PDA

View Full Version : Will New Assault Weapons Ban Include Parts?

Cru Jones
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
There has been considerable converstation about this topic on other forums I have been to but when I searched here, I found very little information.

It's pretty well known that the incoming administration will introduce a new assault weapons ban, hence the panic buying frenzy. I have heard suggestions that the new ban will be broader and wider than the last one, possibly to include assault weapons parts.

My question is do you think a new AW ban could/would include parts? Barrels, magazines, parts kits? I was always under the impression that the lowers were the only things to be worried about right now but others suggest you should stock up on all AR parts.

Thoughts?

sorensen440
01-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately there is no way to know until a ban is introduced and passed

Mssr. Eleganté
01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.wesleyjsmith.com/blog/uploaded_images/carnac-756908.jpg

The new AWB will include a ban on rifles over 3 inches wide, and any pistol that's name starts with the letter K.

The Great Carnac has spoken!

radioburning
01-04-2009, 12:07 AM
It's pretty well known that the incoming administration will introduce a new assault weapons ban, hence the panic buying frenzy.

It's not well known that they will introduce a new AWB. It's possible they will try. Until then, who knows.

Captain Evilstomper
01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
speculation on such a topic is pointless, and likely to be full to-the-brim with FUD.

nicki
01-04-2009, 1:43 AM
Any push for new gun laws will be done in steps.

I could see them trying to copy the Cal AB23 AW ban, but I think that parts will be available for the short term future.

The items that will be banned first are hi cap mags, and the actual guns themselves.

If things go well at Nordyke and if we aggressively follow up across the board on a range of gun issues, we could possibly stall or even deter Fed gun legislation.

I don't see anything happening before Summer, but for what it is worth, many manufacturers have a 20 week backlog.

Nicki

artherd
01-04-2009, 3:44 AM
Yes. My parts. BUY MY PARTS RIGHT NOW!

CCWFacts
01-04-2009, 3:55 AM
There's no way of knowing what a bill says until we see the bill.

I believe very confidently that some bill will be introduced, just as it has been introduced every year since 2004. I believe it will not pass, just as it has not passed every year since 2004.

Whatever they introduce, it will have more "teeth" than the old ban, which had no practical effects (AR-15 sales continued uninterrupted). I think they would want to get rid of the 10-year sunset, and maybe have "no evil features if it has a detachable mag", like California's law. I think they realized that the last ban did practically nothing, and so they will want a ban that actually bans some guns, not just flash hiders.

But it won't pass.

sseric75
01-04-2009, 8:05 AM
Everything will be banned so send me everything you have to make sure you stay out of trouble.

fairfaxjim
01-04-2009, 9:26 AM
There has been considerable converstation about this topic on other forums I have been to but when I searched here, I found very little information.

It's pretty well known that the incoming administration will introduce a new assault weapons ban, hence the panic buying frenzy. I have heard suggestions that the new ban will be broader and wider than the last one, possibly to include assault weapons parts.

My question is do you think a new AW ban could/would include parts? Barrels, magazines, parts kits? I was always under the impression that the lowers were the only things to be worried about right now but others suggest you should stock up on all AR parts.

Thoughts?

What ban?
There are few parts left to stock up on - that ship sailed.
The genie is out of the bottle, they won't be able to get it back in.

They way the Obama group wants to hit the ground spending, we all got lots more to worry about than what if on the gun ban front.

M. Sage
01-04-2009, 11:41 AM

You found very little info because there is no info. The new Congress hasn't begun "working" yet, and the new Prez isn't in office, either.

It's going to be wait and see if one even gets passed. There will be bills introduced, but whether or not they even make it out of committee is questionable.

The only predictions I'd be willing to make are that if another federal AW ban gets through the Congress, it'll be based on CA's ban and the antis' experiences here; shoring up mistakes that allow us off-list firearms and the like. A ban that comprehensive would be a very tough sell, though.

Please tell the other forums to quit being scared of shadows...

CAL.BAR
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.wesleyjsmith.com/blog/uploaded_images/carnac-756908.jpg

The new AWB will include a ban on rifles over 3 inches wide, and any pistol that's name starts with the letter K.

The Great Carnac has spoken!

+1 to that. We are starting to talk like it's fait accompli (WTF)

Fjold
01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
The new administration will have much more important tings to work on, the economy, the promises that everyone will have a job and the guaranteed income for life for those who choose not to work, before they even have time to look at any major gunlaws.

frigginchi
01-04-2009, 1:05 PM
Hearing all this reminds me of...

http://jonathanemason.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/chicken_little.jpg

Codelphious
01-04-2009, 1:59 PM
The new administration will have much more important tings to work on, the economy, the promises that everyone will have a job and the guaranteed income for life for those who choose not to work, before they even have time to look at any major gunlaws.

Dude, keep telling yourself this. The fact of the matter is IT WILL come to pass. In all of mankind there has never been a civilization that has not disarmed the citizenary. Maybe it won't happen in Jan, or Feb, or even Nov... but IT WILL happen.

My advice is if you don't already own a scary black rifle, you best go out and buy one while you still can.

Just ask yourself this: Am I better off owning this rifle and still being able to purchase more, or am I better off not owning this rifle and NEVER being able to purchase one?

Harrison_Bergeron
01-04-2009, 2:18 PM
So how do the Chicken Littles feel that Heller will play into this new ban?

hoffmang
01-04-2009, 2:19 PM
The new assault weapons ban will only ban parts for people who post using the name "Cru Jones." :willy_nilly:

Sorry - couldn't resist.

-Gene

Cru Jones
01-04-2009, 3:50 PM
The new assault weapons ban will only ban parts for people who post using the name "Cru Jones." :willy_nilly:

Sorry - couldn't resist.

-Gene

Hahaha, I've only run across one other person on this board that even know what/who Cru Jones refers to.

Spyder
01-04-2009, 4:26 PM
Huh. Curiosity grows.

Fjold
01-04-2009, 4:46 PM
Dude, keep telling yourself this. The fact of the matter is IT WILL come to pass. In all of mankind there has never been a civilization that has not disarmed the citizenary. Maybe it won't happen in Jan, or Feb, or even Nov... but IT WILL happen.

My advice is if you don't already own a scary black rifle, you best go out and buy one while you still can.

Just ask yourself this: Am I better off owning this rifle and still being able to purchase more, or am I better off not owning this rifle and NEVER being able to purchase one?

Dude, I have a bunch of black rifles. I don't wait for everyone else to panic, I plan ahead.

hawk1
01-04-2009, 5:01 PM
:hide:

I hear they are going to include sporks in the upcoming ban. Not the white ones, but just the black evil looking ones....

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/469885/2/istockphoto_469885_spork.jpg

That's ok, I'll have plenty of 'pre-bans' stored ahead of time...:thumbsup:

Stormfeather
01-04-2009, 5:02 PM
Dude, I have a bunch of black rifles. I don't wait for everyone else to panic, I plan ahead.

Ditto!
+1
:thumbsup:

Solidmch
01-04-2009, 5:03 PM
:hide:

I hear they are going to include sporks in the upcoming ban. Not the white ones, but just the black evil looking ones....

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/469885/2/istockphoto_469885_spork.jpg

That's ok, I'll have plenty of 'pre-bans' stored ahead of time...:thumbsup:

This will happen in IN TWO WEEKS! ibtl

Codelphious
01-04-2009, 6:20 PM

I see your motivation now. You just want to convince everyone to stop buying so you can finish the other 20 OLLs you're hording. :thumbsup:

I'd prefer the panic cease too, but there's good reason to panic.

_Odin_
01-04-2009, 6:23 PM
There won't be another AWB.

Banning an entire class of firearms that are in popular and lawful use by Americans is unconstitutional pursuant to the Heller decision.

More detail:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1841583#post1841583

robairto
01-04-2009, 6:42 PM

Banning an entire class of firearms that are in popular and lawful use by Americans is unconstitutional pursuant to the Heller decision.

More detail:

AGREED, they weren't outlawed before I doubt they ever will be. The Democrats will loose all their gains if they go after gun owners again. Bill Clinton mentioned in his book that the AWB was a bad decision. It cost him the house and maybe his legacy because he became a target. Barrack may fee us for use which would be better than a ban which is what we need to work on in this state.

Codelphious
01-04-2009, 7:11 PM

More detail:

Don't be so naive.

It doesn't have to happen over night, like it did with the '94 AWB, and it doesn't have to be constitutional either ('94 certainly wasn't). If congress passes an AWB it WILL be signed into law by Obama, and it will remain in effect until it is struck down by SCOTUS -- which may take anywhere between 1 to infinity years.

hoffmang
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
It doesn't have to happen over night, like it did with the '94 AWB, and it doesn't have to be constitutional either ('94 certainly wasn't). If congress passes an AWB it WILL be signed into law by Obama, and it will remain in effect until it is struck down by SCOTUS -- which may take anywhere between 1 to infinity years.

I doubt it.

In 1994 binding Supreme Court precedent was US v. Miller... A Federal AWB would - assuming the worst district court judge draw we could get in DC - be in effect for 270 days or so now that we have Heller. It could take longer than that to get fully final after being overturned by the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, but it's unlikely to survive the District Court. Best case - a Federal AWB wouldn't even make it to effectiveness before being enjoined. In fact it might be litigated before it even gets passed... :43:

-Gene