PDA

View Full Version : calguns foundation booth at gun shows

totenkopf
01-03-2009, 3:39 PM
after attending the cal expo gun show today, i had an idea. why not have the calguns foundation/calguns.net represented at the local gun shows. i had conversations with two different people that were interested in ar style rifles that did not know about calguns.net. to have awareness raised about these two incredible resources would be a hugh step forward. as my wife can attest, once you check out calguns, you are hooked.

i would be willing to work a shift/day/weekend to raise exposure for our cause and i am sure that others would be too. i don't know what a table costs, but if it is worth it for people to sell there trinkets/junk, it could be worth it for the foundation(exposure=donations).

the more people that can be introduced to RKBA issues, the better for everyone. just a thought.

plm61
01-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Crossroads charges $90 for an 8' table, $95 for an 8' wall table. More if you want electrical power (charge for power varies per venue).

A nice static display would cost a little to set up, but could be used repeatedly.

I'll bet you could easily get CGN members to pony up for the cost of the table and a couple of people to volunteer for each show, especially since I assume "vendors" get in free.

Put my name on the list as someone willing to do so, scheduling permitting.

retired
01-03-2009, 4:14 PM
I'm from the IE also and I'm up for that. Being retired, I have nothing but time.

eaglemike
01-03-2009, 4:41 PM
I treid to get a table near CWS at the last Del Mar show, nothing close was available. Hector (the big Kahuna at CWS) offered to provide some space, so I had 1K plus flowcharts printed. They went pretty well.

I'd be glad to either help man a booth, or whatever. I really enjoyed hanging with the CWS crew and explaing things to the passers-by. It was great to see the lights coming on as people learned.

all the best,
Mike

mblat
01-03-2009, 5:21 PM
That is an intriguing idea...... I would volunteer for Glendale show.... and give some cash for the display also.....

CHS
01-03-2009, 5:35 PM
I will pony up the cost for a table and help to man it for SoCal shows.

Just let me know.

thatrogue
01-03-2009, 5:44 PM
I was just thinking this would be a good Idea while at the Sacramento gun show. I'd love to volunteer anytime in Nor Cal...

pennys dad
01-03-2009, 5:47 PM
+1 for fund support and time or setup support, it would be a blast.

Ford8N
01-03-2009, 5:56 PM
after attending the cal expo gun show today, i had an idea. why not have the calguns foundation/calguns.net represented at the local gun shows. i had conversations with two different people that were interested in ar style rifles that did not know about calguns.net. to have awareness raised about these two incredible resources would be a hugh step forward. as my wife can attest, once you check out calguns, you are hooked.

i would be willing to work a shift/day/weekend to raise exposure for our cause and i am sure that others would be too. i don't know what a table costs, but if it is worth it for people to sell there trinkets/junk, it could be worth it for the foundation(exposure=donations).

the more people that can be introduced to RKBA issues, the better for everyone. just a thought.

Any thing would be better than the UN/One World Order/Conspiracy booth guy. :rolleyes:

plm61
01-03-2009, 6:00 PM
Well, totenkopf, you seem to have started something here.

If people keep offering to help, I'll volunteer to make a list of who volunteered for what and who offered to help fund the effort.

If someone would do the graphic layout for folding cardboard poster displays, I could get them printed. That would be pretty cheap.

totenkopf
01-03-2009, 6:10 PM
i am glad this idea has caught on. the support seems to be here. i think that it would be good to hear from the higher ups and get their blessing.

WokMaster1
01-03-2009, 6:16 PM
I think Calguns has so much history behind it. From how 10% risking it all for all of us at The SJ gunshow with Iggy going "TWO WEEKS" & spewing :fud:, the Milpitas group buy with Ben, Scatch Magoo & others, SAS & KenpoProfessor, AM from DOJ, Bill & Gene, etc, etc.

I know that someone here (Grammaton?) actually documented the history, etc. That will be a great history for all Californians to learn the story behind it all & how it works hand in hand with the NRA to change things.

You can print that out because it makes for a great bedtime read.:thumbsup:

wildhawker
01-03-2009, 6:53 PM
My wife and I would be in to fund some Bay Area shows. We'd love to help man or setup as well. I'd think it would worth considering to have women shooters (especially those competing in local match/USPSA/IDPA) represent our community as well - especially post-Nordyke, a varied cross-section would help us with our public image (especially since we will be pushing some more 'scary' concepts like LOC & CCW in the very near future).

7x57
01-03-2009, 7:12 PM
I'd think it would worth considering to have women shooters (especially those competing in local match/USPSA/IDPA) represent our community as well - especially post-Nordyke, a varied cross-section would help us with our public image (especially since we will be pushing some more 'scary' concepts like LOC & CCW in the very near future).

I think it is indispensible, for any number of reasons. One is that it aims at some core gun-prohibitionist demographics, of course. Another is that it's a disruptive strategy.

Essentially, the left's vision is compelling for many people because it is a narrative, a story about the Good Fight. In that story, evil (us, among others) loses, but it's an important role in the story. It must be cast carefully for the narrative to work. To be indelicate about it, most of the casting for Darth & company is conservative white males.

The opportunity here is that RKBA is for the powerless and the ordinary citizen--the powerful never need it, they are protected by all the guns the police and private security guards need. That means their narrative is disrupted every time a woman overcomes the disparity of force in just the way Sam'l Colt intended, every time an immigrant Korean shopkeeper protects everything he has with a cheap surplus SKS, and so on.

Do not follow the script. Be intentionally disruptive. Do not allow the enemy to do the casting. :-)

7x57

hoffmang
01-03-2009, 7:31 PM
Let me propose this. I don't think we want to yet attempt to pull together a whole booth. I'd expect that we can borrow some space from one of our friendly FFLs at most every show.

If someone wants to sign up to be the volunteer coordinator for booth scheduling CGF can make sure we have an FFL who will let us join him and have flowcharts/handouts and maybe a little signage.

Let's choose a show and make sure we can make it work.

Thoughts?

-Gene

USN CHIEF
01-03-2009, 7:36 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea. It would be unreal the amount of people that Cal Guns could recruit at the gun shows + the amount of money that could be collected from donations for the Cal Guns Foundation.

plm61
01-03-2009, 7:36 PM
I'll defer to totenkopf, since this was his idea, but I'll volunteer to coordinate the volunteers if totenkopf doesn't, um, volunteer.

It will take the foundation, however, to approve display materials and a general outline of what volunteers should say to the public. We'll be representing your foundation, after all.

Let me propose this. I don't think we want to yet attempt to pull together a whole booth. I'd expect that we can borrow some space from one of our friendly FFLs at most every show.

If someone wants to sign up to be the volunteer coordinator for booth scheduling CGF can make sure we have an FFL who will let us join him and have flowcharts/handouts and maybe a little signage.

Thoughts?

-Gene

aplinker
01-03-2009, 7:41 PM
I'm in for funds and volunteer time.

wildhawker
01-03-2009, 7:45 PM
I think it is indispensible, for any number of reasons. One is that it aims at some core gun-prohibitionist demographics, of course. Another is that it's a disruptive strategy.

Essentially, the left's vision is compelling for many people because it is a narrative, a story about the Good Fight. In that story, evil (us, among others) loses, but it's an important role in the story. It must be cast carefully for the narrative to work. To be indelicate about it, most of the casting for Darth & company is conservative white males.

The opportunity here is that RKBA is for the powerless and the ordinary citizen--the powerful never need it, they are protected by all the guns the police and private security guards need. That means their narrative is disrupted every time a woman overcomes the disparity of force in just the way Sam'l Colt intended, every time an immigrant Korean shopkeeper protects everything he has with a cheap surplus SKS, and so on.

Do not follow the script. Be intentionally disruptive. Do not allow the enemy to do the casting. :-)

7x57

Well said, sir.

Some personal history, when my wife and I met she lived in west SF... it could be said that she was less than sympathetic to conservative ideology and the 2A. Since, however, we have begun shooting together at least once a week (as a shared hobby), and she's actually become quite the vocal supporter of our most important of rights. Introducing her to the sport at her own pace, she's now preparing to shoot IDPA/USPSA and could beat me in a match just about anytime. I couldn't be more proud, and I fully expect that she will bring other women into the sport as time goes on. As an RN (pursuing her FNP), she's used her daily contact with the public to further the positive aspects of our sport (and right)- antithetical to the typical "I see guns kill/maim children and must be banned" that is put forth by the medical field and published by the mainstream media.

In my mind, the future of our rights and nation depend on our ability to break from the imagery of middle-aged white men in cutoff tee-shirts and criminals in general. I hope and pray that we will be able to create a positive and welcoming environment for new shooters, especially women, so we can more effectively fight against the coming wave of oppressive regulation and negative press.

REDHORSE
01-03-2009, 7:47 PM
You may add me to the SOCAL list.

Open to help man the table @ SOCAL guns shows, when they don't interfere with work or shooting matches.

vladbutsky
01-03-2009, 7:59 PM
I'm in for San Jose/SF.

savageevo
01-03-2009, 8:00 PM
I would be in for both funds and time. I think it would also be a good idea to have some real examples for the booth. For example, haveing all the different types of cal legal devices like mag locks, MM grips, U-15 stocks to make the rifles compliant. Another would be actually having different types of rifles that are compliant to show examples to people. Selling calguns, t-shirts, stickers, Iron- decals, bumper stickers for the fondation. How about selling the compliant parts at the booth also. Kestryl, Where are you. Chime in on this. We want this to be big.:jump:

CHS
01-03-2009, 8:04 PM

I volunteer to be a SoCal coordinator. I don't have the ability to be at or coordinate for NorCal shows, but I have no problem being available to coordinate for Del Mar to OC Fairgrounds up to Glendale, and all between.

There are plenty of friendly FFL's down here:

Riflegear
J&J
CWS
OC Armory
and more.

heyjak
01-03-2009, 8:09 PM
I've seen NRA tables outside gunshows in N. California. Why not try to partner with them at their table? (share cost?) (wear Calguns Sweatshirts? - Do they exist?)

I'm semi-retired and would gladly volunteer time at N. California shows.:thumbsup:

wildhawker
01-03-2009, 8:11 PM

Thoughts?

-Gene

A full booth may be something to work up to- creating a brand and the related materials does take quite a bit of time and effort. Some feedback from the first few shows would likely act as informal focus groups for the different major markets.

We (wife and I) would be honored to help fund, coordinate and/or man Bay Area and possibly some Sacto and Fresno area events as-needed on weekends and some weekdays.

Speaking only for NorCal events, we are good to go for the SF show Feb 28-Mar 1 if we can get something put together.

hoffmang
01-03-2009, 8:24 PM
A full booth may be something to work up to- creating a brand and the related materials does take quite a bit of time and effort. Some feedback from the first few shows would likely act as informal focus groups for the different major markets.

That was exactly what I was thinking. Training wheels to get the processes down and then we can scale up. We can probably get a table at a significant discount once we show the shows why we're good business (explaining the laws and expanding demand.) I expect the Nordykes will take care of us for example.

-Gene

plm61
01-03-2009, 8:27 PM
Here's a list of 2009 California gun shows:

Jan 10-11 Ventura (M)
Jan 17-18 Cow Palace (C)
Jan 24-25 Costa Mesa (C)
Feb 7-8 Del Mar (C)
Feb 28-Mar 1 Cow Palace (C)
Feb 28-Mar 1 Ventura (M)
Mar 7-8 Glendale (G)
Mar 7-8 Cal Expo (M)
Mar 21-22 Del Mar (C)
Mar 28-29 Costa Mesa (C)
May 2-3 Cow Palace (C)
May 16-17 Ontario (C)
Jun 6-7 Costa Mesa (C)
Jun 6-7 Ventura (M)
Jul 18-19 Del Mar (C)
Aug 8-9 Glendale (G)
Aug 22-23 Costa Mesa (C)
Sep 12-13 Ventura (M)
Sep 19-20 Cow Palace (C)
Sep 26-27 Glendale (M)
Oct 3-4 Del Mar (C)
Oct 10-11 Ontario (C)
Nov 7-8 Cow Palace (C)
Nov 7-8 Ventura (M)
Nov 21-22 Glendale (G)
Nov 28-29 Costa Mesa (C)
Dec 12-13 Del Mar (C)

C = Crossroads (http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/)
M = McMann's Roadrunner (http://mcmannsroadrunner.com/)
G = Glendale (http://www.glendalegunshow.com/)

eaglemike
01-03-2009, 8:50 PM
Based on my experience at Del Mar show, it would be very handy to have firearm examples to show. I was able to show a lower with a BB installed, and that helped with many people. The copies of the Sac PD memo (thanks Gene) disappeared very quickly. It's nice to have a document like this to counteract the past FUD. If we knew someone in the printing business it would be nice. I got a quote of about $950 for 1K color copies from Kinko's, so I had them do 1K B&W and some color, still cost over $200. I can do color copies cheaper than Kinko's on my copier. The color is so much easier to read - thanks RedHorse! I left some of the copies at the NRA booth, they were friendly about it.

I think it's REALLY REALLY important to be polite and positive in this arena. Some people we meet will not be so, but the vast majority were very positive. Of course, it's like preaching to the choir to some degree. Whoever works the booth, gott be :D

I think it would also be a good thing to have some explanation about handgun assault configurations, and an explanation of the DOJ list. Maybe some explanation of when there is a need for PPT through and FFL, or not. High caps persoanlly owned prior to the ban, etc. :)

all the best,
Mike

totenkopf
01-03-2009, 9:27 PM
Originally Posted by hoffmang

Thoughts?

-Gene

i can respect not wanting to go too big too fast, but i can't recall going to a show where the vendors table/tables were not completely covered with wares they were trying to sell. not to mention the precious real estate in front of the booth that we would clog up trying to proselytize the masses. i wanted to keep my idea simple at first to see how effective it would be.

one table, two-three people working the table. no one selling anything calguns related, no money changing hands. any info requested could be channeled to calguns. any donation that would like to be made, we would only refer them to the website/proper donations channel. nothing accepted at the booth and no legal advice. just members talking to people about how good of a resource calguns is and singing the praises of the legal battles being fought by the foundation. if the members want to fund this and work it, i see this as win/win.

that being said, the website and the foundation are not mine. i can understand that in this world, if you stick your neck out, you can get hung by it. if i am oversteping the bounds here, please let me know. if not, i say that this is a perfect example of a grassroots effort that can turn into a grassfire for us. i did not expect to fund this idea with any money from calguns or the foundation.

i would not mind coordinating the nor cal events. i attend most of the shows in the sf/sacto/reno/yuba city area as it is.

just remember, the shot that you miss 100 percent of the time is the one you don't take.

bigmike82
01-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm down with volunteering/funds for SoCal gun shows.

Liberty1
01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
A Calguns.net / Calguns Foundation brochures, listing the accomplishments and successful defenses and planned offences, would be great to hand out too.

norcal-ar
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
id be down if someone wants to partner up and do the vallejo gun shows.I dont have funds to rent a table but id be willing to work a shift or do something to help out.

ARBITER
01-03-2009, 10:30 PM
"Let me propose this. I don't think we want to yet attempt to pull together a whole booth. I'd expect that we can borrow some space from one of our friendly FFLs at most every show.

Thoughts?

-Gene"

Sonoma Firearms will volunteer table space for the Foundation at Cal Expo, San Jose, Cow Palace, Vallejo, and other shows. Call John at Sonoma Firearms 916-761-0209 or just show up.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
That is an intriguing idea...... I would volunteer for Glendale show.... and give some cash for the display also.....

I would be in for this as well. It will actually give me a good reason to go for once. ;)

I could definately convince a few other calguners to come with me as well.

One more firearms related booth and one less beef jerky related booth would be nice. :p

I would be happy to help CWS or any other Off List friendly FFL with the cost of their booth for a little bit of space for Calguns.

WokMaster1
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
If the CG leadership gives us a ALL GREEN LIGHT for AK & AR Pistols with the legal write ups, etc, PRKArms should represent us as our friendly FFL for the San Francisco show. That way, we can spread some real info to SFPD & San Mateo LE agencies.

I agree with samples for folks to actually touch. A lot of people have been under the spell of "Not Allowed" but once they touch these magical firearms, the spell will be broken........:)

ARBITER
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
You would need training in informing the public of their rights before obtaining a booth. eg. What may have precipitated an audit and a raid from the Calif. DOJ Division of firearms almost 2 years by Ignatious Chinn on Sonoma Firearms, Iggy showed up at my house with a surprise Audit and accused me of telling a customer that he could have an AR with a detachable magazine. He said he had a complaint from my customer. What happened was I explained to the customer he could have a detachable mag on an Ar if the OLL wasn't on the assault weapons list and had no evil features. The sale was canceled because he wanted a flash hider. I told Iggy that I read my customers their rights at purchase and give them a copy of Bill Weise AR/AK memo. Iggy new this at the time but was trying to intimidate me with false accusations. Anyway any FFL that volunteers table space may be inviting Intimidations, Audits and who knows what from the Calif. DOJ Bureau of Firearms. I have been through it so I gladly volunteer table space. John Sonoma Firearms

wildhawker
01-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks, John. How incredibly heartenting to read of someone with the passion and fortitude to press on.

Another thought as a sidebar to the gun show booths- do we, and if not, could we hold regional CGF barbeques/events with a raffle (door), silent auction and dinner/dancing (ok, maybe no dancing for those with two lefts)? With all of the upcoming legal costs (good costs, but costs nonetheless), would there be enough upside to having CGF Members and invited guests attend events which could monitarily benefit the Foundation and bring that grassroots appeal to the masses? I'm thinking a one-two punch here: revenue and passion. It is hard to garner such over the internet, but much easier face to face when a few passionate speakers and members show what the future holds (good and bad) for ALL of the citizenry. The possibilities are endless: CGF invite days to the range for "evil black rifle" training and shooting, and so on.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how these concepts mesh with the CGF's direction set forth by the board. If not appropriate, we'll do whatever we can within the bounds given us. The bottom line is that there are many of us who very much wish to assist CGF and achieve the many great things absolutely possible with the caliber of people here in this group.

reefer_bob
01-04-2009, 1:54 AM
I'm not sure I'm knowledgable enough to be part of a booth, or have enough money to sponsor more than a couple bucks...

I've been to enough gun shows around SF, Sac, Reno, Napa, Vallejo to know that a non-profit typle informative booth about the true rules of California gun ownership would be a MAJOR benefit to each and every one of these shows.

I'm willing to help in any way possible, and fully support this movement.

Rob.

oaklander
01-04-2009, 2:01 AM
I like the idea!

:D

ivanimal
01-04-2009, 2:15 AM
I can do Nor-cal dates with sample rifles. I have one of each

aplinker
01-04-2009, 2:31 AM
My suggestions:

1.) Have people with hands-on demos of rifles using bullet-buttons, etc.

2.) Have posters describing some of the basics (Calguns Foundation, what you can do legally in CA, what you can get, NeRFs, etc)

3.) While printouts (especially color) of the flow-chart and Sac PD memo are nice, most will look it over and toss it. Perhaps better would be small cards with the web address and where to get started. All our info can be printed out. We could have a good number of laminated copies of both the flow-chart and PD memo laminated and attached to the table/wall for people to read.

4.) Email sign-ups where we send a 1-page about getting started on Calguns

artherd
01-04-2009, 3:30 AM
I like this. Norcal and socal crews & volunteers - sound off!

We have to be a little careful here that we present correct data (stick to the talking points, OLLs, etc. NO NRFs for right now!!!) And that we inform everyone that CGF are not their lawyers, and that they should contact a proper lawyer for real legal advice.

RP1911
01-04-2009, 9:24 AM
Just a suggestion:

If we do this, I would recommend we use a true 10 round mag and not a 10/20 or 10/30. This would visually reinforce the 10 round magazine in a BB/P50 gun.

DJMAN
01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I can help out at the Fresno show. Ill even help out with the fees for a table with PRKArms.

Manuel

DedEye
01-04-2009, 2:35 PM
I've been saying we should have this for a while now, glad to see someone stepped up and took the initiative to make this a reality! I'm happy to volunteer whenever and whereever I'm able (likely NorCal and occasionally SoCal) and can provide example rifles as well.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-04-2009, 3:20 PM
I'm happy to assist with any events/shows in and around the Bay Area.

I thought I read that CGF planned to have a monthly newsletter...I think it would be a great idea to have a packet of sorts to hand out that could include CGF/Calguns.net accomplishments as well as current legislative/legal issues...of course the standard flow charts would be included. That way CGF could control exactly what info is being disseminated and those manning the booth could stay very specific to their talk track.

I'd also like to suggest a "tip jar" of sorts that could offset the printing costs with any extras going to the CGF general fund.

pullnshoot25
01-04-2009, 3:26 PM
I'll volunteer down in SD sometime! That would be fun! I do need shopping time though...

joe4702
01-04-2009, 4:04 PM
Perhaps another option to consider for the Del Mar Show is sharing space with the NRA Members Council booth. The only drawback is we set up outside the show near the ticket booth, so you wouldn't be right near any OLL dealers. But since we're outside, we have a bit more room to work with. Last show someone dropped off copies of the OLL flowchart and we put them on our literature table for the taking.

I'm just a Council volunteer. A Members Council officer would have to decide if this would be permissible. Mike Schwartz is Council Vice President. You can PM or e-mail him (his CGN user name is also his email address): mike_schwartz@mail.com

FWIW

domokun
01-04-2009, 4:05 PM

Thoughts?

-Gene

Gene,

The Cow Palace show would be appropriate as it's right after the Nordyke hearing and it's one of the larger shows in Northern California. Additionally, there's usually a good number of black rifle vendors in attendance there.

hoffmang
01-04-2009, 4:57 PM
Gene,

The Cow Palace show would be appropriate as it's right after the Nordyke hearing and it's one of the larger shows in Northern California. Additionally, there's usually a good number of black rifle vendors in attendance there.

I would normally fully agree, but there is a ton of stuff we have to do between now and the 15th behind the scenes to pull off the oral argument event (and a couple of other things.) I'd like to have enough lead time to have signage and at least a trifold or one pager ready and two weeks is not really enough.

We could do something scaled down and keep John Contos some company in his booth.

My lack of posts shouldn't be taken as anything beyond loving letting this come together.

-Gene

jaymz
01-04-2009, 5:12 PM
Sign me up for Ontario, and some of the Del Mar & Costa Mesa shows. Mostly depends on my work schedule.

rulas41
01-04-2009, 5:35 PM
My Stag Arms AR 15 with BB and I are willing able and ready to report for any orange county area shows :D:43:

wildhawker
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
any donation that would like to be made, we would only refer them to the website/proper donations channel. nothing accepted at the booth and no legal advice.

The only exception I might take is with not accepting donations at the shows. If we can get "next-day sales" out of the masses, that would be great (meaning, we did a hell of a job and made a lasting impact). However, I'll take $5 today over any promise of tomorrow. Since they would be deductible donations, we could even give them a simple receipt for their CPA. This is a selling point, and I would hope to be able to sell these points during the many conversations with the public. And, at the end of the day, CGF is helping to maintain the rights of the very buyers and sellers walking the halls for that case of ammo at just the right price... what's a small (and deductible) donation to your local, friendly CGF to help all these hungry buyers feel as if they are doing their part to protect our RTKBA and commerce?

sfwdiy
01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I'd be down for the Glendale shows as long as I have some notice. I can bring by BB AK for an example rifle. Sounds like a good idea!

--Ben

totenkopf
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
i stated it like that because i feel uneasy as a volunteer accepting money on behalf of someone. i would not want to be responsible handling cash. maybe checks, but usually cash is king at gun shows. and don't take that to mean that i don't think that calgunners can't behave themselves with such a responsiblity. you just open yourself up to all sorts of liabilities( theft, loss, robbery).

hoffmang
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
i stated it like that because i feel uneasy as a volunteer accepting money on behalf of someone. i would not want to be responsible handling cash. maybe checks, but usually cash is king at gun shows. and don't take that to mean that i don't think that calgunners can't behave themselves with such a responsiblity. you just open yourself up to all sorts of liabilities( theft, loss, robbery).

Well, with a sponsored FFL, I'm happy to have you turn the cash over to them in return for a check from them. Also, it is a gun show after all. Your risk of theft there is pretty low.

I think we can set people up for local deposits against the CGF account. CGF's bank has a decent California footprint. Worst case you'd have to fill out a deposit slip and head straight to the local branch where you'd use the night deposit and email Ben (CGF Treasurer.)

-Gene

wildhawker
01-05-2009, 6:40 AM
Well, with a sponsored FFL, I'm happy to have you turn the cash over to them in return for a check from them. Also, it is a gun show after all. Your risk of theft there is pretty low.

I think we can set people up for local deposits against the CGF account. CGF's bank has a decent California footprint. Worst case you'd have to fill out a deposit slip and head straight to the local branch where you'd use the night deposit and email Ben (CGF Treasurer.)

-Gene

If the banks are numerous enough (or had sister teller machines around) then a daily drop would be ideal, especially since the same crew leader may not work 2 or more days in a row in some cases.

totenkopf
01-05-2009, 9:37 AM
well if you are comfortable with the idea gene, then i would be ok with it.

hoffmang
01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
well if you are comfortable with the idea gene, then i would be ok with it.

We're using Comerica and it looks to me like there are plenty of locations near most any of the shows. All we have to do is hand you as many deposit slips and envelopes as days of the show. As an example, crew leader on a Saturday would fill out the deposit slip, note info from the checks over a certain size (for thank you letters), place the envelope into the night depository (no ATM card required) and send one of the CGF board an email with deposit size, cash amount, and the check info.

Pretty easy. Alternatively, you could just deposit the cash and drop the checks off with the leftover stuff - if any.

We should have our discounted postage soon so we may be able to provide "no postage necessary" envelopes and boxes.

-Gene

CHS
01-05-2009, 7:42 PM
We're using Comerica and it looks to me like there are plenty of locations near most any of the shows. All we have to do is hand you as many deposit slips and envelopes as days of the show. As an example, crew leader on a Saturday would fill out the deposit slip, note info from the checks over a certain size (for thank you letters), place the envelope into the night depository (no ATM card required) and send one of the CGF board an email with deposit size, cash amount, and the check info.

Like I said, I'm fully prepared to be responsible for SoCal shows from San Diego up to Ventura.

artherd
01-05-2009, 8:10 PM
I'm fine with pre-vetted individuals handling donations for CGF, you'll work with me and just deposit the checks at a local branch (or even mail them possibly.) Anyone with a photocopier and fax machine would be ideally suited.

DedEye
01-05-2009, 8:30 PM
I'm fine with pre-vetted individuals handling donations for CGF, you'll work with me and just deposit the checks at a local branch (or even mail them possibly.) Anyone with a photocopier and fax machine would be ideally suited.

Hmm, I suspect you'd trust me to do that ;).

wildhawker
01-05-2009, 8:40 PM

Obviously, some of the people here have been around a while and, I would guess, have some long-standing personal relationships. How might those of us who are newer to the community have an opportunity to be vetted for such volunteer work? Based on the level of response so far, I'm sure that there are quite a number of folks amongst CG who would readily commit their time to events for CGF.

As a sidebar, is there a proper forum/area for a "roll call" or to setup a local/regional meet-and-greet?

FreedomIsNotFree
01-06-2009, 2:27 AM
Obviously, some of the people here have been around a while and, I would guess, have some long-standing personal relationships. How might those of us who are newer to the community have an opportunity to be vetted for such volunteer work? Based on the level of response so far, I'm sure that there are quite a number of folks amongst CG who would readily commit their time to events for CGF.

As a sidebar, is there a proper forum/area for a "roll call" or to setup a local/regional meet-and-greet?

Yep...the Nordyke dinner on the 15th....:thumbsup:

Many of us have met at various events over the last few years. Get involved and you will meet many.

wildhawker
01-06-2009, 6:06 AM
Yep...the Nordyke dinner on the 15th....:thumbsup:

Many of us have met at various events over the last few years. Get involved and you will meet many.

Definitely looking forward to doing so, it would be difficult to miss such an historic occasion.

wildhawker
01-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Gene,

Understanding that much is taking place behind the scenes, I'd like to bring this back into the fold if you and others are amenable. If we believe that there exists enough time to prepare for the SF show Feb 28-Mar 1, this might be something a few of us could get to work on.

hoffmang
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
That timeline sounds practical. I certainly don't have a problem with pulling things together for that timeline.

-Gene

DedEye
01-23-2009, 11:41 PM
That timeline sounds practical. I certainly don't have a problem with pulling things together for that timeline.

-Gene

I'm there. Let me know how I can help.

SwissFluCase
01-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm in the North Bay. Let me know what I can do to help.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

JTecalo
01-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Don't forget Flyliner's Quick Reference Law, if he has no objections

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143827&highlight=quick+reference+law

wildhawker
01-24-2009, 1:05 AM

-Gene

In that case, how would you think best to prioritize the efforts? Assuming there would be some sort of a CGF handout to produce, what else is currently envisioned by the board outside of the excellent prior suggestions such as those of uclaplinker?

I'd think the first step may be to see how much room we could borrow, then build a display to suit.

With everyone who's posted so far, there looks to be quite a bit of manhours and funding dedicated to making this happen- if we could get your help with establishing some structure, I am positive this is not only a realistic goal, but one with tremendous potential.

Flying Bones
01-24-2009, 9:33 AM
I am in for Cal Expo March 7 and 8, First weekend of March.

Who is in charge of:

Volunteer List with Times Available:
Type of Materials:
Printing of Materials:
What Rifle Example's to Bring:
Bringing Said Examples:
Vendor to Share Booth:

Unless I am missing someone who has already stepped up to organize the Cal Expo show I am willing to make sure we have organized the above items.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
01-24-2009, 9:46 AM
I'll lend a U-15 rifle if needed.

How do we illustrate bullet buttons if we have to zip-tie the bolt open through the mag well? Or should the demonstrators have the upper removed?

hoffmang
01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm there. Let me know how I can help.

Is Bullseye plan on having a table or are you guys partnering with PRK again?

We need to figure out who to borrow space from.

-Gene

vladbutsky
01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm in San Jose and would like to help with SF gunshow preparations and/or be there to help on the ground. Please count me in.

Rascal
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I can do Nor-cal dates with sample rifles. I have one hundred of each

I fixed it for you. :D

On a side note. Those volunteering should wear business casual attire, and I would suggest getting together and go over your presentation, before you actually do this. It doesn't help the cause, if you don't look and act professional.
Remember appearances account for 80% of a persons reflection on what you are trying to sell. I know, that doesn't seem right, but it is true.
We are here to sell others CGF and what it can do for our 2nd rights.

blisster
01-24-2009, 7:51 PM
I would definitely contribute both funds and time at the SF or Vallejo shows.

pullnshoot25
01-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Next Del Mar show I will volunteer! That's Feb 7! Will there be any reps for Calguns there?

Eric Mayer
01-24-2009, 10:31 PM
We would be happy to print up some full-color, printed banners (2.5' x 6') and ship them to key people around the state. If someone wants to design something, or supply us with some vector artwork and an idea, we would be more than happy to do it.

Let me know!!

Eric :cool:

Can'thavenuthingood
01-25-2009, 8:25 AM
We would be happy to print up some full-color, printed banners (2.5' x 6') and ship them to key people around the state. If someone wants to design something, or supply us with some vector artwork and an idea, we would be more than happy to do it.

Let me know!!

Are these vinyl or a paper?
Usable outdoors as in fairly weather proof?

Vick

vladbutsky
01-25-2009, 8:34 AM
How about creating CalGuns t-shirts,mags or bumper stickers and either sell them for reduced price or give them for free?
I see it as a good advertizing for CalGuns that could bring more people. I can help with design. We could create a set of proposed designs and publish them here for review and comments before we proceed.

Hans Gruber
01-25-2009, 9:10 AM
I can see it now. Banners and shirts that say "Know the Flow" with a bit of the flowchart in the background and a calguns logo.

This whole thread gets a +1.

vladbutsky
01-25-2009, 9:13 AM
Does anyone know a good place to order the customized stuff like t-shirts or stickers?
We can try http://shop.cafepress.com/cp/customize/ but it is not cheap.

6172crew
01-25-2009, 9:57 AM
I wonder if we could get other groups to sponsor the CGF by placing the ads, pamphlets of other like minded orgs. I know there are few out there

The Marine Corps business network is at the Lincoln range today, Calgunlaws, ccw.org or CAccw etc. website and the lawyers who fight for us would probably help buy the table.

BTW sign me up for the Sac area.:)

West coast
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
It sound like a great idea for the shows and California people.

Smokeybehr
01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I'll lend a U-15 rifle if needed.

How do we illustrate bullet buttons if we have to zip-tie the bolt open through the mag well? Or should the demonstrators have the upper removed?

A stripped lower with just the BB installed, with a high strength wire "leash" attaching it to a heavy base to deter people from just walking off with it. If someone can drill an empty .223 case and fit a bullet into it, then you can put another leash on that, so you have the whole demo unit together.

Even better would be if you could get one of the manufacturers to build a "lower" with just the magwell and mag release parts machined, the buffer hole drilled (not tapped) and leave the trigger group area solid. This (theoretically) wouldn't be a functioning lower, and therefore wouldn't need to be put into the system.

The same thing with the various grips and stocks. With just the buffer hole drilled and tapped, and the grip attachment area machined/drilled/tapped, it's in the "80%" realm, and not a "receiver" according to ATF.

wildhawker
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm hoping that the NRF news is out in the open by the SF show. What a way to bring the information to the public and show the value of CGF to both consumers and the sellers.

Gator Monroe
01-25-2009, 11:23 AM
CGF needs a table at The Big Reno Gun Show & The Breakfast Lions Club Redding Gun Show too !:chris:

Ford8N
01-25-2009, 12:10 PM
CGF needs a table at The Big Reno Gun Show & The Breakfast Lions Club Redding Gun Show too !:chris:

Excellent idea to "educate" the out of state gun dealers. I've noticed a lot of ignorance and down right malevolence toward gun buyers who shop out of state.

DedEye
01-25-2009, 1:55 PM
Is Bullseye plan on having a table or are you guys partnering with PRK again?

We need to figure out who to borrow space from.

-Gene

I don't work with or for them anymore, and I don't think they go to gun shows.

Fed, Drickel, PRK going?

Eric Mayer
01-25-2009, 4:16 PM
Ours is full-color printed vinyl (indoor/outdoor), although we can do paper posters, contour cut decals, etc as well (we print/cut with a Roland Versacamm).

We also do Direct-to-Garment Printing on light t-shirts. I'm sure we could work out donating some of those as well.

Let me know!

Can'thavenuthingood
01-25-2009, 4:38 PM
I'm looking to get a large vinyl with the Calguns logo on the left and the CALGUNS.NET text in large fonts.

Size is about 2.5 ft by 6 ft long.

I want to hang it up on the side of my pickup at shoots and meets etc. Bungee cords stretched to the poles.

I have the artwork in eps and ai

Sending a PM with phone number.

Vick

FastFinger
01-25-2009, 6:02 PM
I could help with printed documentation. No I don't have a printing press, but I do have a good brokers discount at one. 8.5 x 11', gloss, color on both sides, about $250/1,000. Or 11 x 17 trifold, full color - $380/1,000.

http://i41.tinypic.com/x1a68m.jpg

Can also help with design & prepress if supplied with content.

DedEye
01-25-2009, 9:50 PM
Does anyone own a print shop? What we could really use are a few thousand copies of the AW flowchart.

Any that don't get handed out at this show could be saved until the next one. They could also be sold with funds going to CGF, or request a "minimum donation" to encourage even more giving :).

Liberty1
01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
request a "minimum donation" to encourage even more giving :).

There is cost in quality printing. The "friendly" who prints this should at least get their costs covered unless they do it as a donation too.

DedEye
01-25-2009, 10:13 PM
There is cost in quality printing. The "friendly" who prints this should at least get their costs covered unless they do it as a donation too.

+1.

spddrcr
01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I didnt read the whole thread but if no one has stepped up yet ill donate the banners and a bunch of decals, Im not retired but i am on permenent disability so i do vinyl work at home in my spare time, just say the word and ill cut some stuff for you guys:thumbsup:

jjperl
01-26-2009, 1:26 AM
This idea makes me happy, but it also scares me. Before willing CGN members start manning booths at gun shows, it is imperative that these members know the law like the back of their hands. We don't want to look like people from the internet spreading FUD, if you know what I mean.

For those of you that volunteer, when the times comes, please know what your talking about.

BTW, I am willing to volunteer for the Ventura gun show. I have a few educational BB displays that I would be willing to bring.

artherd
01-26-2009, 2:03 AM
For those of you that volunteer, when the times comes, please know what your talking about.

Even more importantly - say so - when you don't!

FastFinger
01-26-2009, 9:34 AM

The cost for 2,500 - 8.5 x 11 color on both side - 100lb gloss book with aqueous coating (good stuff), would be $225.

8.5 x 14 (which would allow room for additional info on Calguns along with the current flow chart) would be $245.

wildhawker
01-26-2009, 9:34 AM
A few thoughts on the handout material:

1. We may want to consider revisiting the flowchart slightly to ensure that text & graphics are as printer-friendy as possible. If, without taking away from the usefulness of the chart, we could reduce the number of colors in the chart, we could likely reduce costs of production substantially.
2. I'm not sure that we'll be able to combine (both sides of) the AW ID Flowcart with CGF material into a single tri-fold; just too much info for a single publication. Maybe someone has some thoughts on this?
3. Until we see how everything works in the wild, we may only want to produce enough to cover a few test-events (Norcal, Socal, San Diego?).

That this thread is alive and well goes to the commitment of the people of Calguns; it is a real privilege to be a part of this.

jjperl and artherd both address an important facet of live events. This type of event coverage warrants some "dry-runs" prior to actually going live, and I hope that we would entertain the use of "night-before" prep meetings along with other preparatory activities.

The balance of a good CGF sales booth will be found in having the requisite knowledge to respond to the most basic and typical of firearm ownership issues (and knowing when to pass the question off to your partner or the forum) and the ability to present the CGF message in a positive, motivating manner in hopes of achieving the intended result- financial or auctionable contributions to CGF and/or investment of personal energies, putting forth a "local face" to a substantial RKBA organization and last, but not least, education on issues important to CGF and RKBA as a whole (including mitigation of FUD, reducing the number of arrests for preventable violations of CA's convoluted firearms statutes, etc.).

Please do correct me if I am off-base, but my interpretation of the intentions behind this type of effort was less to provide a platform for pro-bono quasi-legal advice as it was to sell the Calguns Foundation and the forums as a benefit to those with an interest in RKBA and/or gun ownership.

While I agree that some amount of covering those types of information (for example, the AW flow chart along with a BB or U15 installation) will both give us credibility and show a very real end-user benefit, the possibilities of the future and real-life examples of those legal undertakings by CGF should be the focus of any presentation.

It is not reasonable to expect the general public to buy a message of past victories as the sole basis for making and maintaining regular contributions (especially when such are not clearly perceived as a direct byproduct of Calguns); however, it is absolutely reasonable to expect that the past would give us enough traction with our audience to sell our message of the future.

There is much to be excited about and have been so many wonderful and positive consequences of CGN that it is understandable to desire this information be brought to the masses; we should, however, be cautious with our priorities and conscientious in our time management.

FastFinger
01-26-2009, 1:11 PM
Worry not about the amount of colors, the spec I posted are for 4 color cmyk printing - pretty much any color you can imagine. There is some saving with just black ink printing, but even then the bottom line differs only be a few bucks.

Content should be the focus of discussion. What's the action we desire, and what message will achieve it?

A flier with nothing but info on Calguns may be a bit dry and not garner the attention of a lot of people. As distasteful as it may be to some, what we'd be engaging in is marketing and advertising.

I see the primary tasks of the flier as:
1. Get picked up and taken home.
2. Once read compel the reader to visit this site.

At that point this site almost sells itself. In fact, if I was setting up the circus display I would definitely want an internet hook up to this site, with a large monitor so people could see what's here.

There are many benefits to distributing the flow chart. It is extremely useful, and presented well it's something folks would want to pick up and hang onto. A couple of nice images of decked out ARs, solid info, and the website details. Reviewing my copy of the flowchart - which is very well done - it can be edited a bit to make room for some additional Calguns info and artwork. Use 8.5 x 14 or 11 x 17 stock and we have even more space to persuade folks to check out this site.

http://i41.tinypic.com/jjwy85.jpg

pnkssbtz
01-26-2009, 2:45 PM
I'm a printer and I wouldn't mind donating a little bit of printed material to help this awesome cause.

8.5 x 11 flyers on 100# book and postcards are relatively cheap. As are business card sized handouts.

gazzavc
01-26-2009, 3:44 PM
I'll volunteer some time at any of the Ventura shows.

pullnshoot25
01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
OK, I need to know if there are going to be Calguns reps at the Del Mar gun show on Feb 7, because if there are I am sooo there! Please PLEASE let me know!

packnrat
01-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Well my "free" time is in very short supply, and I work most weekends, but yes put me down as a possable maybe. it would be a hoot to work a show or ten.

I could work some shows in sac, stockton, maybe other not to far areas.

but as a side note, I plan on going to the gridley show this sunday, I do not have a printer at this time any out there willing to print up some paperwork for me to take along? I can pickup/meetup between Manteca through sac.
willing to replace your paper and ink. pm me if any willing, or wanting to tag along.

ldivinag
01-27-2009, 2:03 AM
uniforms?

i'm thinking of polo shirts with the CGN logo on the front left breast and the URL on the collar?

Sawdust
01-27-2009, 8:20 AM
I'll volunteer some time at any of the Ventura shows.

What gazzavc said.

In addition, I could do Glendale.

Sawdust

Can'thavenuthingood
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Good poster Fastfinger.

Ought to make the 'N' in CalGuns.Net upper case to align with the "CGN"

Polo shirts?
What color, what sizes?

Vick

yellowfin
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
The flyer is perfect except that it uses the stupid AW word, thus validating the thinking behind it. "Not legal in CA" would be much better. Every time you use the antis' words you reinforce their message.

FastFinger
01-27-2009, 1:33 PM
The flyer is perfect except that it uses the stupid AW word, thus validating the thinking behind it. "Not legal in CA" would be much better. Every time you use the antis' words you reinforce their message.

Good point. Any final version will clearly be vetted by the powers that be. That's just the crudest of mock-ups.

wildhawker
01-27-2009, 5:33 PM
Somebody willing to run with this in the Bay Area (or able to support statewide efforts) PM me a cost on the tee-shirts. (EDIT: Can'thavenuthingood, you have a PM)

I'll buy some for the upcoming SF show, on the pretense that they are given away by the booth volunteers to the first x people who agree to *wear* the shirt as long as they are in attendance.

If we can get some "lucky shirts" out there amongst the masses with a great big WWW.CALGUNSFOUNDATION.ORG and WWW.CALGUNS.NET screenprinted on them, it will come back to us tenfold... especially if the tee shirts came with the other material being discussed.

Now that I think about it, I'll buy as many in ladies cut tees as well.

For whatever it's worth, my wife likes to wear a Bella shortsleeve tee my office had made up when she shoots IPSC; tight-fitting and long enough to tuck in if desired. Quick and dirty poll here: it being winter, are long-sleeves more appropriate or are short sleeves still good to go?

REDHORSE
01-27-2009, 6:44 PM
If you guys need me to remove the bubble SHADOWS in the flow chart, so that it will layer up in photoshop a bit nicer, just let me know. I can do a quick edit and the shadows will be gone for the flyer/pamphlet.

wildhawker
01-27-2009, 7:45 PM
Just had a conversation with Can'thavenuthingood... for anyone who has yet to speak with him, this man is as good as they come. One of these days we'll be telling you about these big, white-meat catfish we caught out of the Aqueduct...

Some ideas he and I discussed for your consideration and comment:

1. Would there be any value in having some large printed trade show bags made? Figure $0.78/EA (qty 250) plus die setup and color(s); if anyone can get these cheaper, please let me know.

2. Going back to the giveaway tees, Can'thave brought up hats as a cost-neutral option. That said: let's say that 10-20 male and female items would be given away per day at a gun show/event and worn the remainder of their visit- what will give us the most traction and exposure? What will go "beyond the walls" and be worn at the range, at the mall, grocery store?

3. Further, he made an excellent point about ladies' attire being particularly difficult to "one size fits all". How do we best address the women's attire angle? One thing guys, please ask your wife/girlfriend/significant other/female neighbor for the answer... if we pick 'em, we'll be wrong (you married guys know what I mean... ;) )!

4. Since we discussed having some tri/bi-folds made, how many would think that using some of them to place on windshields at the events would be effective or prudent?

5. For the techie in all of us... CGF/CGN mousepads?

If you would be so kind as to comment on these ideas (or toss some others into the ring), it would be greatly appreciated!

The goal here is to have something ready to go for the Cow Palace show. Obviously, this is a work in progress; however, I think we will learn much by this first effort.

wildhawker
01-27-2009, 8:25 PM
I can see it now. Banners and shirts that say "Know the Flow" with a bit of the flowchart in the background and a calguns logo.

This is catchy; I think you've got a good concept here... seeing a black tee with a partial AR exploded view in light white lines in the background...

Similar could be applied to NeRFs.

If we can associate CGF/CGN to the positive outcome [people want], buy-in will follow.

yellowfin
01-27-2009, 8:27 PM
Reuseable grocery bags would be good. T-shirts only get worn once in a while each while grocery bags are used once a week or more. My NRA hat gets noticed a lot in the checkout lines.

6172crew
01-27-2009, 9:04 PM

I dont see any room for a table in Reno. Folks there fight for table space; and even more so that obama was elected.

Huh! I just noticed the imac doesnt know what obama means and wants to change it to Obadiah..what ever that means.

6172crew
01-27-2009, 9:06 PM
Just had a conversation with Can'thavenuthingood... for anyone who has yet to speak with him, this man is as good as they come. One of these days we'll be telling you about these big, white-meat catfish we caught out of the Aqueduct...

Some ideas he and I discussed for your consideration and comment:

1. Would there be any value in having some large printed trade show bags made? Figure $0.78/EA (qty 250) plus die setup and color(s); if anyone can get these cheaper, please let me know.

2. Going back to the giveaway tees, Can'thave brought up hats as a cost-neutral option. That said: let's say that 10-20 male and female items would be given away per day at a gun show/event and worn the remainder of their visit- what will give us the most traction and exposure? What will go "beyond the walls" and be worn at the range, at the mall, grocery store?

3. Further, he made an excellent point about ladies' attire being particularly difficult to "one size fits all". How do we best address the women's attire angle? One thing guys, please ask your wife/girlfriend/significant other/female neighbor for the answer... if we pick 'em, we'll be wrong (you married guys know what I mean... ;) )!

4. Since we discussed having some tri/bi-folds made, how many would think that using some of them to place on windshields at the events would be effective or prudent?

5. For the techie in all of us... CGF/CGN mousepads?

If you would be so kind as to comment on these ideas (or toss some others into the ring), it would be greatly appreciated!

The goal here is to have something ready to go for the Cow Palace show. Obviously, this is a work in progress; however, I think we will learn much by this first effort.

A big +1, I have a bunch of sticker left over that can be handed out at the next show.
Good guy!

Eric Mayer
01-27-2009, 9:26 PM
Here's what I'm shipping out tomorrow to Can'thavenuthingood for him to check out:

http://www.vintagegraphics.la/miscimages/shirts1.jpg

Like I said, we will be more than happy to donate some full-color, printed banners, as well as some shirts, to the lead folks at some of the events. I need one person, who is coordinating this, to contact us.

Thanks!

wildhawker
01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Here's what I'm shipping out tomorrow to Can'thavenuthingood for him to check out:

Like I said, we will be more than happy to donate some full-color, printed banners, as well as some shirts, to the lead folks at some of the events. I need one person, who is coordinating this, to contact us.

Thanks!

Eric,

I just shot you a PM. Nice work!

Can'thavenuthingood
01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay, I've been following this and thinking, I do that up here in the middle of everywhere.

The Cow Palace show is 28 Feb-1 March and as I just realized, so is the Ventura show.

We have many NorCal Calgunners wanting to get out and make this booth work for 2 days of gun show.

vladbutsky
blisster
wildhawker
dedeye
Swissflucase
FreedomIsNotFree
ARBITER
Wokmaster1
reefer_bob
ivananimal
heyjak

Also some Calgunners wanting to donate items

spddrcr --- banners & decals
Fastfinger--- printed documents
Eric Mayer-- banners
Redhorse--- flow charts
pnkssbtz --- printed materials

And some will bring their firearms.
And some I've missed, its way past my bedtime.

I'm not able to make it up to the show, however I am looking at some Polo shirts for those that go to the show and tend the booth. Something along the lines of a dockers type look rather than camoflage. Just the CGN or CALGUNS.NET or the logo itself, cost will dictate.
As previously mentioned T-shirts shouldn't be worn, first impressions mean alot.

A co-ordinator is needed.
Someone to grab this bull by the horns before it runs out of energy. Someone who can develop a list of things to do, things needed and able to contact everyone with info and followups.

We want this to succeed, if its a half assed attempt, it will be an embarassment to us all. Like ARBITER said, training is going to be important. It has to be co-ordinated.

Maybe someone can put together a FAQ sheet for all to review of what would be the obvious questions by the general public.
What is the FUD out there that will have to be overcome by those at the booth?

Need a Project Manager----------------- step up.

Vick

wildhawker
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Okay, I've been following this and thinking, I do that up here in the middle of everywhere.

The Cow Palace show is 28 Feb-1 March and as I just realized, so is the Ventura show.

We have many NorCal Calgunners wanting to get out and make this booth work for 2 days of gun show.

vladbutsky
blisster
wildhawker
dedeye
Swissflucase
FreedomIsNotFree
ARBITER
Wokmaster1
reefer_bob
ivananimal
heyjak

Also some Calgunners wanting to donate items

spddrcr --- banners & decals
Fastfinger--- printed documents
Eric Mayer-- banners
Redhorse--- flow charts
pnkssbtz --- printed materials

And some will bring their firearms.
And some I've missed, its way past my bedtime.

I'm not able to make it up to the show, however I am looking at some Polo shirts for those that go to the show and tend the booth. Something along the lines of a dockers type look rather than camoflage. Just the CGN or CALGUNS.NET or the logo itself, cost will dictate.
As previously mentioned T-shirts shouldn't be worn, first impressions mean alot.

A co-ordinator is needed.
Someone to grab this bull by the horns before it runs out of energy. Someone who can develop a list of things to do, things needed and able to contact everyone with info and followups.

We want this to succeed, if its a half assed attempt, it will be an embarassment to us all. Like ARBITER said, training is going to be important. It has to be co-ordinated.

Maybe someone can put together a FAQ sheet for all to review of what would be the obvious questions by the general public.
What is the FUD out there that will have to be overcome by those at the booth?

Need a Project Manager----------------- step up.

Vick

Working on it as we speak- I PM'ed Hoffmang, BWiese and Arthurd requesting their input and blessing. They may have someone in mind already; absent that, I'd like to think we can proceed as previously discussed. Eric and I will be touching base on the materials he is producing tomorrow night.

I will give my best in keeping this train going forward and on the right track; I am extremely confident in the commitment and fortitude of those here, and look forward to posting many pictures from Cow Palace once this project has come to fruition.

Can'thave, still more good ideas. I'll make up a summary of some of the tasks we've discussed so far and start resource loading it. It'll be a work in progress, but a start.

We can do this guys, and do it extremely well. This is a perfect storm within which to bring in new shooters and educate non-shooting sympathizers, as well as motivate those old friends who have left our ranks over the years. Think of the recent issues which we can utilize to show the benefits of CFG: Nordyke, NeRFs, Theseus, John Contos. Now more than ever we have the momentum, structure and leadership to push a pro-2A agenda here in CA. We have the luxury of being able to point to recent victories (substantial ones, at that) and others on the horizon to which all CA enthusiasts can relate and will appreciate. In the midst of these challenging times, CGF will bring some tangible results to the RKBA fight, results on which a community so used to being demonized, regulated, banned and bad-mouthed can hang their hat.

I'll start organizing the names, commitments and task information tomorrow, so PM me if there's something not covered so far but should be included in version 1.

Again, many thanks to those who have and continue to push this along, and all those who believe in what can be achieved.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-29-2009, 7:40 PM
Good grief, I'm gone for 2 nights and this is 3 pages back?

Whats happening?

Vick

wildhawker
01-29-2009, 8:48 PM
Good grief, I'm gone for 2 nights and this is 3 pages back?

Whats happening?

Vick

All will be ready in... 2 weeks... ;)

Just like NeRFs, good things are happening (although I think NeRFs are slightly more important, and quite a bit more interesting than fundraising and marketing).

Eric Mayer (a great guy, all, and a tremendous asset to this project and CGN/CGF!) and I are working on some prototypes and proofs which should be coming to fruition early next week.

I'm forecasting that the selected materials will go into production ~Feb 16. I looked into the tradeshow bags, and unless we can do a larger purchase the setup costs swing the unit price out of reach for this show- however, I would LOVE to see this happen at the next one.

So far, Eric will be helping with the banner(s), shirts and possibly other items, and I will be covering the balance of the shirts, hats, copies and anything else we can fit/stretch into the budget. If anyone else is interested in contributing to this effort, please do let me know what you're interested in assisting with so we can plan it in.

This is exciting stuff guys. I fully expect a substantial ROI for CGF from these shows and similar public events, and the long-term effects could be downright huge.

hoffmang
01-29-2009, 9:07 PM
You have blessing. Haven't had time to dig into your PM but will tomorrow.

-Gene

bplvr
01-29-2009, 9:43 PM
OK, I need to know if there are going to be Calguns reps at the Del Mar gun show on Feb 7, because if there are I am sooo there! Please PLEASE let me know!

I would be honored to be allowed to represent CalGuns for Feb.7th and 8th at Del Mar and will pony up $50.00 {table fee} for the opportunity.
I am bplvr and I approved this post.
Please advise .

I hope that Jay La Suer has a table and we could get set up next to him. Awesome !!
Hey Jay, I'll put up $50.00 for your table if you give me some of your bumper stickers!!!
See you at Del Mar ?

Maybe we could get a voter registration table next to Jay's . Sort of a 'one stop shop' for 2A people.

Eric Mayer
01-30-2009, 7:47 PM
Hey bplvr!

That sounds great!!

Please send me a PM with your info so when the banner design is decided on, I can get one to you. If you find that the 2.5' x 6' is too big, please let me know what they will allow.

Thanks!

wildog8812
01-31-2009, 5:55 PM
Let me know how this all works out...I would be willing to do one in Fresno if i could get help.

Gator Monroe
01-31-2009, 5:58 PM
I can help at the Big Reno Gun Show and Redding Gun Show (Volunteer) Load in Load out/Cofee & Donuts...:chris:

Can'thavenuthingood
01-31-2009, 6:45 PM
Let me know how this all works out...I would be willing to do one in Fresno if i could get help.

Looking to have this setup at all gun shows in California.

Regarding Fresno, I can help with that one too, I'm 30 miles south of PRK Arms.

Vick

bplvr
01-31-2009, 7:50 PM
To do this statewide we need a 'central repository' that can refill/send items to the following show co-ordinator .This can be done with a 'order point /order quanity inventory.
First establish what is needed at each show. {a banner, 25 OLL books ,
20 large CGN t-shirts ,bumper stickers ,15 Xtra-large t-shirts, , 60 ladies halter tops in 45 DDD.. etc}
When items are sold the show co-ordinator orders {for the next show }
the items that were sold at their show. These replacement items would be sent to the next 'show co-ordinator' . The banner and misc.items from the previous show would also be sent seperately. The NEXT show
co-ordinator" would have 2 boxes incoming. This just keeps snowballing from one Gun Show to the next. Monies that are spent on fees etc. are deducted prior to sending a check to CGN for the GS .
With a good system in place ,this could be REALLY good for CGN ,the UOC movement,and Ca. CCW.
I will volunteer to be the San Diego /Del Mar G.S. co-ordinator.
Please advise.
bplvr

wildhawker
01-31-2009, 11:52 PM
bplvr, I'll put you down as a coordinator for SD. A centralized ordering/distributions facility may be too much infrastructure for this type of effort and would probably add a few more layers to the onion than are needed at this point. Many folks statewide will be helping to create different types of material (shirts, hats, banners, etc), and to ship in and then ship out would increase costs to produce the events. To begin with we can simply have the local lead person/coordinator take and store the materials, and if the torch must be passed it could (should) be addressed locally (with notice as appropriate).

This is an all-volunteer effort designed to maximize net proceeds to CGF- think KISS method with polo shirts and dockers :) .

Regarding using donations as op inc prior to passing through CGF books- the Board may want to address this itself, but unless otherwise directed by them is not an acceptable practice. This must operate 100% on the up and up (not implying any malice in your suggestion, but many legal, ethical and credibility implications must be considered). As previously addressed, it's been established that donations shall be deposited the same day (possibly next morning if for some reason a late-closing event).

I do agree and firmly believe that these events have the potential to cover their own cost and bring substantial ROI to CGF.

Sorry I have been somewhat quiet and for the choppy post, still compiling notes and planning. I should have a detailed update (and some requests) tomorrow.

Eric Mayer
02-01-2009, 7:28 AM
We've got a couple of banner ideas put-together, so I will shoot that email out tonight (we have to head up to Ojai for a funeral). They are rough ideas and can be changed in any way you guys feel should be changed. The email will go to Can'thavenuthingood and wildhawker for them to critique/change first, then we can move from there.

My only concern is the Del Mar show, as that it coming up fast. bplvr, I will try to contact you tonight and get your details. That way I can get you the banner, etc by Thursday.

Look for the info tonight.

Thanks!

wildhawker
02-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Not to take away from the upcoming Del Mar show, that particular event is coming up very fast and limited time is available to prepare for and organize the exhibit. As much as we all want to see this go live ASAP, I think that it is important to make sure our first impressions are those we want the public (and future contributors) to remember us by.

Will there be a sponsoring FFL or are you planning on a stand-alone booth? The deposit arrangements should be addressed as well (Comerica or check by sponsoring FFL). Gene and Ben have made some key points to keep in mind; let us know how we can help.

Can'thavenuthingood
02-01-2009, 4:33 PM
Yes Del Mar is a short fuse but I think we can get some Calguns stickers down to bplvr.
Also maybe some of Flyliners reference books he can give out to the serious? Its a bit pricey for giveaways though.

Or maybe just some of the posters or pamphlets containing Post #102 info and reference the larger online book?

I'd think starting with 500 pamphlets at Del Mar just to get feedback and critique the operation is a good idea.

Just do the banner, pamphlets and maybe a larger poster of the pamphlets hanging up to point at and teach a bit.
Could do some Calguns stickers as well but then I'd hate to have too much of this stuff scattered around the parking lot and roadway.

Regarding the discussion on moving the quantities around from show to show. We ought might look at pre-positioning a south, central and north points of resupply. Just 3 co-ordinators to start will lessen the burden of having 2 driving all over the state.
Doesn't have to be all at once, just funnel them in as the shows develop.

May have an FFL with a storage space available?

Vick

GrayWolf09
02-01-2009, 4:58 PM
I would be happy to work at a CalGuns booth for a few hours at a gunshow as a volunteer!

technique
02-01-2009, 5:04 PM
I can volunteer in Nor-Cal.

wildhawker
02-01-2009, 5:05 PM
Yes Del Mar is a short fuse but I think we can get some Calguns stickers down to bplvr.
Also maybe some of Flyliners reference books he can give out to the serious? Its a bit pricey for giveaways though.

Agreed, the books would be nice but depending on unit cost may be better suited for a fixed donation amount.

I'd think starting with 500 pamphlets at Del Mar just to get feedback and critique the operation is a good idea.Please don't misunderstand, I am all for pushing forward; good feedback will be critical to the success of these efforts. As they say, first impressions...

Just do the banner, pamphlets and maybe a larger poster of the pamphlets hanging up to point at and teach a bit. Could do some Calguns stickers as well but then I'd hate to have too much of this stuff scattered around the parking lot and roadway. If we could get some large foamboard prints made up (easel?), we'll see where the crowds are drawn.

Regarding the discussion on moving the quantities around from show to show. We ought might look at pre-positioning a south, central and north points of resupply. Just 3 co-ordinators to start will lessen the burden of having 2 driving all over the state. Doesn't have to be all at once, just funnel them in as the shows develop.

Agreed; my take on this would eventually be NORCAL, SF/BAY, SACTO, SJV, LA/OC/IE, SD.

May have an FFL with a storage space available?
Vick

Any and all, please let me know what's out there or possible so I can follow up and add to the list of resources.

wildhawker
02-01-2009, 5:06 PM
I would be happy to work at a CalGuns booth for a few hours at a gunshow as a volunteer!

What area are you located?

bplvr
02-01-2009, 6:03 PM
I am really looking forward to doing this but I feel that getting a class booth together in 5 days and getting everything shipped is just to short notice.
The next Del Mar show is on March 21&22 .We have time to make up a list of 'std.booth items' and get some of the OLL books printed.Flyliner told me he can get them printed in 4 days , plus shipping.These will set us back at least $10.00 a copy. For the wealth of legal info in them a $15.00 donation would be fair. We need a list of types and sizes of shirts,some hats,and get some bumper stickers and discs. We also need to get people commited to man the booth .Two people min. at all times . Do we need someone with an FFL to sponsor us? As you can see there is a lot to do ,and I would sooner go in next month with a well thought out and organized booth than start out all helter skelter.First impressions count. When people walk away from our booth we want them to leave with a shirt ,a smile and excited about getting involved with us.

Flyliner
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I would be cool with $15 per book, the proceeds going to CGF. Let me know when & where to have them shipped and I can get them out. Or you can do it on your own from the link in my sig. Send me a pm if you do, and tell me how many you sold at the show. I would allow a week at least for delivery to be safe.