View Full Version : Sig 226 vs. HK

12-27-2008, 9:02 AM
Looking at a Sig 226 in 40 cal . How does the HK stack up? Where is the best place to buy in LA area ?

12-27-2008, 9:12 AM
I have a P226R in .40 and absolutely love it

12-27-2008, 9:53 AM
I have a P226R in .40 and absolutely love it

Me too!! I know a lot of people like the HK, but do you want to spend that much money for plastic? Go for the Sig.

12-27-2008, 9:58 AM
Looking at a Sig 226 in 40 cal . How does the HK stack up? Where is the best place to buy in LA area ?

Depends on which HK...

IF I had to choose between a P226 and a HK P2000, I would pick the P2000 every time. I still have the P2000...:D

12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I think that the various safety options on the HK's are cool. But I don't like polymer guns, especially for a snappier round like a .40. I specifically wanted a stainless 226 to help with the recoil and I preferred to get one with a rail. I ended up getting just that and have a laser/light combo that I will put on it as soon as I pick it up from my FFL next week.

I bought this from a private party out of state.

01-02-2009, 2:00 PM
I have a german (no rail) p226 and love it! The 226 is one of the best pistols of all time.

01-02-2009, 2:11 PM
I have been in shoes before. Save your money...you will buy both. If you have been debating the pro's and con's in your mind long enough to post, the pro's of both of them will stick in your mind long enough, that you will want both :)

01-02-2009, 2:16 PM
I know many Armed guards I have worked with who carry a Sig P226 in .40 who love it. I don't understand it because I don't care for Sigs myself but to each his own. I would much rather have a H&K USP .45

01-02-2009, 2:48 PM
I currently own both...I have a Sig226 .40 and a HK USP .45 .

I love them both..the Sig226 just shoots..no issues..

I got the USP first , but have not been shooting it that much lately..too many toys..:D

The HK is huge.

Even with small hands, Its really easy to actuate the safety/decocking lever , the slide release..and specially the mag release...
I took it out of the safe the other day and I was really shocked how easy it was to get to the levers..

I love HK's , my first pistol that I ever owned was a HKp7 Psp..
I wish I could afford to own more ...:D

01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
get both

01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I would only own sig P if it was made in switzerland, otherwise-i own a p2000 hk and i rely on it as my primary in .40. nuff said?

01-04-2009, 1:04 AM
I have carried the USP40c every day since 2001.
I was forced to carry the P220 on duty for a while. glad to be rid of that one.
To each their own though.
Go to a range that rents them, shoot them both. Buy the one you like the best.

01-04-2009, 2:11 AM
I also have the 226 in .40 and the USP in .45acp. I like the USP much more but that may just be because I'm more of a 45 guy than a .40

The 226 is also heavy as hell

01-08-2009, 7:04 AM
I own quite a few SIGs, but only three HKs. My fullsize USP is chambered in 9mm, so I can only compare the P226 and USP in 9mm.

The P226 and USP are similar in size. Without actual measurement, I can't really say which one is bigger (if they're not equal).

Trigger Pull and Reset

The HK double action trigger pull leaves much to be desired. It is heavy and long. In my opinon, the SIG double action trigger feels much better. With single action trigger pulls, they feel pretty equal in terms of weight and distance. The SIG trigger reset is fairly long (unless you have the Short Reset Trigger installed). The HK reset is slightly shorter than the SIG, but not by much.

Accuracy and Reliability

I have decent combat accuracy with either pistol. I am able to achieve fist sized groups at 25 yards, which is what I work towards. I am not a bullseye shooter, so I cannot really speak on the inherent accuracy of either pistol. They each fulfill the purpose that I bought them for. I don't doubt that either pistol can shoot much better than my skill level. I do shoot the SIG slightly better, but that can be attributed to the fact that I've done most of my training on a SIG.

To date, I have not had any reliability issues with either my HK USP or P226 in 9mm. I did have a feed problem while running a dirty and dry SIG in a training class. A little CLP and I was back in business. I haven't had a chance to run my HK USP hard...yet.

Ergonomics and Controls

In terms of ergonomics, the SIG seems to fit my needs better. I like the placement of the controls. I don't have to change my grip much when decocking, releasing the slide or dropping a mag. The grip isn't too big and isn't too small. The HK mag release takes a little getting used to. I end up using my index finger to release the mags instead of my thumb. The decocker / safety on my V1 took me a little while to get used to. I had to change my right thumb to ride the safety / decockin lever. I'm not used to utilizing a thumb safety (a la 1911), but once I got used to it, I had no problems. For some reason, I always expect the HK to be blockier than it is. The grip feels pretty nice, actually. I don't know why I expect it to feel bad.

Takedown and disassembly

The SIG takedown lever makes disassembly a piece of cake! The HK isn't bad, but it definately isn't as easy as the SIG. Disassembly of each pistol is pretty straight-forward. Reassembly is easy with the SIG, the HK isn't tough, but once again isn't as easy as the SIG.

Price and availability

This is quite a concern for me, well, because I am a cheap bastage! For me, HKs are too expensive to purchase new. I just can't drop that kind of coin on a polymer pistol. I was able to buy it used and have been extremely happy with it. The SIG also commands a premium price. I've been a fan of the SIG CPO program. This allowed me to buy re-conditioned pistols at a much fairer price. In the used market, the HK still can command over $600 while the SIG seems to stick around $550ish. I don't really look into resale prices because I absolutely hate selling pistols! Bottom line, for a new SIG or HK, you'll be spending well over $700 and spilling into the $800s. Are they worth it? It depends on your financial situation. For me, I'll stick to used or CPO.

In terms of availablility, most gun shops carry both pistols. I do remember a time when dealers weren't carrying HKs as much because of how difficult HK was to deal with. From what I understand it has gotten much better.

Both the SIG P226 and the HK are excellent pistols. If I could only have one, it would be a tough decision. I would probably stick with the SIG if only because I've done more training with it than any other pistol. I would feel equally comfortable defending my life either pistol.

01-08-2009, 9:11 AM
I have owned both a Sig and HK... but sold them both. Not a big fan of Sigs, never understood the hype. I dislike the placement of the slide release and the width of the grip. They are damn accurate and have nice triggers though. The HK USP series have also wide grips and the trigger sucked, but I loved the placement of all the controls. Also, they are super reliable, not a single problem with the few thousand rounds I put through it. In the end, I say neither, get a CZ.

01-08-2009, 9:27 AM
I like Sig226 much better than USP9. The USP really didn't impress me that much for the price they are asking, the quality just aren't much more than a Glock(slightly better finish that's about it).
Sig 226 has a great DA trigger and every part just tightly hold on to each other. Definitely one of best 9mm out there.

08-08-2009, 8:56 PM
Shoot them both and get the one you like. Personally, the HKs have too many options on it for me. More things to confuse. I like Sigs as they don't have any safeties to deal with. I've shot HKs and they're nice but I like the Sigs slightly better. Personally the plastic vs metal is a non-issue for me. You won't wear either one out

08-10-2009, 3:32 AM
My duty weapon is a sig p226r with the SRT kit installed. It is by far the best shooting handgun I have shot. With the hogue rubber grips, it just feeels so natural in my hand... I'd definately go with the Sig.

08-11-2009, 8:12 PM
Well I have 4 Sigs and 5 Glocks, sorry NO HK pistols as of this moment. My son has an HK and it fits his hand very well according to him, this is extremely important if your going to shoot the pistol accurately and he does to the tune of 3 inch groups at 60ft or 20 yards.

I did have an HK pistol once upon a time but my hand did not like the feel, bye bye birdie so they say. They are all very dependable, accurate pistols. However, I favor the GLOCK for a full time carry pistol.

08-20-2009, 3:58 AM
226 !

I have had several HK's ( notice "had" ) and own 4-5 personal guns that are 226's. Yes I know how can one not know how many 226's they own ? Its rough ! LOL.

226 is nice and so is the HK. But the 226 just fit me better. Now a P30 in .40 would be cool...... :eek:

08-20-2009, 12:45 PM
HK P2000 FTW

Adjustable grip straps too in case the default ones are too wide/narrow.

08-28-2009, 7:38 AM
Looking at a Sig 226 in 40 cal . How does the HK stack up?

Don't have the 226 in 40 (only in 9mm) but have the 229 in 40 & HK USPc and P2000sk (both in 40).... P229 shoots tighter groups for me over both HKs. Depending in what you want the gun for, HD, plinking or carrying???

for Home Defense... go with the Sig - weight, balance, great all around
for carrying...go with the HK's, less weight and also..P2000 or P2000sk..adjustable grip

both are great shooters for plinking... but again..beating a dead horse..try them both at the range, whatever fits your hand best & shoots best for you.. can't go wrong with either.. :p