View Full Version : Some questions about selling a long arm from CA to out of state buyer

01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, I've been doing the searches, but I'm not seeing direct answers that would answer my questions, since majority seem to deal with either sending from CA to out of state family member, or importing from out of state to CA.

A friend of mine wants to buy my marlin 60, it's a .22 bolt action, made in 1968, and does NOT have a serial number since this was the last year before serial numbers were mandated on .22 rifles. She's in Maryland, and has an FFL dealer that will handle the transation

I'm pretty new to transferring to others out of state, especially private party. What steps do I need to take to cover my butt legally? Does an FFL dealer here have to ship the rifle out? Do I just box it up and send it to FFL with a copy of my license?


01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
A non-licensee can send a firearm to an FFL directly, you do not need to have an FFL send it to another FFL. However, some FFLs will not accept shipments from non-licensees, so you need to check with the buyer's FFL to see if he will, and what he requires.

01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Got it, thanks much for the quick reply. Any issues regarding the fact that it's not serialized?

01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
No, there is no problem as it was not originally manufactured with one.

01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
yup, shouldn't be a problem. IIRC, the FFL will just note "No serial number" or words to that effect in the bound book and 4473.