PDA

View Full Version : The Shootist in Murrieta, Ca

ChuckBooty
12-31-2008, 8:37 PM
I walked in today and to ask about buying an a Ca legal AR. I saw one behind the glass...very nice looking weapon. I could see that the mag was fixed in place and needed an allen wrench to take it out. Encouraged, I patiently waited in line (the place was packed) until I got to the front. I asked the guy at the front about the AR and he asked me if I was Law Enforcement. I told him "no" and he went on to tell me that they would not sell this weapon to civilians. I explained to him that I was not, in fact, a civilian and have been serving active duty in the Army for the last ten plus years. The reason that I'm looking for an AR is because I'm very comfortable with the rifle, having fired countless rounds down range and having disassembled and reassembled this rifle countless times.

He told me that assault rifles were illegal in the state and that the OLL situation has a lot of grey area. In fact, people were getting arrested all the time for having AR's and AK's with OLL's.

Is this true? I'm new trying to navigate California laws when it comes to AW's. It seems pretty cut and dry when it comes down to it (the flow chart helps a lot). I left there a bit discouraged...

truthseeker
12-31-2008, 8:47 PM
Do some reading on this board and you will find all you need to know about OLL.

I say build your own and you won't have to worry about "FUD" that gun shops tell you.

sac550
12-31-2008, 8:57 PM
Do some reading on this board and you will find all you need to know about OLL.

I say build your own and you won't have to worry about "FUD" that gun shops tell you.

Don't shop there again. Find a FFL that knows the law.

xnv733x
12-31-2008, 8:59 PM
i work right by there go in ocasionaly for ammo and cleaning supplies horrible service bad attitudes and usually are scaring people into buying guns and or ammo before they get in the door using the whole obama thing they have the pcm .223 ammo (whatever its called) for 11.99 with a sign on it that says something along the lines of buy this while you still can -i got a couple boxes of the same ammo from turners not too long ago for 7.50 a box seems like they think only their famil and leos should own guns

Kid Stanislaus
12-31-2008, 9:26 PM
.......seems like a bunch of crazy mormons that think only their famil and leos should own guns,

If you think them Mormons are nuts, how about them BAPTISTS?!! Hey, lets have a religious based flame war here!! (Juz kidd'n, lets NOT!)

ChuckBooty
12-31-2008, 9:27 PM

Yeah, I spoke with the guy from Pennington Firearms (http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/dealer_home.asp?dealer_id=600776) in Wildomar and he seems like a good one. Pretty low fees ($50 including DROS) and he said he even had some OLL's on their way (although he had no idea when they'd arrive).

ChuckBooty
12-31-2008, 9:29 PM

If you think them Mormons are nuts, how about them BAPTISTS?!! Hey, lets have a religious based flame war here!! (Juz kidd'n, lets NOT!)

LOL! I think he meant 'morons'.

eaglemike
12-31-2008, 10:16 PM
This gun store has been mentioned before, along the same lines. Evidently not a great experience.

all the best,
Mike

savageevo
12-31-2008, 10:22 PM
If you want a real good ffl to deal with try going to bright spot pawn in riverside. just drive down the 15 for about 1/2 hour then turn right on the 60 then get off pedly then right and at the next light turn right on mission. drive down about 1/4 miles and your there. Trust us Chris is a great guy to deal with and he will teach you all about oll. good luck.

ChuckBooty
12-31-2008, 10:27 PM
If you want a real good ffl to deal with try going to bright spot pawn in riverside. just drive down the 15 for about 1/2 hour then turn right on the 60 then get off pedly then right and at the next light turn right on mission. drive down about 1/4 miles and your there. Trust us Chris is a great guy to deal with and he will teach you all about oll. good luck.

Ya got a phone # or email for him?

ChuckBooty
12-31-2008, 10:31 PM
This gun store has been mentioned before, along the same lines. Evidently not a great experience.

all the best,
Mike

Yeah, it wasn't a real good experience. They had all the "standard" gun shop stuff...the "Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People" signs, Mr. Mustache working at the front counter. But the guy seemed really condescending and almost hostile. It was as if he and his mustache were judging me. When I asked him about the AR, he looked at me like I would have NO IDEA what to do with such a rifle.

bg
12-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Cold War Shooters in Highland can handle it. Not REAL
far from Temecula.
http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=31_33

And yes, the guys at Bright Spot pawn shop are some great people.

LOW2000
12-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I've been in there a few times. Their transfer fees are very high if you buy something online and have it shipped to them.

They haven't been unfriendly to me, have answered questions, but certainly don't seem to be chatty with people who aren't regulars in the store.

Ground Loop
12-31-2008, 11:26 PM
I'll post just to be the odd man out..

The Shootist in Murrieta is one of my favorite gun shops, and I'd shop there more if they weren't so far away.

They have a top-shelf selection of Sig custom shop pistols, for example, and were the ONLY place in one-long-drive radius that would let me handle and dry-fire a Sig X5, let alone stock one or sell it at a discount. Marlin cowboy lever guns too.

I've had gun orders turn "complicated" and they went over and above in sorting out paperwork, keeping me posted, and generally making the most of an inconvenient situation.

Some of their store help is more opinionated than informed, true. Talk to the owner if you can.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to give them business.

That said, they do take their "LEO Only" sales pretty seriously.. if a Glock comes with standard-capacity magazines, they won't sell the gun to a civi without any magazines, frustrating as that is. They're not on the OLL bandwagon, but that's true of most San Diego gun shops. (Iron Sights, ASC, etc)

Each shop has pros/cons, and The Shootist is my favorite place to go shop Sigs.

12voltguy
01-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I walked in today and to ask about buying an a Ca legal AR. I saw one behind the glass...very nice looking weapon. I could see that the mag was fixed in place and needed an allen wrench to take it out. Encouraged, I patiently waited in line (the place was packed) until I got to the front. I asked the guy at the front about the AR and he asked me if I was Law Enforcement. I told him "no" and he went on to tell me that they would not sell this weapon to civilians. I explained to him that I was not, in fact, a civilian and have been serving active duty in the Army for the last ten plus years. The reason that I'm looking for an AR is because I'm very comfortable with the rifle, having fired countless rounds down range and having disassembled and reassembled this rifle countless times.

He told me that assault rifles were illegal in the state and that the OLL situation has a lot of grey area. In fact, people were getting arrested all the time for having AR's and AK's with OLL's.

Is this true? I'm new trying to navigate California laws when it comes to AW's. It seems pretty cut and dry when it comes down to it (the flow chart helps a lot). I left there a bit discouraged...

I'll post just to be the odd man out..

The Shootist in Murrieta is one of my favorite gun shops, and I'd shop there more if they weren't so far away.

They have a top-shelf selection of Sig custom shop pistols, for example, and were the ONLY place in one-long-drive radius that would let me handle and dry-fire a Sig X5, let alone stock one or sell it at a discount. Marlin cowboy lever guns too.

I've had gun orders turn "complicated" and they went over and above in sorting out paperwork, keeping me posted, and generally making the most of an inconvenient situation.

Some of their store help is more opinionated than informed, true. Talk to the owner if you can.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to give them business.

That said, they do take their "LEO Only" sales pretty seriously.. if a Glock comes with standard-capacity magazines, they won't sell the gun to a civi without any magazines, frustrating as that is. They're not on the OLL bandwagon, but that's true of most San Diego gun shops. (Iron Sights, ASC, etc)

Each shop has pros/cons, and The Shootist is my favorite place to go shop Sigs.
:confused::confused::confused:

cgseanp1
01-01-2009, 12:47 AM
What kind of LEO would want an AR with a fixed, 10 round(I assume) magazine???

AdamM
01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
What kind of LEO would want an AR with a fixed, 10 round(I assume) magazine???

If its fixed it HAS to have 10 rounders.

Unless they get a letter from their department

Seesm
01-01-2009, 1:27 AM
I can tell you Daniel at Pennington Firearms is a good guy to deal with. Yeah he is was is cool!! Call him with any needs and feel confident your getting treated well!!

cgseanp1
01-01-2009, 3:32 AM
If its fixed it HAS to have 10 rounders.

Unless they get a letter from their department

Ok, well what kind of LEO would want to be an AR with a fixed magazine?

BSlacker
01-01-2009, 4:15 AM
I can't believe the Shootist stays in business. Accurate Arms went out of business and they were very nice to buy from.
Went into Shootist one time looking to buy something and could not for the life of me get anyones attention. I was the only customer in the place had on nice clothes, haircut short enough, check book hanging out of my shirt pocket and nobody would even greet me.
Accurate Arms is not that far away and they were good to deal with just wonder why they went under and the Shootist lives on.

glockster
01-01-2009, 8:47 AM
Accurate Arms had good people working there and they were involved with Friends of the NRA. However, The Shootist is definitely condescending towards others. I have seen them treat many walk-ins poorly. I couldn't believe some of the crap they gave to others.

+1 for Pennington :thumbsup: . They're good people to deal with and I highly recommend them.

scoutpup99
01-01-2009, 10:18 AM
The reason Accurate Arms went under was the owner. He Disliked guns and only sold them since to have a sporting goods store you need guns. He also had the habit of pulling money from the till for personal use. Towards the end some of the people working there were not getting paid on time. His shop ended up in The hands of the Bankruptcy court and they liquidated it.

The Shootist on the other hand has a huge following for their cowboy guns. The owner is supposed to be real nice but I have yet to deal with him just his son and daughter. I regularly send people there to look at and possibly by the Sigs since I don't carry them.

pullnshoot25
01-01-2009, 10:29 AM

+1. That guy overcharges and is kind of a dick.

workinwifdakids
01-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I asked the guy at the front about the AR and he asked me if I was Law Enforcement. I told him "no" and he went on to tell me that they would not sell this weapon to civilians.

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
Robert Peel, the Father of Modern Policing

As far as Bright Spot Pawn goes, once you go there you'll never go anywhere else again.

cryptkeeper
01-01-2009, 1:03 PM
+1 for Cold War Shooters and Bright Spot Pawn. I ended up buying a handgun from there (The Shootist) but I won't buy anything from there again. They are very expensive. When I went to pick up the gun I saw they had an AR with the sealed mag well. They wanted like 1400 for it if I remember correctly but don't quote me on that. It seems like a shop for cowboys. I live in Murrieta so they are the closest shop to me but I'd never go there for any rifle related needs, in fact I'll never go there again for any needs.

P.S. My Dad and I sat around there for a while too before we got help.

cryptkeeper
01-01-2009, 1:05 PM
The reason Accurate Arms went under was the owner. He Disliked guns and only sold them since to have a sporting goods store you need guns. He also had the habit of pulling money from the till for personal use. Towards the end some of the people working there were not getting paid on time. His shop ended up in The hands of the Bankruptcy court and they liquidated it.

The Shootist on the other hand has a huge following for their cowboy guns. The owner is supposed to be real nice but I have yet to deal with him just his son and daughter. I regularly send people there to look at and possibly by the Sigs since I don't carry them.

I remember going there on my 21st birthday back in 2006 to look at a Glock 19. Service was great. I didn't know they had shut down so I went back a couple years later and was sad to see they were gone.

Wild Bill
01-01-2009, 10:27 PM
+1 for Bright Spot Pawn, great bunch there!!:punk:

StraightShooter
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
The shootist is a pathetic store. The people that work there would get denied if they applied for a job at 7-11 for simple lack of common sense. Dan Pennington is a great guy and I have done several transfers with him. He has excellent prices for transfers, is oll friendly, and has a very flexible schedule because he works from home. Good luck with finding a rifle and do yourself a favor and dont shop at the Shootist. I live in murrieta and i dont care how close that place is I avoid it like the plague.

retired
01-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I recall one of the "knowledgeable" sales people at The Shootist telling me that 30 round mags were illegal even if owned prior to 2000. When I tried to explain to him the ones I bought from the gun show in Pomona in the late 90s were in fact legal, he told me I was wrong and it was a felony to own them.

I gave up and walked away.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the Shootist is the only gun shop in the immediate area. Everything else is a drive.

I have spoken with Daniel at Pennington and he has been very nice and informative over the phone. He only lives about 10 miles from me, so there is a good chance I will be dealing with him for my AR OLL.

odysseus
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I recall one of the "knowledgeable" sales people at The Shootist telling me that 30 round mags were illegal even if owned prior to 2000. When I tried to explain to him the ones I bought from the gun show in Pomona in the late 90s were in fact legal, he told me I was wrong and it was a felony to own them.

I gave up and walked away.:rolleyes:

Wow, that is treading into not innocent wrong knowledge, but actual an attempt at misinformation. No one in the biz of firearms should be able to say that with a straight face. Sounds like a place to stay far away from.

Elsinore
01-02-2009, 7:55 PM
Deal with Daniel at Pennington you don't need to travel he is a great guy. I have done business with him and have sent my friends his way.

cultusmountainarmory
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Have you guys check out faith armory in temecula? i was in there the other day and they had 6 lowers, two with consecutive serial numbers. very friendly guys behind the counter. new shop but have awesome prices and like i said they were whilling to talk to me about what ever question's I had.

rynando
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
On the flip side I went into the Shootist to do a PPT and a gruff old guy told the seller (another member here) and I to just go in the parking lot and take care of business as long guns really don't REALLY have to be transfered through an FFL. When we told him we'd rather PPT the gun he did it without complaint (and overcharged for it).

It's odd that one one hand they'd make a stink about OLL's and on the other tell people to just go sell non C&R long guns in their store's parking lot.

R

retired
02-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Have you guys check out faith armory in temecula? i was in there the other day and they had 6 lowers, two with consecutive serial numbers. very friendly guys behind the counter. new shop but have awesome prices and like i said they were whilling to talk to me about what ever question's I had.

I have never heard of that place, so thanks for the info. I went to their site, but as of yet, they only have a home page and nothing else. I live in French Valley, so it not too far at all.

Are they on the same Enterprise Circle as Hanks Hardware or the other side.

ifishinxs
02-07-2009, 12:54 AM
The Shootist blows big time. I had the same bad experince everyone else has had with them. So they are consistant. I'll never go back. Not because they wouldn't deal with OLL's but because you get treated like crap for even mentioning them in the store. Oh, and overpriced would be an under statement.

I have Dealt with Daniel Pennington on the phone and E-mails and is a great guy. This Faith Armory sounds good and should save me a drive.

cultusmountainarmory
02-07-2009, 8:23 AM
ya there just south of hanks, on enterprise cir. w. it's buy the boat store and audio revolution. I'm thinking about going there today to pick up one of their lowers, wish me luck.

fed20
02-07-2009, 8:38 AM
+1 for Bright Spot. Not the best neighborhood but great people behind the counter. Chris is a great guy

evlblkrfl
02-07-2009, 12:53 PM
before cold war shooters came to town, the Magnum Range in Ontario did my FFL transfers of 2 stag lowers, cheap and easy.(from cws out of texas). some good used firearms for sale also!

damon1272
02-07-2009, 1:29 PM
Yeah, I spoke with the guy from Pennington Firearms (http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/dealer_home.asp?dealer_id=600776) in Wildomar and he seems like a good one. Pretty low fees ($50 including DROS) and he said he even had some OLL's on their way (although he had no idea when they'd arrive).

I would second Penington Arms, good people to deal with!:thumbsup:

rod
02-07-2009, 3:50 PM
My mom bought me a Savage 17 HMR from the Shootist when I retired from the Navy. I thought they were an OK gun store. They don't compare to where I shop now, but that's another story.

all torque
02-07-2009, 3:52 PM
Is the Shootist in old town Murrieta? It has some military vehicle outside in the parking lot right? If this the one, I went there a few months ago looking for a shim that goes on the compensator of my AR-15 and they were very helpful. Guy was looking in the back trying to see if he could find something that would match up. Unfortunately they didn't find one, but they did try.

mossberg500
02-07-2009, 8:30 PM
try TURNERS OUTDORS they have a real good service no problem at all.

cryptkeeper
02-07-2009, 9:21 PM

:lurk5:

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 11:25 PM

I happen to like the guys behind the counter at Turner's SM but other than that, I wouldn't ever go there.

Mstnpete
03-13-2009, 8:56 AM
I think Turners Outdoor is ok but they are very high priced compared to many.
But still purchased a Remington 700VTR 308 from them. Their Marlin Lever Action rifles are definitely over priced. So I checked out the website of The Shootist and ordered me a Marlin 336 SDT Trapper 16.25 30-30, because they were the only one that had them, second the price was good.

My experience with the Shootist was very good. I was given good customer service even on a busy day. I will buy another Lever action from them and this time it will be a Marlin 45-70. I believe in the saying- Be nice and always smile and it will have a good affect on people.

I give The Shootist a thumbs up!

covertcombatant
03-13-2009, 9:02 AM
Faith Armory is just down the street in Temecula, another great gun store if the shootist doesn't have what you are looking for.
I bought my XD .45 from them a couple years ago and they didnt have the best customer service. Glad to see it has changed.

unclejesse
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM

yup +1 for chris great guy with and knows the law very well:thumbsup:

xnv733x
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
rather go to faith armory anyday just my opinion

SnWnMe
03-14-2009, 12:50 AM
A clerk at the Shootist told me that I can go to prison for 30 years if I attached a 30 rd mag on a bolt action rifle.

Yeah okay. Working at Fry's doesn't make you a computer technician.

jamesob
03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
ask him if he is an assault weapons dealer. if he isn't then he would be commiting a criome if it was truely an assault weapon.

bonusweb
03-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Unless we are living in a Military dictatorship, everyone besides the Military are civilians.

A civilian under law is a person who is not a member of his or her country's armed forces.

I like the way police like to use the term civilian, like its something below them.

jimmiya
03-17-2009, 2:28 PM
I went in to the Shootist to buy scope rings last month. I brought my Calilegal AR in to find the correct size to fit my scope. I hated every second as they told me they could not even help me install the rings and scope. They looked at me and my gun like The Plague!! I really think that they are on the Dark side. It really seems they are a bunch of retired Barney Fifes. You would think that since OUR rights are being chipped away little by little that we can be one as a team and fight back. Looks like it won't happen here! I really think if we don't ban together that a big chunk is going to be taken away from us by this administration. My 2 cents.

socalgunrunner
03-17-2009, 2:36 PM
They're not on the OLL bandwagon, but that's true of most San Diego gun shops. (Iron Sights, ASC, etc)

Murrieta is in Riverside County (not San Diego). ;)

Untamed1972
03-17-2009, 2:39 PM
Murrieta is in Riverside County (not San Diego). ;)

Really.....I always thought Temecula and Murrieta were SD suburbs? LOL

socalgunrunner
03-17-2009, 3:05 PM
Yeah okay. Working at Fry's doesn't make you a computer technician.

It does if you get to wear one of those cool looking lab coats.:p

retired
03-18-2009, 2:19 PM
I went to Faith Armory today to look it over and met the owner and the two employees. They are really friendly guys and eager to please the customer. I highly recommend them.

They are OLL friendly and the owner said he has some lowers coming in next week IIRC. They are a new shop (6 weeks), so they are still getting stuff in.

If anyone plans on going there, realize this area has 4 or 5 different Enterprise Circle streets in that area and if you go on the wrong one, you may not find it. After you turn onto Enterprise from Jefferson, keep going straight until you see the boat shop on the right. It is across the street from that, next to the audio shop mentioned in the other post.

Their website is not complete yet, but you can get some info from it. faitharmory.com

I have no connection with them, just a customer, but I thought I would also post about them.

LOW2000
03-18-2009, 4:19 PM
I'm surprised to hear they are going to start carrying uppers. The DOJ BOFfoon had been telling them when they first opened that if they carried all the stuff to build a complete rifle, that they would be liable if someone built one up in an illegal configuration. Hopefully someone set him straight on the FUD being spread.

retired
03-18-2009, 7:55 PM
I hope I didn't mispeak, but IIRC, when I asked him if he had any uppers, he said no, only lowers at this time. I took that to mean he would eventually have the uppers. If I am incorrect in what I said, I definitely apologize.

I will contact him by phone and ask him. If I was screwed up, I will post that here. So, at this point in time let's put that statement in the closet (as a matter of fact, I will remove it), but everything else I said about the place is right on. I really like that place and them. Anyone that doesn't care to go to the Shootist, should try this place.

ChuckBooty
03-18-2009, 8:16 PM
I'm almost a regular fixture in there (Faith) (if you guys ever see a soldier running around in there make sure you say hi!). I've bought two firearms from them so far and will probably buy more (and I'm pretty anti-gun shop for the most part). Nate, Steve, and the Mikes are a good crew and I hope that business will grow as big, if not BIGGER than The Shootist.

HOWEVER....I have to admit that I had a pretty good experience in The Shootist today. I popped in looking for some surplus 7.62x39 and the guy that I was talking to was helpful, courteous and even came out from around the counter to see if I needed any help. Maybe he is an exeption, but he's a real asset to the place. And although they wanted a whopping ELEVEN F'ING DOLLARS for a 20-round box of WOLF MILITARY CLASSIC, I left the place, empty handed, but happy. Seriously though...ELEVEN DOLLARS?????

xnv733x
03-18-2009, 8:54 PM
11 dollars with a sign above it or somewhere in the store that says buy this while you still can. I go in there almost weekly only because its convenient to get cleaning supplies and other little things ive heard them tell people too many times it is "illegal for a civillian to own an ar 15 in ca" while theyre drooling on the ones they display in the LEO only case. I have had a few good experiences in there though.

LOW2000
03-18-2009, 9:20 PM
They also have a Glock 17L that they will only sell to LEO, pisses me off, I want that gun, even if they keep the damn mags.

retired
03-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised to hear they are going to start carrying uppers. The DOJ BOFfoon had been telling them when they first opened that if they carried all the stuff to build a complete rifle, that they would be liable if someone built one up in an illegal configuration. Hopefully someone set him straight on the FUD being spread.

I just called the owner and you were correct for the reason you stated. I was wrong and apologize for my mistake.:o:90:

ELEVEN F'ING DOLLARS for a 20-round box of WOLF MILITARY CLASSIC, I left the place, empty handed, but happy. Seriously though...ELEVEN DOLLARS?????

ChuckBooty, you probably do not want to go to the Bass Pro Shop then. I was there about 3 months ago (the one off the 15) just to check it out. They were charging just under $14 for 20 rounds and I bet it has gone up!

LOW2000
03-20-2009, 6:17 PM
I just called the owner and you were correct for the reason you stated. I was wrong and apologize for my mistake.:o:90:

ChuckBooty, you probably do not want to go to the Bass Pro Shop then. I was there about 3 months ago (the one off the 15) just to check it out. They were charging just under $14 for 20 rounds and I bet it has gone up!

I wonder if a discussion with The Right People, would be helpful for them.

stupidhead
04-01-2009, 1:41 PM
I went to Faith Armory today to look it over and met the owner and the two employees. They are really friendly guys and eager to please the customer. I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I went there yesterday to have a pistol DROS'd and decided to pick up one of their Charles Daly lowers. They'd had 11 the previous day. I called them at 1PM to make sure they could do a DROS, and they told me they had 4 of those lowers. One was bought in the hour I spent driving down, and of course one went to me, so they were down to one when I left.

The staff are all very friendly and knowledgeable (very refreshing these ignorant times). Didn't check their ammo prices as I wasn't in a browsing mood, but their prices on used firearms seemed fairly reasonable.

+1 for Faith Armory.

edit: Not trying to crap up this thread about The Shootist, just wanted to share my experience with Faith Armory.

Mstnpete
06-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I am so disappointed and disgusted with The Shootist in Murrieta, CA.
10 days ago I placed an order for a Marlin 60SS, 22 long rifle.
I went there today for pickup. They couldn't find the rifle! The reason they gave me is that the sales person forgot to special order my rifle! My first experience with them was ok. That's why I decided to buy another rifle from them. How can a store and it's people be so Incompetent? Don't they check monies received per orders taken? Don't they have people to check and follow up orders?

This will be my last business dealing with The Shootist!

scoutpup99
06-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems with The Shootist. I know Davidson's has them in stock right now. You should talk to Randy the owner and see if he can make it right for you. Just what ever you do don't mention anything about ar15s or aks. I have been told that they feel I am an illegal dealer since I work out of my home and deal in OLL.They also don't like the fact that I am an AW permit holder.

Probound
01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I live here in Murrieta and I am looking for an FFL dealer to ship my AR15 Lower to.

I know about Pennington Arms but their fees are a bit more then I want to
pay ($75).
I'm be ordering a Lower from Spikes Tactical and Im just trying to find a local FFL dealer with a better price then $75 bucks even if I have to drive a bit.

I did find one place called Amerivet Enterprizes. Does anyone know about them and if they are legitimate?
I talked to the guy who seemed out of it atm but he said he would only charge me $25.

Seems like the best deal around to me!!

Here is their site:

http://www.amerivetenterprises.com/

beyaaah
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Elton is a stand up guy. Did a oll for me. PM for more details

bubbapug1
01-19-2010, 3:47 PM
I had my worst experiance ever at a retail store in my life at the shootist. I dros'd a pistol there about a year ago and asked if they had a gunsmith who could smooth out the trigger slap on a mac 11. The counter guy proceeded to call me a gang banging criminal dope dealer and to never come in his store again. He also said a bit more than that, all racist or xenophobic, but no need to get into all of it. Why I don't know as I am blond hair with blue eyes, but maybe he had to get something off his chest.

Its a backward place, a throwback to the closed minded days of old...but its too bad when a gun store is on the same side at the anti's...but its not the only gunstore or range I have run into with the same attitude while handing out CalGuns pamphlets...some owners say the DOJ are the ones telling them to stear clear of OLL's, but I have my doubts.

beyaaah
01-19-2010, 8:35 PM
+1 for Faith Armory. Visited their store several times and nothing but good service. Even helped me out on a buffer tube nut that I didn't have a tool for.....FOR FREE! Good guys.

xfilterx
01-19-2010, 8:49 PM
+1 for Faith Armory. The owner Nate is super cool and the place is ultra chill. They just need more H&Ks to fondle but I suppose that's true of any gun store IMO.

+1 for BSP too. Kind of sketchy area and the heathens that come in and out are one screw short of odd but Dan and the other guys that work there are top notch for sure!

cindynles
03-01-2010, 7:37 PM
I don't mean to necro-post this thread, but I thought I would give our IE members an update on the Shootist since I was in there today.

Normally I wouldn't go there based on past purchasing experience, but Faith armory is closed on Mondays, I had some extra time at lunch today, and I hoped that maybe things had gotten better in the last year. My company is giving out our annual bonus next week and I am itching to get something new (either a Glock 34 or SA 1911 Mil-Spec). I figured looking at some in person would help with the decision.

So the good news first, they have gotten on board with the OLL movement. I saw 3 S&W M&P stripped lowers in the case for sale.

The bad news: they seem to have 2 sets of prices. I checked there web site for pricing before heading over. A parkerized SA 1911A1 (PB9108LP) is listed on www.theshootistguns.com for $649.62, the in store price was $730. When asked about the difference I was told that you have to order it on-line to get the cheaper price :confused:.

Sadly some FUD is still alive and well in this shop. While looking at the Glocks the subject of large capacity mags came up. The sales person was adamant that you couldn't use or possess these mags without a receipt proving you purchased them before 01/01/2000. I tried to explain that this is not the case and that I use mine all the time and I don't have any receipts. I also tried to explain that there is no law against possession of these mags, but to no avail. I tried to refer the salesman to calguns.net, but the response was not very positive, something along the lines of "you can't believe the stuff you read on the internet".

So overall things have gotten better (OLLs for sale), the FUD level has decreased but is still present, and their prices tend to be on the high side when compared with Faith Armory. I gave them a shot, but it looks like I am going to make my purchase at Faith Armory (Glock 34 by the way).

ChuckBooty
03-01-2010, 8:19 PM
I don't mean to necro-post this thread, but I thought I would give our IE members an update on the Shootist since I was in there today.

Normally I wouldn't go there based on past purchasing experience, but Faith armory is closed on Mondays, I had some extra time at lunch today, and I hoped that maybe things had gotten better in the last year. My company is giving out our annual bonus next week and I am itching to get something new (either a Glock 34 or SA 1911 Mil-Spec). I figured looking at some in person would help with the decision.

So the good news first, they have gotten on board with the OLL movement. I saw 3 S&W M&P stripped lowers in the case for sale.

The bad news: they seem to have 2 sets of prices. I checked there web site for pricing before heading over. A parkerized SA 1911A1 (PB9108LP) is listed on www.theshootistguns.com for $649.62, the in store price was $730. When asked about the difference I was told that you have to order it on-line to get the cheaper price :confused:.

Sadly some FUD is still alive and well in this shop. While looking at the Glocks the subject of large capacity mags came up. The sales person was adamant that you couldn't use or possess these mags without a receipt proving you purchased them before 01/01/2000. I tried to explain that this is not the case and that I use mine all the time and I don't have any receipts. I also tried to explain that there is no law against possession of these mags, but to no avail. I tried to refer the salesman to calguns.net, but the response was not very positive, something along the lines of "you can't believe the stuff you read on the internet".

So overall things have gotten better (OLLs for sale), the FUD level has decreased but is still present, and their prices tend to be on the high side when compared with Faith Armory. I gave them a shot, but it looks like I am going to make my purchase at Faith Armory (Glock 34 by the way).

You should have said, "...you mean like the PENAL CODE?!" LOL! I'm glad they're finally on the OLL bandwagon (ironically they gave me the exact same line when I asked about OLL's a year ago) but the FUD is infuriating there. Still won't shop there.

StraightShooter
03-01-2010, 8:22 PM
They suck period!! I wont even go in there for cleaning supplies.

cindynles
03-01-2010, 8:31 PM
I think that having Faith open up "down the street" is forcing them to come around on a lot of issues. They used to be the only game in town, so you either had to put up with the FUD/prices or take at least an hour drive.

If they only knew how much business they are about to miss out on. I work for a large company in town and we are all getting a very nice annual bonus next week. There are many of us who will be heading over to Faith to get our bonus toys. The word is out at work, I hope Faith can handle the demand they are going to see starting next week. We may clean them out of inventory :jump:

RugerFanMan
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
The guys at Faith were great. I bought a new MKIII there that had a bent ejector rod that was causing the casings to eject to the side opposite the port. After trying to have their in-house guy fix it, they had to send it to Ruger. Took a bit, but the customer service was great. Not to mention they were the only place that I could find 9mm for a long time out here.

I bought a 30/06 from the Shootist about a year ago. That will be my last purchase there. What a horrible ordeal, not to mention their prices and customer service are atrocious.

tazmanian devil dog
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I visit my kids down in Temecula and I have been to the "Shootist". They suck. Period end of chapter.

tenpercentfirearms
03-02-2010, 6:31 AM
The idea that if they order a large cap Glock that the gun comes with no magazines is pretty absurd. That gun shipped with two magazines and now they are just going to keep them and charge you the normal price for a Glock? If my Glock game without those two magazines, I would be asking for a $50 discount or I would go somewhere else. And if they gave me some bull crap excuse, I would say, "Hey, it is your responsibility to take care of the customer. Charging me full price on a Glock that is missing two mags is your responsibility, not mine. Your failure to take care of the customer is causing me to walk right on out of here and go over to Faith Armory where they know how to take care of the customer. Have a nice day."

I get large cap Glocks when I have to, but you bet that I order two more 10 round magazines and make sure that Glock comes with two magazines for $575. The fact I have even more large cap Glock magazines sitting in my store is not your problem so I don't involve you in it.

coolusername2007
03-02-2010, 9:40 AM
I visit my kids down in Temecula and I have been to the "Shootist". They suck. Period end of chapter.

In Temecula the place to go is Faith Armory. Very friendly atmosphere, and excellent service!

evidens83
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
+1 for Faith Armory. Nate and his staff are very professional and they are OLL friendly!