View Full Version : Newb in San Jose

01-03-2009, 1:14 PM
Hi folks, I've been lurking for a couple weeks now reading up on a lot of the great discussion threads here. I decided to join and say hello before I start letting the posts fly :thumbsup:

I grew up on the East coast on a farm, and my dad who was also a marksman in the army taught us to shoot while growing up. He has all sorts of guns now, from a black powder he built himself all the way through to a Bushmaster AR.

While I'm no stranger to shooting, I don't actually know that much about guns if that makes sense. I've lived here in Silicon Valley for 11 years now and I'm finally looking to get back to shooting so get ready for a whole lot of questions.

What I'm looking at putting together is a Mossberg 590 tactical, a handgun or too (have a Sig P226 back home), an AR rifle, and a long range gun like a Rem 700 variant or something. I figure that covers it pretty well and that list should keep me busy for the next few years.

Any tips on good local gun shops and ranges are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Uncle Jess
01-03-2009, 7:59 PM
I've shot at Target Masters indoor range/gun shop in Milpitas just 20 min. from San Jose. They have a wide range of new/used pistols and rifles/shotguns to choose from. Then there's Reed's indoor range and gun shop. They too have a good selection of fiearms and accesories. And The Gun Exchange also in SJ is a small gun shop but seems to stock a good selection of New/Used pistols and long guns. Hope this helps.

01-03-2009, 9:22 PM
The Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View is good, I don't really like SJ Gun Exchange because they won't give prices over the phone, which is weak considering it means I have to drive 30 minutes over HWY 17 just to see if they are ripping me off. Los Altos Rod and Gun Club is nice, and there is some decent BLM land for shooting on below King City if you ever get that far south. I recommend buying guns from Calgun members, every transaction I have had through here has been great, and all the people I have met face to face have been first rate.

Welcome to CG from another newb,

01-04-2009, 12:06 AM
welcome and howdy neighbor!

nearby ranges in sj:
indoor - reed's, target masters
outdoor - metcalf, los altos rod & gun club, sunnyvale rod & gun club

nearby shops in sj:
sj gun exchange
sportsman's supply
reed's indoor range (santa clara)
bay area gun vault (mtn view)
irvington arms (fremont)