View Full Version : How to start hunting?

12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I was wondering how can I start hunting. I have always thought I should try it sooner or later, I have all the hard ware for it, now I just need to get through the paper work and learn where and how to do it.

I guess you have to get a hunting license? I think my local gun shop/range has these every month so that would be easy.

So what should I start hunting? I don't really know how I'll react to killing an animal, as long as I am eating it later I am sure I will be proud, but I was thinking I should start out small, like birds or something. I don't think I want to start hunting if I won't be eating what I kill though. So what do you guys reccomend to start with.

And finally, where is a good place, preferably around the LA county area to do this hunting. And how much will it cost?

By the way I have a friend who has all of the duck decoys and stuff, so I could take him with me and then I don't have to buy decoys, and I don't have to hunt alone.

Thanks in advance.

12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
First you'll need to take a State approved "Hunter Safety Class" pass teh test then pay for the license.

What do you want to hunt? Big game? Pig? Foul? Pick a season.

First timers are better overpaying for a guided hunt. If you're in Los Angeles then look into Tejon Ranch.

Find a Mentor or someone else who will take you along. Hunting is an art from stalking to skinning and then preperation. If done wrong you can bag the best game and ruin it.

Oh yea! No lead in the Cal Condor area. That includes Tajon Ranch.

Finally, I only hunt what I'll eat, except for varmint and cyote. I don't like foul...but ham, bacon , sausage mmm...mmm...good. also Pig hunting is year round with no limits.

12-29-2008, 10:50 AM
There is an online test you can take to get out of 8 hours of hunters ed (pay $15 after passing I think) so then all you need is 4 classroom hours and pass the actual hunting license test.

12-29-2008, 2:15 PM
Best bet is to show an interest to any friends you have who will get you into it. I have two friends who have shown an interest and I'm working on at least one of them now. He's gone with me twice this season (Duck hunting) but so far he's still not killed or even shot at anything. There are only a few weeks left in the season so we'll be going at least 3 more times till the end.

In my case, my dad introduced me to the great outdoors and hooked me when I was about 12.. I've been hunting since I was 13.. and have a fair amount of experience (waterfowl and upland game). Since dad is unable to hunt this year I've been taking my friend to the refuges in the north valley to get a taste of what it's like. He's already worked out what he needs and we'll keep going as long as he wants to learn. It's a little late inthe season to give it a go.. my advice would be try a guided hunt if you get your license.. otherwise the season is almost over.. do all you can to study up on it and hope for next year.

12-30-2008, 9:24 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will just get my license and wait for next year too come up so I can see if my buddy will take me duck hunting. Damn, looks like I have to wait a while...

12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
There is an online test you can take to get out of 8 hours of hunters ed (pay $15 after passing I think) so then all you need is 4 classroom hours and pass the actual hunting license test.

This is the way I did it, and it is definitely the way to go.

01-02-2009, 2:55 PM
hey HYBRIDATSUN350 - i see you liked my varget comment!

do the online thing. and when you are done, READ every reg for the game you are after, there are million things you can/cannot do depending on game, location and season.

if you buddy is a good duck hunter, then go with him (not sure what is in season) if not, quail are still in season for another few weeks. they are fairly plentiful here in CA. and not too hard to hunt without a dog. a billion times easier that say a public land pig. without a dog, best to walk thru brushy flat river bottoms, you can cover more ground and bird retrieval is much easier than a really thick brushy hillside. you can find recordings of their calls on the internet and then you will easily be able to hear if they are around where you are hunting, as thier calls are very unique. best to listen at dawn or dusk to find out where they might be and walk the area to try to get them to flush & fly. you can also spot and stalk. DFG has a guide to quail hunting online.

turkey will be in season in a few months. no big game until deer/elk/bear in the fall. pig are in all year, but will need to pay for a hunt as public land is near impossible. if you can get over your issues with not eating what you kill, then coyotes are non-game and open year round w/ no limits.

01-02-2009, 4:07 PM
License first of course. A mentor/friend is invaluable when it comes to starting out. Do not discount the opportunity to just go and watch either. Most people are going to want to see some willingness on your part before they partake in mentoring you. A good first hunt is a pheasant hunt on a ranch. The birds are planted so it makes them easier to hunt but its a great way to see what its all about. I have started friends this way and bring my kids out as observers (for now) as well. And they are darn good eatin'! Get yourself out in the woods too. Just being out there and observing whats around you is a great way to get in touch with nature and where/what you will be hunting.

Fire in the Hole
01-02-2009, 4:20 PM
glockman19: " I don't like foul...but ham, bacon , sausage mmm...mmm...good. also Pig hunting is year round with no limits."

Actually, I don't like any foul meat. It hurts my tummy, and gives me the green apple quick step.