PDA

View Full Version : Legal to buy air/pellet gun and ship to CA?

drk421
01-02-2009, 6:54 PM
Are air/pellet guns legal to buy online and have shipped to CA from out of state?

Do you have to go through an FFL? (I know, it sounds ridiculous, but this IS California).

Also, with regards as to shooting them, are they considered firearms? (is it based on what material they shoot, caliber, projectile speed, etc..)

I'm looking at getting a .22 that shoots about 1000 ft/sec.

Thanks

hawk1
01-02-2009, 6:57 PM
no ffl required for pellet guns. :)

Check city/county ordinance to see if legal to shoot in your area. Usually they are but might have an age limit.

Jpach
01-02-2009, 6:57 PM
Pellet rifles are legal to buy online and they do not require an FFL under any circumstance. There MAY be some local ordinances prohibiting the discharging of pellet rifles, but other than that ordering should be ok, unless your county prohibits them, which I highly doubt. I shoot my pellet gun in my backyard all the time.

nooner
01-02-2009, 7:05 PM
Pellet rifles are legal to buy online and they do not require an FFL under any circumstance. There MAY be some local ordinances prohibiting the discharging of pellet rifles, but other than that ordering should be ok, unless your county prohibits them, which I highly doubt. I shoot my pellet gun in my backyard all the time.+3

Where are you ordering yours from and what are you getting?

I suggest visiting an airgun specific forum and doing some reading before plopping your money down on something. It's a rough crowd at times there but the guys that post there have a LOT of experience with airguns. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

tygerpaw
01-02-2009, 7:08 PM
Certain vendors will not sell airguns or even replicas to CA. Sportsmansguide comes to mind. They suck.....

drk421
01-02-2009, 7:58 PM
+3

Where are you ordering yours from and what are you getting?
[/url]

Was looking on: http://www.pyramydair.com/

I'm in the market for a .22 just under subsonic speed ~850-1000ft/s.

Just a plinker.

elsolo
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I have mail ordered pellet guns from Pyramyd air and had them shipped to CA, no problems there.

Remember, Pyramyd air has either free shipping OR 10% off coupon codes, decide which is worth more before ordering.

Their "buy 3 get one free" deal on pellets is pretty good too.

Jpach
01-03-2009, 12:55 AM
What price range are you looking to shop in for your .22 pellet rifle drk421? I have decent knowledge on pellet rifles and have a few from a few different manufacturers. Also, I dont know if its Pyramid Air or not but on one site I was able to score extra free pellets by ordering some free sample thing and tricking the system to make it think I bought X amount of pellets, so in total I scored an AZZ LOAD!!! Learn how to work it, cuz its worth it...k Im done :thumbsup:

nooner
01-03-2009, 1:25 AM
Was looking on: http://www.pyramydair.com/Pyramid sucks but they have good prices if it is even in stock.

I'm in the market for a .22 just under subsonic speed ~850-1000ft/s.

Just a plinker.It is easy to get a .177 to do 850-1000fps but not so easy to get a .22 to go that fast without spending money. Most manufacturers claimed specs are BS, especially the cheaper springer type airguns like gamo.

How much are you looking to spend? If you are looking at a cheap springer you are better off going with a Benjamin pumper and get it from Mac1 in SoCal. That will last you a lifetime and shoot better than more expensive and finicky springer airguns.

I have an FX Cyclone and AA S410 Carbine both in .22. If you go with something like those I suggest AoA, TopGun and Pomona Airguns.

AlexBreya
01-03-2009, 1:31 AM
if you want to be a boss like me, get an Airforce Condor .22. mine goes 1200 fps with 28 grain pellets. kinda spendy, but its worth it. very accurate (never tried 100 yrds, but i can get less than 1 inch at 50 yrds). it says only around 15 high powered shots per fill, but i'm getting about 30-60 high powered shots.

nooner
01-03-2009, 1:33 AM
I've shot just about every pellet made. For pellets I only use JSB Exacts. In .22 I order the 5.52mm ones and they shoot extremely well in all 4 of my .22 airguns. You'll spend more on JSB's but they are worth it.

nooner
01-03-2009, 1:38 AM
if you want to be a boss like me, get an Airforce Condor .22. mine goes 1200 fps with 28 grain pellets.Don't take this the wrong way but AF is a budget pcp and I seriously doubt yours shoots 28gr eun-jins that fast unless it was modded.

MadMex
01-03-2009, 6:30 AM
I special ordered a 22 cal RWS from Cabela’s. No problem.

drk421
01-03-2009, 8:18 PM
I was looking at the RWS 350 Magnum in .22, claims about 1000ft/sec.

My price range is $400-$500.

MadMex
01-03-2009, 8:38 PM

My price range is $400-$500.

That's exactly what I ordered.

nooner
01-03-2009, 9:50 PM

My price range is $400-$500.The RWS 350 is a big and heavy spring piston airgun. Being a springer it is hold sensitive which means you have to hold it exactly the same every time or its POI will change. It is called a magnum springer. If you intend to use a scope you will need special scope mounts and you will have to buy a special "airgun" rated scope which is expensive. It shoots 1000fps but it does so ONLY with the absolute lightest pellets made by RWS. Manufacturers like to prey on the consumer by marketing it with outrageous velocity claims. A standard .22 caliber pellet weighs about 14.3gr which is much heavier than the 11.9gr hobby pellet they used to claim 1000fps.

IMHO a much better airgun is a Benjamin 392 with Steroid Extended Billet Tune for $260.00 from Mac1 Airguns. http://www.mac1airgun.com/retailprices.htm If you want to step up from that I would do something like the new Benjamin Discovery Rifle, Pump & Scope Combo which is a PCP. I would get both from Mac1 because Tim goes through each one he sells and replaces known problem components that others don't. Pyramid just sells you what's in the box, Mac1 changes orings and shoots it so when you get it the thing works.

Stay away from springers, especially magnum springers, because they are finicky. Been there, done that. A pre-charged pneumatic is much easier to shoot but can be loud unless it has adjustable power or a shroud. A pumper like a benjamin or cheap crosman (which work great and don't cost much by the way) can be pumped once or twice and it is very quiet yet very accurate and can be pumped multiple times for more power if needed. Springers are ok if you send them out to be modified which usually means a reduction of shooting speed to make them smooth and accurate, unless you buy a nice shooting springer like an R7.

Read through this site. http://www.straightshooters.com/

Use my money spending mistakes to save yourself money. I was shooting pellet guns long before the internet info we have today and didn't know others who shot pellet guns so I found out the hard way. If you are considering a springer I would buy something else, even a cheap crosman pumper before I would buy a springer.

If you want a really nice airgun that will shoot MOA at 100 yards something from Air Arms or FX will fit the bill nicely. Mine shoot literally 1 hole, dime sized groups at 50 yards easily, all day, no joke. They cost around 1000 bucks but they are the BMW's of pellet guns and no springer compares nor do most airguns.

That's my 25 cents from 30+ years of airgun shooting experience and you are welcome to take or leave it. Hope I helped,

drk421
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Can you use the lead free ammo in the Benjamin 392?
I'd probably want something that can take varmints.

MadMex
01-04-2009, 2:15 PM
The RWS 350 is a big and heavy spring piston airgun. Being a springer it is hold sensitive which means you have to hold it exactly the same every time or its POI will change. It is called a magnum springer. If you intend to use a scope you will need special scope mounts and you will have to buy a special "airgun" rated scope which is expensive.
What ring/scope combination do you rec for the RWS 350? Over 90% of my shots will be inside of 75 yards... jack rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and an occasional raccoon. Is a 900+ fps 22 cal sufficient for a humane kill of these vermin?

nooner
01-04-2009, 2:50 PM
Can you use the lead free ammo in the Benjamin 392?
I'd probably want something that can take varmints.Airgun barrels are soft compared to firearms. I wouldn't shoot them from my airguns though but if you are going to get the 392 I would call Tim at Mac1 and ask him what he thinks about it.

I prefer lead pellets for hunting as they deform and hit much harder. I use JSB Exacts for hunting and long range shooting.

jamesob
01-04-2009, 3:20 PM
not yet but the doj is most likely working on it.

nooner
01-04-2009, 3:26 PM
What ring/scope combination do you rec for the RWS 350?On my C1 which is a low powered springer I had a 2 piece mount. On my medium-heavy powered springer I went with a Beeman one piece mount. The mount and scope never moved but the springer recoil ate my scope after about 1500 pellets. I sold it after that and went with PCP airguns.

Guys that shoot magnum springers regularly use the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR (cha-ching but that scope will last). Some don't shoot as much and cheaper scopes work for them. If you get a 350 do yourself a favor and spend the money to have it tuned. The recoil will be less and it will be smoother then you can spend less on a scope, but you still take your chances with it eating the scope, LOL. Good info here and less typing for me.:) http://www.straightshooters.com/rws/r350pricing.html

There is something else you need to be aware of as well. Springers have "droop" which means their barrels point slightly downward, some more and some less. The scope on my RWS ran out of adjustment (common on springers) so my mount had to be machined. A lot of other guys I know just bend the barrel but I'm not of the neanderthal mindset.

Over 90% of my shots will be inside of 75 yards... jack rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and an occasional raccoon. Is a 900+ fps 22 cal sufficient for a humane kill of these vermin?The RWS350 will probably shoot around 800fps with 14.3gr pellets. I've taken skunks, raccoon and possum and IMO headshots should be the goal. Drops them like a bad habit with a good head shot. Don't miss and wound a skunk though, LOL.

Jpach
01-04-2009, 4:16 PM
Nooner, I did not experience the extreme inaccuracy that you did with springer rifles. I have a gamo hunter extreme, some other gamo, and a RWS 52 in .22 and none of them have rediculous inaccuracy. The only real issues that I came across were with the scopes. Sometimes the rifle would shoot in one place and all of a sudden I would have to adjust again. Every once in a great while the same would happen with iron sights but after the adjustments the POI would be consistent. I sure would like to try one of those pneumatic ones tho :43:

MadMex
01-04-2009, 4:25 PM
Guys that shoot magnum springers regularly use the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR (cha-ching but that scope will last).
I was ready to buy until Midway barked "Status: Discontinued by Manufacturer" What's up with that?

BTW, thanks for all the info and link.

nooner
01-04-2009, 5:08 PM
Nooner, I did not experience the extreme inaccuracy that you did with springer rifles. I have a gamo hunter extreme, some other gamo, and a RWS 52 in .22 and none of them have rediculous inaccuracy. The only real issues that I came across were with the scopes. Sometimes the rifle would shoot in one place and all of a sudden I would have to adjust again. Every once in a great while the same would happen with iron sights but after the adjustments the POI would be consistent. I sure would like to try one of those pneumatic ones tho :43:I did not mean it to sound like springers are extremely inaccurate because they shoot just fine, however, they have their idiosyncrasies. And the more power you try to get out of a springer the more pronounced they are. If you are shooting for something the size of a dime at 30 yards, typical kill zone size for pellet gun quarry, I would say that in general is not an easy task with a springer. It can be done and people do it every day. In the hands of someone that shoots occasionally, and doesn't practice much, the results are usually disappointing and the person ends up getting frustrated and not continuing the hobby, which is a shame.

Scope issues and POI issues are the most common problems with springers. Don't say I didn't tell you so if someone wants to buy a magnum springer, LOL. Getting your springer tuned helps a lot to reduce that but then now you've spent even more money over and above the cost of the airgun.

Multi pump pneumatics and PCPs are not hard on scopes and the money you save in the scope and mount can be put toward getting a better airgun or accessories. Even if you don't practice much you will have less difficulty with pumper or PCP because it has less built-in natural "idiosyncrasies" to begin with and shoot more like a real gun does than a springer.

I would not recommend a magnum springer for someone's first airgun. If you've shot springers before, are familiar with hold sensitivity, and willing to put up with the inherent springer issues, then by all means buy a springer. I still recommend a PCP or multi-pump pneumatic over a springer any day of the week. You would be really surprised what a $60 Crosman pumper can do.