PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer opportunities

CCWFacts
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
It looks like the incoming administration is very eager to promote a lot of volunteer work: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/03/BAGV151TIR.DTL&tsp=1

We have a lot of volunteer work we could do:

Teaching new shooters the fundamentals of safety and shooting
Teaching non-shooters about basic gun safety
Helping people with CCW applications
What else?

I wonder if there is a way that the CalGuns Foundation could somehow get access to the flood of funding that these volunteer groups are expecting? We have a lot to offer to help make our communities safer and healthier places to be. A lot of work needs to be done here in California.

wildhawker
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a sympathetic acquaintance who is a grant writer and executor; this persons' experience and participation in the non-profit/organized volunteering sector exceeds 20 years (managerial and directorships). Lets put this vast brain trust to work. As soon as we can develop a tangible mission [statement] and goal/benefit structure, the application process for funding and grants can be arranged ASAP.

yellowfin
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Perhaps educating of people in civil rights via assistance for education? I wonder what kind of scholarships can be given for pro RKBA activities. Certainly it promotes good citizenship and community involvement.

CCWFacts
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a sympathetic acquaintance who is a grant writer and executor; this persons' experience and participation in the non-profit/organized volunteering sector exceeds 20 years (managerial and directorships). Lets put this vast brain trust to work. As soon as we can develop a tangible mission [statement] and goal/benefit structure, the application process for funding and grants can be arranged ASAP.

This would be a great idea. We have an "army of Davids" going here who can research, find grant opportunities, and work on apps.

You know, this whole community volunteer effort grew out of Obama's connections with ACORN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_ Now), which itself grew out of the National Welfare Rights Organization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Welfare_Rights_Organization). The Welfare Rights Org was an org that existed to teach people how to get the best access to welfare, by knowing what they can get, which forms, etc. Guess what, that's what we can do with CCW. And certainly some of these grants will be going to legal assistance groups, who help people exercise their legal rights. Well, that's just what we do!

And certainly other grants will exist for community activities, community safety, training, etc. That's what we do!

Some other grants will go to "community outreach" efforts. That's also what we do!

We have to see what the process will look like, but if we can get the right grant writers to help us (like your friend) we can get some of this money.

nicki
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Actually public outreach would be a good idea.

The NRA refuse to be a victim program would be a good one.

Teaching people, especially firearms safety would be another one, especially in the urban areas. Anytime a child gets shot, it is bad for us.

Score one for Eddie Eagle.

Teaching people how to own a gun and stay out of jail.

Now, where we could have fun.

What we would need to do is develop a course so that we could educate people how to fill out their own forms, I'm thinking of things like victims of domestic violence.

Perhaps we need to teach people how to file a "Bivens" lawsuit for "Color of Law" violations by government agencies.

If we are going to run courses on how to fill out a CCW permit, we also need to run courses on how to file a PRA request, what to look for and how to file a lawsuit to get the required documents that have been denied.

If we do that well, we will have cases all through the state.

Just a thought.

Nicki

MT1
01-04-2009, 1:00 AM
And you can label yourselves "Community Organizers" :thumbsup:

thegratenate
01-04-2009, 6:27 AM
My thoughts were that this would be a very good source of funds for training and education. The trick would be to stay off the radar, with a name and mission statement that doesn't ruffle feathers. There could be millions of dollars for education if we can get the grants written and not get labeled as 2A activists, we could probably still get a quite a bit of money with the 2A activist label, but it would be a lot easier and stress free if the administration thought that we are on their side.

Just a thought.

CCWFacts
01-04-2009, 7:15 AM
The key is some of these grants could be used to pay salaries for staff. Wouldn't it be great to get full-time salaries for some of the CalGuns Foundation staffers? It might be possible to do that.

The Other Side has that. They have people who get various grants and work full time as "violence prevention coordinators". Well, ok, I'm also a violence prevention coordinator! Just like them, I give people the tools and knowledge they need to prevent violence in their communities and build safer, healthier communities and help at-risk youth make better decisions.

dustoff31
01-04-2009, 8:35 AM
The idea of a grant to do these sorts of things is fun to think about.

But does anyone honestly believe that the incoming administration and congress would provide even one single dime for PRO gun/shooting/RKBA purposes?

CCWFacts
01-04-2009, 8:44 AM
But does anyone honestly believe that the incoming administration and congress would provide even one single dime for PRO gun/shooting/RKBA purposes?

If the grant app is submitted in the correct format and is well-written and done by someone who knows what he's doing, YES.

Telperion
01-04-2009, 9:17 AM
A big thing for volunteer work would be getting kids into shooting sports. The county parks & rec department holds various types of activities camps for several sports and outdoor activities -- but no shooting, even though there's a rifle range on one of the county parks. If I suggested such a thing to them, they'd probably laugh or call the police, not sure. To win rights back in the long term, the shooting culture needs to grow at a faster rate than can be achieved by "take someone to the range for a day".

bwiese
01-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I see some good ideas here but others that we may want to bypass.

Salaries for CGF staff is probably one to defer: that's money that can go to legal defenses (or offenses).

The CGF board has the luxury of some bits of time flexibility to do its work.

Having volunteers staff some booths, perhaps in conjunction with Join The NRA (or renewals) could be helpful in future.

showerbabies
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Anything new?