PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first coyote in Los Alamitos

Spelunker
01-12-2009, 5:58 PM
Last night I fired up the BBQ went inside to prep the wings. My brother saw the yote just below our patio. We hopped into the truck and chased him around the block, got out ran after him then back in the truck when he took off. He ran by a cat then stopped about 10 ft away from the cat and was looking at me then the cat trying to decide if it wanted to go after dinner with some crazy white boy chasing after his azz. I got within 5 feet as it whizzed by me before I lost it. Wish I had a bow handy. Gotta love hunting by hand in the big city.

frigginchi
01-12-2009, 6:14 PM
Wait til you get rabies, lol.
tOnqRPiI7MY

Spelunker
01-12-2009, 7:08 PM
In the United States, post-exposure rabies treatment consists of a regimen of one dose of rabies immune globulin and five doses of the rabies vaccine, over a 28-day period. Doctors administer the rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine as soon as possible after exposure. Normally, additional doses of rabies vaccine follow on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination.

Older rabies vaccines required painful, daily injections in the abdomen for up to three weeks, and they could produce severe side effects. Current rabies vaccines are relatively painless and are given in your arm, like a flu or tetanus vaccine.

devildog999
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I still don't want the damn thing! Painless treatment or not. If I was the neighbor, I woulda shot the damn fox dead.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-13-2009, 8:15 AM
Kill them all. Just remeber we do need a few of them to keep other species in check. When they are close to the city though they will kill your cats if you have any. I shot one with a bow in my front yard just last Sunday.

valleyguy
01-13-2009, 9:21 AM
Last night I fired up the BBQ went inside to prep the wings. My brother saw the yote just below our patio. We hopped into the truck and chased him around the block, got out ran after him then back in the truck when he took off. He ran by a cat then stopped about 10 ft away from the cat and was looking at me then the cat trying to decide if it wanted to go after dinner with some crazy white boy chasing after his azz. I got within 5 feet as it whizzed by me before I lost it. Wish I had a bow handy. Gotta love hunting by hand in the big city.

That cat caught a lucky break that day. Makes you wonder what it was doing out like that. Sad fact of living up in the hills with the coyotes -- the smart cats know to stay in at night, and the dumb/cocky ones... well, they don't live to regret the error of their ways. We lost a lot of cats to coyotes, so shoot all the coyotes you see :43:

devildog999
01-13-2009, 8:14 PM
That cat caught a lucky break that day. Makes you wonder what it was doing out like that. Sad fact of living up in the hills with the coyotes -- the smart cats know to stay in at night, and the dumb/cocky ones... well, they don't live to regret the error of their ways. We lost a lot of cats to coyotes, so shoot all the coyotes you see :43:

I'm with you there. My parents never understood leaving the cats in at night. When living in Pacoima, wasn't an issue. Living in Santa Clarita, big issue. I don't exaggerate when I say we lost at least a dozen cats that I can name off the top of my head to yotes. One of the reasons I wanna go hunt the boogers.

dominic
01-14-2009, 5:16 PM
This is a coincidence, but I was just reading something about a UC Davis study that said they analyzed coyote diets in southern california andd that 80-90% of a coyotes diet around urban situations like the LA area consisted of house cats and small dogs. Theres some interesting information and a page to report a coyote "encounter" on the UC Davis web site here: http://www.coyotebytes.org/

CHS
01-14-2009, 5:57 PM
Kill them all. Just remeber we do need a few of them to keep other species in check.

I don't get it.

Kill them all? Leave a few alive? That's not exactly the same as killing all of them.

Mike A
01-14-2009, 8:27 PM
Since I see coyotes (in several parts of OC; Bommer Canyon, El Moro/Crystal Cove, Santa Ana Mtns., Bolsa Chica Wetlands/Seal Beach NWS) hunting rodents in the daytime, dawn, and dusk, I suspect that the UCD "catfood/dogfood count" is high. They DO kill off cats (and any dogs that you are dumb enough to let run), but those are just targets of opportunity. Their real "day job" is mice, ground squirrels, and rabbits, both kinds.

Most of the bird preserves in OC report lessened bird predation (including some endangered species) because the coyotes have greatly reduced the numbers of abandoned and feral house cats. Coyotes apparently don't spend much time hunting birds.

If you like your cat, don't let him/her roam except in broad daylight. Even that is a little risky if you live near any brush or woods--I live in suburban Seal Beach and found a gray cat "drumstick" on my neighbor's front lawn the other day. Fresh.

My wife and I watched a large ***** coyote over in the oil fields near the river yesterday; she was waiting in the weeds by a ground squirrel colony just waiting for a squirrel to get careless. This morning at 6:45 we had a nice coyote "opera" going in Blue Gum Park, a block from my house. I like the songs, myself.

Coyotes are just wolves adapted to living in a dry climate with little water and small game. Not bad neighbors, but they need to be taught to keep their distance and their numbers need to be kept in check, or they will move right in with ya. That's what guns are for, among other things.

Mike A
01-14-2009, 8:29 PM
Apparently our software doesn't like the standard English word for a female canid. Should I apologize to it?

brassburnz
01-15-2009, 1:15 AM
I live in the Silver Lake hills of L.A. near Glendale with a huge coyote population. I see at least one a week while walking the dog and occasionally the dog wants to run them down. We chased one down the street tonight.

There's always a sign for a lost cat or small dog tacked to the telephone poles in my neighborhood. What's interesting is the coyotes around me hunt in small groups-not really a pack, but a mom and pups.

Mike A
01-15-2009, 7:30 AM
Yeah, Randy, dogs want to chase coyotes, but don't let them do it. I had a friend that let his two (very large and expensive dogs, trained to hunt birds) standard poodles run a coyote. Found poodle fur all over Shasta County the next morning. Not a happy story for the kids....

Most dogs just aren't a match for a family of coyotes, for a whole lot of reasons. But unlike full-sized wolves, coyotes don't really seem to form extended family (more than two generations) packs. They do run in parent/pup groups of up to six, tho. I guess they just don't have the running range to support bigger groups, and they don't hunt really big game like elk where the kill requires some serious long running and attacking in shifts and then "piling on" at the end like wolves do. And their kills won't support a pack, either (think jackrabbit versus bison calf or cow elk).

I moved here from upstate New York, where the coyotes are common and considerably larger than in CA. Country people there call 'em "coydogs" and believe they are crossed with domestic dogs. A few years ago NYS DFG did a genetic study on coyotes and found no dog-specific genes, but a lot of gray wolf genes. Apparently NYS coyotes came from Canada where the two groups interbreed (coyotes are an invasive species in NY; they weren't there when full sized wolves were--wolves eat coyotes).

In NYS they do kill deer in the depths of winter when the deer are weak and less mobile because of snow/ice. In CA when you find deer hair in coyote scat, chances are very good that the real killer was either a Volvo or a cougar. Mr. C was just cleanin' up somebody else's mess.

valleyguy
01-15-2009, 8:42 AM
I'm with you there. My parents never understood leaving the cats in at night. When living in Pacoima, wasn't an issue. Living in Santa Clarita, big issue. I don't exaggerate when I say we lost at least a dozen cats that I can name off the top of my head to yotes. One of the reasons I wanna go hunt the boogers.

Before the coyotes made such a big comeback in the part of the Valley where I lived (Woodland Hills, up in the less-developed hills), you only had to worry about them on trash nights, so that would be when we kept the cat in.

Later on it got much worse, and my cat would even keep himself in (he was a smart tabby cat), steaming the whole time about the good hunting he was missing, but he was nervous too, and he could smell them.

Same area, the coyote problem is just out of control now. They routinely kill neighborhood dogs during the daylight hours -- a dog on a walk up the hill wanders away from it's owner down the hill, or is lured down there by a female, and then the pack tears them apart. Of course, since we're in L.A. city, you can't do anything about it, and Animal Control doesn't care either. Everyone's so worried about the "native wildlife" and not being "cruel to animals", ignoring the fact that every time you lose a dog or cat, that's lots of $s down the drain (vet bills, licensing) and unhappy families who now don't have a dog to guard their house. Wish we could get some hunting going here.

fusionstar
01-15-2009, 9:30 AM
There is a huge yote within Sacramento limits.. I almost ran over it after dropping my sister off at work. It was the size of a Police German Shepperd. It was on Mayhew road in Sacramento, next to bradshaw and fruitridge. Havent heard any bad reports from that area so I think it just keeps to itself. Homes were only 300 yards away.