PDA

View Full Version : Suppose Prop H Passes

the proton
10-18-2005, 6:01 PM
Alright, so assume the worst and prop H passes. As a San Francisco resident does anyone, including the SF Board of Stupes, know the answer to these questions.

- Can I legally own a handgun not stored in SF?
- Can I legally buy a handgun outside of SF, as long as I don't bring it home?
- Can I legally have a a relatives (non SF resident) handgun in my house when they are not here?
- Will the SFPD be able to check on the status of previously owned guns, IE check the records and come by for a visit?

Lastly, does anyone know of a good quick access shotgun safe, similar to the quick access handgun safes that use a few buttons and pop open? Ideally something very small. If, god forbid, I actually need to defend myself I do not want to go to jail like that poor SOB in Willmette, IL.

For what it is worth I have managed to convince 6 people to vote no, who would have voted yes, and I'm going to keep trying to stop it from passing. If it does pass I really hope all the money I've given to the NRA and CRPA are not wasted, and we get a successful lawsuit to stop it before the 90 days are up.

bwiese
10-18-2005, 8:04 PM
As I understand it, if passed (and if challeges fail, which is unlikely) you'd still be able to OWN your handgun(s), just not store them in SF city. Expect to see locker rentals at Jackson Arms in South SF :)

You would be able to buy a handgun or accept a transfer. They can't stop you from doing that; you just (if law passed) couldn't bring it into SF.

The law is funky because it doesn't affect non-SF residents. I, for example, on a trip to Reno would be able to drive right thru SF with my (locked, unloaded) handguns.

Status of relatives' handguns at your house could be murky- is it your gun because it's under loan to you (remember, infrequent lending of guns between parties known to each other - and not disqualified from gun ownership - for period of under 30 days is legal under CA law)? This might be defined by 'access' - if the other party had it in a safe/container they only knew the combo of.

This will also call into question residency

Mike Searson
10-18-2005, 8:10 PM
If it is enforced like the Washington DC handgun ban was/is...a SF resident will not be allowed to buy a handgun anywhere in the state.

You guys have to remember the law is enforced by the bureacracy...the CA DOJ in this case.

Jon
10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
If it is enforced like the Washington DC handgun ban was/is...a SF resident will not be allowed to buy a handgun anywhere in the state.

You guys have to remember the law is enforced by the bureacracy...the CA DOJ in this case.

Nothing of value to add other than, oh man, that would be bad.

wolfgunner
10-19-2005, 1:18 AM
Just to on the safe side maybe you should transfer all your guns over to me ;-)

podobo
10-19-2005, 9:04 AM
I did find a informative link concerning Prop H.

http://mccullagh.org/sf/handgun-ban/

It doesn't answer all the questions but it was a good read.

1911_sfca
10-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Click here (http://www.sfdefense.org/sfban/ban-proposition.pdf) to read the actual text of what's being proposed. It looks like it's written by a 6th grader as a school project.

It doesn't prohibit SF residents from buying or owning something out of the City. It limits *possession* in the city, and prohibits any buy//sell/trade inside the City. I don't see why CA DOJ would get involved in this, except to deny any DROSes from SF.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-19-2005, 6:56 PM
It looks like it's written by a 6th grader as a school project.

Did you notice that, although SFPD will be exempt from the handgun ban, they will not be exempt from the ammunition transfer/distribution ban. Police officers will have to drive down to San Mateo county at the start of their shifts in order to pick up any new ammo they need.

dwtt
10-19-2005, 8:03 PM
I don't know if you are familiar with the Coalition Against Prohibition, but they are based in SF and are the main opposition to Prop H. You can get involved, even if it's just to tape up flyers on telephone poles, and help spread the work against H. They can be found at www.sfcap.org

scott
10-20-2005, 8:44 PM
According to the article in American Rifleman, non-SF residents can temporarily import their firearms as long as the guns leave with the owner.

lazyman
10-20-2005, 8:50 PM
wow that sucks for san fransican people. Yeah I'd contact the NRA guys and give them hell to do something. I hope prop H isn't a "test" for the rest of us in the state

1911_sfca
10-20-2005, 10:16 PM
The NRA is well aware of what's going on. Here is their web site (http://www.stopsanfranban.com/) on the issue.

Keep in mind that the NRA does not play well in SF. If they come in hard before the election, it would be a BAD thing. If it passes, their help will be important in the courts.