PDA

View Full Version : No Ammo sales before new year's?

marklbucla
12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
As I understand it, the city of LA has a ban on selling ammo in the week prior to New Year's. Are there any other areas in So Cal that has this same ban?

nick
12-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Probably San Francisco. That being said, each is surrounded by smaller cities with no such idiocy occurring there. For L.A., Burbank, Glendale, Santa Monica, Culver City, etc. have no such law.

oldschool88
12-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Is that just this year or is this an ongoing thing?

marklbucla
12-28-2008, 1:03 PM
as far as I know, it's been this way for the last 20 years or so.

oldschool88
12-28-2008, 1:11 PM
Thats one of the dumbest laws i've heard. Whats there "reason" for it, people shooting in the air @ midnight?

AlliedArmory
12-28-2008, 1:20 PM
i picked up ammo at wallyworld 2 days ago. 26th. does that count as in the week? Pico Rivera Store.

marklbucla
12-28-2008, 6:16 PM
Yeah, that's definitely within the banned week. Pico Rivera is it's own city though.

gazzavc
12-28-2008, 6:35 PM
The are 352 days out of 365 when you CAN buy it. Buy it BEFORE you ned it, and then sit back and relax.

domokun
12-28-2008, 6:49 PM
The are 352 days out of 365 when you CAN buy it. Buy it BEFORE you ned it, and then sit back and relax.

The other option is to just drive outside the city limits and buy your ammo.

XDshooter
12-28-2008, 7:36 PM
Thats one of the dumbest laws i've heard. Whats there "reason" for it, people shooting in the air @ midnight?

That's the exact reason.

hawk1
12-28-2008, 7:38 PM
I feel so much safer now...:rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
12-28-2008, 8:21 PM
as far as I know, it's been this way for the last 20 years or so.

F*****g freak'in BRILLIANT!

Who the hell votes for these arrogant mental deficients?

SJgunguy24
12-28-2008, 8:34 PM
I have to find my ATF yellow book. It's an L.A. county ord. I think the 4th of July is included also.

Kid Stanislaus
12-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Mythbusters TV show did a program on this business of a bullet falling out of the sky and killing somebody. They pretty much shot down the whole idea. (Now THAT'S a good pun!)

s2000news
12-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Never heard of that up in the Bay Area.

bulgron
12-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Mythbusters TV show did a program on this business of a bullet falling out of the sky and killing somebody. They pretty much shot down the whole idea. (Now THAT'S a good pun!)

Well, I didn't see that Myth Busters episode, but there is at least one documented case of a girl being killed by a bullet that was shot straight up in the air. It resulted in "Shannon's Law" in Arizona:

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special14/articles/1015coldcase15.html

Anyway, bottom line: shooting straight up into the air violates Rule 4 of Cooper's 4 Rules. Don't do it.

SJgunguy24
12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Never heard of that up in the Bay Area.

B, I think Oakland does have a law about ammo sales around New Years and 4th of July.

s2000news
12-28-2008, 11:37 PM
B, I think Oakland does have a law about ammo sales around New Years and 4th of July.

Oh. Never been to Oakland to buy anything... just pick up what fell of the trucks and all. Never ammo though. Damnit.

retired
12-28-2008, 11:38 PM
No one was injured in the two incidents we were briefed about one year, but the bullets did cause some damage.

One bullet shot from who knows where, went thru the roof of a house and into the shower, missing the homeowner who was taking one.

Another one in a different area went thru the roof of a VW bug parked in the street of a residential area. The bullet landed between the two front seats. No one was in the car.

We were briefed; tho I cannot link to the particular incident because I only recall it being briefed back in the late 80s, not the loc or the boy's name, of a young boy killed when a bullet hit him in the top of the head. They never found the shooter.

Librarian
12-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I wonder to whom that applies. So far as I can determine, nobody within Oakland city limits sells ammo -- because of this:
5.04.485 Firearms/ammunitions sales.
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, commencing January 1, 1998, for every person engaged in the business of selling firearms or firearms ammunition, as defined by this section, the tax shall be sixty dollars ($60.00) per year or fractional part thereof for the first two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) or less of gross receipts, plus twenty-four dollars ($24.00) per year for each additional one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) of gross receipts or fractional part thereof in excess of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) from selling firearms or firearms ammunition or from any other activity which is subject to tax under the provisions of this chapter.That taxed everything; that's primarily why the last gun store in the city, Siegel's, went out of business.

BTW, didn't find a date-based ammo-sales restriction in Oakland code (http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/oakland/).

But I live 20 miles further east, so might easily be wrong.

grammaton76
12-29-2008, 1:14 AM
I've been denied sales of ammo at Wal-Mart in Oceanside due to proximity to NYE or the Fourth, and I don't remember which it was.

However, it may have simply been a Wal-Mart policy and not an SD County policy.

gcvt
12-29-2008, 3:06 AM
Try to buy ammo in SF. I dare you. It's a FAIL waiting to happen....has been for many years. Who's gonna buy ammo in SF when there's only one shop left (HighBridge Arms) and the "sales tax" on ammo is 60%? Think back to the late 90's when they shut down the SF Gun Exchange downtown. Our local shops don't even sell Airsoft. The Manager of the Big5 store on Sloat Blvd. is terrified of guns and still hesitates to tell you where the next closest Big5 is that will sell you any guns.

geeknow
12-29-2008, 7:10 AM
Are there any actual ammo dealers in Los Angeles proper anymore? I know that most of the surrounding areas have a store or two, but within the city? cant recall one.

CSACANNONEER
12-29-2008, 7:15 AM
Are there any actual ammo dealers in Los Angeles proper anymore? I know that most of the surrounding areas have a store or two, but within the city? cant recall one.

Turner's in Reseda.

rayra
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM

...but a ****ty 'fact-checking'. Mythbusters didn't prove jack, except that freefall vertical velocity was too low. A round fired at a slant angle is certainly still lethal when it comes down. Simple ballistics. Which those morons on Mythbusters completely ignored.

The restriction has been in place for about 20yrs, with no noticeable dent in the number of third-world scum firing into the air. The LAPD's acoustic sensor program has been more effective.

There's also a purchase ban preceding 4th o'july, or was the last time I noticed. I keep quite a bit of ammo on hand of late, so it's never an issue for me anymore, should I wind up wanting to go to a range in the week before the 4th or New Years.

Shotgun Man
12-29-2008, 7:52 PM
The restriction has been in place for about 20yrs, with no noticeable dent in the number of third-world scum firing into the air. The LAPD's acoustic sensor program has been more effective.

What does this acoustic sensor program do? Is there a link? I couldn't find it with a rudimentary google search.

vwynn
12-29-2008, 8:03 PM
dont we want people to buy stuff? especially since we are in a recession?

o well. :19:

jrsportssupply
12-29-2008, 9:42 PM
It's a well-known, albeit undocumented and unproven, fact that stupid people can't plan ahead. That's why the ban works :rolleyes:

XDshooter
12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
What does this acoustic sensor program do? Is there a link? I couldn't find it with a rudimentary google search.

Search for gunfire detection system.

They even had it on and episode of future weapons.

FortCourageArmory
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
...but a ****ty 'fact-checking'. Mythbusters didn't prove jack, except that freefall vertical velocity was too low. A round fired at a slant angle is certainly still lethal when it comes down. Simple ballistics. Which those morons on Mythbusters completely ignored.

There's also a purchase ban preceding 4th o'july, or was the last time I noticed. I keep quite a bit of ammo on hand of late, so it's never an issue for me anymore, should I wind up wanting to go to a range in the week before the 4th or New Years.
Having just seen that particular Mythbusters, I have to comment. They did prove that a bullet fired straight up will not land with enough force to hurt someone. Once a bullet expends it's ballistic energy and falls back along roughly the route it came from, it is governed by the laws of physics and terminal velocity. But, they also showed that a bullet fired with any kind of "ballistic arc" is still as deadly as can be.

The whole City of L. A. restriction on ammo sales the week before New Year and 4th of July was, is and will remain merely political posturing. It doesn't make a difference since there are other incorporated cities (like Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Culver City, etc.) where you can still buy ammo.

Boots
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
remember.. that was only true if the bullet was shot straight upwards.
If there is any significant arc... it can still cause some damage on the way down.

Boots
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
If I remember right, they only proved that a shot straight up wasn't lethal... but they did point out that a projectile at an angle still has deadly velocity.

JDay
12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Stupid law but who doesn't always keep emergency ammo at home? I have a stash that never gets touched.

JDay
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
If I remember right, they only proved that a shot straight up wasn't lethal... but they did point out that a projectile at an angle still has deadly velocity.

They dis-proved it and then had an expert on the show who has handled cases of people getting killed by falling bullets. Take everything on that show with a grain of salt since they do not do their "experiments" in an actual lab setting.

XDshooter
12-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Take everything on that show with a grain of salt since they do not do their "experiments" in an actual lab setting.

Yes, Mythbusters does not adhere to any sort of scientific method. Lack of data, biased data, and inaccurate data acquisition is rampant on that show.

It's still entertaining though.