PDA

View Full Version : Shipping guns to myself

gotgunz
01-01-2009, 7:41 PM
I am going on a hunting trip in a couple of weeks (to Georgia) and wondered if anybody has had experience with shipping your hunting guns to yourself in care of the lodge you were hunting at?

If so, who did you use and what was the process / cost?

Thanks

jbolton
01-01-2009, 8:00 PM
NO WAY! Only Dealers can ship firearms. Federal law. Get an FAA approved case, and check it in. Check out the TSA, and the airlines website to see the requirements for checking in firearms, and cases. That is if your flying. It's pretty simple I have done it with no problems.

capitol
01-01-2009, 8:05 PM
NO WAY! Only Dealers can ship firearms.

Uh WRONG!

Show me the federal law stating only dealers can ship firearms

Fjold
01-01-2009, 8:09 PM
NO WAY! Only Dealers can ship firearms. Federal law. Get an FAA approved case, and check it in. Check out the TSA, and the airlines website to see the requirements for checking in firearms, and cases. That is if your flying. It's pretty simple I have done it with no problems.

There's a whole lot of Fail in that statement.

You are allowed to ship longarms via USPS or common carrier to yourself, an FFL or a manufacturer.

You are allowed to ship handguns via common carrier to yourself, an FFL or a manufacturer.

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2009, 8:17 PM
I haven't done it but, I know many people who have. Obviously, the cost will depend on the size, shapeand weight of your package, the carrier you choose to use and how much insurance you get. Also, if you decide to fly with your firearm, be sure to follow FAA rules when it comes to ammo too. This means, no reloads! All ammo on commecial flights must be in it's sealed original packageing.

gotgunz
01-01-2009, 8:25 PM
I fly with firearms very frequently (next week in fact to So Cal) but the airline wants (based on the size of my rifle case) $175.00 to check it in; each way!

Looking for a cheaper alternative.

glockman19
01-01-2009, 9:01 PM
You are allowed to ship longarms via USPS or common carrier to yourself, an FFL or a manufacturer.

You are allowed to ship handguns via common carrier to yourself, an FFL or a manufacturer.

This is true.

I have sent guns to myself when traveling to and from CA to FL. I think it's easier, because I rarely check in baggage.

Fjold
01-01-2009, 9:33 PM
...... Also, if you decide to fly with your firearm, be sure to follow FAA rules when it comes to ammo too. This means, no reloads! All ammo on commecial flights must be in it's sealed original packageing.

Uh nope,

FAA and individual airlines say that ammunition must be in factory containers or packaging that seperates individual cartridges.

Here's United airlines regulations:

A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked luggage in the original manufacturer's box or securely packed in a fiber, wood, or metal box to prevent movement of cartridges.

Here's Delta's:
Small arms ammunition, in quantities not exceeding 5 kg (11 lbs.) per person, are allowed as checked-baggage only when securely boxed and intended for that person's own use. More than one passenger may not combine quantities into one package.

I took my reloads on United, Virgin and Air Namibia last summer.

Fjold
01-01-2009, 9:36 PM
I fly with firearms very frequently (next week in fact to So Cal) but the airline wants (based on the size of my rifle case) $175.00 to check it in; each way!

Looking for a cheaper alternative.

Check the airline's baggage regulations for sporting goods and firearms. Many airlines make exceptions for oversized (not overweight) cases for these but many ticket agents don't know it.

Copy all the airlines baggage rules and have them with you when you check in, so that you can show the ticket agent, then ask for a supervisor.

Jamez
01-01-2009, 9:37 PM
I've check a rifle before. Flying from Houston to Sacramento. They didn't have a problem or charge me. It wasn't in any sort of case, i just took it apart and taped it in cardboard boxes. Granted "gun" isn't a dirty word in Texas so that may have been why.

Vectrexer
01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
As a person who has flown with firearms several times from SF to Tulsa (on United as well), I can tell you it's more about the weight than the size. I also had 4 boxes (200 rounds) of ammo in the case. I did not get charged extra on my flights over this last year.

But f you are packing a hard case that carries more than a single shotgun or rifle be prepared to face the extra baggage charges.

And yes,,, it is totally legal or you to ship yourself a firearm. UPS and FedEx will allow shipment no problems, in a plain package. Make sure wherever you travel to that the firearm ownership, usage, storage, and ammo type is legal at the far end.