PDA

View Full Version : Gun carry at home

Liberty1
01-06-2009, 3:12 PM
from a VCDL e-mail alert

Member reminded of importance of preparedness

Member Leanne ******** sent me this email:

I, too, live in the Woodbridge area where the mother and son were killed [PVC: Last week's update, item #9: http://tinyurl.com/a6vejg]. On December 29, 2008, my two sons (ages 14 and 8) and I were at home, our dog was out back in the yard, and we had just finished watching a movie together when the phone rang and, at almost the same time, my house alarm (set on chime because I was at home and safe right?) chimed three times and announced "back door," indicating that the back door had been opened!

Next, my dog came running upstairs. Either he has been keeping a secret about being able to open the doorknob on the back door while making us do it for him for the last two years or someone opened the door for him. He is a very smart dog, but somehow I think it must have been the latter. The problem is, although I have been a gun owner and member of VCDL for a few years now, I obviously do not listen well when Phil says, " ...the safest place for your gun is on your body away from home and at home..."

Yes, you guessed it. My gun was in my concealed carry purse near the front door where I drop it when I come home! So there I was, home with my two boys, and the possibility that someone was entering my house, and I didn't have my gun handy. It isn't that big of a house, so luckily I was near the phone and able to call 911. They sent out the police, who arrived as quickly as they could but not nearly quick enough had someone gotten in and turned my gun on us. Lesson learned!

So let's say it together, Phil: "KEEP YOUR GUN ON YOUR BODY AT ALL TIMES, EVEN AT HOME. THAT WAY YOU CAN USE IT TO PROTECT YOURSELF!"

By the way, no one was found, so either me yelling "DIAL 911" scared them away or the alarm system beeping, or both, but the thought that not all criminals scare that easily and that next time it may not work that way is scary for me. I am now a convert and will heed your advice from here on out!

_Odin_
01-06-2009, 3:23 PM
Holy cow!

That's intense... and very sad :(

BitterVoter
01-06-2009, 3:26 PM
And people think I am crazy when I do!

I have been to parties with it and they say..."It is a party...its not appropriate" When I mention how often parties in the LA area are shot up they then use the alcohol and guns argument.

I don't see what the big deal is, my gun doesn't drink!

I might also add...it is possible the door was slightly open (catch was not fully engaged) and the dog pushed it open. . . Possible....thats all I am saying.

kenjimatic
01-06-2009, 3:28 PM
guess this is one of those "eye opener" incidents.. good thing it wasn't anything or the person got scared and left...

Liberty1
01-06-2009, 3:49 PM
I've had two occasions last year to be thankful I carry at home. One was when a dog charged into the yard when the kids were playing and the other was in relation to an intruder. Please excuse me if I don't go into the details.

Here is looking forward to having "O" occasions this year but you never know.

grammaton76
01-06-2009, 3:53 PM
Notice, she only had ONE gun. There should be one within reach at every "station" she normally has in the house, period.

I don't keep a gun on me at home, but I don't sit or stand anywhere in my house (regularly) where there isn't a gun available within a few seconds. Empty chamber, loaded mag, safety off.

BossHog
01-06-2009, 4:04 PM
I don't keep a gun on me at home, but I don't sit or stand anywhere in my house (regularly) where there isn't a gun available within a few seconds. Empty chamber, loaded mag, safety off.

Ditto.

Ironchef
01-06-2009, 4:20 PM
I just moved to a new house finally, and it's 3x as big as our crappy little condo was. Since we only have one handgun, I've set up some edged weapon stations (and a bat) throughout the house in decent concealed locations. My pride and joy is a smartly placed rambo knife that lets you simply slide your hand behind a piano and pull it out ready to roll..very "dirk"ish if i say so myself.

Otherwise, the handgun comes out in the evenings when I'm home and follows me around wherever I sit..sadly my wife doesn't have the same behavior throughout the day when there's way more vulnerability. She's the kind that needs "the incident" to happen first to scare her into vigilance.

Glock22Fan
01-06-2009, 5:14 PM
As I've said before, I wear mine wherever and whenever legal. This means at home too. There's too many home invasions to risk not wearing it. I wear it when we have family here too; most of them would have a fit, but what they don't notice won't hurt them.

bwiese
01-06-2009, 5:18 PM
Just got a stainless derringer for my 'bathrobe gun'.

Bruce
01-06-2009, 6:02 PM

Bill! Didn't you see "L.A. Confidential"? You need a Colt 1903/08 Pocket Automatic for bathrobe carry. ;)

capo
01-06-2009, 6:07 PM
Well, I can't say I would ever carry at home, however, if I am in my bedroom I have direct access to two firearms inside of 1 second from any point in the room...and if I am in my home office.........well.........god help whoever comes in my house. Downstairs I have one in the living room, and if I am in the kitchen...well, I have a chef's knife set and they'll all go flying, hahaha

BroncoBob
01-06-2009, 6:20 PM
I have my 9mm in my night stand drawer and a 12 gauge standing in the corner of the master bedroom. 90% of the time while at home where all upstairs. One night several months ago my wife woke me up in the middle of the night and said she heard a noise downstairs. At the time I only had my 9mm up stairs. I quickly grabbed it and stood at the top of the stairs listening for what seemed a life time. I then went down and checked all rooms, doors and windows. Came to the conclusion that it was the ice maker....... Anyway the 12 gauge came out of the safe that morning, just in case. We have an 30 acre orchard next to our house that people will walk through, so I don't take chances. We also have a bad habit of not setting our alarm when we're home.

383green
01-06-2009, 6:24 PM

Please do not post pictures. Really. :eek: :rofl2:

A friend of mine once suggested concealing guns between the wall studs all over the house, so that in an emergency you can merely punch through the drywall and grab a gun! :D

fresnohunter
01-06-2009, 6:27 PM
I don'talways carry at home but I usually have some wood hanging around in case a situation presents itself.

BitterVoter
01-06-2009, 6:35 PM
Please do not post pictures. Really. :eek: :rofl2:

A friend of mine once suggested concealing guns between the wall studs all over the house, so that in an emergency you can merely punch through the drywall and grab a gun! :D

Yeah.....

http://claytonscott.info/photoalbum/albums/userpics/10001/FistThroughWall.jpg

Slap it to a gypsum!

Have you ever punched drywall? It hurts!!!

inmyownsummerami
01-06-2009, 7:04 PM
Yeah.....

Slap it to a gypsum!

Especially if you hit close to a stud.

grammaton76
01-06-2009, 7:25 PM
Yeah.....

Slap it to a gypsum!

Punched through drywall, insulation, and 2x4s in a church demolition project. I made a point of seeing exactly how difficult it was to go through a wall with bare hands. Of course, at the time I was also taking karate and it was really fun training.

If you'd marked the spot (use a picture frame or something) and pre-scored the drywall so that it would be easier to punch through (then paint over it to remove the marks), it'd be pretty easy to do this actually.

Just hope that you don't ever end up with a nest of black widow spiders on the other side of that wall if you ever decide to punch through it. :)

Also, make sure you have a way to get through that DOESN'T involve punching through the wall for regular gun maintenance.

ayayaybangbang
01-06-2009, 7:29 PM
delete

gsusd
01-06-2009, 7:39 PM
With all due respect, with all the guns that you've got, what would you do if you lived in "bad" neighborhood, that a stranger could get into your backyard doing nature's call?

This is what I've heard from somebody who used to live in San Jose...(in one of those "bad" areas)

You can't shoot him
-behind the back while he's peeing
-to stop a threat since while the intruder is not making a threat while peeing
-since it would not be worth of all the hassle
-it might cost you dearly to hire a lawyer before a court of law
-because of the risk that you might lose your rights to own a gun ever again

Solution: call the Police.

DDT
01-06-2009, 7:45 PM
huh? the solution is to turn on the flood lights and if that doesn't do the trick give him a blast of the air horn. It's not like you're shoot someone for taking a leak on your yard.

BitterVoter
01-06-2009, 7:49 PM
I thought you are not allowed to carry where alcohol is served.
Or is it because a party is not an establishment that sells alcohol?
Someone please enlighten. :rolleyes:

This is California, there is NO LAW that says I can't drink where alcohol is served, consumed, sold or otherwise...as far as I have been told, and not in the firearms restrictions.

WokMaster1
01-06-2009, 7:52 PM
With all due respect, with all the guns that you've got, what would you do if you lived in "bad" neighborhood, that a stranger could get into your backyard doing nature's call?

This is what I've heard from somebody who used to live in San Jose...(in one of those "bad" areas)

You can't shoot him

Call the cops, telling them there is a stranger in your backyard exposing himself & you're afraid he's coming after you.

Seesm
01-06-2009, 7:56 PM
Yeah 911? There is a person in my backyard and he has a tan "Gun" in his hand.... Just kidding.

383green
01-06-2009, 8:31 PM
Yeah 911? There is a person in my backyard and he has a tan "Gun" in his hand.... Just kidding.

If the muzzle is red, then it's just a toy. :whistling:

SimpleCountryActuary
01-06-2009, 8:40 PM
So ... the dog really did open the door???? :confused:

Seesm
01-10-2009, 2:15 AM
tan gun I meant a weiner... :P

BadFish
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I either carry on me when I am home, or I have it next to me on the couch or where ever I am. When I garden in the backyard I have it holstered on my side. I even take it out with me when I am in the Spa in the back yard. I have a place that I always sit in the spa and have a place next to me that I place it , under a towel so not to frighten all my guests. When asked why I have it I explain that as long as they are at my home, they are my responsibility to protect from harm.

johnnv
01-10-2009, 1:10 PM
For many years I worked weekends at a gun store in RC and heard many stories from customers. One in particular was a story from a man who came in to buy 12ga. shotgun shells. His wife was one of those who were frightened at the thought of owning a gun and would never allow one in their home. She finally gave in and “allowed” him buy a shotgun for the house only if he didn’t buy any shells. The night before he came in to buy the shells he told me he heard a noise that woke them both up. He picked up the empty shotgun and turned on the bedroom lights to see a large man looking at him from the hallway. His wife screamed and he pointed the empty shotgun at the intruder telling him to leave the house. The intruder didn’t say anything and begin to walk toward him. When the intruder got close enough he used the shotgun as a club and hit this guy hard enough to knock him out. Before the police arrived his wife told him to go buy ammo and keep the gun loaded in their bedroom from now on. Learn the hard way.

cmaynes
01-10-2009, 4:37 PM
Notice, she only had ONE gun. There should be one within reach at every "station" she normally has in the house, period.

remember- she had two kids... so they would have needed to be secured. I think the idea of having the weapon on you makes the most sense if you are dealing with a threat potential like that.

Decoligny
01-10-2009, 6:12 PM
This is California, there is NO LAW that says I can't drink where alcohol is served, consumed, sold or otherwise...as far as I have been told, and not in the firearms restrictions.

+1 And even though it might say on the LTC application instructions that you can't, for that to carry any legal weight the restriction has to be printed on you license.

Meplat
01-10-2009, 7:53 PM
For CCW it depends on the issuing agency. My agency allows carry in bars but not "under the influence". But, booze and guns don't mix well.:eek:

I thought you are not allowed to carry where alcohol is served.
Or is it because a party is not an establishment that sells alcohol?
Someone please enlighten. :rolleyes:

Meplat
01-10-2009, 8:00 PM
I must have missed something. Why would you wan't to shoot him? Just tell him to go piss in his own damn yard! And why bother the cops with it?:rolleyes:

You can't shoot him

BadFish
01-10-2009, 9:37 PM
remember- she had two kids... so they would have needed to be secured. I think the idea of having the weapon on you makes the most sense if you are dealing with a threat potential like that.

You know what, I hear that all the time and I dont agree. When I was 10 years old my father who was a cop brought me into his room and showed my his service revolver. He then taught me to unload it first, and explained to me that if I ever found one what to do. I grew up knowing where a hand gun was all my life and nothing bad happened. I did the same when my son was young, he is 18 now. I never had to protect the gun from him, in fact several years ago when I was out of the state on business and the wife thought she hear someone in the back yard, my boy took my hand gun and protected his mother while she called the cops. If we act like guns are some sort of voodoo then thats what they will think of them. But you teach them to respect a firearm and they will. I would trust my son at 10 with a firearm more then I do most adults I know. Teach gun safety and respect, don't teach fear.

grammaton76
01-10-2009, 10:50 PM
But you teach them to respect a firearm and they will. I would trust my son at 10 with a firearm more then I do most adults I know. Teach gun safety and respect, don't teach fear.

Amen.