PDA

View Full Version : so what does it actually cost to transfer/dros a gun ?

hd0642
12-29-2008, 2:11 PM
im sure you all have experienced extremely high pricing for transfers. in my area ive seen them as low as $65 and as high as $200. i called a local shop today and asked them how much to transfer a rifle from an online purchase, the first thing the guy asked me was how much was the gun. i told him and then he gave me a price of $80. what in the heck does the price of the gun matter with what they charge? just wondering what it actually costs the FFL to register a gun and if some of these guys would rather turn down business by outpricing themslves or is their ego just too big, if i was running a store i wouldnt care if a customer got a fantastic deal online. i would dros him for a reasonable fee and he'll be a repeat customer, the lights, insurance and rent still have to get paid.

Douglas711
12-29-2008, 2:32 PM
DROS should be $25. A face to face purchase is max $30 by CA law. Now if you purchase and they bring it in they can charge whatever they want.

What they charge above the $25 is up to the dealer. It is fair to charge above as they are not making money on the gun itself. With that said charging $150 would seem kinda high. $60 seems avergae and fair these days

MKE
12-29-2008, 2:33 PM
For one out-of-state purchase (doesn't matter what type of firearm/rifle), my local FFL charges a flat fee of $50 for the transfer plus $25 to do the DROS. Also add state tax (7.5%) and it's $78 out the door.

AJAX22
12-29-2008, 2:37 PM
DROS should be $25. A face to face purchase is max $30 by CA law. Now if you purchase and they bring it in they can charge whatever they want.

What they charge above the $25 is up to the dealer. It is fair to charge above as they are not making money on the gun itself. With that said charging $150 would seem kinda high. $60 seems avergae and fair these days

Max is actually $35 under CA law for FTF PPT transaction ..

I used a guy in orange county who charged 55 for the first gun on the dros and 20 for each after that...

although Wes over at 10 % has a really neat policy if you buy a gun from him... regarding other rifles you can put on the dros.

Ironchef
12-29-2008, 2:39 PM

Actually, I believe for a face to face 'transfer' a FFL can charge no more than $10 for himself, and then of course the $25 DROS fee. So $35 is the legal limit.

To the OP, if you are running a shop, especially in this economy (panic buying and all), it's an inconvenience to receive, store, DROS, and hold your weapon - that you didn't even buy from the store - for 10 more days..and potentially have to deal with returning it if your DROS fails. Not to mention the time somebody has to take to help you keep them from making sales.

So for that, it seems reasonable that a FFL would charge you based on the weapon you're buying and having him receive/transfer for you. One good thing though, if you pay the FFL a transfer fee like that (aside of the DROS fee which goes to the DOJ for no reason at all), you don't have to feel guilty about not spending a dime in his store...on the other hand, maybe ask the FFL to wave the fee and spend a good $100 or so in his store and see if he's good with that.

In short, put yourself in his shoes.

Douglas711
12-29-2008, 2:40 PM
Misquote it is $35

hawk1
12-29-2008, 2:41 PM
Ask him to break down the charge for you. It could be he is collecting the sales tax as well. Some FFL's will collect the tax, most don't.
He is not limited to what he can charge with a dealer transfer. Shop around as prices vary depending on the FFL.
A private party or face to face is mandated at a maximum $35 fee (not $30 as stated above).

FortCourageArmory
12-29-2008, 2:58 PM
on the other hand, maybe ask the FFL to wave the fee and spend a good $100 or so in his store and see if he's good with that.

Great idea!! I wished more people thought this way.

CSACANNONEER
12-29-2008, 4:12 PM
maybe ask the FFL to wave the fee and spend a good $100 or so in his store and see if he's good with that.

Or, just offer to help pay his rent for the month.

Why does everyone feel that a brick and mortar store should do transfers for free? If they don't make anything on the sale, they need to make something on the transfer just to keep the doors open!

ar15barrels
12-30-2008, 4:36 PM
Why does everyone feel that a brick and mortar store should do transfers for free?

Because it's more convienent to the buyer so he does not have to drive somewhere else to get a cheap transfer from a kitchen table dealer with lower overhead.

74man
12-30-2008, 7:07 PM
I bought a rifle online, local gun shop (only one in town) wanted $100.00 plus $35.00 to do the deal. I only paid $85.00 with shipping and everything. I went to the next town over, about a 20 minute drive to a little gun shop and he did it for $35.00. I have sent a couple of hundred people to him since and have put the BIG BAD MOUTH ON THE LOCAL STORE. The one thing about the local gun store verses the little gun shop is the little gun shop only sells rifles so if you want a pistol you have to use the local store.

rod
12-30-2008, 8:31 PM
I remember paying those prices. I bought a gun the other day and paid $2 to do the background check. It took 15 minutes and I walked out the door WITH my gun!!! I asked about out of state transfers and it's $15 plus $2 for the BG check.

domokun
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
* Transfer fees total = $25 DROS fee + whatever the FFL wants to charge to transfer the firearm.
* PPT fee = $25 DROS fee + $10 (max) administrative, whatever you call it fee.

tenpercentfirearms
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't look at transfer prices as a cost factor, but as a how bad does a dealer want to do them. So if a dealer doesn't want the transfer market and feels it is a hassle, their price will be $100 or more. Basically take that as a "We don't want to do this and don't care if you go some where else for it." If their price is cheaper, then they don't mind transfers.

The CFLC has created a bit of a hassle and we are not that excited about transfers so we raised our price from $25 to $50. However, as AJAX22 pointed out, we do like regular customers so if you buy any other long gun from us, we just waive the $50 fee and piggy back it on the DROS for the gun we had priced right in order to make the paper work worth our while.

There is defnitely something something to the idea that if you take care of people they will be back. However, transfers don't keep brick and mortar store's doors open.

Transfers are what they are.

weezil_boi
12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
* Transfer fees total = $25 DROS fee + whatever the FFL wants to charge to transfer the firearm.
* PPT fee = $25 DROS fee + $10 (max) administrative, whatever you call it fee.

This is true unless you are The Gun Room in Elk Grove. They are located in a "special multi-jurisdictional task force" area that has been deemed legal for extra PPT fees and unicorn registration.

That particular store charges $36 for the PPTs. wow... breaking the law for a whopping buck. wow.