PDA

View Full Version : What detergent to use to wash your camo in?

Sky_DiveR
12-29-2008, 5:48 PM
I was wondering what detergent to use to wash your hunting/camoflage clothes in? I was told not to use normal detergent cuz it contains UV brighteners.

Thefeeder
12-29-2008, 7:02 PM
It dosn't matter...realy! Take it from an Old Far*.

A freind said it best:

" The less fish they catch, the more cr*p they buy"

Sky_DiveR
12-29-2008, 7:28 PM
It dosn't matter...realy! Take it from an Old Far*.

A freind said it best:

" The less fish they catch, the more cr*p they buy"

Thanks. I didn't think so. The ducks, pheasants, & quail that fell from the sky in front of me didn't seem to mind either! Thought maybe it would be different with 4-legged creatures.

timmyb21
12-29-2008, 7:46 PM
I wash mine in pine sap and campfire coals. That way they can't smell you either... ;) Srsly, just wash them. Only wear them when actually hunting, not whole sitting around the campfire. They smell less like you that way.

jmlivingston
12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Use just a little bit of Pine Sol - it keeps the mosquito's away (seriously!).

Sky_DiveR
12-30-2008, 2:13 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. :cheers2:

I never thought of Pine-Sol. How much do you use? A capful? Do you store it in a ziplock to keep the smell in?

If that really works, then I'll be the envy of all my fishin' buddies! :whistling:

jmlivingston
12-30-2008, 6:36 AM
1/2 cup... http://www.pinesol.com/original.shtml

Many years ago I was living in a single-wide that was damaged by a storm while I was gone. Came back and everything was drenched, had been for a week! :mad: Washed my BDU's in pine-sol to kill any mildew etc, then went to Ft. Bragg for a field exercise. My BDU's smelled piney fresh and I was the only one not bothered by mosquitos, but only when wearing the BDU's washed in Pine-Sol.

Before you do too many clothes in it, try it one set just make sure you can handle that much pine scent...

John

smokingloon
12-30-2008, 8:26 AM
10104. COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORMS. In order to maximize service life and maintain optimum performance, the following instruction should be followed when caring for the uniform.

1. Wash in warm water and mild detergent containing no optical brightener or bleach. Tumble dray at low hear (to to exceed 130 F). Remove immediately for the dryer and fold flat or place on a rustproof hanger to ensure heat from the dryer does not set wrinkles. to drip dry, remove from the washer/water and place on a rustproof hanger. Do not wring or twist.

2. A hand iron set on low heat may be used to individually press areas such collar points or pocket flaps to help maintain a neat appearance. Care should be taken when pressing creases, as the uniform is manufactured with permanent creases. Improper pressing may result in multiple permanent creases. No new creases may be created.

3. The use of starch, sizing and any process that involves dry-cleaning or a steam press will adversely affect the treatments and durability of the uniform and is not authorized. (ALMAR 015/02)

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCh10.htm#ur10103

This is my understanding of the new digital camouflage as it hinders the night vision capabilities of the digital pattern. I don't think it matters with the old school woodlands or with hunting clothing.

Sky_DiveR
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
1/2 cup... http://www.pinesol.com/original.shtml

Many years ago I was living in a single-wide that was damaged by a storm while I was gone. Came back and everything was drenched, had been for a week! :mad: Washed my BDU's in pine-sol to kill any mildew etc, then went to Ft. Bragg for a field exercise. My BDU's smelled piney fresh and I was the only one not bothered by mosquitos, but only when wearing the BDU's washed in Pine-Sol.

Before you do too many clothes in it, try it one set just make sure you can handle that much pine scent...

John

I guess thats one way to find out how to treat clothes as a skeeter repellant. Maybe I can cut down on the PS so it isn't too strong and still repel skeeters. Plus I can see if it is better on grease spots. Wonder what the animals think when they catch a whiff? :pinch:

Only one way to find out. Try it!

Muchos thanks again for the tip. :cheers2:

Sky_DiveR
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
This is my understanding of the new digital camouflage as it hinders the night vision capabilities of the digital pattern. I don't think it matters with the old school woodlands or with hunting clothing.

Perhaps thats where it originally came from. I heard that you stand out from the rest of the background (glow) cuz of the UV brighteners. Kinda like using a flourescent orange clothing when hunting. Probably why an old timer I knew, used to wear a red plaid wool jacket and shirt when hunting for deer. Thought that was just a hunting fashion thing.

Thanks again for the input guys. Really appreciate it. :cheers 2:

TRAP55
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Real Tree did a piece about this on one of their shows. If I remember right, it's the phosphors in the detergent that'll make you light up like a neon sign to deer and some other critters like dove.
Now how they know this puzzles me, did they survey all the animals?:confused::D

Dark&Good
12-31-2008, 4:47 AM
http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sport-wash-residue-free-detergent.html

1lostinspace
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Does you camo have NIR capability? if so then no you don't just wash them.
PM and Ill tell you

yellowfin
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Use Octagon soap. That's what two generations ago of my family used, and probably further back than that, and they put more game on the table than anyone I've seen today.

SgtDinosaur
03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure it really matters unless your game has night vision devices.

5150Marcelo
03-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Use just a little bit of Pine Sol - it keeps the mosquito's away (seriously!).

and the animals youre hunting too huh:p

1lostinspace
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure it really matters unless your game has night vision devices.

I did not know you were hunting animals

Mstnpete
03-08-2009, 4:06 PM
I've always used Scent Killer Liquid clothing wash. Than sprayed my clothes with UV killer than let dry than applied another coat of Scent killer spray.
I've stood still while stocking a doe and she came as close as 20 ft. not knowing I was standing infront of her during a blackpowder hunt in Washington state. It works.

Dark&Good
03-08-2009, 4:33 PM
Deer came close to me many times, without having applied any scent control to my clothing. It's enough to have a good wind direction and not move. The first few times it happened (I wasn't hunting back then) I used to burst in a big laugh eventually, about being invisible to them, which made them jump away - and me, laugh even harder.

tankerman
03-08-2009, 8:07 PM
I use Scent Killer too.

My bow hunting clothes stay in a special container in the garage.

jafount
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
My cammos get washed in scent killer brand detergent and stored in a sealed container with earth scented discs.