PDA

View Full Version : PTP/FTF transfers

doc trock
01-03-2009, 7:55 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this:

Let's say a friend and me legally transfer ownership of a handgun, using a reputable dealer who does such things for a small fee.

After the 10 day waiting period, Must I pick up the gun in person, or can it be shipped?

Can it be shipped to another FFL?

I'm trying to avoid repeating a long drive...

69Mach1
01-03-2009, 7:58 PM
If it goes to another FFL, that's another DROS, fees, and 10 day wait. It also has to be on the safe list and will no longer be a private party transfer. You have to pick it up in person to sign it off, do the safety check, and provide proof of a gun lock purchase anyway.

doc trock
01-03-2009, 8:06 PM
If it goes to another FFL, that's another DROS, fees, and 10 day wait. It also has to be on the safe list and will no longer be a private party transfer. You have to pick it up in person to sign it off, do the safety check, and provide proof of a gun lock purchase anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I feel safer now....

If I show up with a gun lock, does that suffice?

69Mach1
01-03-2009, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I feel safer now....

If I show up with a gun lock, does that suffice?

+ the receipt of purchase dated no longer than 30 days from the day you pick up the pistol. Walmart has $5 DOJ approved gun locks.

doc trock
01-03-2009, 8:21 PM
+ the receipt of purchase dated no longer than 30 days from the day you pick up the pistol. Walmart has $5 DOJ approved gun locks.

Wow. I've got a safe, and a small safe, both DOJ approved, and several gun locks...but they want me to buy a new one?

69Mach1
01-03-2009, 8:26 PM
Yes. The safe affidavit is no longer acceptable for handgun purchases.

CHS
01-03-2009, 8:52 PM

This is a Federal issue, NOT a CA issue. FYI.

kmca
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
..and the lock is a federal requirement, so no receipt necessary. Now, if you can get your ffl to believe that :43:

domokun
01-04-2009, 2:53 AM
Wow. I've got a safe, and a small safe, both DOJ approved, and several gun locks...but they want me to buy a new one?

Just head to your local Walmart to purchase one and return it after you've picked up your handgun. There's no requirement to keep it once you've taken delivery of the firearm.

dodgerfan175
01-09-2009, 6:22 PM

So theres no way to use the safe in lieu of the lock?

Librarian
01-09-2009, 7:47 PM
So theres no way to use the safe in lieu of the lock?

Not currently, for handguns. BATFE is asleep at the switch. See
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1495010#post1495010