PDA

View Full Version : California's Bad Santa Exposes Failure Of Gun Control Laws

lioneaglegriffin
01-02-2009, 9:07 AM
California's Bad Santa Exposes Failure Of Gun Control Laws
Author: Chad D. Baus, Buckeye Firearms Association
December 31, 2008

By Chad D. Baus, Buckeye Firearms Association

News of a man dressing up in a Santa suit and murdering nine people in Los Angeles on Christmas Eve dominated cable news headlines for days after the event. News reports suggest Bruce Pardo took as many as four handguns and a homemade flame-thrower to the home of his ex-wife's parents, where at least 25 people were enjoying a Christmas Eve party. Pardo shot at partygoers and burned down the house, murdering at least nine people before committing suicide hours later.

Damage from the flames has thus far prevented officials from determining how many of the victims were shot to death, but hasn't stopped the gun ban lobby from attempting to capitalize on the tragedy.

Less than 48 hours after the attack occurred, the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence issued a press release lamenting the "steady drumbeat of gun deaths and injuries that tears our families and communities apart," and suggesting that our nation's leaders "should do all that is within our power to find solutions to gun violence."

While the Brady press release could be considered somewhat distasteful, the truth is that both sides in the fight over gun rights and crime reduction have and will continue to use these tragedies as teachable moments. In fact, I find myself in agreement with the Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke's statement that "we should not despair and say this kind of violence is inevitable."

Indeed, there is much to be learned from this tragedy, which occurred in a state that has passed every conceivable form of gun control the gun grabbers have promoted, all in the name of reducing the violence.

From the California Attorney General's website:

One month waiting period for gun purchase? Check.

Assault weapons ban? Check.

Handgun registration? Check.

Ban on most private transfers of firearms? Check.

Armor-piercing bullet ban? Check.

Noise suppressor/ "silencer" ban? Check.

.50 caliber rifle ban? Check.

Infrared sight/"Sniperscope" ban? Check.

Ban on projecting a laser sight beam on a person? Check.

Prohibition on concealed carry? Check.*

Large-capacity magazine ban? Check.

Handgun safety certificate requirement? Check.

Mandatory safe storage? Check.

Ban on sale of imitation firearms? Check.

Ban on loaded firearms in public places? Check.

Prohibition on public display of imitation firearms? Check.

http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/California-Bad-Santa-Failure-Gun-Control-Laws_1044-1.html?ET=gunreports:e323:145877a:&st=email

PonchoTA
01-02-2009, 9:18 AM
Has anybody yet asked the question that begs to be asked?
How many of those people would still be alive if just ONE of them had been armed and shot back at the bad guy? If he had been taken out (or at least stopped) at the beginning, would more lives have been saved?

I'll bet that the answer would not have been in the Brady's best interest.

dustoff31
01-02-2009, 9:30 AM
How many of those people would still be alive if just ONE of them had been armed and shot back at the bad guy? If he had been taken out (or at least stopped) at the beginning, would more lives have been saved?

Oh the Brady's have adressed that before. According to them if the victims had been armed, they would have been more likley to shoot themselves than their murderer.

BitterVoter
01-02-2009, 9:37 AM
We have mentioned this elsewhere here and on other boards.

The argument that guns can save people is lost on the anti's unless it is used in the argument that a gun can save a childs life by not existing or is being used by a duly authorized law enforcement officer.

XDshooter
01-02-2009, 9:41 AM
CCW attainable for self defense: NOT CHECKED.

Window_Seat
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh the Brady's have adressed that before. According to them if the victims had been armed, they would have been more likley to shoot themselves than their murderer.

As long as the BC continues this complete nonsense propaganda, we should be in good shape because when the utterly failed GC policies are up for scrutiny in the courts, they are going to step in their own $#|+ with silly little childish statements like that.

Erik; even more optimistic.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
One month waiting period for gun purchase? Check.

Anybody want to tell the original author it's a 10-day wait?

AaronHorrocks
01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I think he ment to point out the "one handgun a month" law.

Blue
01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I think he ment to point out the "one handgun a month" law.

Oh yea, and the fact that NOBODY can see into the future.

yellowfin
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
As long as the BC continues this complete nonsense propaganda, we should be in good shape because when the utterly failed GC policies are up for scrutiny in the courts, they are going to step in their own $#|+ with silly little childish statements like that.Better still if we can make them criminally liable for them.

ElvenSoul
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
What I have not heard....was the gun obtained legaly?

bohoki
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
heck they have the tech to put breathalizers in every car

will that assure no drunk drivers?

laws only affect the law abiding

can we get that on a tee shirt or something?

Splinter
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I love how guns are apparantly the only thing that kills people in the media/anti's eyes. They would save more lives by pushing for breathalizers to be installed on every new car. But, but, but that would just be an insane violation of peoples rights wouldnt it??? Percent of people I know with guns 90%. Number of injuries caused by guns- Zero. Number of friends I have lost to DUI 7. Thats just a quick plain jane stat, but something like that would never make any published fact. Oh how I love the dem/anti controlled media.

thegratenate
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
My stance on the shooting is that if the homeowners would have had even a single gun in their home, the cowardly bastard wouldn't have gone after them.
That tragedy could have been prevented by the simple presence of a coach gun hanging on the wall in the den or a revolver tucked under the mattress. From what I gather the coward went after his former in laws, so I assume that he knew they did not own guns, and therefore their home was just as sage as a school or any other "gun free" zone.

Blue
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
My stance on the shooting is that if the homeowners would have had even a single gun in their home, the cowardly bastard wouldn't have gone after them.
That tragedy could have been prevented by the simple presence of a coach gun hanging on the wall in the den or a revolver tucked under the mattress. From what I gather the coward went after his former in laws, so I assume that he knew they did not own guns, and therefore their home was just as sage as a school or any other "gun free" zone.

Nah. The whole thing was planned out. He would have done it no matter what. Even if there one of the family members was a cop that carried a gun 24/7, that guy would have been the first target.

Window_Seat
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
From the "stories" I've been glancing over, the guns were "purchased" along with ammo, and that's it. I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a news media "blitz" on how "easy" it is to purchase "deadly weapons"...

Erik.

lioneaglegriffin
01-02-2009, 1:44 PM

or be overpowered and shot by their own weapon by the criminal. :rolleyes:

while training is good, shooting a person isn't rocket science otherwise there wouldn't be children soldiers.

Desertfox
01-02-2009, 2:11 PM
I love how guns are apparantly the only thing that kills people in the media/anti's eyes. They would save more lives by pushing for breathalizers to be installed on every new car. But, but, but that would just be an insane violation of peoples rights wouldnt it??? Percent of people I know with guns 90%. Number of injuries caused by guns- Zero. Number of friends I have lost to DUI 7. Thats just a quick plain jane stat, but something like that would never make any published fact. Oh how I love the dem/anti controlled media.
It is very simple why they pushing this anti gun BS., because people with gun called citizen, and people without gun called object. They knows it very well. Our gun is our liberator.

MadMex
01-02-2009, 4:09 PM
You people are missing the point. This would never have happened if red suits were banned.

SkatinJJ
01-02-2009, 4:26 PM

Personally, with the right kind of training, the eight year old who answered the door should have been allowed to open carry-loaded and fire right back at his psycho a**.

Any of the adults could have had the right stuff to do the same.

Sad that people think we're the paranoid one's, when there was a deranged lunatic who could have been stopped by a properly trained and armed citizen.

BitterVoter
01-02-2009, 4:56 PM
Personally I don't believe an 8 yo should be answering the door. He/she may not be able to understand and control the entry of unwanted persons.

Although I am not too paranoid whenever someone knocks on my door unexpectedly I always prepare to defend.

Personally, with the right kind of training, the eight year old who answered the door should have been allowed to open carry-loaded and fire right back at his psycho a**.

Any of the adults could have had the right stuff to do the same.

Sad that people think we're the paranoid one's, when there was a deranged lunatic who could have been stopped by a properly trained and armed citizen.

tygerpaw
01-02-2009, 5:12 PM
It's a good thing no one was armed in that house. It could have escalated the situation and just made it worse.

Let's sing cumbaya..........

redneckshootist
01-02-2009, 5:15 PM
heck they have the tech to put breathalizers in every car

will that assure no drunk drivers?

laws only affect the law abiding

can we get that on a tee shirt or something?

I know someone who has on of those in his car. Every night he goes to the bar gets drunk and pays someone who is sober to blow in the breathalizer so his car will start. He is still driving drunk:rolleyes:

Blue
01-02-2009, 5:17 PM
I know someone who has on of those in his car. Every night he goes to the bar gets drunk and pays someone who is sober to blow in the breathalizer so his car will start. He is still driving drunk:rolleyes:

Yup, I've known more than one person that has done that.

SkatinJJ
01-02-2009, 6:20 PM
Personally I don't believe an 8 yo should be answering the door. He/she may not be able to understand and control the entry of unwanted persons.

Although I am not too paranoid whenever someone knocks on my door unexpectedly I always prepare to defend.

That's a great point.

I rarely have my 9 year-old daughter answer the door, but I have taught her to say, "No Warrant, No Entry!"

It's the wife unit I'm concerned with allowing all sorts of rif-raf into the house.

bernieb90
01-02-2009, 9:25 PM
The news stories I have read keep reffering to high-powed ammunition, and ammunition that is only available out of state. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

I think a 10 day waiting period on gasoline needs to added to the books. Seriously though I do not understand how people think that banning something actualy reduces it's use for criminal activity just look at drugs and guns south of the border. Take a look at Detroit, and Washington DC. I can't wait to see the answer these guys give when Heller really kicks in these cities and they have crime go down.

I always laugh at how all the stated that brady gives the highest marks to have the highest murder rates.

Corbin Dallas
01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
10 day waiting period for lighters and matches along with 1 gallon a month fuel rationing.

Just one more reason I hate hippies.

Seesm
01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
The Santa was just a crazy guy if not a gun he woudl have used a machete...It was just sideways... WTF?