PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Blanks on the 1st

diginit
12-31-2008, 4:27 PM
I was just wondering about the legalities of firing a few blanks tonight.
I can't think of any except disturbing the peace. As long as I don't branish the rifle or use live ammo, What repercussions might I expect?
This new gunshot locator has me curious. TIA

WokMaster1
12-31-2008, 4:31 PM
Not a good idea. Please don't do it. Especially in a city like Santa Clara. It may be just for fun but the odds are really good that you WILL get into a lot of trouble if you are caught. Plus this site is monitored by LE agencies.....

diginit
12-31-2008, 4:41 PM
That's why I asked. How could I get into alot of trouble if I'm not violating the CA. Penal Codes? I have found nothing against it in 12025 or 12026.
Can anyone elaborate?

Got Stuff?
12-31-2008, 4:43 PM
IIRC "Discharge of a firearm" applies regardless of ammo used (even blanks).

ETA: Maybe there's something in the local ordinances about discharge of a firearm within city limits?

Shotgun Man
12-31-2008, 4:58 PM
This new gunshot locator has me curious. TIA

Can someone tell me how these gunshot locators work?

I googled it the other night but couldn't find anything substantive.

Are there different types? What would a CA LEA likely have?

DiscoBayJoe
12-31-2008, 5:01 PM
Sounds like a bad bad idea.

A better Idea would be to hold the Blanks in a pair of Vice Grips and use a ball-peen hammer. I haven't seen any PC regarding discharge of a Vice Grip within city limits! ;)

Vacaville
12-31-2008, 5:02 PM

From what I understand they have at least three microphones surrounding an area and then use the differences in volume to triangulate the position of the gunshot. Supposed to narrow it down to a fairly small area.

Fjold
Why would you want to do this? Is it just to make noise?

Put a steel bucket on your head and let someone hit it with a baseball bat, it accomplishes the same thing.

TonyM

ETA: Maybe there's something in the local ordinances about discharge of a firearm within city limits?

Correct! Don't even try this, it's not worth it.

ShotSpotter.

http://www.shotspotter.com/products/technology.html

Stormfeather
12-31-2008, 5:03 PM
Dont do it man, not worth it, dont even try to sneak it in hoping you dont get caught.

Gunshot Locators work like sonar. We use a boomerang system in the military, works really super good/super bad! When its working, its balls on, when it not, well, it is junk!

Shotgun Man
12-31-2008, 5:11 PM
Correct! Don't even try this, it's not worth it.

ShotSpotter.

http://www.shotspotter.com/products/technology.html

Thanks. I sure hope the police cannot enter a residence or get a warrant based upon this type of tech.

TonyM
12-31-2008, 5:25 PM
Thanks. I sure hope the police cannot enter a residence or get a warrant based upon this type of tech.

Not sure if it works from indoors.

The demo on TV I saw showed that they can narrow it down to a couple feet in some areas and I wouldn't doubt that this would probably be enough for a warrant if it led them to the center of your backyard.

Splinter
12-31-2008, 5:36 PM
I dont see how it could tell the difference between a blank being fired off, and a firework?

TonyM
12-31-2008, 5:38 PM
I dont see how it could tell the difference between a blank being fired off, and a firework?

SPL and the type of crack.

IIRC the computer system can detect different types of calibers being used. At least thats what I remember them alluding to, small caliber .22, large caliber rifle, or handgun.

Soundwaves are like fingerprints in this situation.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-31-2008, 5:39 PM
Like you don't shoot blanks every other night....:eek:

becxltoo984
12-31-2008, 5:42 PM
This has to be a Joke ? Right ????

Got Stuff?
12-31-2008, 5:45 PM
Like you don't shoot blanks every other night....:eek:

:2: :kest: :rofl2: :popcorn:

Technical Ted
12-31-2008, 5:47 PM
Santa Clara City Municipal Code http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/santaclara/frameless/code.pl?cite=9.05.120#9.05.120 :
9.05.120 Weapons – Discharging of firearms restricted. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge, fire, or project (or cause to be projected, fired, or discharged), within the corporate limits of the City, a projectile weapon. For purposes of this section, projectile weapons shall be referred to as "firearms." Firearms shall include, but not be limited to, any gun, rifle, pistol, firearm, cannon (or explosive device of similar nature), air rifle, air pistol, air gun, BB gun, gas operated gun, pellet gun, flare gun, dart gun, paint gun, bow, crossbow, slungshot, slingshot, wrist rocket, or any instrument of any kind, character, or description which expels, launches, or propels a projectile of any kind with sufficient force to cause damage to property, or injury or death to a person or persons.

The foregoing provisions as to the use of firearms shall not apply to: (a) peace officers or soldiers in the discharge of their official duties and while in the exercise of reasonable care; (b) a person using firearms in necessary self defense; (c) a person, as defined by SCCC 1.05.020, conducting a fixed place of business in the City and which has obtained City approval for the particular land use and which has obtained all other City Code, regulation, and policy approvals; (d) schools conducting supervised classes, such as archery classes; (e) such other activities which first secure permission from the City Council to conduct the activity. (Ord. 217; Ord. 1224 1, 1-27-70; Ord. 1651 1, 11-16-93. Formerly 18-22).You may be shooting blanks, but 1) the firearm would still be considered a projectile weapon and 2) you'd have to prove that you were shooting blanks.

Captain Evilstomper
12-31-2008, 5:48 PM
This has to be a Joke ? Right ????

that's what i thought.
plus
If it even seems like something you could get in trouble for in California, chances are that it's illegal or at least something that will get you tossed in the clink until you convince the DA after spending tens of thousands of dollars and months of your time that what you did isn't prosecutable the way the civil code is written.

RT13
12-31-2008, 5:48 PM
DO NOT bring any unwanted attention to yourself. Blanks or not, the "BANG" sound is what brings you the attention, not so much the bullet to the air. You do not want to explain or deal with any cops regarding firearms period. Don't make good responsible gunowners look bad. There will be enough of those morons and gangbanging losers shooting to the air or someone tonight.

CalNRA
12-31-2008, 5:49 PM
are there laws against starting guns? like for sporting events.....

grammaton76
12-31-2008, 5:52 PM
Don't make good responsible gunowners look bad. There will be enough of those morons and gangbanging losers shooting to the air or someone tonight.

These points cannot possibly be under-emphasized.

When you're out there shooting blanks in the air, everyone's going to think you're yet another jerk shooting real bullets. What kind of example do you think that sets? Heck, people do it because they think everyone else does it.

Don't add to the public perception that it's ok. Every person who stops this idiotic practice of shooting into the air at new year's is another step in the right direction.

Pvt. Cowboy
12-31-2008, 5:53 PM
are there laws against starting guns? like for sporting events.....

I thought that they banned starter's pistols at track meets in California.

Now they ring a Buddhist gong at the same time some hippy woman uses sign language to start the race while another person shouts 'GO!' in Hmong, Vietnamese, Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Spanish, and lastly, in English.

Something like that, I heard.

pingpong
12-31-2008, 5:58 PM
Santa Clara City Municipal Code 9.05.120 Weapons Discharging of firearms restricted. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge, fire, or project (or cause to be projected, fired, or discharged), within the corporate limits of the City, a projectile weapon. For purposes of this section, projectile weapons shall be referred to as "firearms." Firearms shall include, but not be limited to, any gun, rifle, pistol, firearm, cannon (or explosive device of similar nature), air rifle, air pistol, air gun, BB gun, gas operated gun, pellet gun, flare gun, dart gun, paint gun, bow, crossbow, slungshot, slingshot, wrist rocket, or any instrument of any kind, character, or description which expels, launches, or propels a projectile of any kind with sufficient force to cause damage to property, or injury or death to a person or persons.

The foregoing provisions as to the use of firearms shall not apply to: (a) peace officers or soldiers in the discharge of their official duties and while in the exercise of reasonable care; (b) a person using firearms in necessary self defense; (c) a person, as defined by SCCC 1.05.020, conducting a fixed place of business in the City and which has obtained City approval for the particular land use and which has obtained all other City Code, regulation, and policy approvals; (d) schools conducting supervised classes, such as archery classes; (e) such other activities which first secure permission from the City Council to conduct the activity. (Ord. 217; Ord. 1224 1, 1-27-70; Ord. 1651 1, 11-16-93. Formerly 18-22).

Does this include your private residence (i.e. in a house?). The no BB gun or bow things seems really ridiculous...

artherd
12-31-2008, 6:06 PM
Just dump a bunch of firecrackers in the garbage cans at the school and run.

Man the stuff we used to do as kids would get us locked up today.

Celebrate with your loved ones, skip the blanks.

WokMaster1
12-31-2008, 6:35 PM
That's why I asked. How could I get into alot of trouble if I'm not violating the CA. Penal Codes? I have found nothing against it in 12025 or 12026.
Can anyone elaborate?

How much money do you have just to prove that you are right? CA Penal code may not be your problem. City codes as what Technical Ted showed will be up for interpretation by the SCC DA's office.

WokMaster1
12-31-2008, 6:39 PM

If the neighbors tell the responding officers which house it is, they will call in a man with a gun & SWAT will be called out. They won't need a warrant to.....well, you get the picture & it will be ugly.

yellowfin
12-31-2008, 7:11 PM
My younger brother in another state has tannerite. :D

As for me, the wife's on the pill, so no need to shoot blanks.

383green
12-31-2008, 7:38 PM
9.05.120 Weapons – Discharging of firearms restricted. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge, fire, or project (or cause to be projected, fired, or discharged), within the corporate limits of the City, a projectile weapon. For purposes of this section, projectile weapons shall be referred to as "firearms." Firearms shall include, but not be limited to, any gun, rifle, pistol, firearm, cannon (or explosive device of similar nature), air rifle, air pistol, air gun, BB gun, gas operated gun, pellet gun, flare gun, dart gun, paint gun, bow, crossbow, slungshot, slingshot, wrist rocket, or any instrument of any kind, character, or description which expels, launches, or propels a projectile of any kind with sufficient force to cause damage to property, or injury or death to a person or persons.

The way I read this, it's OK to throw a spear by hand in Santa Clara, but it is not OK to throw one using an atlatl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl). :whistling:

otteray
12-31-2008, 7:43 PM

Put a steel bucket on your head and let someone hit it with a baseball bat, it accomplishes the same thing.

Damn and right on! Thanks, Fjold!
I am going next door and across the street to the friggin' brainless and rude, spoiled, from-out-of-town, renter UCSC undergraduate students there, right now, and suggest just that!
I'll even give 'em the bucket and supply the manpower behind the bat swing!:thumbsup:
Great idea!
Thanks again!

bohoki
12-31-2008, 9:53 PM
is a plastic bottle half full of water and dry ice chips an infernal device or is that only when its a glass bottle?

69Mach1
12-31-2008, 10:02 PM
This is not directed to the original poster, but that kind of activity makes gun owners look very bad.

BitterVoter
12-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, I don't see how putting a bucket on ones head is bad for gun owners. . . :clown:

N6ATF
12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
is a plastic bottle half full of water and dry ice chips an infernal device or is that only when its a glass bottle?

Dude, doesn't matter what bottle it is. I picked up a plastic one off the street, didn't realize it was rigged, unscrewed the cap to dump out the liquid, and the cap damn near dislocated my thumb when it shot off.

If you're going to do that, be sober, and release the pressure immediately.

Mikeb
01-01-2009, 8:13 AM

Oh I know how they work. Take your firecracker cannon out on the front porch. Load 90 gr of BP and 1/4 of a paper towel for a top wad. Light fuse. About 5 min later you'll get a helecopter and two prowel cars cruisaeing the neighborhood.
Let me add that I no longer celebrate the New Year or my Independance with noise. And the cannon sits quietly on the shelf.
take care
Mike

Kid Stanislaus
01-01-2009, 8:18 AM

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

p7m8jg
01-01-2009, 8:21 AM

+1

Don't do it.

bohoki
01-01-2009, 3:50 PM
Dude, doesn't matter what bottle it is. I picked up a plastic one off the street, didn't realize it was rigged, unscrewed the cap to dump out the liquid, and the cap damn near dislocated my thumb when it shot off.

If you're going to do that, be sober, and release the pressure immediately.

that is what the pellet gun is for

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2009, 7:42 PM
Paint guns are illegal to use in Santa Clara? I wonder if the body shops and house painters know that? Yea, I know that the law was dirrected at paintball markers but, all paint guns expell projectiles and can cause damage.

74man
01-01-2009, 7:49 PM
WOULD THE DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM STILL APPLY, EVEN IT THE PISTOL IS A BLANK STARTING PISTOL???

DOESN'T FIREARM MEAN WHATEVER FIRES A PROJECTILE???

N6ATF
01-01-2009, 7:56 PM
that is what the pellet gun is for

I ran into a grey-haired cop the next block down about 45 minutes later, told him about it, he said "no crime" to the dry ice bomb. I wonder what he would have said about carrying a pellet gun and shooting every piece of recycling on the street before I picked it up. :rolleyes:

JandJArmory
01-01-2009, 8:07 PM
Sounds like its another way for California to say "see guns are evil and people that own them are irresponsible, they even talk about doing it on an online forum called CalGuns." Sounds like your not a responsible gun owner use your head and be conscious of keeping your gun rights. Im sure a lot of others have commented in this manner.

Sgt Raven
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Santa Clara City Municipal Code http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/santaclara/frameless/code.pl?cite=9.05.120#9.05.120 :
You may be shooting blanks, but 1) the firearm would still be considered a projectile weapon and 2) you'd have to prove that you were shooting blanks.

Y'all go back and read this code again and think about the cities golf courses.
...snip.... or any instrument of any kind, character, or description which expels, launches, or propels a projectile of any kind with sufficient force to cause damage to property, or injury or death to a person or persons.

grammaton76
01-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Here in San Diego, a former (mentally unstable) mp3.com co-worker actually got time for a dry ice bomb. He chose to bomb his upstairs neighbor's place, so they put the bottle in their freezer to delay things and called the cops. Cops showed up and the bottle blew in the officer's hand as he was taking it out of the freezer... no one was amused.

N6ATF
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Holy ####!

Technical Ted
01-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Y'all go back and read this code again and think about the cities golf courses.
OMG! We need to ban Little League!

jrdejavux
01-02-2009, 8:53 PM
i never heard of these gunshot locators, do they have these locators in san diego ? just curious

DDT
01-03-2009, 1:33 AM
Here in San Diego, a former (mentally unstable) mp3.com co-worker actually got time for a dry ice bomb. He chose to bomb his upstairs neighbor's place, so they put the bottle in their freezer to delay things and called the cops. Cops showed up and the bottle blew in the officer's hand as he was taking it out of the freezer... no one was amused.

What kind of idiot grabs a bomb with his bare hands? Seriously, the "upstairs neighbor" knew the thing was dangerous which is why s/he called the cops in the first place. Please tell me the cop was at least a bomb tech and had proper protection on.

grammaton76
01-03-2009, 1:49 AM
What kind of idiot grabs a bomb with his bare hands? Seriously, the "upstairs neighbor" knew the thing was dangerous which is why s/he called the cops in the first place. Please tell me the cop was at least a bomb tech and had proper protection on.

Beats me. All I know was from the newspaper article, which says the cop got his hand damaged when it exploded as he took the dry ice bomb out of the freezer.