PDA

View Full Version : How did the M1A not get banned?

pfl101
01-05-2009, 3:19 PM
And more importantly, will Obama try for it in the expected AWB barrage?

It's got a much more powerful cartridge, better range and aim, and can accept detachable magazines of 30+ rounds. You can add suppressors, grips--all the stuff these guys hate.

I've got several of them and think they're great guns.

Regardless, I'm impressed that they avoided being banned in 1989, 1994 and 2000. Anyone know if they were being considered for AW status?

Matt C
01-05-2009, 3:20 PM
Mainly because so many people use them for shooting matches. And they are not EBRs.

sorensen440
01-05-2009, 3:22 PM
LOL I opened this thinking you were complaining about a member who did not get banned

1lostinspace
01-05-2009, 3:23 PM
Because they don't kill, only if you have one with a pistol grip stock, then it's a deadly assault weapon until then it's just another rifle:thumbsup:

bohoki
01-05-2009, 3:37 PM
they did get banned a little in the feature ban

the ones in california are modified for sale in california

i just wish they made the brake with a bayo lug

cause i got the bayonet and it wants a home

Mirage
01-05-2009, 3:40 PM
It looks more like a conventional rifle. No scary carry handles or pistol grips. It was usually configured with a birch or walnut stock and wasn't painted black in most configurations.

pfl101
01-05-2009, 3:41 PM
"It looks more like a conventional rifle. No scary carry handles or pistol grips."

That's what I thought.

Lame but predictable.

M1A Rifleman
01-05-2009, 3:59 PM
Not sure what you mean, the rifle in standard configuration was banned in California and with the Federal AW ban before it expired. The configuration was changed in that the bayo lug was removed to meet the requirements of the federal ban and the flash suppressor was modified to meet the requirements of California's ban. In California, the original M1A with the true GI flash suppressor is still banned, unless you registered the rifle as an AW.

Dr Rockso
01-05-2009, 4:02 PM
This one reminds me of the rifle that my grandfather owned and taught me to hunt ducks with in the finest sportsman traditions of this nation.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/m14.jpghttp://obamarama.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/john-kerry-hunting-4.jpg

The NRA specifically developed automatic assault weapons like this one to defeat police body armor, shoot down aircraft, and detonate puppies from long range. This automatic rifle is a scourge on our cities, and belongs in the hands of soldiers on foreign battlefields rather than killing millions of innocent children every year.
http://titanarmament.com/AR-15/ar-15postbanbig.jpg

pnkssbtz
01-05-2009, 4:13 PM

It's got a much more powerful cartridge, better range and aim, and can accept detachable magazines of 30+ rounds. You can add suppressors, grips--all the stuff these guys hate.

Regardless, I'm impressed that they avoided being banned in 1989, 1994 and 2000. Anyone know if they were being considered for AW status?

Because they have wood furniture.

Wood = Not Scary

Black Plastic = Poop in Pants

chickenfried
01-05-2009, 4:18 PM
Because only things that are long and black are scary.

CapS
01-05-2009, 4:18 PM
The NRA specifically developed automatic assault weapons... to detonate puppies from long range.

I just knew it.

/Cap

vf111
01-05-2009, 4:20 PM
i just wish they made the brake with a bayo lug

cause i got the bayonet and it wants a home

LRB makes a dummy flash-hider that has a bayonet lug:

http://www.lrbarms.com/parts.html

bwiese
01-05-2009, 4:27 PM
Who knows what any proposed law might have?

The M1A was protected in CA (along with Mini14) because black rifle folks were sold down the river by the old 30 cal guys and hunters.

-Bill

Under the old expired Fed ban the M1A could indeed have a FH but then it couldn't have a pistol-gripped stock - or vice versa.

nooner
01-05-2009, 4:28 PM

Wood = Not Scary

QFTMFT. OMG you guys are hilarious!

Davidoff
01-05-2009, 5:02 PM
No, No, No, you guys don't get it. It doesn't have a pistol grip, which means you can't spray from the hip without reloading. Only rifles that have pistol grips can lay down accurate, deadly fire without aiming or reloading.

From the Brady website: Sporting rifles and assault weapons are two distinct classes of firearms. While semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend upon the accuracy of a precisely aimed projectile, semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to maximize lethal effects through a rapid rate of fire. Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip, and because of their design, a shooter can maintain control of the weapon even while firing many rounds in rapid succession.

Although I must admit that their terminology has improved recently. They actually have a paragraph about the difference between FA and SA:

Q: What is the difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon?

A: An automatic weapon (machine gun) will continue to fire as long as the trigger is depressed (or until the ammunition magazine is emptied). A semi-automatic weapon will fire one round and instantly load the next round with each pull of the trigger. Semi-automatic firearms fire as rapidly as you can twitch your finger. This means that a semi-automatic fires a little more slowly than an automatic, but not much more slowly. When San Jose, California police test-fired an UZI, a 30-round magazine was emptied in slightly less than two seconds on full automatic while the same magazine was emptied in just five seconds on semi-automatic.

Ownership of machine guns has been tightly controlled since passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934, and their manufacture for the civilian market was halted in 1986. However, semi-automatic versions of those same guns were still being produced until the federal assault weapons ban was enacted.

Bullcrap

M1A Rifleman
01-05-2009, 8:17 PM
[QUOTE=bwiese;1857143]The M1A was protected in CA (along with Mini14) because black rifle folks were sold down the river by the old 30 cal guys and hunters.
QUOTE]

?? Not sure I agree with that one. The BM59 and other M1's w/detachable mags including Beretta's M1 were not protected even though they are identical to M1A's and Garands.

The anti's got as much of a law/ban as they could at the time. Feinstein wanted to "ban all of them", but they did not have the backing for an all out all semiauto weapon ban. They may get their way this time.

CA_Libertarian
01-05-2009, 8:21 PM

Congratulations. You just wrote my new sig line.

Thanks for a great laugh.

CavTrooper
01-05-2009, 8:48 PM
Who knows what any proposed law might have?

The M1A was protected in CA (along with Mini14) because black rifle folks were sold down the river by the old 30 cal guys and hunters.

-Bill

Still on the hunter bashing, eh?

Its my understanding it was people like Joaquin Jackson and the NRA that "negotiated" us into the AWB in California. :eek:

timmyb21
01-05-2009, 9:19 PM

[Carl Carlson] Shhhhhhhutup! [Carl Carlson]

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r309/Miss_Cool/Others/The%20Simpsons/Carl_Carlson.png

shawnyteee
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Wood = Not Scary

Amen. You'll be surprise the color psychology of guns. Make a Barret 50cal with wood stock, grip, and hand guards, and walk through an ATF building, no one will harrass you ;)

bwiese
01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Still on the hunter bashing, eh?

Some fraction of hunters definitely offered their support of Roberti Roos.

They weren't hunters like you. Think trust fund babies with 12GA, the "why do you need a black rifle" crowd.

Seesm
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Black BAD....

Wood GOOD....

Sooo SOOO true...

leelaw
01-06-2009, 1:28 AM

Wood = Not Scary

Until they run out of black guns to ban, then those "deer rifles" will turn into "long range, high-powered sniper rifles"

CalNRA
01-06-2009, 1:33 AM
Until they run out of black guns to ban, then those "deer rifles" will turn into "long range, high-powered sniper rifles"

we need to ban those dang Sig pistols with bayonnets first, I saw some pink bunnies being impaled by one.

It's just common sense.

leelaw
01-06-2009, 1:59 AM
we need to ban those dang Sig pistols with bayonnets first, I saw some pink bunnies being impaled by one.

It's just common sense.

Now, now. Sigs have a higher pricetag because they include the fees for sticking a bayonet on it..

Those darned CZs, however... :shock:

CalNRA
01-06-2009, 2:56 AM
Now, now. Sigs have a higher pricetag because they include the fees for sticking a bayonet on it..

Those darned CZs, however... :shock:

oops, I meant a CZ.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/calnra/HelenLovejoy.jpg

F-2_Challenger
01-06-2009, 6:08 AM
Because politics and common sense don't go hand in hand.

aileron
01-06-2009, 6:10 AM
[Carl Carlson] Shhhhhhhutup! [Carl Carlson]

Ditto... Hush....

Charliegone
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
No, No, No, you guys don't get it. It doesn't have a pistol grip, which means you can't spray from the hip without reloading. Only rifles that have pistol grips can lay down accurate, deadly fire without aiming or reloading.

From the Brady website:

Although I must admit that their terminology has improved recently. They actually have a paragraph about the difference between FA and SA:

Bullcrap

You have got to be s****** me. Did they actually say that? Actually more slowly?:rolleyes: Must stink real bad there.

7x57
01-06-2009, 3:40 PM
Some fraction of hunters definitely offered their support of Roberti Roos.

Huh. Well, some of us get wiser as we get older.

They weren't hunters like you. Think trust fund babies with 12GA, the "why do you need a black rifle" crowd.

On the unity-positive side, I can report that the sportsmen's club that I joined recently seems to have plenty of black rifles around. There were AR's and an H&K in 7.62 that I remember--owned by the same guy that had the CAS guns. :-) No AKs though.

7x57

Warhawk014
01-06-2009, 4:20 PM
hehehe this thread delivers the lolz