PDA

View Full Version : Hunting dogs

Walking Fire
12-31-2008, 8:55 PM
I prefer Yellow labs for birds, Pheasant and duck, Geese also..
However you might want one of these to catch an inspector..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

Splinter
01-01-2009, 1:09 AM
Labs are not a good pheasant dog. But they will scuba dive for ducks.

bowfin
01-10-2009, 6:53 PM
Labs are not a good pheasant dog.

Maybe Labs aren't the best choice for pheasants, but there are countless good ones used for pheasant hunting.

Labradors can and have been very good pheasant hunting dogs. I hunted pheasants with my two labs for years. They didn't point, but they let you know something was up by acting "birdy", and that action was imminent. In fact, here in the Nebraska/South Dakota/Kansas area a lot of people are fiddling with "Pointing Labs" for pheasants.

Dog for dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer or Vizla would probably work better for pheasants, but when the temperatures here get down into single digits during December and January, pheasant hunting, Labrador Retrievers can go all day, if they are in shape. We don't see tons of long haired dogs used in the Great Plains, such as Brittanies or Springers, mostly because the cockle burrs, sand burrs, and cactus caught in their coats can make it miserable for both dog and owners, but they can do great also.

say12
01-10-2009, 8:00 PM
I have shot a LOT of pheasants over my Labs. They also will retrieve the birds ,some other breeds aren't to good about that.They will go into the heavy brush and briar that causes some dogs hesitate.

Rob454
01-10-2009, 9:37 PM
Labs are not a good pheasant dog. .

BS. My last lab was a great bird dog even pheasant. The only thing I dont know was Turkey because i never went turkey hunting with a dog

Thefeeder
01-10-2009, 9:42 PM
BS. My last lab was a great bird dog even pheasant. The only thing I dont know was Turkey because i never went turkey hunting with a dog

+1 for labs on pheasant....Guido found, flushed and retieved pheasants for years

scombs263
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
My yellow lab is an awesome pheasant dog. She is a field breed lab and has more energy than a GSP or Viszla. She does not point, although her father could, she just flushing, but she is good for an all day hunt, will retrieve and get them if shot over the pond and they land in the water.

robairto
01-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Untrue statement. As labs have excellent noses and are excellent upland dogs. They do however have limitations that the pointers don't.
some of those limits are:
1.less endurance
2. close in ranging
3.larger
4. get hot quicker
5. shedding

Some of the positives are:
1. close in ranging
2. execellent noses
3.obedient
4. retrieving
5. family pet

I owned an excellent GSP and my GSP cleaned the a field after the late Archie Obrien walked thru it with 2 English pointers. My dog did several 100 yd plus natural pheasant retrieves for me over the yrs. However I hunted with a friend who had a Choc lab that could smell a pheasant at 100 yds and would walk right to it. I saw that dog do it year in and year out. So s labs can be excellent upland dogs but they will be limited in their scope. A GSP usually ranges and has the legs to do it and can last a longer time than a lab. So pick the dog for the hunt and make no mistake about labs.They are execellent unpland dogs but the hunt wil be different than with a pointer.
Good luck

tpuig
01-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I used to go to the Gabilan Valley Sportsmans Club in Gilroy, where I hunted pheasants. Sometimes I would be able to rent one of their dogs for an extra couple bucks, typically a springer or shorthair. One day in the clubhouse they asked if I wanted to rent the "pointing" yellow lab. All eyes were on me, and I though I was being set up for a practical joke. Of course everyone "knows" labs don't point, and are terrible for hunting pheasants. Well, I went along with the joke, but it turned out to be true. That was the most incredible dog I've ever hunted with. It tracked and held like a pointer, and then flushed on command and retrieved. I couldn't believe it. I got on the list for some of those pups but never did get one. It was just a normal looking yellow lab female. I still smile about that to this day.

anthonyca
01-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't hunt but I know my yellow Lab will find a tennis ball in the thickest brush we can find. I have even thrown it and not let him see the direction it went so I could do other things and he will spend over half an hour looking and he always finds it.

chris
01-11-2009, 3:09 PM

yep my lab does just that. and when she does i LMAO!!! it's great to see her do that.

Mac Attack
01-11-2009, 3:46 PM
My white lab loves to duck hunt. As a matter of fact he loves the water.

scombs263
01-11-2009, 9:54 PM
I used to go to the Gabilan Valley Sportsmans Club in Gilroy, where I hunted pheasants. Sometimes I would be able to rent one of their dogs for an extra couple bucks, typically a springer or shorthair. One day in the clubhouse they asked if I wanted to rent the "pointing" yellow lab. All eyes were on me, and I though I was being set up for a practical joke. Of course everyone "knows" labs don't point, and are terrible for hunting pheasants. Well, I went along with the joke, but it turned out to be true. That was the most incredible dog I've ever hunted with. It tracked and held like a pointer, and then flushed on command and retrieved. I couldn't believe it. I got on the list for some of those pups but never did get one. It was just a normal looking yellow lab female. I still smile about that to this day.

That is exactly how my yellows father was when we hunting with him. We just never trained out yellow to do it, she possess all of the same qualities, but does not point, we are lazy and just have her flush.

Rule .308
01-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I own a yellow lab that is just the family pet but I can attest to that dogs nose. When playing catch with her in the living room I can hide whatever it is we are using anywhere I want and just tell that girl "find it" and it is a done deal. That dog puts her nose into action until it is a done deal, now that I am getting into duck hunting I seriously regret not training her for it. Biggest draw back to her is the damn hair, man that dog lays down some serious frigging hair.