PDA

View Full Version : Strange information.

Kid Stanislaus
01-06-2009, 2:40 PM
The Tuolomne County Sheriff's office tells me "....each county does not necessarily regard another county's permit as valid." I thought California's preemption law made it mandatory that all jurisdictions recognize the validity of a CCW permit issued anywhere within the state. Did I miss something?

leelaw
01-06-2009, 2:45 PM
A CCW permit is valid statewide unless it has such specific restrictions appended to it.

Liberty1
01-06-2009, 2:46 PM
The Tuolomne County Sheriff's office tells me "....each county does not necessarily regard another county's permit as valid." I thought California's preemption law made it mandatory that all jurisdictions recognize the validity of a CCW permit issued anywhere within the state. Did I miss something?

BS! What would they charge you with? A state 12050 PC LTC is an exemption to state penal code. If they can verify the LTC in CLETS, they would be asking to get sued if an arrest was made.

Kid Stanislaus
01-06-2009, 3:02 PM
CLETS?

CSDGuy
01-06-2009, 3:06 PM
California Law Enforcement Telecommunication System AKA CLETS. What you're hearing about is that some counties have a reputation for hassling CCW holders who aren't from that county. I would imagine that one of those counties is both a City and a County... and has a very famous bridge going to it.

Librarian
01-06-2009, 3:07 PM
CLETS?

California Law Enforcement Telecommunication System

Shades of San Francisco!

Pre-emption sure looks like it covers this claim: Government Code
53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole
field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially
manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal
Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local
regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially
manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in
Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

CCW is formally a "license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person".

Kid Stanislaus
01-06-2009, 3:16 PM
.....some counties have a reputation for hassling CCW holders who aren't from that county. I would imagine that one of those counties is both a City and a County... and has a very famous bridge going to it.

Las Angelas county Sheriff's Dept. will do the same thing. A family member was jailed over a weekend for carrying a gun with a valid CCW from another county.

Hillbilly Rebel
01-06-2009, 4:06 PM
The only way they can make it illegal to CCW is to create municipal codes that prevent CCW. Many cities and counties have these already. Some are smart enough to give exemptions for CCWs, while others are not. They cannot outlaw the CCWs in the entire county, they would have to do it by individual types of places in the county. Such as parks, beaches, airports, etc.

As an example, Orange County Muni Code states that you cannot have any firearms at John Wayne Airport, except when traveling and it is locked in a box. you cannot CCW, nor can you keep that firearm locked in your car when you are picking up or dropping off passengers. Effectively, they have made CCW illegal anywhere at the airport, even outside of the terminal in the parking lot.

That person mentioned above probably arrested in LA County for being somewhere he shouldn't have been per muni code while CCW. Or was arrested for something else. Try to find out what the actual penal/muni code was that he was charged with and that will be your answer.

bwiese
01-06-2009, 4:19 PM
Las Angelas county Sheriff's Dept. will do the same thing. A family member was jailed over a weekend for carrying a gun with a valid CCW from another county.

Please PM me w/details privately.
Was the pop just because of CCW, or were allegations of brandishing made?
Was there any other 'color'?

Certain people would like to know.

Too much of this crap is happening.

CA_Libertarian
01-06-2009, 11:59 PM
The only way they can make it illegal to CCW is to create municipal codes that prevent CCW. Many cities and counties have these already. Some are smart enough to give exemptions for CCWs, while others are not. They cannot outlaw the CCWs in the entire county, they would have to do it by individual types of places in the county. Such as parks, beaches, airports, etc.

Fortunately, this is not the case. The legislature occupies the entire field of regulating concealment of firearms. If I understand correctly, the municipalities are granted domain only over property under their control - not any public place.

Many cities have the muni codes anyhow, but they are not enforceable. Any city enforcing such a code in a place otherwise open to the public would be inviting a big juicy lawsuit. SF has been beaten down once on this note already, and is about to get their *** handed to them again on the public housing issue.

Now that the budgets are getting tight, we can hope to see less interest on the part of the cities to spend our money on stupid stuff like this. Of course, they may just steal more of our money to pay for it...

Captain Evilstomper
01-07-2009, 12:25 AM

i hope he's going to sue the ever-living S*(& out of whoever arrested him. that sounds like a Calguns case if i ever heard.
legally issued CCW and jailed for abiding the law, if that's all there is to the case that is...