PDA

View Full Version : Range Help

JDiddy
12-28-2008, 7:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a Benelli Super M90 purchased pre-ban and registered. The shotgun has a folding stock and pistol grip. I have taken the shotgun to 2 different indoor ranges here in California and the range master has immediately told me that I'm not able to fire my shotgun since it's a "banned" weapon. Is this how things are in California? Any help would help since I'm new to this area...thanks in advance gents.

AK4me
12-28-2008, 7:08 PM
a folding stock with a pistol grip makes a semi auto shotgun an assault weapon, but if it is registered and you have the paperwork that shouldnt matter.

JeffM
12-28-2008, 7:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a Benelli Super M90 purchased pre-ban and registered. The shotgun has a folding stock and pistol grip. I have taken the shotgun to 2 different indoor ranges here in California and the range master has immediately told me that I'm not able to fire my shotgun since it's a "banned" weapon. Is this how things are in California? Any help would help since I'm new to this area...thanks in advance gents.

If you sent in the registration paperwork and payed the fees to the DOJ before the ban deadline, then you should have a letter from the DOJ/CA AG stating as much. The letter will also have the identifying info in it that you sent to the DOJ while registering it.

Bring a copy of that letter with you to the range and they should let you shoot. If they don't, then it's their prerogative to loose your business.

Just make sure they know it's registered.

BTW, just filling out the paperwork at the time of purchase does not mean it is "registered". Registration was a process unique to the AW ban which required that one fill out a form identifying the make/model/caliber of the weapon and sending with it a fee (I forget how much it was), for each rifle/pistol/shotgun that one wished to register.

JDiddy
12-28-2008, 7:36 PM
Thanks for the great advice gents. The gun was registered with the DOJ but throughout my multiple moves via military the paperwork has since been lost. Is there a way to get a duplicate form? Sorry again for my ignorance of California laws.

JDay
12-28-2008, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the great advice gents. The gun was registered with the DOJ but throughout my multiple moves via military the paperwork has since been lost. Is there a way to get a duplicate form? Sorry again for my ignorance of California laws.

Call the CA DOJ.

RP1911
12-28-2008, 7:41 PM
Yes. Contact DOJ and request a copy. they will ask you to write a letter requesting a copy. you will also need to send a notorized copy of your Cal drivers license.