PDA

View Full Version : What's the whole story of Miramar Shotgun Sports range being shut down?

Waldog
12-29-2008, 4:26 PM
Does anybody have the whole story on why Miramar Shotgun Sport range is shut down in San Diego? This place has been at Miramar Air Station for 30-40 years. It is leased from the Miltary. Olympic shooters train at this facility!!

The only thing I know is that inspectors found lead over the back fence that landed on MCAS Miramar property. This area is not habitable and the is NO human contact with this area EVER! The lead is in the weeds for heavens sake!

I betting that a new young civilian Public Works Engineer that is anti-gun, anti-lead, is leading this fight.

Does anyone know??

naimad
12-29-2008, 4:40 PM
http://www.sandiegoshotgunsports.com/

rayra
12-29-2008, 9:41 PM
That whole area is military turf and laced with all sorts of garbage. The Reserve Center nearby / just east of the 15fwy opposite the east gate of Miramar is roughly where the old rifle range used to be for NTC San Diego. And the whole Terrasanta neighborhood south of the 52 / east of the 15 was put through the ringer about 16yrs ago when some local kids found some unexploded ordnance in the scrub. The whole region used to be an impact area for mortars and such.

No doubt some ****ing weenies are deliberately applying CA's environmental regs to shut down a gun range.

This is also entirely asinine because the entire area of the range is WITHIN the racetrack pattern flown by Naval & Marine aircraft doing carrier approach training / touch and go landings. That 'environmentally sensitive area' is BATHED IN KEROSENE EXHAUST and has been for 50 years.

This is a travesty. I am beyond disgusted that my Marine Corps is in any way associated with this mealy-mouthed environmental crapola.

eta - just fired off an email to the MCAS Miramar Public Affairs email addy

Sir or Madam

regarding the shutdown of the shotgun range - http://www.sandiegoshotgunsports.com/

What sort of foolishness is going on here? This shotgun range has been in operation for decades under the Navy's prior ownership of MCAS Miramar and generations of Naval and Marine aviators have shot clays there. How is it - and at whose instigation - (has) the issue of lead shot 'suddenly' become a concern?
This is outrageous nonsense. How is it that for decades it was of no concern only to now be used as an excuse to shut down the range now that it has passed into (been leased to) civilian operation?
And calling this an 'environmentally sensitive environment' is equally egregious, given that it's within the confines of the airfield AND the air ops flight pattern, where kerosene exhaust rains down all day.
I had my fill of this sort of environmentalism while training at MCAGCC 29 Palms' Camp Wilson, where the protected desert tortoise grounds overlap the expeditionary airfield.

Truly, I've seen some stupid things in my time in the Marines, but this is ridiculous. Please find some way to correct this fiasco and squelch the nonsense about lead that's lain there for DECADES.

Thank you for your time and attention,
Semper Fidelis.

Former Sergeant rayra, 0844