PDA

View Full Version : Custom Computer Builds and Upgrades (Greater L.A. Area/SGV)

Matt C
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Custom Computer Builds and Upgrades, been doing both for 10 years, I have a professional shop, this won't be "home built".

I can build and configure servers, load balancers, firewalls, SANs, you name it. I can do a complete setup of a load balanced system with DB servers, Web Servers and Firewall, your data center or mine. 50TB NAS for under $15k!

Custom gaming or home/office setups also, from budget to bleeding edge with plenty of value in the middle. If anything goes wrong with your system I'll work on it for free FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN IT at NO CHARGE (any parts no longer under factory warranty replaced at your cost).

I've done plenty of work for other calgunners if you need references.

Send an email to matt@teamnewrock.com with what you want and I'll send you a quote or estimate.

Darklyte27
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Whats wrong with Home built?
Ive "home built" my own computers, Overclock them and even watercooled them.

are you charging a hourly rate? flat fee?

Matt C
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, for example most people don't have anti-static safeguards in place when doing builds. In any case, I build my own computers (at home) for many years, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying this is not a garage based operation.

Whats wrong with Home built?
Ive "home built" my own computers, Overclock them and even watercooled them.

are you charging a hourly rate? flat fee?

Generally a flat fee for builds and upgrades, if you have something that is not quite ATX (like an older Dell), upgrade cost might be higher.

jester
01-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Just curious, I've got an almost Brand NEW Toshiba Notebook, and I REALLY HATE VISTA.
What would you charge to zap this OS and install XP?
Do you have an XP disk.
Is this even possible?

nick
01-19-2009, 11:34 PM
OEM Vista is downgradeable.

Matt C
01-20-2009, 9:41 AM
Just curious, I've got an almost Brand NEW Toshiba Notebook, and I REALLY HATE VISTA.
What would you charge to zap this OS and install XP?
Do you have an XP disk.
Is this even possible?

$75 if you bring it to me in LA, for proper install of XP (SP2) and I'll put MS Office on there as well. Vista sucks.

Matt C
05-08-2009, 10:57 PM
BTT I have some really good deals on mid to high end systems right now, lots of inventory.

Mayhem
05-10-2009, 2:48 AM
Hey Blackwater Do you carry parts? Specially older stuff p3/p4 socket 478/378 agp ect?

Matt C
05-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Blackwater Do you carry parts? Specially older stuff p3/p4 socket 478/378 agp ect?

Sure, what are you looking for?

Mayhem
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
p4 HT CPU's 478 intel 865 and intel 875 Motherboards. AGP video cards faster then an ATI 9800.

Old pc 100 Low Density 128megabit bit memory (Intel BX motherboards can only utilize half high density 256 megabit memory ie. 256 mbyte shows as 128 mbyte)

128mb should have 8 chips 256mb should have 16 chips (32Mx4 or 16Mx8 vs 64x2)

heres part of a faq that explains the BX high density memory problem better. it also explains why finding 256mb dimms that work well with a bx motherboard are such a pain.

Q: I've just bought some 256MB "high density" module with 16 chips on it and only half of the ram gets recognized. What's wrong?
A: If the modules was sold as "high density" then it is not compatible with boards based on the bx chipset. These modules use ram chips organized as 32Mx4 (see question "What module sizes are supported on my bx-based board?"). Note that the term "high density" is technically wrong, because these modules consist of ram chips with the exact same density (128mbit per chip) as those sold as "low density" (which usually consist of ram chips organized as 16Mx8). The term should be avoided because it will likely change its meaning over time too.

There exist at least four different types of 256MB modules.
(1). Modules with 16 ram chips, each chip organized as 16Mx8. The 16Mx8 means each ram chip has 16 million addresses and the data width of a ram chip is 8 bit. Since the ram interface calls for 64 bit data width, 8 chips are needed to form one ram bank. But because there are 16 modules on the dimm, this means there have to be two banks. The 16Mx8 also means one chips has a capacity of 128mbit. These are the modules which work on boards based on the bx chipset.
(2). 16 ram chips per module, each chip organized as 32Mx4. Because one chip has only a data width of 4 bits, all 16 chips are needed to form one ram bank. Such modules are cheaper to produce (because of the lower pin count of each ram chip), but they won't work in bx-based boards and will likely cause problems in any other chipset too, IMHO you really shouldn't buy them. They are mostly used in cheap generic ram (an exception are registered ram modules, where such chips seem to be quite common and where they shouldn't cause any problems in a board with a chipset which supports them - but unfortunately the bx does not).
(3). 8 ram chips per module, each chip organized as 32Mx8. Newer quality Dimms feature such organization, but they will not work on bx-based boards. Each chip has 256mbit and all 8 chip form one bank - to the chipset this looks almost the same as (2).
(4). Intel lists another type in their newer chipsets datasheets: 8 ram chips per module, each chip organized as 16Mx16. These modules consist of 2 banks, each bank has 4 chips. They aren't widely used in normal 168-pin dimms in reality yet but might be more popular in the future (they have 4 chips per side), but are often found in so-dimms for notebooks (4 chips per side). Such modules won't work, they look quite similar from a chipset perspective to type (1), but they require the so-called "8k refresh" and the bx chipset only supports up to 4k refresh.
Expect more of the type (3) and probably (4) to show up in the future for sale. They will likely be cheaper than the type (1) , because they use fewer chips, and with newer process technologies (read: smaller structures) the ram chips itself shouldn't be a lot more expensive to manufacture.

Q: My 256MB module has 8 chips on each side of the module, so it is obviously double-sided?
A: Life would be simple if things would be that easy ;-). There seems to be a bit of confusion with the term "single-sided" versus "double-sided". Sometimes it is used to describe how the module looks like, then it certainly is true that a module with 8 chips on each side is double-sided. But usually the term double-sided refers to the logical organization of the ram chips (synonym as banks), not the physical placement of the chips. It is possible to have a one bank module with 8 chips on each side of the module (as is the case if it is a 256MB module with chips organized as 32Mx4) and vice versa (at least in theory, I've not seen a module with 2 banks and 8 chips on only one side - this would require chips organized as yzMx16, which would be more expensive to produce without any advantages).

There seems to be a bit of confusion with the term "single-sided" versus "double-sided". Sometimes it is used to describe how the module looks like, then it certainly is true that a module with 8 chips on each side is double-sided. But usually the term double-sided refers to the logical organization of the ram chips (synonym as banks), not the physical placement of the chips. It is possible to have a one bank module with 8 chips on each side of the module (as is the case if it is a 256MB module with chips organized as 32Mx4) and vice versa (at least in theory, I've not seen a module with 2 banks and 8 chips on only one side - this would require chips organized as yzMx16, which would be more expensive to produce without any advantages).

Matt C
05-10-2009, 1:29 PM
Sent you a PM Mayhem.

Matt C
05-14-2009, 7:58 PM

Mayhem
05-15-2009, 8:52 PM
I sent to PM I hope you got them.

Matt C
05-28-2009, 6:36 PM
I sent to PM I hope you got them.

btt