PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Sheriff? What is the latest?

GMONEY
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
The latest I heard was she ignored the BOS to not revoke permits and report law abiding citizens to CLETS.

DVSmith
01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I think this sums it up:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/gun-permits-hutchens-2260539-carona-county

Thursday, December 18, 2008
Supervisors lobby sheriff on concealed weapons
Hutchens says she disagrees with supervisors and will let voters decide her fate in 2010
BY NORBERTO SANTANA JR.
The Orange County Register
Comments 4| Recommend 0

Orange County supervisors this week abandoned their traditionally cautious approach and formally urged Sheriff Sandra Hutchens not to revoke any concealed gun permits.

Hutchens' response: "I think we're going to get to a point where we have to respectfully agree to disagree."

The fledgling sheriff triggered a firestorm earlier this year from gun activists when she announced that the sheriff's department would adopt a stricter approach toward handing out concealed weapons permits and would reevaluate the existing 1,100 licenses held across the county. Nearly 100 activists, including National Rifle Association attorneys, showed up last month at a county supervisors meeting, threatening to politically oppose Hutchens and any supervisors who backed her gun policies.

After that meeting, Hutchens announced a temporary halt on more than 400 potential gun permit revocations.

This week's action, coming at the end of an update on the issue, signaled a heightened sense of frustration amongst supervisors that a sheriff appointed to fill out the term of indicted former lawman Mike Carona has caused so much rancor among second amendment activists in a very Republican county.

"It's not going away," said Supervisor Chris Norby, referring to the board's interest in the issue and Hutchen's handling of it.

"What I've heard today makes me more concerned than ever," Norby said. "She hasn't addressed any of our concerns."

Federal officials accused Carona of handing out gun permits to wealthy campaign donors, a charge Carona denies.

Indeed, an Orange County Register review of gun permits revealed at least 95 donors with gun permits who gave Carona more than $68,000 between 1998 and 2002.

Carona made handing out concealed weapons permits a hallmark of his first campaign for office, highlighting the fact that former Sheriff Brad Gates held a more restrictive view of gun permits. Under state law, sheriff's are given wide discretion in handing out permits, which leads to wide disparities between urban and rural counties.

Large urban areas typically have a tight control over the permits where rural counties use a broader approach to defining "good cause" for gun permit owners.

After Hutchens learned of the concerns surrounding permit holders, she announced a new policy that was much more restrictive than the Carona approach. For example, under Carona, people who listed themselves as "avid shooters" were able to get the permits.

Hutchens announced that her policy would instead require residents to state specific threats that could not be handled without a gun permit. She also noted that time limits could be placed on permits and applicants could be psychologically tested.

That drew the ire of activists who argue that the county was on the right track in having a broad standard under Carona. They don't want to see the policy changed and seemed to find sympathetic ears in supervisors, especially Norby and Supervisor Pat Bates who have kept hammering on the issue.

After Bates noted that a revocation could show up on a resident's background check, Hutchens halted more than 400 letters that were aimed at revocations. She said she would await direction from the state Department of Justice before moving forward.

This week, Hutchens and county attorneys told supervisors that a revoked gun permit would be filed in a statewide database on firearms but not on criminal history databases.

Hutchens said the supervisors action this week underscored the need for her to clarify where her policy goes from here.

"I'll be prepared to discuss the issue in its entirety and have some resolution in January," she said in an interview this week.

Hutchens said she understands that her stance on gun permits has created political enemies from the gun activists. But she thinks they are a minority and that the broader community respects her approach.

"The mainstream is much more concerned about law and order issues," Hutchens said, "and having a sheriff's department that is fair and equitable to everybody."

Contact the writer: 714-796-2221 or nsantana@ocregister.com

Paladin
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Someone needs to point out to her and the OC Register that "Shall Issue" is the "mainstream" approach in our country: 37 out of 50 states are "Shall Issue" or better (VT Carry).

Someone also needs to tell the OC Register that the people complaining are not "gun activists," but rather "2nd Amendment civil rights activists." See how 2nd to last para reads if they were talking about the right of blacks to vote: Hutchens said she understands that her stance on [the right of blacks to vote] has created political enemies from the [civil rights] activists. But she thinks they are a minority and that the broader community respects her approach.

Well, if Hutchens doesn't want law-abiding citizens to carry concealed, perhaps OC would be a good place to kick-off some post-Nordyke Open Carry marches/protests/meet ups. ;)

yellowfin
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Ugh...do I have to say it again? Marches/protests are counterproductive for our PR. The association with other groups that march is not one we'd like to see tacked on to our cause. Whenever you see protest you automatically think lunatics and troublemakers.

Hmm...but then again in this state the people the politicians listen to usually are lunatics and troublemakers, so...

Paladin
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Ugh...do I have to say it again? Marches/protests are counterproductive for our PR. The association with other groups that march is not one we'd like to see tacked on to our cause. Whenever you see protest you automatically think lunatics and troublemakers.You can say it as often as you want, but the facts are that pro-Shall Issue OH people used LOC marches to force their legislature, kicking and screaming, to ultimately pass Shall Issue.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/796

This is not about positive or negative PR. This is not about winning over "hearts and minds." This is about telling the governing authority, in this case the sheriff, "We can either do this the easy way, or the hard way. The choice is up to you." If she wants her deputies wasting the department's time and money responding to a bunch of "man w/a gun" calls because she severely restricts CCWs, that choice is up to her.

Post-Nordyke, our pro-RKBA efforts will be mainly on the legal side, in the courts, not the political side (although w/Orange County, I'm sure they are organizing for the next sheriff's race). We must use everything we legally can to get our what we want. Sheriffs do. :mad:

ETA: Post-Nordyke we may be able to force "Shall Issue" thru Sacto. But, like in OH, it will be by forcing a favorable statutory change against the will of the legislature and even "the majority" of Californians. It will not be due to the majority of CA residents or politicians suddenly becoming pro-RKBA.

ZRX61
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Ugh...do I have to say it again? Marches/protests are counterproductive for our PR. The association with other groups that march is not one we'd like to see tacked on to our cause. Whenever you see protest you automatically think lunatics and troublemakers.

Hmm...but then again in this state the people the politicians listen to usually are lunatics and troublemakers, so...

Which leads me to wonder what would happen if *pro RKBA* people started to show up & support some of the more liberal protests/marches..:D
Does Hollywood have a *gays for guns* or a *lesbians for long guns* protest group? That would surely throw a wrench in the works among the Gloria Allreds & Rosie O's of the world.. LOL!

DDT
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Which leads me to wonder what would happen if *pro RKBA* people started to show up & support some of the more liberal protests/marches..:D
Does Hollywood have a *gays for guns* or a *lesbians for long guns* protest group? That would surely throw a wrench in the works among the Gloria Allreds & Rosie O's of the world.. LOL!

must resist temptation.........

DVSmith
01-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Are you thinking of something like this:
http://www.pinkpistols.org/

DDT
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I think I've found some great T-shirts to buy for my gay friends next year at Christmas.

Matt C
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
There is also an update/write up of the current situation HERE (http://calgunlaws.com/) on calgunlaws.com.

tango-52
01-05-2009, 1:56 PM
Check out the Ordinary California Citizens Concerned With Safety site:

http://www.occcws.com/

Latest updates on what is going on with CCWs and the fight in Orange County. And you don't have to register. :cool2:

Kid Stanislaus
01-05-2009, 7:01 PM
Whenever you see protest you automatically think lunatics and troublemakers.

What galaxy did you just fly in from?:rolleyes:

yellowfin
01-05-2009, 7:27 PM
What galaxy did you just fly in from?:rolleyes: One that isn't ruled by the people you usually see in the marches here, usually called the real/free world.