PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS LEGAL??

74man
01-01-2009, 8:36 PM
I used to have ADT alarm system installed in my house for security. I recently switched to another company whose rates will not go up. I received a letter from this company which started out: "RE: The City of ------------ Alarm Permit for AR No. 990242. This letter states that each Citizen who has an alarm system installed in their home must have a valid alarm monitoring permit". HERE IS ANOTHER PERMIT, WHEN IS IT EVER GOING TO STOP??? It goes on the say that "The city of ---------- will assess a false alarm response fee for each police response to a false monitored alarm after you have had your security system for 30 days. False alarms thereafter may be assessed a fee.

I NEVER HAD TO REGISTER UNDER ADT ALARM SYSTEMS. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. IT IS LIKE CHARGING YOU FOR CALLING 911, IF AND WHEN THE LEO'S SHOW UP.

Does any else have to pay a PERMIT FEE???

eta34
01-01-2009, 8:39 PM
Many cities require permits for home alarms. It gets tiresome wasting time on false alarm after false alarm when my time could be used more productively. There are houses that we go to 10 and 20 times a month for false alarms. They get charged after a certain number of false alarms.

plm61
01-01-2009, 8:55 PM
Shortly after police responded to my old house in Concord, I got a letter from the city informing me that I owed them some small fee (something like $50) to register my alarm system.

Considering they responded quickly to a B&E of an occupied residence, I didn't complain.

Also considering a recent burglary of my neighbors home where they ripped his gun safe off the wall and pried it open, I think $50 (once) for a quick response is not bad a deal.

Think about all the false alarms LEOs respond to. A small one-time fee doesn't seem that bad to me.

I've also used that response fee to my advantage. When I lived in an apartment in San Jose, there was a commercial building near me which had an audible alarm that rang at least twice a week at night. A tried calling the building owner to no avail, but, when I started calling the police and they got billed $50 per call for false alarms, it got fixed REAL quickly.

-P

odysseus
01-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Many cities are now requiring a one time permit for the monitored alarm system, mainly due to false alarms. The best scenario I have seen is an annual allowance for false alarms, and if you go over that in a year, then a fine.

If you are prone to false alarms, something is wrong and it needs to be fixed. It's another case of the troublemakers making things difficult for everyone else, and another way for cities to then bill everyone for it.

get2now
01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I've been paying my permit fee for many years now. I think it's every 2 or 3 years.
I didn't like it at first but when you think about how many times the police respond to false alarms it's really a necessary evil. Too bad I have to pay for some idiots crappy alarm that goes off all the time though.

G

383green
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm confused. How does requiring a permit reduce the false alarm occurrence rate?

dfletcher
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I used to have ADT alarm system installed in my house for security. I recently switched to another company whose rates will not go up. I received a letter from this company which started out: "RE: The City of ------------ Alarm Permit for AR No. 990242. This letter states that each Citizen who has an alarm system installed in their home must have a valid alarm monitoring permit". HERE IS ANOTHER PERMIT, WHEN IS IT EVER GOING TO STOP??? It goes on the say that "The city of ---------- will assess a false alarm response fee for each police response to a false monitored alarm after you have had your security system for 30 days. False alarms thereafter may be assessed a fee.

I NEVER HAD TO REGISTER UNDER ADT ALARM SYSTEMS. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. IT IS LIKE CHARGING YOU FOR CALLING 911, IF AND WHEN THE LEO'S SHOW UP.

Does any else have to pay a PERMIT FEE???

Is your main complaint the permit - is there a fee attached for the permit? Or does the alarm company which installs the system that must have the permit?

So far as charging for an LE response, I get to deal with these sorts of things all the time - you have no idea the false alarms caused by bank managers and retail store managers and building managers and security guards and home owners over and over again. Not because "OmiGod I'm being robbed" but because they forgot a number, left a door open or turned their own darn system on at the wrong time. So it's not just like a real live person calling 911 for good cause, it's a person's repeated forgetfullness or indifference allowing a machine to go on autopilot and waste PD's time.

The response fee is not company specific. I'd be pretty sure that response fee was in place when ADT was doing your monitoring also.

freakshow10mm
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
It doesn't. It allegedly helps to pay for the officers to respond to check it out. It's just another way to raise revenue.

First I've ever heard of a burglar alarm permit. That's absurd.

domokun
01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
You may have not had to pay the permit fee when you had ADT because ADT might have taken care of it for you as part of their service/monitoring contract. I can't confirm this but I wouldn't be surprised if they had such a setup with the city.

Harrison_Bergeron
01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I think its justified. What is the penalty for calling 911 when there is no emergency? Would you rather have that?

N6ATF
01-02-2009, 12:56 AM
There isn't any, practically. I've never heard of the moron penalty (non-malicious 911ing) ever being enforced. Malicious 911ing, however.

Voluntary compliance with anti-law abiding citizen taxes is the .gov's preferred method of collecting revenue.

Easier to have a 3 strikes rule. 3 false alarms on 3 separate days, they block your system's alerts, the company is notified that they're no longer providing a service due to the lack of repair.

Harrison_Bergeron
01-02-2009, 1:20 AM
I think the penalty for a bad 911 cal just went up today(jan,1) actually.

ETA:http://www.ktla.com/landing/?blockID=174813&feedID=171
Emergency calls: Increases penalties for people who knowingly use 911 emergency lines for calls other than emergencies. The penalty is a written warning on first offense, $50 on second, $100 on third.

N6ATF
01-02-2009, 6:36 PM
Jeez, that's wimpy. What was it before? A verbal warning on the first offense, $25 on the second, $50 on the third? If enforced at all? The time these calls take away from dispatchers answering true emergencies and the cost in human lives is worth more than 1 or 2 zeroes.

bohoki
01-02-2009, 8:22 PM
Jeez, that's wimpy. What was it before? A verbal warning on the first offense, $25 on the second, $50 on the third? If enforced at all? The time these calls take away from dispatchers answering true emergencies and the cost in human lives is worth more than 1 or 2 zeroes.

i think calling 911 ought to cost $10 per call emergency or not like a 976 number

if its an emergency $10 is well worth it and if idiots want to call 911 to find out if its raining they pay too

Kid Stanislaus
01-02-2009, 8:26 PM
i think calling 911 ought to cost $10 per call emergency or not like a 976 number

if its an emergency $10 is well worth it and if idiots want to call 911 to find out if its raining they pay too

So if I hear my neighbor woman screaming maybe I don't like the $10 charge for calling 911 and I just roll over and go back to sleep?

SJgunguy24
01-02-2009, 8:39 PM
So if I hear my neighbor woman screaming maybe I don't like the $10 charge for calling 911 and I just roll over and go back to sleep?

Maybe she's just having a really good time:thumbsup:

sorensen440
01-02-2009, 8:44 PM
I'm ok with charging a false alarm fee...kinda
the permit is a joke though and should not exist

CA_Libertarian
01-03-2009, 2:49 PM
I've been paying my permit fee for many years now. I think it's every 2 or 3 years.
I didn't like it at first but when you think about how many times the police respond to false alarms it's really a necessary evil. Too bad I have to pay for some idiots crappy alarm that goes off all the time though.\

G

The fact is that you should not have to pay for the idiots that have false alarms. Permit fees do not deter false alarms. False alarm fines do. This is just another example of a government entity creating a 'crime' just to raise revenue.