PDA

View Full Version : CMP HRA Special

EBR Works
01-02-2009, 7:27 AM
Here's mine. Freshly de-cosmolined. All parts are HRA correct except for the trigger assembly housing which is an IHC part. I'll have to talk to CMP about that since my understanding is that all parts should be HRA on these rifles.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/full-1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/rear1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/rrear.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/open.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/btm1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/btm2.jpg

Army GI
01-14-2009, 3:24 PM
Very nice! That is an excellent stock. Has it been stained or is it pure BLO?

These are the ones with the brand spanking new barrel isn't it? Should be a good shooter.

p7m8jg
01-14-2009, 3:27 PM
Beeee-youtifullll

jcruzer619
01-14-2009, 6:02 PM
Man, that is absolutely gorgeous!

EBR Works
01-14-2009, 7:59 PM
Very nice! That is an excellent stock. Has it been stained or is it pure BLO?

These are the ones with the brand spanking new barrel isn't it? Should be a good shooter.

Not stained. As it came from CMP. Barrel and all metal are original HRA from 1954ish. Never fired and still in the original cosmo.

bplvr
01-16-2009, 7:56 PM
I'll take it !! SPF

{let's see if this flies} ;)

EBR Works
01-16-2009, 9:47 PM
I'll take it !! SPF

{let's see if this flies} ;)

OK, it's yours!

NOT! :tt2:

I received the HRA trigger group from CMP today but I'm going to have to do some work to make it fit correctly.

I'm going to go shoot it for the first time on Sunday! :33:

jthai
01-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Man that's beautiful! What grade is it...service grade? I have been juggling if I should get one from CMP or not but I don't want to risk getting a beater rifle. I don't care much about collector/everything matching and all that, just a nice rifle that shoots. If CMP ships me one like yours for 5 bills I'm sending my paperwork in tomorrow!

FCinCA
01-18-2009, 1:45 AM
WOW

nobs11
01-18-2009, 2:58 AM
Man that's beautiful! What grade is it...service grade? I have been juggling if I should get one from CMP or not but I don't want to risk getting a beater rifle. I don't care much about collector/everything matching and all that, just a nice rifle that shoots. If CMP ships me one like yours for 5 bills I'm sending my paperwork in tomorrow!

That is NOT a service grade rifle. That is a HRA special as the OP said. You won't get this for $500. As far as shooter Garands go, I've seen Garands that looked like they'd been to hell and back, yet shot 4 inch groups with surplus ammo just like any other good shooter Garand. You can have the prettiest looking Garand, yet it may not shoot better than any "beater" Garand. It is luck of the draw.

OP, beautiful rifle!

smeg
01-18-2009, 9:13 AM
impacto,
before you get too far with the wood file, be sure to not overdo it. try to keep that triggerguard realll tight. the wood will compress over time and loosen up. my hra had a very tight guard at first too. i was able to close it by leaning down hard on it. now it has loosened up on its own. still very tight but thats good.

nobs11
01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
impacto,
before you get too far with the wood file, be sure to not overdo it. try to keep that triggerguard realll tight. the wood will compress over time and loosen up. my hra had a very tight guard at first too. i was able to close it by leaning down hard on it. now it has loosened up on its own. still very tight but thats good.

+1. Good lockup is essential for accuracy.

EBR Works
01-20-2009, 8:41 AM
The trigger housing fits in the stock perfectly when separated from the receiver. It also fits into the receiver perfectly with the stock removed. With the stock and receiver assembled, I cannot latch the trigger guard into it's detent. It seems like the trigger guard needs to be bent slightly outward to allow it to latch. Should I attempt this or have a Garand gunsmith check it out?

smeg
01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
The trigger housing fits in the stock perfectly when separated from the receiver. It also fits into the receiver perfectly with the stock removed. With the stock and receiver assembled, I cannot latch the trigger guard into it's detent. It seems like the trigger guard needs to be bent slightly outward to allow it to latch. Should I attempt this or have a Garand gunsmith check it out?

not an uncommon situation and i have been in it before.
the trigger gaurd is fine. do not need to bend it at all. when it closes it will latch just like it does when you latch it without the stock.
the problem is the new boyds stock is a bit beefy in the trigger guard area as shown in fig 9 here(below link). it is best to try to press the floorplate in firmly to lock, but i had this same issue with another boyds stock before and did have to file a tiny amount of the area in fig 9. it is a very easy procedure and you will only need to take off a tiny amount. go slow and recheck frequently. also note that the area has a slight 10 degree angle. keep this angle if filing.
there is another webpage that shows how to fit the boyds stock, but i havent been able to find it as of yet.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/boydsgarandstock/index.asp

well still can't find the other webpage. oh well. it's a very easy fix that doesn't need a gunsmith. there are plenty of threads about boyd's garand stocks in the cmp and surplusrifle forums. the flat area in fig 9 is likely your problem and if you need to file it down a bit, just go slow and be sure to keep it tight. i did mine and took off about 2 - 3 paper thickness. a little BLO in the filed area and can't even tell afterwords. trigger guard will close but still firm and tight.

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
:tt1::mad::cuss:...i want one soooooo bad.

EBR Works
01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
not an uncommon situation and i have been in it before.
the trigger gaurd is fine. do not need to bend it at all. when it closes it will latch just like it does when you latch it without the stock.
the problem is the new boyds stock is a bit beefy in the trigger guard area as shown in fig 9 here(below link). it is best to try to press the floorplate in firmly to lock, but i had this same issue with another boyds stock before and did have to file a tiny amount of the area in fig 9. it is a very easy procedure and you will only need to take off a tiny amount. go slow and recheck frequently. also note that the area has a slight 10 degree angle. keep this angle if filing.
there is another webpage that shows how to fit the boyds stock, but i havent been able to find it as of yet.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/boydsgarandstock/index.asp

well still can't find the other webpage. oh well. it's a very easy fix that doesn't need a gunsmith. there are plenty of threads about boyd's garand stocks in the cmp and surplusrifle forums. the flat area in fig 9 is likely your problem and if you need to file it down a bit, just go slow and be sure to keep it tight. i did mine and took off about 2 - 3 paper thickness. a little BLO in the filed area and can't even tell afterwords. trigger guard will close but still firm and tight.

Thanks for the help on this. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Mark One
01-20-2009, 3:59 PM
Thats a good looking rifle

hellraiser
01-22-2009, 12:27 PM
stupid noob question... since ther older than 50 do they ship to you place or an ffl??? if to your place are you supposed to register it after??? ive been wanting to do the cmp thing for a while just dont know the steps....

EBR Works
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Part of the paperwork process is to visit a notary who verifies your identity and age. CMP does an InstaCheck and ships directly to you bypassing California DROS process. Since they are a quasi-governmental entity, they can do this.There is no requirement to register a rifle.

adamhoud
02-05-2009, 1:42 PM
Is that stock the same as one of the replacement stocks that the CMP sells?