PDA

View Full Version : Help withNevada Gun Laws?

ZOMBIEHUNTER
01-03-2009, 2:15 PM
Hey Calgunners I just moved to Nevada in November of this years from Vallejo in the SF Bay I went to Cabelas and was told it is 90 days residency to buy a gun today i went to another shop and was told six months residency and i need 6 utility bills to prove I have searched online and cant find a straight answer does anyone here know Iam starting to see people in Nevada are alot slower then us Ca people

Pronghorn
01-03-2009, 2:24 PM
I'm moving to NV as well. Hopefully within a year. I talked to several different gun shops about buying guns after I move and they said "just bring in your ID". I assume you are in the Reno area. Go to Bizarre Guns. Real cool people.

Yes, NV people are alot more laid back, and simple. That's the reason I want to move.

If you don't mind me asking, what town did you move to, and what industry are you in? I'm weighing my options as we speak. I have property near Winnemucca, but there's not much in the way of good paying jobs there.

totenkopf
01-03-2009, 2:45 PM

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2009, 2:48 PM
...I went to Cabelas and was told it is 90 days residency to buy a gun today i went to another shop and was told six months residency and i need 6 utility bills to prove...

Are you a US citizen?

ZOMBIEHUNTER
01-03-2009, 2:54 PM
yes

hk-p2000
01-03-2009, 2:59 PM
I was working in the strip this past September at the Vdara Hotel. but yes there are kick back. but theres nothing to do there, well I needed to know the city.

Pvt. Cowboy
01-03-2009, 3:00 PM
Hey Calgunners I just moved to Nevada in November of this years from Vallejo in the SF Bay I went to Cabelas and was told it is 90 days residency to buy a gun today i went to another shop and was told six months residency and i need 6 utility bills to prove I have searched online and cant find a straight answer does anyone here know Iam starting to see people in Nevada are alot slower then us Ca people

It's 90 days for state residency.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2009, 3:11 PM
It's 90 days for state residency.

The 90 days for State residency requirement does not apply to U.S. citizens.

I'm wondering if the OP brought up the subject that he was from California first and then the Dealers just got confused. Why would they even mention residency if you have a Nevada ID?

The first time I went to Nevada with my C&R FFL, I asked every Dealer, "Will you sell me this C&R firearm since I have a C&R FFL?" and 90% of them said, "Ummmm.......NO!"

The second time I went to Nevada with my C&R FFL, I told every Dealer, "I'll take this gun! And I have an FFL." and 90% of them said, "that will be $xxx.xx"

VegasND
01-03-2009, 3:55 PM
American Shooters told me that along with other lies when I moved here long ago; as a consequence I have never purchased anything from that S**thole. I did, however, go to a real gunstore and bought myself a pistol later that day.

Pvt. Cowboy
01-03-2009, 6:39 PM
The 90 days for State residency requirement does not apply to U.S. citizens.

For good reasons, I'm not getting into it.

journeyman
01-03-2009, 7:07 PM
so just walk in a gun store get want you want and walk away whistling:)

Vin496
01-03-2009, 7:22 PM
All you need is you Nevada ID. If you got that your good to go.

You native California guys are always so freaked out when you go to a "free" State. Just go in say I want this or that, fill out the Federal Form, wait the lousy 2 minutes to get a reply, pay and walk out with the gun. If you have bought one in California before, you'll be in the system and you'll be approved instantly. At most they'll want to photocopy your ID.

If you go in there blabbing about hey I just moved here, can I get a gun? In California we need blah blah blah. Then you invite scrutiny.

If you have your Nevada ID(DL or ID card) you can go get a gun.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
For good reasons, I'm not getting into it.

We won't ask you to "get into it", but please stop spreading this "90 days for State residency" BS. This isn't the first time you've done it here either.

You can "get into it" and post the relevant law to back it up, as you've been asked to in the past, or you can stop posting nonsense.

Either way is fine.

The Feds have no 90 day requirement for U.S. citizens, and Nevada has no 31 day requirement for residency. Nevada does require 30 or 31 days of residency before you can vote, but by definition you are already a resident during that waiting period.

MP301
01-04-2009, 1:02 AM
Im not sure who told me this, but I think it was a Nevada CCW instructor, but is it true that when you buy a gun for the first time in Nevada that there is a 72 hour waiting period? ... To Clarify, im not saying your first Nevada purchase, but maybe your first ever gun purchase (in the DOJ system)?

domokun
01-04-2009, 1:51 AM
Im not sure who told me this, but I think it was a Nevada CCW instructor, but is it true that when you buy a gun for the first time in Nevada that there is a 72 hour waiting period? ... To Clarify, im not saying your first Nevada purchase, but maybe your first ever gun purchase (in the DOJ system)?

I believe what the instructor is referring to is the "Blue Card" program in Clark County....

ldivinag
01-04-2009, 1:52 AM

ban please...

reason: showing off...

lol...jk...

check out:

http://www.nevadashooters.com/

VegasND
01-04-2009, 7:02 AM
... in Nevada that there is a 72 hour waiting period? ...

NO. In Nevada, you buy your handgun, rifle, or shotgun and walk out the door. ONLY in Clark County - you must wait 72 hours to take possession of your 1st handgun purchase. You will be given a blue card along with the handgun. For all subsequent purchases, you present your blue card and you can take immediate possession along with a blue card for your new purchase.

Stupid, stupid regulation...

MP301
01-05-2009, 2:17 AM
NO. In Nevada, you buy your handgun, rifle, or shotgun and walk out the door. ONLY in Clark County - you must wait 72 hours to take possession of your 1st handgun purchase. You will be given a blue card along with the handgun. For all subsequent purchases, you present your blue card and you can take immediate possession along with a blue card for your new purchase.

Stupid, stupid regulation...

Thanks for the clarification. The instructor was off-duty LVMPD and didnt say that it was only Clark County.

Im still movin to Vrgas damit, as soon as I convince the better half!

randy
01-06-2009, 2:03 AM
When I was a kid getting my first hunting license I remember you had to be a resident of 90 days to get a resident license.

fairfaxjim
01-06-2009, 9:30 AM
The actual statutes for the Nevada STATE firearms laws are available here:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html

These don't include the Clark County BS rules.

Also, be careful of stuff on some web sites with gun law info - I have found a lot of it to be out of date, or just plain wrong. One has it that Nevada does not recognize "out of state CCW permits."

perc71
01-22-2009, 2:49 PM
Since you moved to NV. I would assume that you are also employed in that state and If you drive in NV or any state; that state WILL require you to have a DL in the state that you reside. Proof of residency for at least 90 days?? never heard of such a requirement. 1 utility bill and a proof that you are employed in NV will get you a DL. If you bought a house there, even better show them your mortgage papers. Reno/ Sparks area are cash and carry counties, Clark county 3 day waiting period for the 1st handgun and you get a blue card then the subsequent purchases will be cash and carry as well. Buying guns in NV is streamline = 5 min background check, pay up and pick up your gun same day. BTW Sig PRO 2022 9mm version is on sale at Cabelas for a ridiculous price of $499. WOW!!!!!:eek:

RobG
01-22-2009, 2:56 PM
NV has gun laws:eek: I had no idea:D

ZOMBIEHUNTER
01-22-2009, 2:57 PM
I found out its company policy in different stores. Cabelas wouldnt sell to me without proof of 90 day but Scheels had no problem with it.I have a complete Armalite coming my way in March.

6172crew
01-22-2009, 2:58 PM
I walked up and bought a handgun the day I got my NV DL.:) I started a Form1 for a SBR the second day.

JamesY
01-22-2009, 3:04 PM
Alright, here's what you do.

When you move there (Vegas), make sure you bring any handgun that you already own. First thing to do is go to the nearest LVMPD and register the handgun (they'll give you a "Blue "Card"). From there, go to the DMV and turn in your CA DL or I'd and get a NV DL/ID. From there, you can buy whatever legal gun you want. You don't need to wait the 72hr for a handgun since you registered that handgun I told you about earlier.

Easy, isn't it? And background checks only take 15 min and you can be at the range with your new toy 10 min later. Do a search on LV gunshops. My favorites are Discount Firearms, Henderson Defense and Black Rifle Armory. All great guys. Good luck!!

Pvt. Cowboy
01-22-2009, 3:12 PM
We won't ask you to "get into it", but please stop spreading this "90 days for State residency" BS. This isn't the first time you've done it here either.

You can "get into it" and post the relevant law to back it up, as you've been asked to in the past, or you can stop posting nonsense.

For good reason I'm not getting into it, you can see that several others have posted the same experience in their NV purchase attempts of retail firearms...

... While others haven't.

I'll leave it at that and be perfectly willing to stand aside and just watch what happens to people. Don't worry, probably nothing will ever ever come of it.

tombinghamthegreat
01-22-2009, 3:53 PM
Hey look in to NV open carry laws...

Mssr. Eleganté
01-22-2009, 8:56 PM
For good reason I'm not getting into it, you can see that several others have posted the same experience in their NV purchase attempts of retail firearms...

... While others haven't.

I'll leave it at that and be perfectly willing to stand aside and just watch what happens to people. Don't worry, probably nothing will ever ever come of it.

Do not worry friend. In but a half-score years from this next new moon, a child will be born. He shall be the chosen one, and shall replace you as the Keeper of Nevada Gun Law FUD. Your secret burden will be lifted.

DarkHorse
01-22-2009, 9:26 PM
Do not worry friend. In but a half-score years from this next new moon, a child will be born. He shall be the chosen one, and shall replace you as the Keeper of Nevada Gun Law FUD. Your secret burden will be lifted.

:rofl2:

NiteQwill
01-22-2009, 9:30 PM
All you need is an ID (Nevada or surrounding state other than California) and some cash. Then you carry out the store. (Unless you are in crooked Clark County, then you need a silly blue card.)

gunsmith
01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I never hear of any wait for anything the 5 years I lived there, except it took 120 days to get ccw.
Heck, even in Vegas you can private party sales, just look in the classified adds

markw
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Also, be careful of stuff on some web sites with gun law info - I have found a lot of it to be out of date, or just plain wrong.

You must be talking about the CA DOJ/AG site with it's "series regardless of mfg crap.." http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/mad.gif