View Full Version : IMI Galil Magnum Research 308 Cali Legal?

12-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I thought any Galil with a receiver marked "Galil" or IMI were banned?

I read the AWID flowchart and I read this as banned..

However, check this out on the for sale section

12-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Large percentage chance it is a banned make/model.

Not sure if both Action Arms and Magnum Research marked them as Galils.

Penal Code 12276
As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(2) UZI and Galil.

12-27-2008, 11:55 PM

12-28-2008, 12:01 AM

12-28-2008, 12:12 AM

12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
This gets interesting.

Roberti-Roos says, "all of the following specified rifles:... Uzi and Galil".

However, if it's an Action Arms rifle, Galil is the model not the make with, say, Golani as the submodel. Harrott requires make/model specificity, and the phrasing "all Galil" implies a 'series' which would require specific breakdown.

Even the original Galil is an IMI Galil.

There is a real chance than the "Galil" entry in the Robert-Roos list actually doesn't ban anything :)

From a practical standpoint, I believe it falls in the class of "readily defendable but radioactive" - radioactive enough to best be avoided. It could get into a Son-of-Harrott style case.

12-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Doesn't the "make and model" requirement only deal with AR and AK series? Names like FAL, Galil, UZI, etc. on rifles are still not worked out, correct?

All of the Galils listed, with the exception of the domestic made Golani, are imported by many different companies including the maker IMI. Like the Saigas. I would avoid a "Galil" too. You still have the Haddar II and Golanis.

12-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Doesn't the "make and model" requirement only deal with AR and AK series? Names like FAL, Galil, UZI, etc. on rifles are still not worked out, correct?

The goal of Harrott was specificity & clarity. It ruled specifically that 'series' for AR/AK didn't apply, items had to be listed by make/model. If there is unclarity elsewhere, that in effect makes the descriptor in question into a series designator as well.

DOJ has also taken the stance throughout that (outside AR/AK series after Kasler) that if it's not on the Roberti-Roos list, it's not listed.

I will say this Galil matter is really pushing the limit to the max.

12-28-2008, 1:13 AM
Some Magnum Research imports do not have "Galil" marked on them.

Some Galil rifles (appear to be only Magnum Research imports) do not have
the word "Galil" stamped onto the receiver and these rifles are called
"Kalifornia Legal" and bring a premium price.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/995110459/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Rifles/Galil-Rifles/Preban_IMI_Galil_in_308_Only_marked_with_Magnum_Re search_stampings.htm

Model 332