PDA

View Full Version : I Thought CA Was Bad. Mass. Range Law

Cru Jones
12-30-2008, 9:47 AM
I was reading the news about "wacky" laws this morning and thought this was interesting...

7. At shooting ranges in Massachusetts, it is illegal to shoot at targets depicting a human -- whether as a figure, effigy or a silhouette -- unless you're a public safety officer performing official duties.

liketoshoot
12-30-2008, 9:51 AM
I found out today that you need a permit to buy a BB gun in NJ, yes the same as buying a real gun.
In light of this news we do have it better here then some places.

bwiese
12-30-2008, 9:59 AM
CA laws aren't as bad as we think.
They indeed go overboard in certain areas.
But some of the laws in NY NJ MD and MA are fare worse - even though some of those folks may be able to have a few guns we can't (yet) have.

xrMike
12-30-2008, 11:05 AM
7. At shooting ranges in Massachusetts, it is illegal to shoot at targets depicting a human -- whether as a figure, effigy or a silhouette -- unless you're a public safety officer performing official duties.They have the same rule at Laguna Seca; not sure how zealously it's enforced though...

Captain Evilstomper
12-30-2008, 11:48 AM
no IPSC in MA then

Decoligny
12-30-2008, 1:26 PM
I was reading the news about "wacky" laws this morning and thought this was interesting...

7. At shooting ranges in Massachusetts, it is illegal to shoot at targets depicting a human -- whether as a figure, effigy or a silhouette -- unless you're a public safety officer performing official duties.

Just print up your own targets with a large circle target with a smaller circle target above it. Center of Mass, Center of Head. You still train for the target areas that you would be shooting in a Self Defense situation, but technically it's not a human target.

M. Sage
12-30-2008, 2:05 PM
Just print up your own targets with a large circle target with a smaller circle target above it. Center of Mass, Center of Head. You still train for the target areas that you would be shooting in a Self Defense situation, but technically it's not a human target.

It doesn't have the same psychological training value as shooting at a human-shaped target. Most people won't be able to put the sights on target and fire when push comes to shove without practicing on person-looking targets.

yellowfin
12-30-2008, 2:39 PM
However dumb the target law may be, nothing tops how dumb it is to be discouraged or disallowed from holstering one's sidearm at a range in this state. No other state I've been in has this absurd rule. Yes, yes, I've heard the "See all those holes in the ceiling?" comments, but intelligent folks that know what they're doing shouldn't be punished because some folks out here didn't have a dad or a brain.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-30-2008, 2:47 PM
They have the same rule at Laguna Seca; not sure how zealously it's enforced though...

I believe most public ranges have the same rule. I remember after 9/11 I printed out some page size photo's of Osama and headed off to the range. When the RO noticed I had the printouts he asked me what I was going to do with them. I told the truth, I planned on shooting them. I don't believe he personally had an issue, he was just following the rules of no shooting targets of people.

I got around the rule by putting the Osama pictures underneath a typical target with the bullseye lined up between Osama's eyes. Worked great.

gcvt
12-30-2008, 6:06 PM
No human-like targets at Chabot either.

rbgaynor
12-30-2008, 6:16 PM
no IPSC in MA then

Isn't that what the IPSC amoeba - er classic - target is for?

http://www.irvingtonarms.com/assets/images/IPSC_Classic_Target_Clean_160.jpg

Here in San Diego Iron-Sights in Oceanside, Project 200 in El Cajon and, last I checked, American Shooting Center in Kearny Mesa allow silhouette targets.

rod
12-30-2008, 7:54 PM
What about zombie targets? They're not really human.

BlueOvalBruin
12-30-2008, 7:58 PM

Here in San Diego Iron-Sights in Oceanside, Project 200 in El Cajon and, last I checked, American Shooting Center in Kearny Mesa allow silhouette targets.

I like Iron-sights' famous wife-beater dude.

As far as Mass goes, they shoot regular IDPA silhouette targets there. The IDPA indoor national championship is held at the S&W shooting center in springfield, mass where they use regular targets.

rbgaynor
12-30-2008, 8:08 PM
I like Iron-Sights

True. I believe we both shot plenty of silhouettes there last Sunday. :D

pullnshoot25
12-30-2008, 8:18 PM
However dumb the target law may be, nothing tops how dumb it is to be discouraged or disallowed from holstering one's sidearm at a range in this state. No other state I've been in has this absurd rule. Yes, yes, I've heard the "See all those holes in the ceiling?" comments, but intelligent folks that know what they're doing shouldn't be punished because some folks out here didn't have a dad or a brain.

+1. Totally farking stupid rule. Luckily, Iron Sights isn't so bad. I go in there with a chest rig and my Single Six with my Mark II strapped strongside and have no issues with it.

tetris
12-30-2008, 8:19 PM

This is not actually true. If the shooting range has a club license from the Commonwealth, then this is a condition of the license. However, if they chose to not have the state license and go the other route (which escapes me at the moment) then this condition does not apply. There are, if I remember correctly, only two or so clubs in the entire state with such a license. Almost no clubs have this rule.

Annie Oakley
12-30-2008, 8:29 PM
All I ever use are targets with people printed on them. The range I go to gives you a choice. So I pick the ones with the men and women that have weapons. Some of the women I have invited to shoot with me ask me why I shoot at people. My response is simple, I don't have a fear of being attacked by circles.

otalps
12-30-2008, 8:39 PM
All I ever use are targets with people printed on them. The range I go to gives you a choice. So I pick the ones with the men and women that have weapons. Some of the women I have invited to shoot with me ask me why I shoot at people. My response is simple, I don't have a fear of being attacked by circles.

It's those damn triangles that you have to watch out for.:D

M. Sage
12-30-2008, 9:11 PM
No human-like targets at Chabot either.

Only on the public lines. They're allowed (and used) in competition. What I've heard is that there was a bad PR incident where some far-left Bay Area agitprop rag (probably the Guardian...) Photoshopped kids with .22s in front of silhouette targets that other people had been using.

Triangles? Those aren't dangerous, it's the dodecahedrons that'll get you!

Death by geometry!

otalps
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Triangles? Those aren't dangerous, it's the dodecahedrons that'll get you!

Death by geometry!

I think you have a point. Maybe it's the symmetry. Perhaps we should really watch out for trapezoids, those f'ers can sneak up on you all assymetrical like.

Seesm
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I think you have a point. Maybe it's the symmetry. Perhaps we should really watch out for trapezoids, those f'ers can sneak up on you all assymetrical like.

Best post yet in this thread....

But on what a poster said a few back about Osama pics...WTF?

OK now hold on we can ban using "people" targets maybe but is Osama a person or a animal?

dreyna14
12-30-2008, 10:50 PM
This reminds me of one the Bubba the Love Sponge show when Ned called the police department who discontinued using targets with black silhouettes because it might be racist. Funniest ****. I'm trying to find a link to it, but I'm coming up empty handed here.

pullnshoot25
12-31-2008, 12:29 AM

HAAHH this is a good one.

becxltoo984
12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey how about New Jersey . possession of Hollow Point Ammo Is a Felony !

joe schmoe
12-31-2008, 6:19 AM
Hey how about New Jersey . possession of Hollow Point Ammo Is a Felony !

If in a loaded firearm, it *may* be a crime. However possession by itself (by a person not prohibited from owning a firearm/ammo) is not necessarily against the law.

M. Sage
12-31-2008, 8:03 AM

Yeah, they're expert at asymmetrical warfare!

Ironchef
12-31-2008, 8:14 AM
Concord USI follows this rule of no sillhouettes as well. I'll do an 8" target and a 4" target when shooting handguns.

grammaton76
12-31-2008, 4:38 PM
Personally, I don't like dark silhouettes. You can't use masking tape to refurbish the target in between mags. :)

N6ATF
12-31-2008, 11:15 PM
What if you make a target snowman? Not human!

emc002
12-31-2008, 11:32 PM
This reminds me of one the Bubba the Love Sponge show when Ned called the police department who discontinued using targets with black silhouettes because it might be racist. Funniest ****. I'm trying to find a link to it, but I'm coming up empty handed here.

California Dept of Corrections (And Rehablahblah) stopped using black targets. Went to green because I guess it's ok to be racist against aliens.
:rolleyes:

N6ATF
12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Haha, specist!

dixieD
01-01-2009, 8:40 AM
No redcoat targets in Mass. Sad.

Captain Evilstomper
01-01-2009, 1:48 PM

i forgot about those, i hate those targets BTW

dixieD
01-01-2009, 2:45 PM
Concord USI follows this rule of no sillhouettes as well. I'll do an 8" target and a 4" target when shooting handguns.

I;ve shot the Army qualification and the Appleseed Red Coats there without any problems. They are half-sillhouettes so maybe they are abstract enough that the RO don't care.