PDA

View Full Version : Papers please! (Papers to take to the range)

Sam
01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, since I don't have my CCW yet (it should be mailed soon) I still carry around copies of the appropriate pages concerning the transportation of handguns from the California Firearms Booklet and DOJ website just in case an over zealous law enforcement officer wants to take a look at my toys. Fortunately, the only time I've used these pages is to educate a couple of friends I've taken to the range that first time. I'm looking forward to when I'm granted my CCW rights and won't be held to being a defenseless victim when I'm going to the range and back. Anyway, earlier in the week I picked up a RRA rifle out of the 10 day purgatory and I was wondering what papers people transport along with their rifle. I've already printed out the Flowchart, but wanted something that has been published by a governmental agency to give myself a little more weight if I get into an argument with a law enforcement officer. I'm really excited about this new foray into AR rifles but I'll post pictures and questions in the appropriate threads.
thanks,
Sam

CalCop
01-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Sac PD OLL training bulletin (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sacramento-PD-OLL_Training_Bulletin-2008-11-18.pdf)

MudCamper
01-01-2009, 7:21 PM
CalCop posted exactly what you asked for, but here's the battery of papers I carry:

http://www.paul.net/guns/papers.html

FreedomIsNotFree
01-01-2009, 8:08 PM
MudCamper,

Great job putting together those doc's.

1BigPea
01-01-2009, 8:33 PM
This subject is a thread in the Riflemans Forum also, this is what I wrote.

Better than having a binder and papers in your case, learn the laws and be able to explain intelligently what is on the papers to an LEO or RO or even a spectator asking questions. If you canít explain the legality or laws regarding fixed magazine, OLLís etc. then keep studying until you can. Just trying to help you out, most likely you will never need them if you can just explain it as the law is written.

All the docs posted here on CG are great learning resources.

The Sac Town memo is pretty good though, if you feel the need to just carry something that would be my 1st choice. ;)

Sam
01-01-2009, 10:43 PM
thanks mudcamper, that's a good collection of papers! Looks like I'll have to get together a binder for this stuff.

Whiskey84
01-04-2009, 5:43 AM
I've got copies of all of these in each gun case of mine. Thank you!

robitrocks
01-04-2009, 6:25 AM
I know it's probably excessive but I also have a full printout of Harrot vs. County of Kings as well as the DOJ 2 weeks notice AND the retraction.

bohoki
01-04-2009, 9:39 AM
also do not pull out any papers unless it is looking bad

offering paperwork and stuff only encourages them to expect papers from others

nobs11
01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Papers are nice to look at and educate other shooters, folks at the range.

As far as LE contact goes, I doubt their use. If I were a cop and some guy I suspect of transporting illegally or having an illegally configured rifle starts showing me papers and arguing with me why xyz is legal, I'm going to tell him to save it for the judge. LE is almost certainly only going to consider AW registration or CCW or any state provided documentation. For the rest, it is best that you keep your mouth shut and contact your lawyer. LE contact is not the time to start educating cops. That needs to happen before they sit in their patrol cars.

MudCamper
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
As far as LE contact goes, I doubt their use. If I were a cop and some guy I suspect of transporting illegally or having an illegally configured rifle starts showing me papers and arguing with me why xyz is legal, I'm going to tell him to save it for the judge...

I would think that if I showed you a memo from your own department, or a memo from the CPAO attorney, and you took the "tell it to the judge" attitude and then followed with a false arrest with bogus charges, that it would be great ammo for my civil suit against you.