PDA

View Full Version : TEXANS WARM TO OCDO'S PUSH FOR LEGAL TEXAS OPEN CARRY

Liberty1
12-30-2008, 7:19 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/20022.html

For Immediate Release

----

December 28, 2008

Open Carry Movement Aims to Get the Panhandle into the Fire!

Radio Ads Surge Open Carry Petition Over 50,000 Signatures

"Texas Open Carry Working Group" Secures First of Several Likely Bill Sponsor Pledges from Representative Debbie Riddle (R – Houston)

----------------

Last week’s open carry radio ad barrage over the Houston Metroplex was enough to make anybody’s holiday, pushing the online petition to decriminalize open carry of handguns in Texas over 50,000 signatures! See http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.htm.

Even better, Houston’s own Representative Debbie Riddle, co-author of Texas’ Castle Doctrine law, has told constituents and members of the Texas Open Carry Working Group (led by petition founder and Austin resident Ian McCarthy) that Riddle has drafted and is planning to introduce an open carry bill.

And in more great news, at least two more Representatives and one Senator are rumored to be warning up open carry bills of their own. And from other reliable information leaking out of Austin, apparently the Texas prosecutors and law enforcement lobbies will not oppose these open carry bills provided the bills include a requirement that unconcealed handguns be carried in holsters.[1]

But now OpenCarry.org turns to the great panhandle of Texas to get Amarillo and Lubbock into the fire before the New Year begins. We are counting on the long standing pro-gun panhandle sentiment to seal the deal on open carry reform in Texas.

Starting Monday, December 29th pro-open carry radio spots will rule both the airwaves and Internet streaming on the following stations:

Lubbock: KFYO AM 790; KFMX FM 94.5; KQBR FM 99.5

Amarillo: KATP 102 FM; KIXZ AM 940

Additionally, OpenCarry.org co-founder, and Killeen, TX homeowner Mike Stollenwerk will be interviewed on the following panhandle stations as follows:

Monday, 29 December:

KKCL FM 98 (taped interview) @ approx. 8AM Central

KZII at 8AM Central (live)

KFYO’s Pratt on Texas @ 6:10 PM Central (live)

Tuesday, 30 December, 2008:

KQBR’s Rick & Jane show at 8:35 AM Central

Meanwhile Ian McCarthy and his Texas Open Carry Working Group team (including fluent **Spanish speaker** Raul Rodriguez from San Antonio) stand ready for more interviews and commentary anywhere in Texas.

But in an important administrative note, while OpenCarry.org is proud of its success in helping its Texas members restore their rights, this has not come free, and as Christmas shopping went on, and recession news kept comin’, our contributions to the Texas campaign have fallen behind our radio ad spending schedule at http://www.opencarry.org/thunder.html. If more donations do not come in by January 1st, we will not be able to run our planned ad campaigns in El Paso and the Austin-Waco I-35 corridor.

OpenCarry.org hereby invokes the “NATO doctrine of gun rights” –– and asks for donations from Americans in every state.

The fact that Texas is one of only 6 states[2] to ban open carry is not the point - an infringement on open carry rights in any state, is an infringement on all!

Give now at http://www.opencarry.org/thunder.html.

###

Media Contacts:
OpenCarry.org co-founders:
John Pierce: John@OpenCarry.org
Mike Stollenwerk: Mike@Opencarry.org

Texas Open Carry Working Group:
Ian McCarthy, Petition Founder and Chair of the Texas Open Carry Working Group, TexasOpenCarry@gmail.com (Austin)
Duane Suddeth, DKSuddeth@gmail.com, Vice-Chair of the Texas Open Carry Working Group, (Dallas-Fort Worth)
Aaron Poffenberger, Legislative Operations Officer, akp@hypernote.com, (Houston)
Ralph Carroll, r-carroll1@ti.com, Day Phone: (Van Zandt County)
Dennis Patterson, DPatterson2095@hotmail.com, (Austin)
Lori Dodson, LoriDodson@gmail.com, (Houston)
Sean Johnson, seanjohnson@att.net, (Dallas-Ft. Worth)
Raul Rodriguez, Spanish Speaking Spokesman, r-rodriguez10@prodigy.net, (San Antonio)

[1] A few states have holster requirements, but most do not. ]Nonetheless, holsters are always a good idea.

[2] See map at http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html.

Attachment: Texas Open Carry Release December 28, 2008 no phone numbers.doc (Downloaded 5 times)

rod
12-30-2008, 7:51 PM
Yay!!!!:clap: It's a great feeling to open carry. Everyone should try it.

pullnshoot25
12-30-2008, 7:56 PM
Yay!!!!:clap: It's a great feeling to open carry. Everyone should try it.

WOO HOO!

hoffmang
12-30-2008, 9:12 PM
But a 5th Circuit decision saying states can't ban OC under the 2A/14A would be so much better...

I know it going to just get legislated but I guy can dream.

-Gene

Seesm
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
We need this is CA.

sorensen440
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
We need this is CA.

agreed
LOC and CCW
it would be awesome to have the choice

Seesm
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
I think "Overall" we would have LESS crime... LESS I SAID!!

YOu would loose a few bad men early on but it would be a cleaning process of sorts...

6 months down the road... I bet the #'s go down in crime...

A little more bad guy death but overall a really "happy" place to live...

CCWFacts
12-31-2008, 1:44 AM
I know it going to just get legislated but a guy can dream.

But doesn't legislation like this help? Especially if the leg. could include some wording saying, "we're passing this because open carry is a protected right, and we need our legislation to be consistent with that right"? The more state legislatures recognize this right, it makes the exercise of bearing arms seem more common, which would help it pass whatever judicial test they come up with?

I realize the 5th circ. (TX, LA, MI) would be a great pro-gun place to challenge various laws so it would be nice to have some laws to challenge there. Maybe that's a good place for the more aggressive (reaching) cases, like challenging aspects of the NFA?

Seesm
12-31-2008, 1:50 AM
But doesn't legislation like this help? Especially if the leg. could include some wording saying, "we're passing this because open carry is a protected right, and we need our legislation to be consistent with that right"? The more state legislatures recognize this right, it makes the exercise of bearing arms seem more common, which would help it pass whatever judicial test they come up with?

I realize the 5th circ. (TX, LA, MI) would be a great pro-gun place to challenge various laws so it would be nice to have some laws to challenge there. Maybe that's a good place for the more aggressive (reaching) cases, like challenging aspects of the NFA?

I think it can't hurt but what about my "less crime" yes no maybe?
:)

CCWFacts
12-31-2008, 1:57 AM
I think it can't hurt but what about my "less crime" yes no maybe?
:)

If OC becomes legal in TX, you'll probably go from 0% OC to about 0.1% OC (excluding LEOs and security guards who already OC).

Will an extra 0.1% of the population OCing make any practical, measurable difference to anything? I don't think so.

In contrast, in TX probably quite a lot of people (low single-digit percentages) CCW, and that does make a difference.

I could be wrong on the 0.1% concept. Guns are more socially acceptable there than here, so maybe a lot more people would start strapping on a gun there. If some significant number of people do that it would cut crime some.

But even in the other states where OC has long been legal (NV for example) and guns are socially acceptable, the number of people doing it is tiny (much much less than the number CCWing), so that's my basis for thinking that the number of people who would OC in TX would also be tiny. I get the feeling that many Texans would think it should be legal, but very few would actually want to do it.

Liberty1
12-31-2008, 4:07 AM
The Texas Open Carry petition is now at 50800+ ! http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?texasoc

To: Texas State Legislature and Texas Governor Rick Perry
We hold that all citizens who may lawfully purchase a handgun be allowed to carry openly in public in the State of Texas except for those places prohibited by law. We also call for state preemption of all handgun laws concerning open carry in Texas.

1. Every individual has the right and responsibility to defend their self against unjustified threats of death or serious bodily injury.

2. The Constitution of the United States guarantees the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

3. Criminals are not deterred by rules, regulations, and laws forbidding the possession of weapons. A man bent on mass murder will not be stopped by a rule forbidding him to have a gun.

4. It is well known that the requirement to conceal a handgun for the purpose of protecting self, friends, and family can be difficult especially in Texas with our extreme heat since a person will usually have to wear a jacket to properly conceal a handgun and to avoid "printing."

5. The requirement to conceal a handgun can make it difficult to draw the weapon should the life of the carrier or the life of someone else be in danger.

6. A criminal will not open carry a weapon because he does not want to draw attention to himself. We believe that a citizen openly carrying a handgun lawfully will be a deterrent for crime.

7. Ten states including Arizona, Alaska, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, Vermont, and Wyoming all allow open carry of handguns without a license. Twelve states including Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, and Tennessee allow open carry of handguns with a license. In fact, Texas is one of only SIX states in the entire United States that completely bans open carry of handguns.

8. In these states, Open carry is very common and it does not alarm law enforcement or other citizens.

For the foregoing reasons, we residents of the State of Texas affirm and assert that all citizens who may lawfully purchase a handgun be allowed to carry openly in public in the State of Texas except for those places prohibited by law. We also call for state preemption of all handgun laws concerning open carry in Texas.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Decoligny
12-31-2008, 7:50 AM
If OC becomes legal in TX, you'll probably go from 0% OC to about 0.1% OC (excluding LEOs and security guards who already OC).

Will an extra 0.1% of the population OCing make any practical, measurable difference to anything? I don't think so.

In contrast, in TX probably quite a lot of people (low single-digit percentages) CCW, and that does make a difference.

I could be wrong on the 0.1% concept. Guns are more socially acceptable there than here, so maybe a lot more people would start strapping on a gun there. If some significant number of people do that it would cut crime some.

But even in the other states where OC has long been legal (NV for example) and guns are socially acceptable, the number of people doing it is tiny (much much less than the number CCWing), so that's my basis for thinking that the number of people who would OC in TX would also be tiny. I get the feeling that many Texans would think it should be legal, but very few would actually want to do it.

One thing you haven't taken into consideration. In Texas, of the wind blows your shirt up and someone catches a glimpse of your gun, you can be arrested. If someone can see the outline of your gun through your shirt, you can be arrested. You might beat the conviction, but you can be arrested, and it seems it would be a legitimate arrest under what I have heard about their laws.

Legalizing open carry also ELIMINATES the requirement to pay the State for a permission slip to exercise a RIGHT.

CCWFacts
12-31-2008, 8:00 AM
One thing you haven't taken into consideration. In Texas, of the wind blows your shirt up and someone catches a glimpse of your gun, you can be arrested. ....

I was only responding to the other question about OC and crime. I think that legalizing OC will have NO practical impact on crime. I myself would probably not want to OC. But I support legalizing it, in TX and here. (I realize it's already legal here, but is subject to a whole lot of limitations which make it of little practical use, IMO.)

M. Sage
12-31-2008, 8:11 AM
I was only responding to the other question about OC and crime. I think that legalizing OC will have NO practical impact on crime. I myself would probably not want to OC. But I support legalizing it, in TX and here. (I realize it's already legal here, but is subject to a whole lot of limitations which make it of little practical use, IMO.)

They're right about the heat in Texas, though. I'm not looking forward too much to wearing a cover garment over a handgun (though I am looking forward to buying a smaller handgun). It'd just be easier and more comfortable to slip my paddle holster on, drop my P220 into it and walk out the door.

pullnshoot25
12-31-2008, 2:18 PM
This is so freaking rad. FREE TEXAS!

Do you think legalizing open carry in Texas will pave the way for laws here in Kalifornia?

grammaton76
12-31-2008, 4:09 PM
This is so freaking rad. FREE TEXAS!

Do you think legalizing open carry in Texas will pave the way for laws here in Kalifornia?

Since when has any gun law in Texas made an impact on California laws?

I mean, c'mon... other than Calguns types, Californians think of Texas as a bunch of rednecks and cattle, with only Austin being "normal". I really doubt it'll make a difference in CA, unless perhaps it makes CA go "Hey, TX did this, it must be loony".

N6ATF
12-31-2008, 4:22 PM
Ditto. Whatever TX does, CA would be more likely to do the exact opposite of.

Kid Stanislaus
12-31-2008, 8:42 PM
Ditto. Whatever TX does, CA would be more likely to do the exact opposite of.

And just WHY NOT? Everybody know Texas if populated by a bunch wild, drunk cowboys who are just LOOK'N for an excuse to ride into town and shoot up the saloon!!:D

pullnshoot25
12-31-2008, 11:44 PM

I mean, c'mon... other than Calguns types, Californians think of Texas as a bunch of rednecks and cattle, with only Austin being "normal". I really doubt it'll make a difference in CA, unless perhaps it makes CA go "Hey, TX did this, it must be loony".

Even I have dreams that are at times hallucinatory... :(

nicki
01-01-2009, 2:04 AM
Never been to Texas, however they have no state Income Tax, some of their highways have daytime speed limits of 80mph, they allow full auto weapons.

Open carry would be great and I hope it happens, but they still have alot of other good things going for them.

Probably the best thing about Texas is they have Ron Paul and he gets reelected with 70 percent of the vote.

Nicki

Window_Seat
01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I used to drive a class 8 truck (big truck) in TX, but I have never seen any person other than a LEO open carry. I would definitely consider moving to TX if this passes, but there is only one problem... I don't know anyone in TX, and everyone I know wouldn't touch it with a this or that...:(

Erik; wishing with slobbering jealousy

yellowfin
01-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Wrong. It will further back the antis in a corner because it will provide a very large stage for disproving their nonsense. Texas is very good as a hotbed of pro 2A activities because it has large cities that are not controlled by leftists. It also like Florida and Ohio has a large number of pro gun Congressional votes, so more people used to carry rights voting means more pro 2A national influence. Further, Texas has a lot of major universities which lots of out of state students attend, so more pro 2A exposure via open carry will counteract the anti gun programming. This is OC evangelism at its best.

That Texas is the anti California is a good thing so you people should be glad of it rather than lampooning it. OC in good states is a WWII solution to the anti 2A problem.

Liberty1
01-01-2009, 5:47 PM
OCDO's Texas Radio Ads http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/19127.html

grammaton76
01-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Wrong. It will further back the antis in a corner because it will provide a very large stage for disproving their nonsense. Texas is very good as a hotbed of pro 2A activities because it has large cities that are not controlled by leftists. It also like Florida and Ohio has a large number of pro gun Congressional votes, so more people used to carry rights voting means more pro 2A national influence. Further, Texas has a lot of major universities which lots of out of state students attend, so more pro 2A exposure via open carry will counteract the anti gun programming. This is OC evangelism at its best.

This is good on a national level and as a federal testbed, sure. However, you're missing the point, which was strictly CA.

Heller and such is more likely to force the issue of LOC on a national level, than Texan law is likely to influence California in a positive direction.

By no means do I think of Texas's increased freedom as a bad thing. On the other hand, believing that rational analysis of gun control will actually influence an emotionally-driven state such as CA is setting yourself up for disappointment.

That Texas is the anti California is a good thing so you people should be glad of it rather than lampooning it. OC in good states is a WWII solution to the anti 2A problem.

I'd really love for you to re-read my post and see where I was lampooning Texas, because I wasn't. As stated, most Californians other than Calgunner types have a very negative perception of Texas.

Kid Stanislaus
01-02-2009, 7:43 PM
I'd give my left gonad to escape the PRC and land in Texas!

M. Sage
01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd give my left gonad to escape the PRC and land in Texas!

Just pay for half the moving truck and you can join me!