and hang it on the wall with your other trophies.

Its always a fun day when you have a warden with his hand on his sidearm ready to draw over an argument with a guy in full wetsuit, tank and weights that has a lobster that is just milimeters under size after the warrden forced the guage on to the lobster to make it fit.

skateboarder74
01-30-2009, 6:58 AM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/shaycambal/470765-R1-008-2A_004.jpg

NICE HOGS!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-30-2009, 7:05 AM

Not a problem buddy, we all have our special hunting groups and places. I am not offended in any way. Maybe I will see you out there sometime. Keep the pics coming.

bigboarstopper
01-31-2009, 8:07 PM
Im going to be taking my cousin hunting this next weekend. lets see if I can top his last pig. Im in the process of getting my hunting photo album put on a cd so I can post some more pics in the future. Big sandy is another ok winter public hunting spot. Think its a shotgun only zone. Ive never hunted there but the private land around it is good so mabye the hogs trickle into there. Most of the places ive refered to are sort of close to eachother so you can hit more than one in a 3 day weekend. Happy hunting..:thumbsup:

Vigilante
01-31-2009, 9:05 PM
Big sandy is another ok winter public hunting spot. Think its a shotgun only zone. Ive never hunted there but the private land around it is good so mabye the hogs trickle into there.

I've never seen pigs there, but I have seen signs. I've found tracks and places where they have dug holes for water. That was in the summer/fall when water was scarce, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll bet a guy could get a pig out there if he hunted the area hard. And yes you are correct, Big Sandy is shotgun only, so break out the slugs.

bigboarstopper
01-31-2009, 9:06 PM
copper slugs?

bigthaiboy
02-01-2009, 1:04 PM
Procoyotehunter, just in case you haven't found a vendor for 8mm lead-free ammo, Ammo Bros are approved by DFG to manufacture 8mm using Barnes bullets : http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/ammo/Ammo-Bros.pdf

It's worth giving Ammo Bros a call. Speak to Dustin on (562) 865-3980. Dustin is also an avid hunter, so I'm sure he can help.

Vigilante
02-01-2009, 3:21 PM
copper slugs?

I thought that someone made copper slugs, but I could be wrong. But either way, copper slugs are what you would have to use at Big Sandy.

skateboarder74
02-02-2009, 7:00 AM
Yes the do make copper slugs, they run about $20-$25 for a box of 5! I just picked so up at Fowlers Gun room in Tustin

professionalcoyotehunter
02-02-2009, 7:17 AM
Were thet rifled or smooth bore. I need some that are smooth for mine.

professionalcoyotehunter
02-02-2009, 7:18 AM
Procoyotehunter, just in case you haven't found a vendor for 8mm lead-free ammo, Ammo Bros are approved by DFG to manufacture 8mm using Barnes bullets : http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/ammo/Ammo-Bros.pdf

It's worth giving Ammo Bros a call. Speak to Dustin on (562) 865-3980. Dustin is also an avid hunter, so I'm sure he can help.

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try today.

skateboarder74
02-02-2009, 9:58 AM
rifled

professionalcoyotehunter
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Too bad for me. If you see any smooth let me know. I will jump on them.

professionalcoyotehunter
02-03-2009, 3:18 PM
Is anyone going soon that I can tag along with.

professionalcoyotehunter
02-04-2009, 7:50 AM
I am open this weekend to a coyote hunt if anyone is interested. First email get an opportunity to hunt with me for free.

Mstnpete
03-02-2009, 1:44 PM
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in? If you guys are planning on going on a pig hunt I would love to hunt with you guys. I just came from Turners Outdoors and The Shootist gun store and bought some 308/30-30 & 30-06
lead free ammo by Cor-bon. Please let me know.
Peter

tkmech21
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Is there any truth to the Mr Kesler stories? Is it really that tought to get to withought crossing the line and getting charged? I will have to find them again but I have heard horror stories about laguna mountain and have been afraid to try it since. But maybe thats the whold idea, To scare people from wanting to go.

~DEVO~
03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
It sounds like a lot of fun. I have found 1 manufacturer who makes the 8mm ammo in leasd free but it is $96 a box I will post the website in a little while.

In addition to Barnes.. I believe Nosler makes 8mm in the E-tip line of bullets. I last saw some at Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cuc.

Has anyone tried Soda Lake for piggies????

professionalcoyotehunter
03-04-2009, 8:55 AM
In addition to Barnes.. I believe Nosler makes 8mm in the E-tip line of bullets. I last saw some at Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cuc.

Has anyone tried Soda Lake for piggies????

Thanks for the info. I unfortunately don't have a re-loader at this time. Unless you are talking about already loaded than that would be great. I have been wanting to try soda lake for piggies but have no one to hunt with:o

Mstnpete
03-06-2009, 6:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I unfortunately don't have a re-loader at this time. Unless you are talking about already loaded than that would be great. I have been wanting to try soda lake for piggies but have no one to hunt with:o

I'll hunt with yah! Just let me know.
Peter