PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear eyes and ears while hunting?

sig22018
01-11-2009, 6:32 PM
Went duck hunting with my brother in law for the first time. He doesn't wear eyes. I normally do when I hunt but didn't that day. I felt exposed and naked without my shooting glasses. I will never do that again. He never wears them. Is it more important to have eyes at the range because of others and so many guns going off or what? Just want to hear some of your 2cents.

Vigilante
01-11-2009, 6:54 PM
It depends on what I am hunting. Well, actually that only applies to hearing protection. I never wear eye protection while hunting or target shooting unless it is required. As far as hunting is concerned, I only wear hearing protection when I don't need to use my ears, like when hunting dove, band tails, or ducks. I've only gone duck hunting a few times, and did absolutely no calling, so that's why I was able to get away with wearing ear plugs. The guys that I went with did not wear any hearing protection so that they could better identify various duck calls. Now, when hunting deer, pig, turkey, or quail, then I won't wear hearing protection, because I feel as though it would hinder my ability to hunt.

damon1272
01-11-2009, 7:29 PM
I wear eyes and ears when hunting upland game. As for hunting other creatures I always wear ears but may forego the glasses.

kato4moto
01-11-2009, 7:34 PM
Most of my hunting consists of my 10/22 and squirrels. I wear neither ear nor eye protection in that case. When I went deer hunting in TX, I wore ears (Peltor Tac 6) but not eyes; forgot them.

inkedshooter
01-11-2009, 8:05 PM
Went plinking squirrels today with my Savage.17hmr, had some ear plugs in and sunglasses cause it was sunny. Sun starts to set, glasses come off, but keep ear plugs in.

Rob454
01-11-2009, 8:14 PM
usually I dont wear any eyes or ears. IF Im just sitting there ambush style then I may pop a pair of foam plugs but other than that I dont
Toomany of the areas where I go hunting have rattle snakes. It woudl truly suck getitng bit by a rattler 10 miles from anywhere

Big-Kr3w
01-11-2009, 8:16 PM
always wear eye protection....ears not usually when using a shotgun..unless there more then 2 or 3 then youll be glad you did...

Seesm
01-11-2009, 8:26 PM
Neither... At a range if you have to it is just a god idea... When out in the field I need to hear what is going on around me, we have alot of wild creatures and I want to hear them coming if they want to eat me... :)

Sky_DiveR
01-11-2009, 8:33 PM
I "always" wear eye protection when it comes to guns! (It's expensive when you have to buy prescription safety glasses) When I used to duck hunt, we sometimes had 2 or 3 guys in a blind and the guy on the right might get a shell in the eye... or worse. And with bolt actions... what if a primer should let go? Your face is directly behind the bolt. What if a gun should blow up? I saw a guy that that happened to and he said he was wearing glasses when his shotgun blew up... you could actually see the outline of the glasses from the scars on his face.

I know gun manufacturers build alot of safety features into their guns but it only takes one time for something to happen. Like the saying goes, "It's better to have & not need then to need & not have".

As for ears, there is technology that amplifies sounds while shutting down loud noises. Walkers for example, are very comfortable, small, and out of the way. I also notice that I can hear sounds that my aging ears can no longer pick-up. Sometimes I hear footsteps that the human ear cannot pickup and with the stereo function on the better ones, you can even tell what direction they are coming from.

I go hunting and shooting with guys that don't wear one or the other, or sometimes, neither... I figure I only get one set of each to last me my whole life... might as well make sure they last. I just can't drop by, "Made in china mart" to get a new set.

Gunaria
01-11-2009, 8:59 PM
Since I bought some electronic ear muffs in 2007, I use them on almost all my hunting trips now. I can hear snow geese from miles away and they also protect my hearing from the 3.5 inch 12 ga. shells that I bang all day long. Plus I can hear all types of game or non game walking through the brush.

As I know a few older hunters and they are always saying, "What or uhh..." I don't want to be like that if I happen to live that long.

Rule .308
01-11-2009, 9:07 PM
I wear eye protection but have never worn hearing protection when I hunt. The thing that I have always found funny is that you never really notice the gun going off when you are hunting, not like you would when you are just blasting away. While I do duck hunt, a large part of my hunting is predator hunting and with the rush of calling in coyotes, bobcats, etc you never really notice the recoil or the report of the rifle going off. I took a newbie out last weekend and when I mentioned it to him after he shot at an animal he was pretty amazed about it.

popndrop
01-12-2009, 8:36 PM
Since I bought some electronic ear muffs in 2007, I use them on almost all my hunting trips now. I can hear snow geese from miles away and they also protect my hearing from the 3.5 inch 12 ga. shells that I bang all day long. Plus I can hear all types of game or non game walking through the brush.

As I know a few older hunters and they are always saying, "What or uhh..." I don't want to be like that if I happen to live that long.

Same for me, my hearing is already bad and I'm in my early 30's - so I bought one of those Walker Game Ear's - works like a charm, and doesn't get in the way at all. I usually wear sunglasses, but not clear lenses when it's not sunny.
My grandfather fought in WWII, and his hearing is "shot" to hell, he can't hardly hear, even with his hearing aids, and blames it on the gunfire and such from the war - not that I'm exposed to that kind of fire...but a (pit)duck blind with 4 guys sure sounds like it sometimes ;)

Better spend to spend a couple hundred bucks now then thousands later...

Barbarossa
01-12-2009, 9:38 PM
Huh?

My hearing sucks and I'm 27. Been raised hunting ducks from 6 or 7.

20 years of shot guns going off by my head, and Drag racing. I notice the difference in bars and other loud places.

I figure since it is long term exposure that causes damage, a few shots fow 12 weekends a year isn't going to make me much worse.

rabagley
01-13-2009, 8:08 AM
I always wear glasses but not ear protection. I have two pairs of glasses, amber for dawn/dusk and polarized dark amber for the rest of the day. I just dropped $2500 for laser-correction of my right (dominant) eye, and I will protect that investment.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of active earmuffs as I am a little worried about my hearing, too. I'll probably take another look at them before next season.

Sydwaiz
01-13-2009, 8:19 AM
Huh?

My hearing sucks and I'm 27. Been raised hunting ducks from 6 or 7.

20 years of shot guns going off by my head, and Drag racing. I notice the difference in bars and other loud places.

I figure since it is long term exposure that causes damage, a few shots fow 12 weekends a year isn't going to make me much worse.

Sounds like my case (or is that doesn't sound?) and I'm 34. Pretty much grew up pheasant hunting every weekend since I was old enough to shoot a .410 from under my armpit.

I'll wear my Pro-ears muffs now when coyote hunting, especially with my 22-250 or carbine AR. But not usually when carrying my bull barrel AR. I only wears eyes when it's time to put on my sunglasses later in the day.

Mac Attack
01-13-2009, 8:31 AM
I hunted for years without eyes and ears. My reason was that I couldn't hear with plugs and didn't want to risk my hunt by not hearing my pray. I also never used glasses because I just didn't think about it.

Looking back now I would wear eyes but am still not sold on ears. None of the guys on my lease wore hearing protection unless we were shooting for fun. Heck I hardly shot my rifle but when I did I didn't even notice the sound because I was focused on my shot and trying to keep myself from getting excited by the opportunity.

You can buy plugs and muffs which amplify sound but it doesn't seem natural to me.

fusionstar
01-13-2009, 7:17 PM
Since I bought some electronic ear muffs in 2007, I use them on almost all my hunting trips now.

Any good recommendations for 50-100 dollars range? Im still on some dummy muffs that I got from cabelas for 12 dollars. Im so deaf with those on. I can barely hear my friends yelling in my face at the range.

Dark&Good
01-14-2009, 2:50 AM
I only did "low action" hunting by now (deer, bear, pig - no success though, I'm brand new to it and went once for each)... but I don't wear either of those outdoors. Feels awkward enough with glasses and scope at the range :)