PDA

View Full Version : Project Safe Neighborhood? WTF?

Zin_dawg
01-03-2009, 7:53 PM
Folks:

Sorry about being a little hot under the collar: We're watching House on the CW, and on comes a Public Service Announcement: "... Mothers lose babies all the time to gun crimes. Don't commit gun crimes". My wife is way more liberal than I, and _she_ finds this offensive. So, one google search later, I'm at www.psn.gov (gov???).

Who are these guys, why are they doing pointless PSAs, (like, how many gang bangers are watching House on cable on Saturday night), and why am I paying for it?

Hmm, US DOJ, including BATFE, couple of university's Criminal Justice schools, couple of "Chiefs of Police".

But still, why PSAs?

=M

bornInSD
01-03-2009, 8:59 PM
wow that is ridiculous another "will somebody please think of the children" situation

B.D.Dubloon
01-03-2009, 9:13 PM
Well, I guess I am with them in urging people not to commit gun crimes. Probably 2 maybe 3 million babies lost to "gun crime" every year. PSA's have probably saved the lives of nigh on a billion babies so far! Ha. Money wasting sumbiches.

BDD

yellowfin
01-03-2009, 9:33 PM
Another Brady/Joyce alter ego. They fund university CJ, journalism, social science, law, and even medical schools so they can get them to put out studies and articles pushing their agenda. Then when they need some names to tack on to a roll sheet to make another organization shell front out of thin air, they have them. They then call their "studies" which are little more than propaganda with fancy worded sophistry and creative plays on numbers when presented as policy a "project."

It's one of the big reasons we need to push campus carry, to besiege and eventually destroy the anti gun foothold in the academic environment.

thegratenate
01-03-2009, 9:34 PM
I agree with the words, I to am against "gun crimes", but I have this feeling that those behind the PSAs consider simply owning a gun to be a "gun crime". Or at least something that they wish could be considered a crime so that they could one day rid us of it.

It never ceases to amaze me that left wing morons believe they can stop crime by appealing to the law abiding. The only way to stop crime is to stop it from paying.

Window_Seat
01-03-2009, 9:53 PM
I watched MTV/VH1 & some of the "others", and did not see one similar commercial while watching "in da hood" or whatever that show is called, (as well as the others of course). The radio & TV forums that target the more "educated" are the places where you will see this kind of propaganda. It's an agenda that is intended to take guns away from LACs & put them in the hands of criminals so that the loony left news media will have more stories.

Erik; sees through the BS & lies.

csmintel
01-03-2009, 10:00 PM
The message should be" Please keep your family safe by lawfully arming yourself against criminals."

nick
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that left wing morons believe they can stop crime by appealing to the law abiding. The only way to stop crime is to stop it from paying.

Or to make it too dangerous. Do I hear concealed and loaded carry?

nick
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I watched MTV/VH1 & some of the "others", and did not see one similar commercial while watching "in da hood" or whatever that show is called, (as well as the others of course). The radio & TV forums that target the more "educated" are the places where you will see this kind of propaganda. It's an agenda that is intended to take guns away from LACs & put them in the hands of criminals so that the loony left news media will have more stories.

Erik; sees through the BS & lies.

Of course, they go after the voters, not the criminals. Even they can't be that dumb to believe that the criminals would stop committing crimes if they're told to do so in an annoying TV commercial. Hmm, alright, maybe I went too far with that assumption, but you get the point :)

radioburning
01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Yup, just saw it! Can't say I'm happy about it. They make it look like look like a national epidemic. More kids die every year from falling down and hitting their heads than from guns. Why don't they show hearses passing next to trees and jungle gyms? What about the exponentially higher number of kids who die from bad reactions to prescription medicine? Why don't they show hearses in front of the hospital? No wonder there's so many people who think nobody should own guns.

Technical Ted
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Project Safe Neighborhoods was started in 2001 by the US Department of Justice, a department whose head is US Attorney General appointed by the President of The United States.
http://www.psn.gov/funding/index.html
The Bush Administration has devoted approximately $2 billion to PSN since its inception in 2001. Funds are used to employ new federal and state prosecutors, support investigations, provide training opportunities, distribute gun lock safety kits, deter juvenile gun crime and gang involvement, support research and evaluation efforts, develop and promote community outreach efforts, and support other gun and gang violence reduction strategies. PSN is the nation's largest and most visible effort to combat violent crime and criminal gang activity at the community level. This targeted initiative has become one of the administration's most significant anti-crime initiatives and is achieving impressive results.

yellowfin
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
. The only way to stop crime is to stop it from paying.Similarly the only way to stop the gun control people is to make it cease to pay for them as well.

nick
01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Project Safe Neighborhoods was started in 2001 by the US Department of Justice, a department whose head is US Attorney General appointed by the President of The United States.
http://www.psn.gov/funding/index.html

Well, that's just sad. I love seeing my money wasted, but then, with the trillions of dollars wasted lately, this is small change, puny $2 billion. Of course, it's wasted on something this dangerous, and that's a problem.

nick
01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I can't wait for the exciting PSAs coming under the BHO administration.:rolleyes:

"In Chicago, we virtually eliminated gun violence with reasonable gun control laws. Imagine what reasonable gun control laws could do in your neighborhood. Don't be afraid to hope! Change is on the way!"

Seesm
01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Terrible

MT1
01-04-2009, 1:04 AM
"In Chicago, we virtually eliminated gun violence with reasonable gun control laws. Imagine what reasonable gun control laws could do in your neighborhood. Don't be afraid to hope! Change is on the way!"

I want to laugh, but it's scary because it's true :(

Technical Ted
01-04-2009, 1:13 AM
Well, that's just sad. I love seeing my money wasted, but then, with the trillions of dollars wasted lately, this is small change, puny $2 billion. Of course, it's wasted on something this dangerous, and that's a problem.
Project Safe Neighborhoods, under AG Alberto Gonzales, had a program to audit FFLs to find the ones that were selling guns out the backdoor. Unfortunately, if you were a sloppy FFL that didn't always dot your i's and cross your t's in your logs but were otherwise honest, your license would get pulled.

thegratenate
01-04-2009, 6:14 AM
Or to make it too dangerous. Do I hear concealed and loaded carry?

Survival is profit, death is loss, just like any other business, success and failure are easy to measure.

If the risk of loss(death) outweighs the potential profits then there would be less criminal enterprises every day. Some would go out of business the hard way, and some would simply choose another line of work.

DDT
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I wonder if the NRA can get some PSAs on the air after the bad-guys pass the "Fairness Doctrine." Gotta show both sides of the story.

CA_Libertarian
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
The message should be" Please keep your family safe by lawfully arming yourself against criminals."

Interestingly, I just did some research on this subject. Turns out people under age fifteen are 13.6 times more likely to die from homicide than accidental shootings.

Citations and more stats here (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/20148.html).

Keep and bear arms. Do it for the children.

CalNRA
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I wonder if the NRA can get some PSAs on the air after the bad-guys pass the "Fairness Doctrine." Gotta show both sides of the story.

don't be such a wingnut. The American people doesn't need to hear such baseless rants from people like you.;)

DDT
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
don't be such a wingnut. The American people doesn't need to hear such baseless rants from people like you.;)

I wish I had that kind of voice. I hear it pays pretty well.