PDA

View Full Version : PRK Arms will DROS any frame/receiver as a long gun

PRKArms
01-02-2009, 8:50 PM
You heard it here first . . . we will DROS any frame/receiver that

is not listed by make and model, and
if it has a barrel attached, is compliant with federal and CA length requirements (16" barrel & 30" OAL for semi autos)

as a long gun. A frame/receiver is just that. It will go down on the 4473 as an "other firearm" and in the DROS as a long gun (only cause we have to choose either hand or long gun and we're not comfortable doing them as hand guns yet - pretty soon tho - TWO WEEKS!! ;) ).

Purchasers must be aware that any frame or receiver DROS'd as a long gun must never be constructed as anything but a CA-legal long gun if it is put together in CA.

IF it is a "virgin" frame/receiver that has never been constructed as a rifle, and you don't do it in CA, then sell it out of state in still "never been a rifle" status, it could probably be built up as a pistol in another state.

Transfers on these will be $75 + DROS for the first and $40 for each add'l. Since they will be DROS'd as long guns you can have as many as you want on one DROS.

Questions are welcome here or you can email or call the shop.

ProlificARProspect
01-02-2009, 8:51 PM
:hurray:

Experimentalist
01-02-2009, 9:22 PM
What are the consequences if one were to build a pistol on a frame that was DROSed as a long gun?

I absolutely, positively have no interest in doing this. But it might be useful for the jagged cliffs to be fully illuminated in case one of our gentle readers were to get adventurous.

Would a person who built a pistol on said "long gun" DROSed frame be guilty of constructing a short barreled rifle?

hoffmang
01-02-2009, 9:26 PM
What are the consequences if one were to build a pistol on a frame that was DROSed as a long gun?

Would a person who built a pistol on said "long gun" DROSed frame be guilty of constructing a short barreled rifle?

You would be directly exposed to a Federal felony prosecution for possessing an unregistered Short Barreled Rifle.

Suffice it to say that the CGF (or most anyone else) would not be able to help finance that long slog to the Supreme Court...

-Gene

ohsmily
01-02-2009, 9:39 PM
so, when will handguns be done

PolishMike
01-02-2009, 9:45 PM
wait, I don't get it. How is this different than anything before?

Obviously a Plant
01-02-2009, 9:48 PM
So if i found a company that made something like an Uzi (but unlisted) with a 16" barrel and enough stock for a 30" OAL, you would dross the frame for me trusting that I would assemble it in a legal manner? And doing so you guys are not like any other California FFL because you have no bias against scary looking stuff or am I missing something more significant? Please enlighten me....

Seesm
01-02-2009, 9:56 PM
So if I want to do two one as a pistol and one as a std rifle we are golden!!????????????? Just curious.

hoffmang
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Rifles on "pistol" frames are now. NRF's are quite soon but a few more days.

-Gene

thedrickel
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
so, when will handguns be done

Two weeks!!! :hide:

wait, I don't get it. How is this different than anything before?

The background info is here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=135954

PRK Arms will DROS any frame (think 1911, glock, etc), whether it has previously been a handgun or is still a "virgin" receiver, as a long gun as long as it's not listed and the purchaser agrees that it will be built only as a long gun in CA.

So if i found a company that made something like an Uzi (but unlisted) with a 16" barrel and enough stock for a 30" OAL, you would dross the frame for me trusting that I would assemble it in a legal manner? And doing so you guys are not like any other California FFL because you have no bias against scary looking stuff or am I missing something more significant? Please enlighten me....

That wouldn't be a problem. A few other FFL's would probably do it as well.

So if I want to do two one as a pistol and one as a std rifle we are golden!!????????????? Just curious.

Yes, at some yet to be determined time in the near future. You could do one as a pistol every 30 days (w/ C&R & COE you can do as many as you want), and as many long guns as you want at any time.

LOW2000
01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
This brought up an interesting thought in my mind:

I buy a lower and DROS it as a long gun. Some day, I decide to sell said lower and the next person DROS's it as a pistol.

What happens?

IMC87
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
OMG OMG OMG...THE NeRF REVOLUTION IS NIGH!!!!! :tt1:

Jpach
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
LOW, the scenario you posted is not possible. Once a rifle, always a rifle. Sucks dont it?

Fantasma
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I been hearing 2 Weeks for a while! Does the 2 weeks ever change? or in the next week will it still be 2 Weeks?

2 WEEKS!!!!!!

hoffmang
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I been hearing 2 Weeks for a while! Does the 2 weeks ever change? or in the next week will it still be 2 Weeks?

2 WEEKS!!!!!!

2 Weeks has been the mantra for about three years...

-Gene

ivanimal
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I will be going on a diet in 2 weeks.:o

hoffmang
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I will be going on a diet in 2 weeks.:o

How many frames can you afford on food savings alone in 2 and a half weeks?

-Gene

Fantasma
01-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Alright guys I will check back in 2 WEEKS!

ke6guj
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
LOW, the scenario you posted is not possible. Once a rifle, always a rifle. Sucks dont it?
But a long gun does not have to mean rifle.

Think about this, LOW buys a 1911 receiver and DROSes it as a long gun and puts it in the safe for later. "2 weeks" finally comes and we can DROS NeRFs. Years go by and LOW decides to thin his collection. He forgets that that stripped 1911 frame that he never assembled was DROSed as a long gun and does a PPT for it at a dealer. It easily could end up DROSed as a handgun, or "other" if DROS is updated, if LOW does not specifically tell the dealer that it is a long gun.

Or, an even worse scenario, a guy buys a 1911 frame DROSes as a long gun and dies. His widow, who knows nothing about guns, is disposing of his collection and sells the 1911 frame. Who wants to bet that it wouldn't be DROSed as a handgun?

Obviously a Plant
01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
What frames with barrels & stocks are out there that meet the bbl & OAL requirements? Glock carbines? 1911 carbines? how about the Beretta CX-4 with a butt-plate spacer?

adamsreeftank
01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm glad to hear you will DROS any Off List Lower, but I'm still waiting for a big announcement.

thedrickel
01-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm glad to hear you will DROS any Off List Lower, but I'm still waiting for a big announcement.

The BIG announcement is coming in a week or two. We just felt it'd nice to throw it out there that we will DROS anything as a long gun - whether it is normally considered a "handgun" frame or not . . . . has no bearing on what it actually is. ;)

Do you know of any other FFL's that will DROS you a Glock or 1911 frame as a long gun?

adamsreeftank
01-03-2009, 2:36 PM

Do you know of any other FFL's that will DROS you a Glock or 1911 frame as a long gun?

I never thought to ask :D

kermit
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Am I correct that a 1911 carbine would be considered an AW unless it had a bullet button or some other magazine lock, i.e. semi-auto rifle with pistol grip and detachable magazie = AW?

(Or is that going away in "two weeks", too?:))

Thank you for your replies.

ke6guj
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
correct, without a mag-lock, a semi-auto 1911 carbine would be an AW.

And No, it isn't going away in "two weeks" when the NeRF option becomes available. Maybe "two weeks" after we get incorporation with Nordyke.

9M61
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I thought I recalled a law stating that dealerships could only charge $10 for a transfer fee (on top of dros).

Or is that just a PPT?

ke6guj
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
that is just for PPTs, which is between two unlicensed CA residents who both go to the dealer at the same time.

PRKarms is offering a transfer service, which is not limited to $35, like PPTs are.

adamsreeftank
01-14-2009, 4:53 PM
I thought I recalled a law stating that dealerships could only charge $10 for a transfer fee (on top of dros).

Or is that just a PPT?

Some dealers (I won't name names) may add a handling charge on top of the $10.

walkingtall
01-23-2009, 3:27 PM
PRK Arms ,
I would like to know if you accepting order to build compliant AK . I called the #'s on the web and left couples messages . Please let me know or PM me .
Thanks.

slappomatt
02-24-2009, 3:48 PM
I dont see the point? why sell something that is almost impossible to build into a legal firearm? I'm all for OLL's and "stickin' it to the man" but what can you do with a 1911 frame drosed as a long gun? enlighten me?

DB2
02-24-2009, 3:53 PM
You can build a 1911 carbine. 16"+ barrel, buttstock. Lock the mag and get it over 30" and your GTG. It's some peoples cup of tea.:cool:

PRKArms
02-24-2009, 3:54 PM
PRK Arms ,
I would like to know if you accepting order to build compliant AK . I called the #'s on the web and left couples messages . Please let me know or PM me .
Thanks.

We are currently building out a new facility, we will start accepting new build orders once we have the heavy tooling in place and all the necessary paperwork from the various regulatory agencies.

Please call us at the shop during business hours and we'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Our phone message system seems to be rather hit or miss (we're working on tracking down whats up), until that gets sorted its best to either speak with a live person or send us an email.

MAILMAN187
02-24-2009, 3:56 PM
This is good.

PRKArms
02-24-2009, 3:58 PM
I dont see the point? why sell something that is almost impossible to build into a legal firearm? I'm all for OLL's and "stickin' it to the man" but what can you do with a 1911 frame drosed as a long gun? enlighten me?

There are a number of interesting things which can be done with various pistol frames, the 1911 can be built with a sharkfin grip (grip safety disabled and the fin welded to the mainspring housing) with detachable magazines of any capacity in conjunction with the mechtech carbine conversion.

you can also use it as the basis for ao high end single shot conversion (they make a number of them with barrel lengths over 16 inches and they make stocks which dovetail into the mainspring housing)

The only limit is the letter of the law and your imagination.

MAILMAN187
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
GUNSHOW! GUNSHOW! GUNSHOW!

sorry, that was the OLDE ENGLISH 800 talkin....

Some Guy
02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
So i can get a charger and build a 10/22?

:rofl2: