PDA

View Full Version : sacramento ammo purchase laws?

kenjimatic
01-06-2009, 3:16 PM
I heard about this law specifically for sacramento that you can't buy ammo unless you give the dealer a right thumb print and let them make a copy of your drivers license(ID). I've also heard that sacramento residence can't buy ammo online and have it shipped to your door. Only way is to have it shipped to an FFL and give a thumb print and a copy of your ID. I've seen some of the online ammo dealers posted no sales to california and is it because of this.

Is this true? if so can you direct me to DOJ or correct website that states this? I did some searching and came out with nothing and I just wanted to make sure of this.

Shane916
01-06-2009, 3:31 PM
This registration is in the city and does require the purchaser to provide ID and a right thumb print. The dealer enters all the information of the ammunition into the system and it goes off to Sac PD.

Not sure if this has any effect on shipping ammo but lots of sites place Sacramento on their as places that are restricted. I don't think they have reasoning otherwise seeing other sites doing it so they follow.

Anthonysmanifesto
01-06-2009, 3:37 PM
There is absolutely no restirction on Mail/internet Ammo purchases, unless that vendor maintains a brick and mortor shop in the city limits of Sacramento.

Shane916
01-06-2009, 3:42 PM
While we're on the topic. I saw Kevin McCarty a couple of weeks ago and thought I recognized his face from somewhere...

Completely forgot he was the one who authored the bill..

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/council/departments/home.cfm?menuID=5011

CSDGuy
01-06-2009, 3:44 PM
Those vendors that don't want to ship to CA simply don't want to end up having their ammo sale/shipment be considered to have occurred within the City of Sacramento because if it is, then they'd be in violation of this local City Ordinance. There is no corresponding ordinance in the County of Sacramento though.

There is no DOJ regulations/state law on this that I'm aware of.

DDT
01-06-2009, 3:45 PM
These things drive me nuts. Restraint of commerce, plain and simple. Incorporation can't come soon enough. It is going to be a nightmare going around challenging all of the myriad different laws that are going to be instantly unconstitutional.

Shane916
01-06-2009, 3:50 PM
There is no corresponding ordinance in the County of Sacramento though.

For that I am thankful of.

Librarian
01-06-2009, 3:53 PM
I heard about this law specifically for sacramento that you can't buy ammo unless you give the dealer a right thumb print and let them make a copy of your drivers license(ID). I've also heard that sacramento residence can't buy ammo online and have it shipped to your door. Only was is to have it shipped to an FFL and give a thumb print and a copy of your ID. I've seen some of the online ammo dealers posted no sales to california and is it because of this.

Is this true? if so can you direct me to DOJ website that states this? I did some searching and came out with nothing and I just wanted to make sure of this.

As noted, it's Sacramento Municipal Code: Title 5 BUSINESS LICENSES AND REGULATIONS
5.66.020 Ammunition sales log required.

An ammunition vendor shall maintain an ammunition sales log which records all firearm ammunition sales as required by this chapter. The transferee shall provide, and the ammunition vendor shall record on the ammunition sales log, at the time of sale, the following information for each sale of firearms ammunition:

A. The name, address, and date of birth of the transferee;

B. The date of the sale;

C. The transferee’s driver’s license number, state identification card number, passport number, or other valid government-issued photographic identification;

D. The brand, type, and quantity of firearms ammunition transferred;

E. The identity of the person transferring the firearms ammunition on behalf of the ammunition vendor;

F. The transferee’s signature and right thumbprint. (Ord. 2007-065 § 1)

kenjimatic
01-06-2009, 4:02 PM
As noted, it's Sacramento Municipal Code:

Exactly what i needed, thanks Libraian :thumbsup:

..and thanks to all of you with the quik resonse :thumbsup:

RRangel
01-06-2009, 4:27 PM
There is absolutely no restirction on Mail/internet Ammo purchases, unless that vendor maintains a brick and mortor shop in the city limits of Sacramento.

Sorry this is off topic, but I figured this was the same thing with the new politically hyped Los Angeles city ammunition codes. I do not see how they propose to stop mail order sales for a product that is legal. It seems like more FUD.

shirow
01-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Check out this Facebook group dedicated to the ammo law. They claim the following:

"The City of Sacramento recently stepped up its efforts to curb gun violence in our community. The one-year old City Ammunition Ordinance has helped police arrest 51 criminals and gang members seeking to load their weapons, and has led to the confiscation of 56 guns from the hands of felons."

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33798492545

They are going for the county too!

Here's their online petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/prevent-gun-violence.html

Gee only 14 signatures...

sigsauer887
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
"Because criminals operate with no regard for city limits, we need to use this tool to fight crime in every jurisdiction in our area."

HAHAHAHA...so criminals have regard for the law, but not for city limits? Are you kidding me?