PDA

View Full Version : Ateballsidepocket: New To Calguns!

ateballsidepocket
01-09-2009, 4:05 PM
Sorry for posting a few days after signing up. I didn't pay attention to the "New Members" area until today.

Anyway, my son is a member here, and told me this is a great forum with great folks, and I'll have every question, I could possibly come up with answered here.

Just got an M44 Mosin for a Christmas present from my wife. It's an unused, mint condition Polish made M44, marked build date 1953. It has that great solid stock that looks like beech wood.

Took it out to the range with my son, and fired off some old 7.62x54R corrosive military ammo that the original owner included in the sale. Boy, what a big old flame with that old ammo! I attracted a little attention at the range. Had a few gun owners come by to see what was making the big old "boom" sound, and orange flames.

My shoulder was a little achey, but not bad. I wore my trap shooting pad, a sweatshirt, a golf shirt, and an undershirt for padding. If the range hadn't been closing in the evening, I would have shot that Mosin a few more times.

Thanks to the owners in relics who gave me advice on cleaning out that corrosive residue in the barrel.

Anyway, I got my first gun at age 11 under the old Christmas tree. My dad and mom bought me a Sears J.C. Higgins bolt bolt action 22 rifle. That was 1961. I still have that rifle, and the bore is pretty as a mirror and the rifleing is in great shape. I used when in college up at Humboldt state in the late 60's early 70's to do some squirrel hunting near, Ferndale, Ca.. I bagged my California 2-limit of acorn fed squirrels with my other college roommates and we had roasted squirrel that night. Tasted like pork to me.

Nailed those squirrels with a a standard V-sight, and no scope.

When I turned 16, I got did my California hunter training course on a Saturday/all day, taught by a Santa Clara County Sheriff. I don't remember it costing anything.

Me and my Dad duck, and goose hunted with Model 1100 Remington 2 3/4 full choke Semi auto 12 ga's. When dad passed on I got his 1100. Me and my son who's a member here just started doing some trap shooting with Dad's and my gun recently. I had beginner's luck last Summer and hit about 19 out of 25. Went out a few weeks later and couldn't hit the side of a barn with my shotgun.

Got a Ruger KGP-100 Stainless steel 4" revolver about 2 months ago. Again my Calgun member son influenced me to get a hand gun. It's the 38/357 model, and I really love shooting that piece. The 357's do bang the palm of my hand a little, but it's fun.

Back in my Humboldt State U. days in Arcata, California, word was around that these stores called Bazaar were going out of business in California, and you could by all there firearms for roughly 50% off. I went down and bought that Teddy Roosevelt Model 94 Winchester with the platinum tangs, and heavy, octagonal barrel. I've never shot that 30-30. I bought that rifle for $99.00 back then. The Carbines with gold tangs were going for $79.00 at the Bazaar store. Didn't have the money to pick one of those up.

You remember the good old days then you could buy an AR-15 at Gemco? I just drooled over one of those Colt AR-15 at Gemco. Wanted it so bad but it was about a little under $200.00.. Imagine........Gemco sold AR's!

What in the world has happened here in our state and our nation?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading all the interesting threads/topics on Calguns.
Oh.....might as well tell..........I'm 60 years old, and a very blessed grandpa with 4 grand children, 3 married sons, and wonderful wife. Life hasn't been easy, but overall, I'm a blessed man.

Seesm
01-09-2009, 9:42 PM
Howdy.... I think I forgot to post here early on as well... We get all pumped up on guns and we forget what were supposed to do... :) Welcome.

sytfu_RR
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Welcome to CG, tons of info and plenty of knowledgeable people.

Trendkill
01-10-2009, 1:31 AM
Welcome to the site...

This is a great resource for great info......

Even though Gemco is looonnnggggg gone. A CA compliant AR/M4 is just at your fingertips....just search around a bit. Its easier than you think.

Check out the photo Gallery in the Rifle forum.....its loaded with CA compliant "Black Rifles".

ZirconJohn
01-10-2009, 1:42 AM
Cool man... welcome.

I joined in Sept of 2007... what!

Started posting only 3 weeks ago... WHAT!!!

It's very addictive:taz:

CA357
01-10-2009, 6:08 AM
Welcome. There's a few of us more "mature" gents here. ;)

Some Guy
01-10-2009, 6:52 AM
gemco, i forgot about that place